PDA

View Full Version : Fallout table top

alastordracul
2011-12-12, 02:36 PM
I'm currently working on a post apocalyptic game based on the Fallout world. My current problem is finding a good system to use. At first I wanted to use a Pathfinder mod of d20 Modern/Apocalypse that on of my friends had been working on. http://rogueanima.wikispaces.com/d20+Modern+Rules+Changes
I have no problem with the system but I feel its been done too many times with my friends. Does anyone have suggestion on a different system?

Yora
2011-12-12, 02:48 PM
Maybe take a look at shadowrun and see if that would be easy to convert.

Vespe Ratavo
2011-12-12, 04:42 PM
Fallout was originally supposed to be a GURPS game, the SPECIAL system was partially based on it, and there's an unofficial supplement with weapon stats and the like. Might want to check it out.

Ksheep
2011-12-12, 07:36 PM
There was going to be a Fallout D20 game around 2006, but due to legal issues it had to change it's name and drop a fair number of the actual Fallout monsters and such. It got released under the name Exodus. Should be relatively easy to use this as a starting point.

There is also a GURPS-based Fallout which you should be able to find without too much hassle.

I have not played either, so I don't know which is "better", but I'd say check them out and see how well they fit what you're looking for. Also, don't forget to make sure that your players are willing to learn a new system if you throw something new at them…

Xalops
2011-12-12, 07:41 PM
If I'm remembering correctly, on the Disc for Fallout tactics or Fallout 2, they included all the content to play the Fallout PnP game. If you have them, you might want to check their contents.

EDIT: You might also want to check this out:
http://www.paforge.com/fallout.html

Maerok
2011-12-12, 09:17 PM
d20 Modern or Shadowrun. Honestly, what would make a Fallout game require some obscure system? A perk system?

The d100 Fallout PnP is an easy find but it's awkward. http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

kyoryu
2011-12-13, 12:38 AM
d20 Modern or Shadowrun. Honestly, what would make a Fallout game require some obscure system? A perk system?

The d100 Fallout PnP is an easy find but it's awkward. http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Perks are nothing but GURPS advantages with a different name.

Removing GURPS was done *very* late in the cycle.

Kol Korran
2011-12-13, 02:24 AM
http://www.paforge.com/submissions/fallout/fallout_pnp_2_0.pdf

that's the only one i know of, though i never tried to play it. as i understand it's supposed to be VERY true to the game.

Elvenoutrider
2011-12-13, 07:14 PM
The problem with the d20 tabletop version is it works really well on the computer, not so much on tabletop because of the shear number of calculations that become necessary. Computers can do these in seconds across the entire board, a group of players get bogged down.

The best fallout themed game I ever played used the deadlands system.

RandomNPC
2011-12-13, 09:12 PM
Exodus even calls one of the drugs Psycho in the description, everything fallout is there, they just had to change the names and art. Super mutant became Trans-Genetic Mutant, Ghouls became Ghuls, with an accent over the u. All kinds of things like that, it's D20, just make sure you and your players get the same version, someone was asked not to return to my game after a blowup over xp...

jpreem
2011-12-14, 06:06 AM
Gurps works rather well. Its a bit tricky with all the different tech levels in the same world. The hardest would be the to set reasonable wealth levels and prices for all the stuff(when you got tribal hunter-gatherers with smg-s -then what is their income and how much should the smg cost vs. a spear)

There is a free to download Gurps Fallout Compilation in the web. Ain't too good, but it solved this problem by giving the world average TL5 and standardizing all prices. It has price tables for all kinds of stuff.

Other than this mucking around (and to be honest economics is hard in most if not all gamesystems and can mostly just be winged if you want to). Gurps works just dandy.
Originally Fallout was planned to use gurps anyway.

Nerd-o-rama
2011-12-16, 10:40 AM
Gurps works rather well. Its a bit tricky with all the different tech levels in the same world. The hardest would be the to set reasonable wealth levels and prices for all the stuff(when you got tribal hunter-gatherers with smg-s -then what is their income and how much should the smg cost vs. a spear)

Generally, in Fallout, you get better weapons by raiding old military bases or finding a cadre of raiders or bandits with slightly better guns than you and killing them. And if you want something else, you barter your extra guns for it.

And while I'm here: Fallout might be one of the very few things I don't automatically recommend Mutants & Masterminds for. GURPS should cover the grittiness pretty well.

Frosty
2011-12-16, 08:19 PM
http://www.paforge.com/submissions/fallout/fallout_pnp_2_0.pdf

that's the only one i know of, though i never tried to play it. as i understand it's supposed to be VERY true to the game.
It plays 99% like the computer games. People need to have calculators and be prepared to do quick arithmetic though to keep the flow going. Damn vindicator miniguns and their 25 attack rolls...

Newman
2011-12-20, 06:36 AM
How would one go about adapting this tabletop to the Fallout Equestria setting? There's some stuff that's downright new, such as Unicorns (who work a lot like Bioshock splicers, combat-wise) and Pegasi (they can fly and manipulate the weather). There's also the Goddesses.

Nerd-o-rama
2011-12-20, 02:18 PM
How would one go about adapting this tabletop to the Fallout Equestria setting? There's some stuff that's downright new, such as Unicorns (who work a lot like Bioshock splicers, combat-wise) and Pegasi (they can fly and manipulate the weather). There's also the Goddesses.

I hear Legend is compatible with regular Friendship is Magic ponies, so perhaps a modification of that...?

Km0nk3y
2011-12-20, 02:53 PM
A friend of mine actually made a Fallout Roleplaying Game a few years back, but due to copyright issues due to the Fallout 3 release, the name was changed to EXODUS. It is pretty typical D20 modern in your renamed setting full of "Ghuls", "Gene Mutants" etc...

Otherwise I once played in a Fallout Game that used the ShadowRun core rules adapted for magic removal, that ran pretty well.