PDA

View Full Version : RAW cost for Boots of Exp. Retreat (3.5)

nyjastul69
2011-12-12, 03:11 PM
I'm not well versed with the item creation rules and I'm currently AFB. What's the cost for crafting Boots of Expeditious Retreat using the Craft Wonderous Item feat? I'm the DM and the player is claiming it's 4000gp. That seems a bit low.

deuxhero
2011-12-12, 03:12 PM
Boots of Striding and Springing (5,500 gp)-jump bonus (Skill bonuses are skill boost^2*100, so 5*5*100=2500) =price*1.5 (as the speed boost is the cheaper and thus cost more for having an additional function) for a total of 2000

CigarPete
2011-12-12, 03:16 PM
Sounds right to me. DMG has 2000gp base for use-activated or continuous, multiplied by 2 for a min/lvl duration. 1st level spell and requires 1st level caster, so that makes for 4000gp, assuming you use their guidelines. That is the market value of these, cost to craft would be 2000.

nyjastul69
2011-12-12, 03:26 PM
Sounds right to me. DMG has 2000gp base for use-activated or continuous, multiplied by 2 for a min/lvl duration. 1st level spell and requires 1st level caster, so that makes for 4000gp, assuming you use their guidelines. That is the market value of these, cost to craft would be 2000.

I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around them being less expensive than boots of striding and springing when boots of ER seem considerably better. I'm pretty sure SaS work of Longstrider which must be higher in level than ER. I guess that would explain it.

deuxhero
2011-12-12, 03:29 PM
Oh right, Expeditious Retreat is a 30 feet boost, not 10

Remember the boots of S&S have a jump bonus, equaling *1.5(+2500) to the cost.

Still, this may be a case where the guidelines show as just guidelines. The existence of an item that does that same thing (roughly) says they are not to be used here (same thing with GMW swords)

dextercorvia
2011-12-12, 03:29 PM
The rules you mention are actually guidelines, and DMs are expected to adjust the price if it seems off, or to decide the item can't be made period (the use activated sword of true striking for example).

Also -- never be away from your books. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues)

Lateral
2011-12-12, 03:31 PM
I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around them being less expensive than boots of striding and springing when boots of ER seem considerably better. I'm pretty sure SaS work of Longstrider which must be higher in level than ER. I guess that would explain it.

There is a reason the item creation guidelines are just guidelines and aren't meant to be freely used. See also: Sword of (use-activated) Wraithstrike, 12,000 GP.

nyjastul69
2011-12-12, 06:42 PM
The rules you mention are actually guidelines, and DMs are expected to adjust the price if it seems off, or to decide the item can't be made period (the use activated sword of true striking for example). Also -- never be away from your books. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues) Yeah, I know they're guidelines as opposed to hard and fast rules. I assumed I was heading into the 'having to eyeball it' realm. I just wanted to double check the math. Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the SRD, my not-so-smart phone doesn't render that page very well. Thank you all for the input. I'll either eyeball it or, more likely, simply disallow it.

dextercorvia
2011-12-12, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I know they're guidelines as opposed to hard and fast rules. I assumed I was heading into the 'having to eyeball it' realm. I just wanted to double check the math. Thanks for the link. I'm aware of the SRD, my not-so-smart phone doesn't render that page very well. Thank you all for the input. I'll either eyeball it or, more likely, simply disallow it.

This might work better (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35), each link is a .rtf which should render fairly well.

Waddacku
2011-12-12, 09:43 PM
This is one of those cases where you ought to look at what bonus it gives, rather than what the spell it runs on is. I'm not sure what the pricing guidelines on speed increases are, though... Also, Horseshoes of Speed cost 3000 for +30' speed. If that seems too cheap for a pair of boots (considering it's more constantly useful and all, being directly on the PC), could easily argue double or triple price (it's half as many pieces boosting the speed, and it's not like formulas using squares are unusual).