PDA

View Full Version : Good 3rd Party Spells 3.0/5

fencepainter
2011-12-12, 10:04 PM
I'm looking to shake some things up in a forthcoming game. My plan is to throw some spells (among other things) at the players that they are less familiar with. My group uses only WoTC products so I was hoping for suggestions. Specifically, I'd like some recommendations on spells that you like from third-party sources (It would be great if you could tell me the source as well, if you please). Interesting spells, spells you wish WoTC had thought of, annoying spells, innovative spells, etc. If you think they are noteworthy, I'd like to hear about them.

Psyren
2011-12-12, 11:19 PM
Pathfinder has tons of spells that aren't in 3.5, and many of the ones that are have been altered enough to seem new. Have you looked through their list? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells)

And for an extra layer of separation, PF has it's own list of 3rd-party spells (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells) as well.

deuxhero
2011-12-13, 12:51 AM
Try 3P Psionics, I'm told there is some really good ones (due to psionic fans being pissed at the low quality of Complete Crud enough to make their own sourcebook)

ShriekingDrake
2011-12-13, 11:02 AM
While these are not "published" third party spells, consider the Megaliths in my sig.

Lateral
2011-12-13, 05:17 PM
Try 3P Psionics, I'm told there is some really good ones (due to psionic fans being pissed at the low quality of Complete Crud enough to make their own sourcebook)

3.P psionics is pretty much all just stuff in the XPH, converted to PF and (mostly) vastly improved, at least in Psionics Unleashed. The second one hasn't been fully released yet, I believe, but will contain more completely new content. I think parts of it have been released as PDFs, though.

There's always Dreamscarred Press and Hyperconscious psionic content- they're quite good. Also, check out the Homebrew section of these boards- it isn't even 3rd party stuff, but a good amount of it is as well-made or better than most 3rd party materials. You'll want to be careful to make sure that whatever homebrew material you look at is well-reviewed enough to work without being broken, though.

deuxhero
2011-12-13, 05:57 PM
Third party, not 3.p

Palanan
2011-12-13, 10:13 PM
If you can find them, I recommend The Book of Eldritch Might and its successor, The Book of Eldritch Might II, written by Monte Cook for Malhavoc Press. Many dozens of new arcane spells, some of them quite tricksy. I allow my players most WoTC sourcebooks, but I keep the Eldritch Might books in reserve for myself, precisely so I can throw a few little surprises at the players.

There's a third book in the series (excitingly dubbed The Book of Eldritch Might III) which is decidedly meh by comparison; and there's a parallel sourcebook for divine magic, The Book of Hallowed Might, likewise by Mr. Cook. All of these also include feats, magic items, one or two creatures, the occasional PrC or variant base class, etc., etc. I can't speak to the balance or relative power of anything in them, but if you look through them--especially BEM I and II--you'll more than likely find a few small gems you'll want to use.

isotunknown
2012-01-15, 01:57 PM
There are some good spells in Kalamar; but be careful, some are overpowered.