PDA

View Full Version : Games at School

Stabber
2011-12-12, 11:13 PM
Okay....so my friends and i have a whole free period in class....but our teacher wont let us use our dice......any ideas of a way to calculate dice rolls? or any ideas for combat games that we could play with graph paper and pencils?

Erloas
2011-12-13, 12:19 AM
Why can't you use dice? Nothing about them I would see as a problem.

As for calculating dice roles, it depends what you have available. Should be trivial to find a program to do that for many phones. As for calculating it, it depends on what type of calculators you have available. Many "science" calculators have a random function which will work, and graphing calculators can be programmed to do it really easily.

dehro
2011-12-13, 03:57 AM
stuff technology!
what's wrong with using good old pen and paper?
use an old gamebook. many of them have 2 little dice/numbers printed in the corner of each page...for precisely that purpose..only D6 though.
you could also use the same principle and create your own "random dice results" booklet. all you need to do then is to write little "dice numbers" for each dice (d4-d20 as may be) on every corner of the pages of your thickest school book.
when you're done and need to throw a dice, you just open a random page in your book, and check the resulting dice number.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-12-13, 04:38 AM
If your teacher allows phones on the table and you have mobile internet...Invisible Castle (www.invisiblecastle.com), though I don't know how well it works on Mobile.

JabberwockySupafly
2011-12-13, 05:01 AM
I ran into the "No Dice, No Cards" rule back in my day in High School. The general rule behind it is because they don't want students gambling, and by not allowing the two most common forms of gambling devices (Dice and Cards), they limit what students can gamble on.

As for ways of doing random number generation without dice, it can be complicated or easy, depending on what you have available. Any iTouch device or smart phone can download numerous dice programs, most of them for free, to substitute the rolls required. The Game Book "dice page" suggestion dehro posted is also a good one, albeit a bit tedious to create it nonetheless is far more accessible and doesn't cost a sultan's hoard.

Another one, and this may sound weird & incredibly dated, is if any of you happen to have a fairly decent pocket calculator. We used a RNG (Random Number Generator) that someone coded on their old TI calculator (I'm 30+, so this was a pretty big deal back in my day) in place of dice and it worked very well. You just had to enter the number range, and it would randomly pick a number between the two.

Driderman
2011-12-13, 06:46 AM
I know there are dice-rolling apps for smartphones, I just don't know precisely what they're called. "Dice-roller" might be a safe bet, though :)

dehro
2011-12-13, 11:33 AM
I just downloaded one on my samsung phone..indeed it is called diceroller (by rhubbit) and is free

Lorn
2011-12-13, 12:24 PM
Do you have computer access during this time?

If yes, I'm assuming you have some form of spreadsheet software available.

There's usually a random number generator, and from there it'd be fairly simple to change it to a dice roller, with the added bonus of being able to then get things like the amount of rolls under or over a certain value.

I made one with Excel a while back, but sadly it's been lost for some time, otherwise I'd upload it to somewhere for you.

Volatar
2011-12-13, 12:29 PM
We had such a rule back in Middle school. Dice and cards were not allowed to prevent gambling.

What did we do?

We called their bluff. We simply brought our dice and cards and played DnD and MTG openly at lunch every day. Early on one of the assistant principles appeared and told us to stop. We simply replied: "The spirit of the law is the prevention of gambling. We are not gambling. If you really want to prevent your top six students from playing Dungeons and Dragons, then do so."

She backed off. The principals convened later that day, and called in several of our parents, who told them the exact same thing.

They changed the rule to a simple no gambling rule the next week.

Do you have computer access during this time?

If yes, I'm assuming you have some form of spreadsheet software available.

There's usually a random number generator, and from there it'd be fairly simple to change it to a dice roller, with the added bonus of being able to then get things like the amount of rolls under or over a certain value.

I made one with Excel a while back, but sadly it's been lost for some time, otherwise I'd upload it to somewhere for you.

Random.org works as well.

LansXero
2011-12-13, 01:05 PM
actually, just a simple browser should work, since there is a dice roller in the SRD: http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20dicebag/

tribble
2011-12-13, 10:00 PM
We had such a rule back in Middle school. Dice and cards were not allowed to prevent gambling.

What did we do?

We called their bluff. We simply brought our dice and cards and played DnD and MTG openly at lunch every day. Early on one of the assistant principles appeared and told us to stop. We simply replied: "The spirit of the law is the prevention of gambling. We are not gambling. If you really want to prevent your top six students from playing Dungeons and Dragons, then do so."

She backed off. The principals convened later that day, and called in several of our parents, who told them the exact same thing.

They changed the rule to a simple no gambling rule the next week.

Random.org works as well.

See, you're lucky and have parents that would back you up on such things. My mom always wanted me not to rock the boat.