PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Zamonia Lindworms

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-12, 11:29 PM
Lindworm
Lindworms are reptilian humanoids that live almost exclusively in the hollowed-out mountain called Lindworm Castle. They are known for their literary talent, many of Zamonia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225592)'s most legendary authors and poets being the whimsical lindworms.

The dinosaurs boast claws, tails, and stunted, useless wings. Their green scales provide protection against attacks and the elements, and their sharp minds allow them to make life-saving split-second decisions, making lindworms adept adventurers.

When a lindworm is born, their parents select another lindworm to be their "authorial godfather". The authorial godfather teaches the young dinosaur reading, writing, and the intricacies of Zamonian literature. They shape their godchild's narrative voice, and pass their possessions on to them when they die.

+2 Intelligence, -2 Dexterity. Lindworms are quick-witted and creative, but their bulky bodies make them somewhat clumsy compared to other races.
Medium: As Medium creatures, lindworms have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Lindworms base land speed is 30 feet.
+1 natural armour bonus.
+4 bonus to Knowledge (Zamonian Liturature).
+2 bonus to Jump. Lindworm wings are useless for flying and gliding, but help with jumping.
Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass lindowrm takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Lindworm Feats

Thick Scales
Your scales are tougher than average.
Prerequisite: Lindworm, Constitution 13.
Benefit: Your natural armor bonus increases to +2.

Impenetrable Scales
Your scales are have hardened to the point of being very effective armour, and can provide extra protection when they are needed most.
Prerequisite: Lindworm, Thick Scales, Constitution 15.
Benefit: Your natural armor bonus increases to +3. In addition, while at fewer than half maximum hit points, you gain DR equal to your level/-.

Mind Armour
Your mind is protected, as well as your body.
Prerequisite: Lindworm, Intelligence 15.
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to Will saves. This bonus increases to +3 while you are at fewer than half hit points. In addition, you are immune to fear effects.

Lindworm Pride
You do not suffer lesser beings.
Prerequisite: Lindworm, Charisma 15, at least 3 class levels.
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus Armour Class, and a +2 bonus to Saving Throws against creatures with at least 2 hit dice fewer than you.

Dinosaur Sweat
Your sweat is particularly pungent, and strikes fear into the hearts of your foes.
Prerequisite: Lindworm, Constitution 13.
Benefit: When you are scared, angry, or aggravated to a significant level (determined by DM), you take a -2 penalty to all social skill checks besides Intimidate, and a +4 bonus to Intimidate. In addition, while in this state, all enemies within 15 feet must make a Fortitude save with a DC equal to your Constitution score + your total number of class levels. If they fail, they take a -1 penalty to all d20 rolls until the start of their next turn.

Will to Survive
While injured, your survival instincts kick in, making you near-immune to pain and giving you the motivation you need to survive.
Prerequisite: Lindworm, Wisdom 13.
Benefit: When at fewer than half hit points, your speed is increased by 5 feet, you gain a +1 bonus to saving throws, and a +1 bonus to armour class. While at one fifth your maximum hit points or fewer, you also gain damage reduction 5/- and your speed is increased by another 5 feet.

Lyndworm
2011-12-13, 07:06 AM
Lyndworm
You rang? :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, though I'm not familiar with Zamonia stuff or the intended balance point, this seems pretty solid. It doesn't seem absurdly strong or weak when compared to most other LA +0 races. I can only see two issues, and to be honest, only one of them's really an issue.

The Knowledge bonus seems incredibly specific and, though flavorful, I have a hard time imagining it being used in a game at all, let alone for any real effect. This is a personal observation, and not a mechanical problem. Even without the bonus, I'd say the race is still solid, so it's essentially a flavor ability.

You've not listed what Type of creature these dudes are. Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, Dragon, and any combination of the (dragonblood) and (lindworm) subtypes seems perfectly fine, to me. (Non-standard creature Types hurt about as much as they help, especially in the early game, so I don't see the big deal in handing them out like candy.) It may be worth noting that if such a race were published by WotC, it would likely not be Humanoid. All other Humanoid creatures (to my knowledge) have a standard human-like build (upright-ish, one head, two arms, two legs), and the flavor text for Monstrous Humanoid implies that any creature that seems Humanoid but has animalistic or monstrous features should instead be a Monstrous Humanoid.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-13, 01:23 PM
I tweaked the race and added some feats. I intend on adding more.

Also, I think lindowrms are just humanoids. In the books, they have reptilian bodies, but produce sweat and body heat.

Howler Dagger
2011-12-13, 06:37 PM
Claws, but no claw attack, tails, but nothing tail-related?

The Underlord
2011-12-13, 06:42 PM
In addition, while at fewer than half maximum hit points, you gain damage level/-.
What? I think you meant 'DR equal to your level/-'

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-14, 12:25 AM
I added another feat. Optimus Yarnspinner, the main protagonist from The City of Dreaming Books (http://www.amazon.com/City-Dreaming-Books-Walter-Moers/dp/1585678996), certainly possessed this one.

Eldan
2011-12-14, 05:07 AM
Optimus? Really? Strange.

Anyway, I'll have to look into homebrewing contagious intelligence. Probably just as a disease.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-14, 10:57 AM
Optimus? Really? Strange.

Did you read the whole book?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-14, 12:25 PM
I added another Optimus-inspired feat. I'm wondering if this one is a little overpowered.

Also, I plan to do a couple more feats, and then a prestige class. Maybe some items, too. This is fun!

Eldan
2011-12-14, 12:29 PM
Did you read the whole book?

In German, and I actually read five Zamonia books, total. I was just wondering how they came up with the name "Optimus" for the English version. Yarnspinner, I can see, but Optimus is strange.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-14, 12:41 PM
In German, and I actually read five Zamonia books, total. I was just wondering how they came up with the name "Optimus" for the English version. Yarnspinner, I can see, but Optimus is strange.

Oh! I thought you meant it was strange that he had that feat.

Claws, but no claw attack, tails, but nothing tail-related?
Lindworm tails are stunted and useless, and lindworm claws are blunt.

Eldan
2011-12-14, 01:21 PM
On dinosaur sweat:

TheDC is highly unorthodox. DCs are usually based on ability modifiers, not scores, and usually 10+ 1/2 class level, to compensate for that. Otherwise, you are easily looking at DCs of 17-19 on level one, which are very hard to pass. And a -1 to all rolls in every combat shouldn't be neglected.