PDA

View Full Version : Shadow (3.5 Base Class) [PEACH]

Sparrow
2011-12-13, 12:58 AM
First of all, I'd like to say that this is my first homebrew and I ask that you don't criticize me too harshy. I realize that it is not as good as it should be, and I will make edits to it when I figure out what else to add. So, here is:

The Shadow:

*Insert Picture*

The target cautiously walked down the corridor. His footsteps were the only things that broke the silence. He looks back quickly, sees nothing. He turns back forward. sees nothing. He continues walking and sees a shoe in a shadow. He begins to frantically stumble backwards as if he had seen a ghost. From behind, a dagger sinks into the man's heart. A hooded figure walks over to the shoe and places it back on his left foot.
---Last Moment's of a Shadow's target.

The Shadow is a stealthy trouble-making scoundrel. They rely on the shadows for their strength. Without shadows, they are nothing. They make quick thought-out strikes to eliminate their enemies. In the above Anecdote, a Shadow plans his strike by placing his shoe in a shadow, giving the appearance that he was hiding in that shadow, while he waiting invisible in a different one. As the target stumbled back, the Shadow prepared to strike, giving him a swift, clean kill. A Shadow knows how to infiltrate and hide in any situation. They use their quick wits to fool guards as they slip past. To aid them, they use clever illusions and magical tricks. Their arcane ability is one of their many tools that they have at their disposal.

Making a Shadow:

Abilities: Strength is good to have for damage output, but Dexterity seems to take higher priority, being the main source of stealth without higher level spells. Constitution is always good to have, since a d6 hit die makes them rather squishy. Intelligence is definitely a must have because the Shadow relys on it for spells and Shadow Stride ability.

Race: Shadows can be from any race, although they seem to be more prominent among the Grey Elves due to their nimble bodies and quick wits.

Alignment: Any non-lawful

Starting Gold: As Rogue

Hit Die: D6

{table=head]Level|Base attack|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|0 lv|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Spells;Sneak Attack +1d6|2|—|—|—|—|—|—
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Low-Light Vision|3|0|—|—|—|—|—
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Sneak Attack +2d6|3|1|—|—|—|—|—
4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Shadow's Stride; Shadow Safeguard 1|3|2|0|—|—|—|—
5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sneak Attack +3d6;Evasion|3|3|1|—|—|—|—
6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Darkvision; Shadow Safeguard 2|3|3|2|—|—|—|—
7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Sneak Attack +4d6|3|3|2|0|—|—|—
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Hide in Plain Sight;Shadow Safeguard 3|3|3|3|1|—|—|—
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Shadow Jump 20/day; Sneak Attack +5d6; Shadow Safeguard 4|3|3|3|2|—|—|—
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Ebon Eyes|3|3|3|2|0|—|—
11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Sneak Attack +6d6|3|3|3|3|1|—|—
12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Shadow's Safeguard 5|3|3|3|3|2|—|—
13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Sneak Attack +7d6|3|3|3|3|2|0|—
14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|Shadow Jump 40/day;Shadow Safeguard 6|4|3|3|3|3|1|—
15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Sneak Attack +8d6; |4|4|3|3|3|2|—
16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Improved Evasion;Shadow Safeguard 7|4|4|4|3|3|2|0
17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Sneak Attack +9d6|4|4|4|4|3|3|1
18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Shadow Safeguard 8|4|4|4|4|4|3|2
19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Shadow Jump 80/day; Sneak Attack +10d6|4|4|4|4|4|4|3
20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Shadow Safeguard 9|4|4|4|4|4|4|4
[/table]

Skill Points: 6+Int (x4 at 1st Level)

Skill List: Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Disable Device(Int), Disguise(Cha), Escape Artist(Dex), Hide(Dex), Knowledge[Local](Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silenty(Dex), Open Lock(Dex), Perform(Cha), Profession(Wis), Search(Int), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis), Use Magic Device(Cha), Use Rope(Dex)

Spells Known
{table=head]Class Level|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th
1|4|—|—|—|—|—|—
2|5|2|—|—|—|—|—
3|6|3|—|—|—|—|—
4|6|3|2|—|—|—|—
5|6|3|3|—|—|—|—
6|6|3|3|—|—|—|—
7|6|3|4|2|—|—|—
8|6|3|4|3|—|—|—
9|6|3|4|3|—|—|—
10|6|3|4|4|2|—|—
11|6|3|4|4|3|—|—
12|6|3|4|4|3|—|—
13|6|3|4|4|4|2|—
14|6|3|4|4|4|3|—
15|6|5|4|4|4|3|—
16|6|5|5|4|4|4|2
17|6|5|5|5|4|4|3
18|6|5|5|5|5|4|3
19|6|5|5|5|5|5|4
20|6|5|5|5|5|5|5
[/table]

Class Features:The following are Class Features for a shadow

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Shadows are proficient with light armor but not shields. They are also proficient with all simple weapons, rapiers, short swords, scimitars, and longswords.

Spells: A Shadow casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the Shadow spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time. To learn or cast a spell, a bard must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a Shadow’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the Shadow's Intelligence modifier. Like other spellcasters, a Shadow can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Shadow. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Intelligence score. When Table: The Shadow indicates that the Shadow gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Intelligence score for that spell level. The Shadow’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A Shadow begins play knowing four 0-level spells of your choice. At most new Shadow levels, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: The Shadow. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a Shadow knows is not affected by his Intelligence score; the numbers on Table: Spells Known are fixed.)

As noted above, a Shadow need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level.

Sneak Attack:
If a Shadow can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The Shadow’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Shadow flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two Shadow levels there after. Should the Shadow score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Shadow can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A Shadow can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Shadow must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Shadow cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Low-light Vision:

A young Shadow can see in the smallest amount of light, as long as there is still light. At 2nd Level, A Shadow gains Low-light Vision. She can now see twice as far as a normal character in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Shadow's Stride:

A Shadow is a master of stealth. They learn to disappear into thin air at a moments notice. At 4th Level, a Shadow gains the Invisibily, Swift as a spell-like ability 3/day+Intelligence Modifier.

In order to use this ability, a Shadow cannot be flat-footed and must be within 10 feet of a shadow other than their own.

Shadow's Safeguard:

The Shadow learns to take refuge in the shadows. At 4th Level, while in the safety of the shadows, the Shadow gains Fast Healing 1 for as long as she remains in the shadows. This ability improves every two levels thereafter (2 at 6th, 3 at 8th, etc.)

Evasion:

At 5th level and higher, a Shadow can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Shadow is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Shadow does not gain the benefit of Evasion.

Darkvision:

At 6th level, a Shadow can see in the dark as though she were permanently under the effect of a darkvision spell. Gaining this ability does not take Low-light vision away from a Shadow.

Hide in Plain Sight: At 8th Level, a Shadow can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a Shadow can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

Shadow Jump:

At 9th level, a Shadow gains the ability to travel between shadows as if by means of a dimension door spell. The limitation is that the magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some shadow. A Shadow can jump up to a total of 20 feet each day in this way; this may be a single jump of 20 feet or two jumps of 10 feet each. Every five levels higher than 10th, the distance a Shadow can jump each day doubles (40 feet at 14th and 80 feet at 19th). This amount can be split among many jumps, but each one, no matter how small, counts as a 10-foot increment

Ebon Eyes
At 10th level, a Shadow gains the ability to see through magical darkness as if permanently under the effects of the Ebon Eyes spell.

Improved Evasion:
This ability works like evasion, except that while the rogue still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Shadow does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Spell List:

0 Level Spells: Ghost Sound, Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Minor Disguise, Message, Mage Hand

1st Level Spells: Critical Strike, Obscuring Mist, Disguise Self, Obscure Object, Undetectable Alignment, Ventriloquism, Distract Assailant,
Silent Portal, Sniper's Shot, Incite, Remove Scent, Shock and Awe

2nd Level Spells: Amplify, Iron Silence, Know Vulnerabilities, Invisibility,Swift, Marked Object, Phantom Foe, Veil of Shadow, Fog Cloud,
See Invisibility, Blur, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Misdirection, Alter Self, Knock, Rope Trick, Whispering Wind

3rd Level Spells: Dispel Magic, Nondetection, Suggestion, Displacement, Invisibility Sphere, Blink, Fly, Haste, Keen Edge, Scrying

4th Level Spells: Detect Scrying, Dimension Door, Invisibility Greater, Neutralize Poison, Shadow Conjuration, Zone of Silence, Dimensional
Anchor, Solid Fog

5th Level Spells: False Vision, Mind Fog, Mislead, Shadow Evocation, Shadow Walk, Teleport, Feeblemind, Symbol of Sleep, Interposing Hand,
Overland Flight, Passwall, Telekinesis, Blink Greater

6th Level Spells: Eyebite, Project Image, True Seeing, Veil, Flesh to Stone, Shadowy Grappler, Dirge, Symphonic Nightmare

Update Log:

Version 1.01
Added Update Log
1/2 Sneak Attack changed to Full.
Added Ebon Eyes.
Changed Fast Healing 5 for Shadow Safeguard to Fast Healing 1-9.
Changed Hide in Plain Sight to Level 8.
Added Skill List.
Changed Darkvision to level 6.
Reformatted so there are no random breaks.

Steward
2011-12-13, 01:14 AM
The picture isn't loading for me. I think you should use "[" brackets instead of the "*" symbols.

What book is "Invisibily, Swift" from? Is it similar enough to the Core invisibility to allow the Shadow to make attacks while invisible or not?

Overall, it looks like a pretty solid class. It gives up some of the social skills of a rogue in exchange for more supernatural benefits. It feels almost like a blend of a rogue and a shadowdancer PRC (with spells added in). My only concern is that I'm not sure what book each non-Core spell referenced is in, making it hard to see if it's balanced. That's not really a criticism on the class though!

One aspect that I have some concerns about is the sneak attack progression. At level 20, they only get 5d6, which is actually not that great when you're bordering epic levels. You did a good job of spacing out the other abilities in my opinion but the sneak attack is just not that great.

Sparrow
2011-12-13, 06:09 AM
Invisibility, Swift is from Complete Adventurer and works like Invisibility except it is a swift action casting time and it lasts one round. I'll get sources for each spell after school today.

Lord Ruby34
2011-12-13, 06:38 AM
It feels like there are too many dead levels, and that it's abilities mostly come online too late. It should get darkvision by level four at the latest, with a clause about how it helps creatures that already have darkvision. Perhaps let it double the range of their darkvision?

zegram 33
2011-12-13, 02:39 PM
I would almost say you could double or 1.5x the sneak attack progression compared to the rogue, since that is literally ALL you are capable of, no trap senseing or diplomacy.

also, what about a higher level ability that grants invisibility while you are motionless in shadows? that way you can shadow jump to a nearby place, and as long as you stay motionless your pretty undetectable.
also, what about the capability to "draw into shadows" or some such as a full round action, for a significant bonus to sneak until you leave shadows?

final thing, some kind of method (maybe create a scaling spell series in the vein of fire trap) that deals damage of various "mundane" types? to allow you to strike from the shadows withou giving away your position?

these are all just thoughts i have, in keeping with my tradition of just saying everything i come up with on the off chance its a decent plan :smallwink:

DeAnno
2011-12-13, 03:09 PM
1) Needs a skills entry. Probably give it a decent number of them (6+?) but not the social skills, trap skills, or UMD of a Rogue.

2) Needs more dakka. The spells aren't directly offensive for the most part, and 5d6 SA at level 20 isn't going to wow anybody. I'd give the full Rogue SA progression to start, though that sort of just makes you into a variant Rogue.

3) Very few spells. With a list this small you may want to scrap spells known entirely and just give them knowledge of everything they can cast.

All and all this sort of seems like the Arcane version of a Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b), but just isn't really as good (a large part of that is that they have a much longer power list, and 7d6 instead of 5d6 SA).

BelGareth
2011-12-13, 03:40 PM
Okay lets see *cracks knuckles*

NOTE: will most likely repeat things that have been said.

Missing skills, I too would agree with a high skill amount 6+ or so.

Lowlight vision and darkvision, interesting, I find it intriguing that it takes 11 levels to get darkvision, why not give it earlier and give the class some neat flashy abilities later on, like: see invisibility (spell like or at will), Voidsense, blindsight etc
If it's going to be a class ability then lets make it be a good one. Fluff ise, I like it, it just needs improvement.

Spells, your spells are Int based yet you do not need to memorize them, strange, make it Cha and you can add some social skills (mainly bluff) to make a stealthy combo of rogue/beguiler. Int is classically used for spell prep classes, cha for spontaneous.

Spell list, is WAY to short, its needs a bunch of spells to beef it up, maybe a bunch of illiusion spells? (I may add a list of suggested spells if i have time)

Sneak Attack, as said by some else, it's kinda the classes mainstay and its incredibly weak at higher levels, why not give it the same as a rogues sneak attack? it kinda needs it.

Shadow Stride, Nice, seems akin to the PF ninja's ability. Its a little roughly written, i would take the PF Ninjas ability and copy and paste, editing as needed.

Evasion, logical and necessary

Shadow Jump, cool, seems very similar to shadow hand stuff. Also kinda makes the DD in your spell list redundant for short bursts...meh not really a problem with that.

Shadows Safegaurd, WOW this kinda just jumps out of nowhere, why not start it off with fast healing 1 in shadows and increment it up through the levels, 1 then 3 then 5. This would fill up dead levels and give a feeling of the ability really fitting the class and not just being dumped in the middle of it (that's what it feels like, to me anyway). Other than that, I like it, im a fan of Fast healing.

Hide in plain sight, obvious and needed, maybe give it a little earlier?

Imp Evasion, Must have.

Summary
Spell list is lacking (let me work on some suggestions)
lots of dead levels (already pointed out)
Spells should be based of Cha
skills are needed

Also some basic formatting issues, lines are starting over when thet shouldn't etc...

I like where you are going with this, I would love to see more shadow related skills. You could even remove the spells and change them for invocations, would fit the theme very well, and then you could have your fly,and invisibility all day long.(also leave Int as the casting stat if you wished)

How about an ability to create darkness?
what about creating a weapon from the darkness?
What about extending your reach in darkness?
shadowy armor
shadow hand maneuvers and or stances, maybe the class could have an intitiator level -4 and bonus shadow hand maneuvers? (just an idea)
shadowy illusions (i think i already mention that)
resistance to scrying due to shadow protecting you?
maybe SR while in shadow?
increased speed?
flight
etc...

Over all, great job first time round keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your improvements.

Sparrow
2011-12-13, 06:31 PM
1) Needs a skills entry. Probably give it a decent number of them (6+?) but not the social skills, trap skills, or UMD of a Rogue.

2) Needs more dakka. The spells aren't directly offensive for the most part, and 5d6 SA at level 20 isn't going to wow anybody. I'd give the full Rogue SA progression to start, though that sort of just makes you into a variant Rogue.

3) Very few spells. With a list this small you may want to scrap spells known entirely and just give them knowledge of everything they can cast.

All and all this sort of seems like the Arcane version of a Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b), but just isn't really as good (a large part of that is that they have a much longer power list, and 7d6 instead of 5d6 SA).

Okay.

1) I had skills set, I just forgot to post them. Will update as soon as possible

2)Okay, I'll go full SA progression

3) Okay, I'll think about it.

Okay lets see *cracks knuckles*

NOTE: will most likely repeat things that have been said.

Missing skills, I too would agree with a high skill amount 6+ or so.

Lowlight vision and darkvision, interesting, I find it intriguing that it takes 11 levels to get darkvision, why not give it earlier and give the class some neat flashy abilities later on, like: see invisibility (spell like or at will), Voidsense, blindsight etc
If it's going to be a class ability then lets make it be a good one. Fluff ise, I like it, it just needs improvement.

Spells, your spells are Int based yet you do not need to memorize them, strange, make it Cha and you can add some social skills (mainly bluff) to make a stealthy combo of rogue/beguiler. Int is classically used for spell prep classes, cha for spontaneous.

Spell list, is WAY to short, its needs a bunch of spells to beef it up, maybe a bunch of illiusion spells? (I may add a list of suggested spells if i have time)

Sneak Attack, as said by some else, it's kinda the classes mainstay and its incredibly weak at higher levels, why not give it the same as a rogues sneak attack? it kinda needs it.

Shadow Stride, Nice, seems akin to the PF ninja's ability. Its a little roughly written, i would take the PF Ninjas ability and copy and paste, editing as needed.

Evasion, logical and necessary

Shadow Jump, cool, seems very similar to shadow hand stuff. Also kinda makes the DD in your spell list redundant for short bursts...meh not really a problem with that.

Shadows Safegaurd, WOW this kinda just jumps out of nowhere, why not start it off with fast healing 1 in shadows and increment it up through the levels, 1 then 3 then 5. This would fill up dead levels and give a feeling of the ability really fitting the class and not just being dumped in the middle of it (that's what it feels like, to me anyway). Other than that, I like it, im a fan of Fast healing.

Hide in plain sight, obvious and needed, maybe give it a little earlier?

Imp Evasion, Must have.

Summary
Spell list is lacking (let me work on some suggestions)
lots of dead levels (already pointed out)
Spells should be based of Cha
skills are needed

Also some basic formatting issues, lines are starting over when thet shouldn't etc...

I like where you are going with this, I would love to see more shadow related skills. You could even remove the spells and change them for invocations, would fit the theme very well, and then you could have your fly,and invisibility all day long.(also leave Int as the casting stat if you wished)

How about an ability to create darkness?
what about creating a weapon from the darkness?
What about extending your reach in darkness?
shadowy armor
shadow hand maneuvers and or stances, maybe the class could have an intitiator level -4 and bonus shadow hand maneuvers? (just an idea)
shadowy illusions (i think i already mention that)
resistance to scrying due to shadow protecting you?
maybe SR while in shadow?
increased speed?
flight
etc...

Over all, great job first time round keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing your improvements.

The formatting issue is from me copying form wordpad. I thought I got them all, but I guess not.

I'll take all these suggestions into account and edit when I've finished thinking about it.

GuyFawkes
2011-12-14, 12:47 AM
Two words: Shadow Clones! :smallbiggrin:

Kidding aside, I will try to give a better review when I have time. :smallwink:

H Birchgrove
2011-12-14, 03:07 AM
Pheew, I thought this would be based on a certain pulp & radio hero... :smalltongue:

I'm planning my own build for him, you see...

Hanuman
2011-12-14, 03:33 AM
Pretty good, I'm feeling it's sneak attack should be 1/3 not 1/2 though, but that's just because of how it's balanced to rogue.

Sparrow
2011-12-14, 06:34 AM
SA used to be 1/2 but I changed it because people said it was underpowered at 1/2

Hanuman
2011-12-14, 11:14 AM
SA used to be 1/2 but I changed it because people said it was underpowered at 1/2
Underpowered compared to what?

This is essentially an assassin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm) without multiclassing, it gets a faster and better spell advancement, more skillpoints, better saves, and honestly more useful abilities.

If you examine it, then re-compare assassin to Lurk you'll see what I mean as Lurk has sneak at 2/7/12/17 and powers of level 1-6 hitting 6 at CLvl16

GuyFawkes
2011-12-14, 12:00 PM
Alright, after having read through this, this is almost like an assassin/rogue in one. It's mighty solid for a first try.

Now it's all good if you want it that way, but I'm gonna have to go with Bel here. Invocations involving shadows would make this class WAY more interesting, and flavorful. There's just so much you can do with shadows that making 30 to 50 invocations would be a cinch. I could help you with this if you want. Otherwise, disregard this and my advice would be the same as the others: Put more spells to your spell list. Oh, and the formatting as well, I guess. You have to put in what type of abilities they are as well (Ex, Su, Sp).

So, goodluck with this. Oh, and lemme know if you need help if ever you try decide to do the invocation thing. :smallwink:

Just to Browse
2011-12-14, 02:29 PM
I'd recommend giving it maneuvers, actually. Shadow Hand fits perfectly with this, and Setting Sun/Tiger Claw would work pretty well too. There are also other ToB Homebrew "I am Ten Ninjas" abilities, so this would be good for integrating homebrew.

Sparrow
2011-12-14, 04:30 PM
I'll think about giving it maneuvers instead of spells, probably make it a little more useful.

Scholar23
2011-12-14, 10:38 PM
I'm with Fawkes up there on the invocations. You've got a solid start so why not try invocations first with the shadow theme. Or if you bored have him use mysterys. If I rember corredtly there was a project called shadow descent or something made to improve the system and provide more to play with. Either way it's up to you. Just pm Me if you want any help.

Sparrow
2011-12-15, 06:23 AM
GuyFawkes is going to help me with invocations when he has time.

Hanuman
2011-12-16, 12:43 AM
Make a PrC for this with ozodrin FP =P

BelGareth
2011-12-16, 12:52 AM
Make a PrC for this with ozodrin FP =P

+1 (more text for the server gods)