PDA

View Full Version : [DM] - Is this too intensive a dungeon for my party level?

killem2
2011-12-13, 12:16 PM
After searching around just for random dungeon maps, and specifically under mountains because of where they are going this next session, I found this:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i168/ica171/Brandon%20Misc/under_the_mountain.jpg

It appears to be from a set of dungeons that goes down and down or up and up, not really sure. It's quite daunting, but looks like it could be a lot of fun.

My issue is this:

Party of 5: All are level 2 now.

Rogue (dagger fetish, pretty heavy in rogue skills)

Ranger
- Has variant from race of wild, and has the elven hound

Fighter (axe and shield)
- Has a guard dog.

Cleric (earth, and divine magician variant)

Wizard (focused evoker)
- Has a bear cub, but it won't be fighting.

Is this too advanced for this party level? Or can a dungeon be too strong from sheer size? Sure I could fill it with crap monsters, but after a while, it could get exhausting.

Morbis Meh
2011-12-13, 12:23 PM
Unless you provide a lot of rest stops foe the group it is far too massive for a level 2 party due to their lack of resources. Save that map until they are much higher of a level, not to mention that it would be extremely difficult for players to not get lost and to translate to a playable grid (which would take ages )

DoctorGlock
2011-12-13, 12:25 PM
If the party can rest and renew resources while within the dungeon, and appropriate gear can be found, they will do fine. The cleric and wizard will burn out fast at this level, though I suppose he may have precocious apprentice and reserve feats. The important thing is to know if that is the kind of game the players enjoy. This will take multiple sessions, it is just that big. Dungeons are usually trapfinding and fighting non stop. Some people detest having multiple sessions of that. If you can weave heavier roleplaying in, such as diplomacy with wandering tribes in the dungeon or catacombs that breach the dungeon (obviously those exist at your discretion), you will be able to placate the player that prefers open world adventure. Otherwise a straight dungeon crawl will send them packing for a few weeks. Do you have the dungeon crawl players or the sandbox players?

killem2
2011-12-13, 12:26 PM
Ok, I will save it :). Maybe that will be a long trek for the fighter who wants to become a stonelord.

I'll just stick to basic stuff.

Thanks for the help!

Namfuak
2011-12-13, 12:29 PM
That looks like a really big dungeon, as others have said. Maybe including some way for players to create shortcuts back to the surface would be a good idea, so they could spend a session fighting, then go outside and rest and possibly go to a city, then go back to where they left off. Plus, that way if they level up you can make them fight harder monsters.

Also, if they are level 2, how does your ranger have an elven hound? That doesn't come until level 4 (unless it's just a regular pet, not a companion).

Malachei
2011-12-13, 12:35 PM
This is really old style.

(the Dungeon is FR Undermountain, IIRC)

Of course, play preferences are diverse, but IMO, adventure design has evolved into multi-site adventures, offering a mix of (shorter) dungeons, wilderness and city, all in one adventure. So in general, unless your party really loves dungeon crawls, I'd go for shorter episodes and smaller dungeons.

I think the various Paizo Adventure Paths are good examples.