PDA

View Full Version : Help with Wild Empathy

Torq
2011-12-13, 02:29 PM
So I've read the Handle Animal (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871522/The_Handle_Animal_Guide?pg=1) guide, and it seems to suggest that if you can get a wild animal from Unfriendly to Friendly, you can begin to train it - but not before you make a DC Handle Animal check. I'm not really sure what this refers to, but I'm trying to figure it out.

For example, if I want to make a wolf that I used Wild Empathy on to change its attitude from Unfriendly to Friendly, what are the steps that are needed.

I'm thinking of rolling a Druid for the next campaign, and I actually want to make use of Wild Empathy and Handle Animal in it. Because Druids aren't awesome enough already.

Aegis013
2011-12-13, 02:44 PM
It's the same as diplomacy. The DCs and what not are under Diplomacy, as it says in the description of the Wild Empathy class feature in the PHB. In order to make the check you also need to be within 30ft of the critter and have 1 minute to spare.

Coidzor
2011-12-13, 02:56 PM
Once you've got it friendly to you, I suppose you lure it to you with the push variant of handle animal and food and can then take X amount of time to teach it tricks or warbeast it with handle animal.

Torq
2011-12-13, 03:41 PM
Once you've got it friendly to you, I suppose you lure it to you with the push variant of handle animal and food and can then take X amount of time to teach it tricks or warbeast it with handle animal.

That's kind of what I assumed too. Is there a set of rules that govern this, or is it just kind of a RAI thing?

The handbook also mentions a lot about purchasing already friendly animals and magical beasts, as well as their costs. The only one I can find with a cost in the MM is the Griffon and Hippogriff. Is there a table of trainable animals, Handle checks, costs? I know the Handle Animal description has a lot, but both the Griffon and Hippogriff have DCs differing from the HA DC for teaching an animal to bear a rider.

Coidzor
2011-12-13, 04:19 PM
There's no table, that'd be too user-friendly for WOTC's tastes.

For the most part if there's a handle animal check that's non-standard it'll be listed in the creature entry.

The nebulous interaction between wild empathy and handle animal that's detailed in this thread and the handle animal guide is the most there really is on the subject.