PDA

View Full Version : Illithid Level 11 possible?

bluthunda
2011-12-13, 02:46 PM
Is it possible to make a character with class levels and the illithid race by level 11 for an evil campaign if so what books do I need and I was planning on sorcerer or wizard

Aegis013
2011-12-13, 02:50 PM
MMI and PHB are all you need. The statblock for being an illithid is under the Mind Flayer monster entry. Although the +7 LA is not worthwhile, in my opinion. You'd still have 4 class levels before you reached ECL 11.

So you could be an Illithid LA 7/Wizard or Sorcerer 4. You'll be pretty lackluster compared to a fully leveled Wizard or Sorcerer with a +0 LA race.

Lords of Madness has a whole section on Illithid. It could be useful.

onemorelurker
2011-12-13, 02:52 PM
MMI and PHB are all you need. The statblock for being an illithid is under the Mind Flayer monster entry. Although the +7 LA is not worthwhile, in my opinion. You'd still have 4 class levels before you reached ECL 11.

So you could be an Illithid LA 7/Wizard or Sorcerer 4. You'll be pretty lackluster compared to a fully leveled Wizard or Sorcerer with a +0 LA race.

Lords of Madness has a whole section on Illithid. It could be useful.

It also has 8 aberration HD, so this won't work (unless your DM is giving out free LA or something).

bluthunda
2011-12-13, 02:56 PM
That's what I was thinking that it had too much of an LA and HD would playing a mindflayer at level 11 without class levels be worth it ?

Malachei
2011-12-13, 02:58 PM
Doesn't work unless your DM gives you a Savage Progression.

Unearthed Arcane (in the SRD) offers LA buy-off, which you could buy off after reaching epic (in this case, because of LA+7).

Your DM may let you play a Mind Flayer in an 11th level party, although, by RAW, you should adventure with a 15th-level party (in which others will probably outshine you).

Heliomance
2011-12-13, 02:59 PM
Is there a savage progression for illithids anywhere?

Aegis013
It also has 8 aberration HD, so this won't work (unless your DM is giving out free LA or something).

I totally missed its RHD. Thanks for the clarification.

Eldan
By the books, even without class levels, Illithids count as level 15, so you can't play one at level 11.

That said, there is a half-illithid template, I seem to remember, stupid as that is with the fluff.

CTrees
2011-12-13, 03:01 PM
The racial hit dice are killer, along with a LA you can't just buy off. I don't have anything more helpful to suggest than porting in Pathfinder's Young template and making a Young, Young, Young, Young Illithid. Which might actually be dead, with the stat penalties (though if you somehow managed to survive, being sized Fine has some advantages). Triple Young + Drunk would be equivalent, I guess.

Malachei
2011-12-13, 03:02 PM
Is there a savage progression for illithids anywhere?

Yes, in Savage Species.

NineThePuma
2011-12-13, 03:04 PM
There's one in Savage Species.

onemorelurker
2011-12-13, 03:04 PM
By the books, even without class levels, Illithids count as level 15, so you can't play one at level 11.

That said, there is a half-illithid template, I seem to remember, stupid as that is with the fluff.

As I remember, the fluff (as of 3.0 and the Fiend Folio, at least) was that Mind Flayers could only use humans for bodies, and that if they used anything else, the result was a "half" Illithid. It still has a +5 LA or something, though, which is rough.

bluthunda
2011-12-13, 03:24 PM
I don't have fiend folio is there a place I could find the stats for human mind flayer ?

NineThePuma
2011-12-13, 03:37 PM
All mind flayers are human.

Urpriest
2011-12-13, 03:40 PM
I don't have fiend folio is there a place I could find the stats for human mind flayer ?

Half-Illithid is for non-human mind flayers. Normal Mind Flayers are ones that used to be humans. And AFAIK Half-Illithid wasn't printed in any other books.

Mnemnosyne
2011-12-13, 03:43 PM
Technically, by RAW, I see no reason why you can't have your RHD level-drained off and eat the level drain then start leveling up again. I may be missing some key point, but that seems to be technically rules-legal as far as I can figure.

Of course, I doubt any DM is going to allow an illithid to get away with just a +7 level adjustment, since they innately manifest as 9th level telepath psions and have some pretty serious ability score adjustments.

Person_Man
2011-12-13, 03:46 PM
Complete Psionic (which is perhaps the worst book in 3.5) has Illithid Heritage feats (pg 61), which duplicate various Illithid abilities (poorly). In general, they are not worth the investment. But if you're dead set on it, you could play a Psion 11 who invests heavily in those feats. You'd still be Tier 1 by virtue of being a Psion, you'd just be throwing your feats away.

Calanon
2011-12-13, 03:46 PM
All mind flayers are human.

No their not :smallconfused: they WERE at one point human...

bluthunda
2011-12-13, 04:06 PM
I'll just have to come up with something else then

Malachei
2011-12-13, 04:09 PM
I'll just have to come up with something else then

Why not take the Savage Progression?

Savage Species, p. 186.

imperialspectre
2011-12-13, 04:19 PM
If you can pick up a psicrown of Astral Seed, you can sandwich-trick (http://thestormwindfallacy.multiply.com/journal/item/76?&show_interstitial=1&u=%2Fjournal%2Fitem) yourself into being a mind flayer as an 11th level telepath psion. It requires a helpless mind flayer to do so, however.

You can also buy two castings of polymorph any object on yourself; the first one turns you into a mind flayer temporarily and the second one makes it permanent-unless-dispelled. Make sure to keep up some dispelling screens, a ring of counterspelling, or other things that will help protect you.

Edit: Both of these methods are rules-legal, but your GM may or may not be okay with them. Make sure on that one way or the other.

Also, the idea that a CR 9 mind flayer can't be a level 11 player character is fairly absurd. Just saying.