PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Draconic Rite Spells

umbergod
2011-12-13, 04:25 PM
what are some good choices for 1st level spells? I am also taking the dragonblood sorcerer substitution level 4, so i get a 2nd spell like ability then as well

Toliudar
2011-12-13, 04:36 PM
I've usually used it as my "something's gone wrong" spell. Swift Expeditious Retreat, Benign Transposition, feather fall. Things to get you out of unpleasant situations, but not the thing you're going to want to do all the time.

Alternately, if you insist on travelling in comfort, Endure Elements.

umbergod
2011-12-13, 04:44 PM
I've usually used it as my "something's gone wrong" spell. Swift Expeditious Retreat, Benign Transposition, feather fall. Things to get you out of unpleasant situations, but not the thing you're going to want to do all the time.

Alternately, if you insist on travelling in comfort, Endure Elements.

Oh wow, actually, Endure Elements would help amazingly, I took the hot-blooded flaw so that might help mitigate it. Won't need feather fall as I took dragon wings (concept is essentially a pint sized dragon). I do like what amounts to being an "oh ****!" button though

Calanon
2011-12-13, 06:34 PM
Oh wow, actually, Endure Elements would help amazingly, I took the hot-blooded flaw so that might help mitigate it. Won't need feather fall as I took dragon wings (concept is essentially a pint sized dragon). I do like what amounts to being an "oh ****!" button though

Hot-blooded flaw. Kobold. What?

Mnemnosyne
2011-12-13, 07:27 PM
The "Hot-Blooded" and "Cold-Blooded" flaws are actually named kind of backwards. Hot-Blooded actually means you auto-fail environmental cold checks, and cold attacks deal +2 damage, while cold-blooded means the opposite.

Of course, you would expect a cold-blooded creature to be one to have issues in a cold environment.

umbergod
2011-12-13, 08:22 PM
The "Hot-Blooded" and "Cold-Blooded" flaws are actually named kind of backwards. Hot-Blooded actually means you auto-fail environmental cold checks, and cold attacks deal +2 damage, while cold-blooded means the opposite.

Of course, you would expect a cold-blooded creature to be one to have issues in a cold environment.

yeah, first time I read those flaws I thought they were a bit backwards. I don't question it, I just go with it. Very tempting to take endure elements as my draconic rite spell, and make it so I can ignore most of that flaw

Bakkan
2011-12-13, 09:09 PM
I used Nerveskitter to excellent effect while taking the feat at level 3 that allows you to use it 3/day. Most days, that covered the most important fights, and I had a decent Dex and Improved initiative, so 3 times per day my initiative was +13 or so.

Other decent options include Mage Armor once your caster level is high enough for it to last all day.

umbergod
2011-12-13, 09:18 PM
I used Nerveskitter to excellent effect while taking the feat at level 3 that allows you to use it 3/day. Most days, that covered the most important fights, and I had a decent Dex and Improved initiative, so 3 times per day my initiative was +13 or so.

Other decent options include Mage Armor once your caster level is high enough for it to last all day.

this is a pbp game, and the dm is using group initiative, so thats less appealing unless i dumped other stats to jack up my dex. the mage armor idea isn't bad, just less useful at low levels and i'm not sure how fast we will be leveling.

golem1972
2011-12-13, 10:37 PM
Identify. It's useful, saves you a lot of gp, and isn't something a sorcerer would normally choose as a spell known.

umbergod
2011-12-13, 10:41 PM
Identify. It's useful, saves you a lot of gp, and isn't something a sorcerer would normally choose as a spell known.

oooh! good point! I had not considered that, and it would fit well with my "tiny embodiment of a red dragon" theme, as I am magic hungry

golem1972
2011-12-13, 11:59 PM
Just stay away from the dragononspawn loredrake riddled spellhoarding dragonwrought kobold.
Being a sorcerer that casts like a wizard with access to his entire spellbook and a +8 bonus to int and +4 caster levels above hit dice will get books thrown at your head.

umbergod
2011-12-14, 12:07 AM
Just stay away from the dragononspawn loredrake riddled spellhoarding dragonwrought kobold.
Being a sorcerer that casts like a wizard with access to his entire spellbook and a +8 bonus to int and +4 caster levels above hit dice will get books thrown at your head.

oh I am. The DM knows me well, and I am avoiding any cheese, since we have at least 1 first time player, and likely 2 relatively newer players, so I am sticking to filling my role, and building a personality. i just hope nobody plays a gnome, or i will go out of my way to not help them XD

Sdonourg
2011-12-14, 05:44 AM

In my PbP one of the players did this: he took identify, so it's SLA for him (no material components). He was a sorcerer, of course, and asked his party members to give him gold for non-existent material component, identified items, and then spend gold on himself.

Greenish
2011-12-14, 07:00 AM
Of course, you would expect a cold-blooded creature to be one to have issues in a cold environment.Cold environment forces cold-blooded creatures to consume more food than normal. Hot environments allow them to survive with less food.

In D&D land.

umbergod
2011-12-14, 12:42 PM
In my PbP one of the players did this: he took identify, so it's SLA for him (no material components). He was a sorcerer, of course, and asked his party members to give him gold for non-existent material component, identified items, and then spend gold on himself.

Amazing. Greedy and extorts my fellow players, very fitting for my character :D

motoko's ghost
2011-12-16, 05:30 AM
It fits the kobold mentality too, screw over the other races before they can do it to you. I also like using the regular expeditious retreat as well, its a standard action but you can run away for longer.

umbergod
2011-12-16, 05:43 AM
I went with Identify, and when I told my DM I plan to charge my party mates 15-20g every time I identify something for them his response was ".....Really? You're gonna be that guy?" made me lol

motoko's ghost
2011-12-16, 05:45 AM
true strike might also work, if you want to make sure your kobold warrior1's can hit the PCs before going down(mainly just if your using them as mooks)

umbergod
2011-12-16, 08:54 AM
true strike might also work, if you want to make sure your kobold warrior1's can hit the PCs before going down(mainly just if your using them as mooks)

Haha, I am glad my DM doesn't visit this forum often :P I strictly play, because while I am awesome at world building, I am terribad as a storyteller

motoko's ghost
2011-12-16, 12:30 PM
Haha, I am glad my DM doesn't visit this forum often :P I strictly play, because while I am awesome at world building, I am terribad as a storyteller
Tell me about it, I can make whole world,organisations,conspiracies, improbable planar locations and have them all work together, but as soon as its time for the actual storytelling, I just go um...You see a 10ftx10ft room(slight exaggeration but still also pretty terribad as a storyteller)