PDA

View Full Version : Marinade to Sauce conversion?

Coidzor
2011-12-13, 04:27 PM
So I've got some red wine vinegar I was using as a marinade for some chicken, and while I was originally just planning on cooking the chicken in the marinade, my housemate recently acquired a grill and wants to grill the chicken. So I don't really want to throw out the marinade, but I'm also not sure if there's enough liquid upon re-examining it in the light of day and without chicken it it to be a noticeable amount for the chicken and rice(or possibly couscous as I seem to have acquired mysteriously some "creamy parmesan" couscous mix :smallconfused:)

Right now I've got about 3/4 cup of red wine vinegar with some chicken fragments, cilantro, and garlic still suspended in it with another 3/4 cup unused in the bottle, but I've never really made a vinegar-based sauce before, only ever used vinegar to bolster another sauce.

Used, I think, about 4-6 chicken thighs and plan on having enough rice for 3 people.

WarKitty
2011-12-13, 04:36 PM
Just fyi, you can still grill marinaded meat. But if you want to use it as a sauce, there's a few options. If you just want to thicken it up and serve, add flour or cornstarch (recommended) until you get the desired consistency. If you want a more bbq sauce ish thing, add brown sugar and melted butter to the mixture and heat it all up together - you may also want to add more spices, or at least more garlic.

pffh
2011-12-13, 04:42 PM
Aye chop up some garlic, brown sugar, a little bit of salt and some chili pepper. Is delicious.

You can also use honey as sweetener instead of the brown sugar.

Orzel
2011-12-13, 10:45 PM
Just fyi, you can still grill marinaded meat. But if you want to use it as a sauce, there's a few options. If you just want to thicken it up and serve, add flour or cornstarch (recommended) until you get the desired consistency. If you want a more bbq sauce ish thing, add brown sugar and melted butter to the mixture and heat it all up together - you may also want to add more spices, or at least more garlic.

Flour (or conrstarch) and brown sugar fixes everything.

Mother: Did you mix the leftover salsa and cheese, add flour and pasta water, and dump it over pasta?
Me: You forgot the sugar. I added sugar.

Coidzor
2011-12-14, 12:12 AM
Heh. Indeed. Just realized I forgot to stock this place with brown sugar when I moved in.

And found a very strange ball in the corn starch...*shudder*

So I decided to go with flour as a thickener instead.

Turned out rather nicely. Went very well with the parmesan couscous. My friend's grilling technique and the size of the cubes of chicken resulted in most of it getting nommed or claimed by the coals, unforunately, so it was a meal of couscous and the sauce, mostly.

Ended up having a lot more of it left than I thought I would, as a little bit went a lot further than I would've thought.

I'm contemplating taking a can of tomato sauce or paste and mixing it with the remainder and doing a frenchbread pizza with it now...