PDA

View Full Version : Connection problems

Eloel
2011-12-13, 04:43 PM
Lately, there has been many tech-support related threads spawning. I'll add one to that, I'm sorry for any inconvenience I might be causing.

My laptop is unable to connect to internet (wireless or ethernet) automatically. I get a "unidentified network" label when I try, and it sits there. When I try to open a page, I get the "DNS lookup failed" error (using Chrome here). I can avoid the problem by connecting to wireless over my phone, copying over IP/Subnet/DNS/gateway information, and connecting over that, yet obviously, that's highly impractical. The same laptop has connected to the same network for over a year now, till it stopped yesterday morning. That is, it was not overnight, it worked for a couple hours, I put the laptop to sleep, moved over to another table, opened it, and it has never auto-connected ever since.

Anyone have any idea? It gets frustrating, and at places where laptop barely gets wireless, my phone doesn't (unable to get enough signal, I believe), so I can't even copy over the addresses.

factotum
2011-12-14, 02:53 AM
Assuming this is your home network, I would try restarting the modem first off--maybe it's stopped handing out DHCP addresses for some reason?