PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a DF succession game?

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-13, 07:03 PM
Hey everyone. Was playing some Dwarf Fortress in my spare time recently, and was wondering if anyone wanted to play a succession game. If you're interested, say so. If you don't know what DF is, try anyways so we can laugh at when you mess up (you will, everyone does. It's part of the game.) If you know what DF is but not what a succession game is, see Boatmurdered (http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/) as an example.

So, anyone up for some fun (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun)?

Current Players:

Myself Completed
Weezer Incomplete
Gnoman Completed
Grif Completed
Shpadoinkle Completed
Jeriah Opted Out
Luzahn Completed
Moranica
ReluctantReaper
Shadowleaf
The_Final_Stand
MonarchAnarch
Name_Here

Current Save File:
DreamingMage (http://www.mediafire.com/?3kwtasutf82b1in)
Gnoman (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5364)
Grif (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5389)
Shpadoinkle (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5393)
Luzahn (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5410)

Aidan305
2011-12-13, 07:22 PM
Ordinarily yes, but I'm busy with assignments at the moment.

Weezer
2011-12-13, 07:26 PM
On the assumption that this game will start after next monday, sure! I'm not too good at the game, but I know enough for my dwarves not to starve/die from the first ambush.

Gnoman
2011-12-13, 07:39 PM
I am, of course. I'd suggest something besides vanilla, though.

Grif
2011-12-13, 07:49 PM
Just this warning, we playgrounders have this curse of not being able to go more than five turns without everyone eventually abandoning it. :smallannoyed:

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-13, 08:25 PM
That's OK. Curses are good for breaking and messing with! We'll just have to make sure our records are as entertaining as possible without any instances of 'fun'. As for starting after next Monday, that's fine by me. I have exams up until then anyways.

So, possible players so far (correct me if I'm wrong):
Myself
Weezer
Gnoman

Also, I dunno about mods. I have to say I like vanilla. I prefer Mega Projects to mechanically added challenge.

Grif
2011-12-13, 09:34 PM
Hell put me in. I consider myself to be a fairly safe player, though not necessarily experienced. (haven't managed to complete a megaproject yet)

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-13, 09:37 PM
Don't worry 'bout it, I'm not incredibly experienced myself. I've only really done one megaproject myself, and it was a brewery that took up nearly an entire z-level.

Also, I'm adding the current list of players to the OP.

Jeriah
2011-12-13, 11:36 PM
I'll give it a try. Where can I find the rules?

Luzahn
2011-12-14, 12:50 AM
I'm interested in playing, as well.

Moranica
2011-12-14, 03:35 AM
Sign me up! Played DF for a short time, a long time ago. They all starved if I remember correctly. :smallbiggrin:

ReluctantReaper
2011-12-14, 03:39 AM
soo DF noob here wondering about tips for this

Shpadoinkle
2011-12-14, 06:49 AM
I'll join. There were two previous attempts a few months ago, and the first one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196312) petered out due to save corruption, and the second (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211221) died due to loss of interest (also I lost my internet connection for about seven weeks so I wasn't able to help keep things moving.)

Gonna need something more to go on than that. The Bay12 (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php) forums are a good place to start, though.

Grif
2011-12-14, 06:58 AM

Best way to just start your own fort and see how you go from there. You learn a lot more from !!Fun!! than by reading guides. Of course guides helps, but nothing beats the real thing.

EDIT: As always, it's best to start voting on the map size and type, graphical packs (if any) and mods to be use, if any.

I been itching to try a evil desert biome. :smalltongue:

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-14, 10:11 AM
I been itching to try a evil desert biome.:smalltongue:
I'm fine with whatever, but if we can find a place with at least a few trees in the area for the less experienced among us, that would probably be best.

I'll give it a try. Where can I find the rules?
If you're new to the game, I'd recommend a quick read through Boatmurdered (link in OP) to get the idea. It was a succession game and a LP of sorts, so it works well as an example.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-14, 10:14 AM
I'm totally up for it, though I'm not that good at DF. I kind of have to rely on danger rooms to stay alive.

Luzahn
2011-12-14, 11:08 AM
Wheras I've always relied on a trap bridge.

And I'd recommend embarking on something relatively standard, seems we have at least one new person. Hordes of skeletons do not make for happy settlers.

My vote goes to a Savage neutral embark, preferably on a river.

Shpadoinkle
2011-12-14, 11:34 AM
Anywhere with water is good for me. Beyond that I don't really have a preference.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-14, 11:47 AM
I agree with the river. If we're going for somewhere comparatively easy, perhaps a river or brook between mountains and a forest?

ObadiahtheSlim
2011-12-14, 11:47 AM
I'm happy with easy access magma (like a volcano) and if you flux. The flux is more important since it is a pain to equip a militia in fine dwarven steel when you have to rely on caravans for melting stuff.

Savage biomes have fun wildlife. Tropical is also fun with it's lions, tigers and bears elephants. Evil has the fun wildlife so we may want to avoid that for the sake of the newer players.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-14, 11:50 AM
Hmn, I don't know about surface lava, but I'm sure we can tunnel down and find some underground. As for flux stone, good idea. ObadiahtheSlim, shall I add you to our list of players?

Luzahn
2011-12-14, 11:54 AM
I agree with a volcano being unnecessary. They're a pain to find with a good embark. If we're lucky, we'll find a magma tube. If not, more fun.

The_Final_Stand
2011-12-14, 03:57 PM
I did a succession game once. Assuming this doesn't burn out like the last one(s), I'd be in for it.

Gnoman
2011-12-14, 04:45 PM
Magma is guaranteed on all embarks in the current version. It's sometimes a pain to get to because it's often 50+ z-levels underground, but it's always there. Likewise, wood is no longer a critical resource, as you can use stone for everything but beds and bins (and you can make metal bins) now. In vanilla (I'd like to reiterate my prefernece fo using a mod such a civilization forge, which provide a vast amount of flavor and alternate resources for a mild increase in difficulty), flux is a critical resourse, and finding a site with shallow metals is also valuable.

Also, even if the group collectively insists on vanilla, the Display case mod and removing goblin clothes is a very good idea.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-15, 04:57 AM
I'd prefer lots of wildlife, decent-ish amount of vegetation, and sparse trees.

Also, we should probably decide just how seriously we are taking this fort. I, for one, fully expect to lock Dwarves that annoy me in single combat against magma.

Moranica
2011-12-15, 05:27 AM
I have no preference on the setting. Playing right now, to get my skills back up to par.

Shpadoinkle
2011-12-15, 06:57 AM

Also, we should probably decide just how seriously we are taking this fort. I, for one, fully expect to lock Dwarves that annoy me in single combat against magma.

That's up to the individual player. The only real rules in a succession fort is "Don't deliberately leave the save unplayable for the next guy."

Name_Here
2011-12-15, 07:22 AM
I'm in.

And may I suggest a possible rule for the succession game?

Everybody gets a full week Monday to Monday Midnight to do their turn. If they fail in this they are skipped for the next in line. Applied unquestioningly and I think it'll move along at a good pace.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-15, 07:49 AM
I'm in.

And may I suggest a possible rule for the succession game?

Everybody gets a full week Monday to Monday Midnight to do their turn. If they fail in this they are skipped for the next in line. Applied unquestioningly and I think it'll move along at a good pace.The usual rule is one ingame year or 6 days 23 hours, whichever comes first. If there's been no updated savegame in 7 days, the next in the line uses the old save.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-15, 08:06 AM
Sounds good to me. I usually use 1 ingame year, but a 1 week IRL cap seems like a good idea.

Grif
2011-12-15, 08:44 AM

I don't think we need to decide how seriously we need to play this. Because seriously, half of the fun is trying to clean up the mess the past overseer left behind. (or making a mess for the next overseer to clean up.)

Shadowleaf
2011-12-15, 08:55 AM
I don't think we need to decide how seriously we need to play this. Because seriously, half of the fun is trying to clean up the mess the past overseer left behind. (or making a mess for the next overseer to clean up.)Honestly I just wanted to ensure the previous overseer left a mess. :smallbiggrin:

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-15, 11:40 AM
Yeah. Perhaps we should try to keep some semblance of a stable core going, though. How are we to build massive inverted pyramids that end up collapsing on us all if our dwarves are rioting due to lack of booze?

Luzahn
2011-12-15, 12:10 PM
Well, we could alter the turn list to provide for a stable start. I generally consider myself to be a stable player; I haven't lost a colony to ambush or a forgotten beast since my first few games.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-15, 01:18 PM
Same. I don't think I ever willingly lost a fortress.

Moranica
2011-12-15, 02:32 PM
I am familiar with all the basics and never lost a fortress. Largest one I've had so far was only about 100 dwarves though.

MonarchAnarch
2011-12-15, 02:45 PM
Count me in. Had multiple 100+ dwarf fortresses that I've let go to the great save folder and dream that they continue to drink, build, and slaughter.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-15, 05:00 PM
I've never lost a fortress either - I came close once, but that was my first encounter with a Forgotten Beast. I pretty much walled off and learned about this thing called Military. Came back a year later and wooped it. :smallwink:

Luzahn
2011-12-15, 06:29 PM
I lost my first serious fortress to a forgotten beast that shot steam. I believe it was indestructible, as well.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-15, 06:33 PM
Tsk. Didn't trap it in a pit and throw gobbos to it?

Luzahn
2011-12-15, 07:03 PM
I was new, and didnt even know how to train soldiers. I flung peasants at it until there were no more peasants.

Grif
2011-12-15, 08:17 PM
It's just too bad the DF limitation on dorfs doesn't seem to work very well. I had to abandon a few fort because they reached 200+ dorfs which killed my FPS. Literally. :smallannoyed:

Setting the limit at 100 doesn't seem to work all too well.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-15, 08:47 PM
I still don't really know how to train soldiers. I rely mainly on a combination of ballistae, dwarven atom smashers, and cage traps.

Grif
2011-12-15, 08:51 PM
I still don't really know how to train soldiers. I rely mainly on a combination of ballistae, dwarven atom smashers, and cage traps.

Several ways. Those cage traps? Good for capturing live prisoners for your dorfs to beat on. Just make sure you remove their weapon and shield first. Wouldn't want your dorf to suffer a rather inconvenient mace to the head.

Or you can assign pairs to a squad, and get them to spar. (Seems to require a certain minimal skill level before they start sparring.)

Or if you're feeling gamey, just build a danger room. Load it with wooden training spears, pressure plates to trigger them, armour your dorfs (bronze at the very least), then send them in.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-16, 03:55 AM
Several ways. Those cage traps? Good for capturing live prisoners for your dorfs to beat on. Just make sure you remove their weapon and shield first. Wouldn't want your dorf to suffer a rather inconvenient mace to the head.

Or you can assign pairs to a squad, and get them to spar. (Seems to require a certain minimal skill level before they start sparring.)

Or if you're feeling gamey, just build a danger room. Load it with wooden training spears, pressure plates to trigger them, armour your dorfs (bronze at the very least), then send them in.I think it's faster having a lever in the middle of your Fortress (a dining hall, for instance) linked to the trap and just Repeat pull it.

Luzahn
2011-12-17, 12:13 AM
We should probably start soon, to avoid people losing interest.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-17, 12:18 AM
Hmn. I believe we said Monday, but I can start now. Expect a post with a log of what happened around tomorrow night.

Luzahn
2011-12-17, 12:27 AM
Ah, sorry. Hadn't realized that had been decided. Are we making IC posts as a Dwarven overseer, or OOC?

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-17, 12:32 AM
However you like, I suppose. I, personally, prefer the overseer way. Any opinions on the topic?

Luzahn
2011-12-17, 12:43 AM
Well, it could be interesting to declare war on everybody else. Demon-led elves and humans versus dwarven survivors. Our only hope is to build an arsenal of demon-slaying adamantine things.

However, I do enjoy the grimdark a bit too much.

Grif
2011-12-17, 01:21 AM
I'm fine with either. Though posting as an overseer is always amusing.

Do name your avatar inside as well. :smalltongue:

Luzahn
2011-12-17, 01:30 AM
Ah yes, I'm sure plenty of people will want to be Dorfed. First seven players should name the initial settlers, or something.

Shpadoinkle
2011-12-17, 02:27 AM
I'd like to be the brewer, if that's possible.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-17, 09:56 AM
How about we do the "name a dorf after yourself when you leave and give him the profession 'retired ruler'" thing?

Gnoman
2011-12-17, 02:41 PM
For those not familiar with the current version, I want to stress this.

BURY EVERYONE

Weezer
2011-12-17, 02:42 PM
For those not familiar with the current version, I want to stress this.

BURY EVERYONE

Or, if you are unable/unwilling to retrieve the bodies, engrave them a memorial stone. It's important.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-17, 02:51 PM
Are you kidding me? Ghosts can throw parties! How could I possibly not like them?

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-17, 02:59 PM
Perhaps I should ask before I get too far into the game. What version are we using? I think I'm running 0.31.25 right now. That should be close enough to current to be compatible, right?

Shadowleaf
2011-12-17, 03:01 PM
I'm 0.31.25 as well.

Gnoman
2011-12-17, 03:14 PM
0.31.25 is the current release.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-17, 08:38 PM
Good. Sorry I'm taking so long, I got a bit distracted by general family activities. I may have to delay until tomorrow afternoon, as I have an exam tomorrow morning.

Moranica
2011-12-18, 11:29 AM
Are we using the order as on OP? And also, what the max waiting time for someone to post?

How about 24/48 hours for a sign of activity and an indication when the update will be out and 1 week for the update? You can always switch places / pass if you don't have time.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 12:59 PM
48 for a sign of activity seems appropriate, and I believe we agreed on 1 week total. I am going to try to put up a post whenever I metaphorically put the game down. I'll start after I finish re-reading this chem textbook one more time (sometime later today).

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 02:43 PM
One last question before I start. What is our opinion on exploiting bugs (like, for example, snatching the depot out from underneath merchants)?

Luzahn
2011-12-18, 02:49 PM
I'd prefer that we didn't exploit bugs. It's more Fun to do it correctly.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 02:50 PM
OK then, it looks like I'll have to set up some dedicated craftshops after all...

Grif
2011-12-18, 03:06 PM
OK then, it looks like I'll have to set up some dedicated craftshops after all...

Make that mechanics. The gullible elves take anything after all.

Pokonic
2011-12-18, 03:09 PM
Dwarf me, please. Dont put me up for a turn, but try to make me a miltiary dwarf with a good spear arm. Pokionic shall be my name, gutting goblins is my game.:smalltongue:

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 03:11 PM
Prologue: World Creation
Note: This section is OOC, as it describes the creation of the world.

The world was created using the following variable selections:
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/Cap1.png

The world was fairly small to help reduce the pain my laptop would feel during world creation, the history was long to give us lots of backstory to work with when we get bored and start doing crazy things. Sites are low because I always thought that created more coherent looking worlds. The number of civs is default because why not. Beasts and savagery are everywhere for the veteran players, and the minerals are frequent to help the noobs.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/world_map-region6-550--10081.jpg

I'll post again soon. Comments are welcome, but if there's anything you want changed or redone, speak soon please.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-18, 03:22 PM
But, but.. Danger rooms :(

Grif
2011-12-18, 03:27 PM
But, but.. Danger rooms :(

Real dorfs throw those filthy peasants into a pit full of forgotten beasts and make sure they don't come out until they have Legendary skills. :smallbiggrin:

Shadowleaf
2011-12-18, 03:34 PM
Real dorfs throw those filthy peasants into a pit full of forgotten beasts and make sure they don't come out until they have Legendary skills. :smallbiggrin:Yea, I did that once..

.. Well okay, I didn't throw the peasants in..

.. And the Forgotten Beasts weren't as much in a pit as they were in my Fortress..

.. And my peasants didn't really get Legendary skills..

.. They just sort of died..

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 03:52 PM
Entry 1:
Our glorious leaders have finally decided on a location for the new outpost fortress. It will be located in the wilderness in the mountains on the border of the Elevated Forest. The nearby Freezebalded Brook will provide the brave settlers with water. I can hardly wait to hear which of my friends has been nominated as the overseer of the fort. I envy whoever is blessed with this great honor.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/Cap2.png

Entry 2:
Damn. Can't say I saw that one coming.
Oh, well. I may as well make the most of it.
I will be working with seven highly courageous dwarves: a miner of no small repute; an herbalist and farmer who dabbles in woodcutting in his spare time and comes from a family of brewers and chefs; a carpenter; a mason; a craftsdwarf who has some experience with mechanics; a hunter, butcher, and trainer who fishes as a hobby; and the expedition leader who will take care of the numbers and records.
They were almost ready to leave when I got the message, and I barely made it down to the caravan depot in time to throw some extra food and a few animals (two cats and two dogs) that I bought with what little money I had left (gods know I won't need it where we're going) onto the wagon. For some reason, they thought it would be a good idea to bring wooden splints and crutches to a forest, so I sold those for more seeds. I'm sitting on the wagon on the way out now. I figure it might be a good idea to keep records of my own in case anything happens. I'll write more once we arrive.

Oh I almost forgot. They came up with a name for our new home: It will be called Romekkun in the old tongue. Named after one of the cats, who my companions keep insisting is 'enormous'.

Luzahn
2011-12-18, 04:18 PM
So what are we doing for story?

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 04:20 PM
Entry 3:
We have arrived at the valley in which we are to build the fort. We made our way down to the brook, and I ordered the dwarves to begin collecting resources like wood and plants. I also ordered the digging of a tunnel into the mountain-side bank. We struck stone rather quickly, and I ordered most of it to be collected. I also had the yaks (which I believe we picked up somewhere along the way) to be pastured in an area just across the brook.
I plan to quickly dig out a large cavern to store miscellaneous supplies in. We will also need bedrooms, rooms for workshops, a study for our leader-bookkeeper-broker-manager, and a deeper cavern with an irrigation system for a farm.
Our mechanic/craftsdwarf was temporarily recruited to mining duty to help get the fortress underway.
I also had our mason begin work smoothing the stone of the new fortress. No sense leaving him with nothing to do.
I have included a rough sketch of what my plans look like, with an overlay of our actual progress.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/Cap3.png

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 04:22 PM
OOC: I have no particular preferences regarding the story. If you want to add some, go for it. I may have done a bit of background for my character, and will add on it as we go on, but otherwise I'm leaving it up to you guys.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-18, 04:25 PM
OOC: I have no particular preferences regarding the story. If you want to add some, go for it. I may have done a bit of background for my character, and will add on it as we go on, but otherwise I'm leaving it up to you guys.We could just cover the story from different angles, i.e. all take the identify of different dwarves.

Pokonic
2011-12-18, 04:26 PM
If you want, we could reuse the old plot of ponyfort: A bunch of outcastes set up a wonderful upper area and a horrible lower area that produces everything. Hence, buildings everywhere below, and a decked-out upper chamber for the few lucky dwarves valued in the plave.

Shadowleaf
2011-12-18, 04:28 PM
If you want, we could reuse the old plot of ponyfort: A bunch of outcastes set up a wonderful upper area and a horrible lower area that produces everything. Hence, buildings everywhere below, and a decked-out upper chamber for the few lucky dwarves valued in the plave.Like the Dwarftopia challenge?

Luzahn
2011-12-18, 04:28 PM
Hm, that looks a bit hard to defend.

Gnoman
2011-12-18, 04:35 PM
That's not the point of a sucession game. Every player an dow whatever they feel like, as long as they don't deliberately wreck the fort.

Luzahn
2011-12-18, 04:40 PM
I know, I'm just plotting out loud.

Does anybody know what quality governs whether a dwarf goes into a martial trance or a rage?

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 05:03 PM
Entry 4:
Everything seems to be progressing well. There is loose stone lying around everywhere, but that's fine because Dastot Fikodast, our craftsdwarf, is using it up at a tremendous rate. We've constructed a trade depot, so we plan to make sure that any merchants leave weighed down with enough crafts to sink one of those fancy human 'ship' things.
I've just laid out the plans for an irrigation system for the farms. There will be one main chamber with a floodgate leading towards the river, a door back to the rest of the fort, and a floodgate leading to a drainage pit. There will also be a smaller control room with the levers to open and close the floodgates. I'm not exactly sure how it will work, but Dastot assured me that he will only need two or three mechanisms to link the floodgates up.
Speaking of Dastot, he tells me he has come up with plans to create a large smashing device to protect the fortress entrance. We're also working up some sort of cage traps to snag unwary thieves, and building a few ballistae to shoot through fortifications at the entryway at anything big enough to avoid the smasher.
Another sketch:
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/Cap4.png

Grif
2011-12-18, 05:25 PM
Looks like the perfect spot to build a dodge trap... :smallbiggrin:

Pokonic
2011-12-18, 05:32 PM
Like the Dwarftopia challenge?

Kinda, but with little to no contact between the two layers. The upper part should be guarded by dwarves in steel armor, at least, while the lower parts should be so trapped and danger-filled that most would never last a year. The farms should be the nearest to the surface, with the dwarves bellow stopped from getting to the upper parts with a mix of burrows and navigatinal issues.

Looks like the perfect spot to build a dodge trap...

Or a place to put a animal cage right above it.:smallbiggrin:

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 05:43 PM
OOC: An annotated version of the last screencap:
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/Cap4ann.png

Luzahn
2011-12-18, 06:49 PM
Is an atom smasher that cheat with the bridge eliminating things?

Weezer
2011-12-18, 06:50 PM
Is an atom smasher that cheat with the bridge eliminating things?

I'm certainly planning on exchanging it for a hallway of traps, don't like atom smashing things on purpose, it feels abusive (though I will admit it's fun to do on accident).

Luzahn
2011-12-18, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I'm even a bit wary of using dodge traps. But those kill my militia half the time, so it's ok.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 08:57 PM
I don't consider atom-smashers to be an exploit. Perhaps using them to destroy excess items could be, but in all fairness lowering a drawbridge on someone does tend to kill them. Besides, it has specific exceptions for over-sized animals such as elephants. This implies that you are meant to be able to use them that way.

Weezer
2011-12-18, 09:26 PM
I don't consider atom-smashers to be an exploit. Perhaps using them to destroy excess items could be, but in all fairness lowering a drawbridge on someone does tend to kill them. Besides, it has specific exceptions for over-sized animals such as elephants. This implies that you are meant to be able to use them that way.

But it takes all the fun out of it, no slicing goblins to bits, no capturing them in cages to use as either naked training dummies or to throw into an arena and it removes all threat from everything smaller than elephants and/or titans.

Pokonic
2011-12-18, 09:29 PM
But it takes all the fun out of it, no slicing goblins to bits, no capturing them in cages to use as either naked training dummies or to throw into an arena and it removes all threat from everything smaller than elephants and/or titans.

You can remove all of them on your turn.:smallwink:

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-18, 09:31 PM
Like I said, I'm making a line of cage traps in front of it. I just have it for anything that gets through.

Luzahn
2011-12-18, 09:40 PM

Sounds like a good idea. Easy enough to put back if somebody wants it. I just hate having the fort become unkillable with atom smashers. Feels about equivalent to just walling everything off.

Weezer
2011-12-18, 09:43 PM

Wasn't that what I said I'd do in my first post on the subject? But yes, easy enough to remove, or simply refrain from using.

Grif
2011-12-19, 04:33 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Easy enough to put back if somebody wants it. I just hate having the fort become unkillable with atom smashers. Feels about equivalent to just walling everything off.

I for one won't be using atom smashers.

Glass traps on the other hand...

*rubs hand with glee.*

We do have sand right?

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-20, 03:13 PM
Alright, sorry about the delay. I've had a bit of a time, what with exams and whatnot. Just got the game going again, so expect an update soon.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-20, 04:12 PM
Entry 5:
Everything seems to be going well. Dastot, who has been making crafts to sell to merchants, has become so advanced at this task that he has started producing masterpieces. I just told him to keep on going until he runs out of stone.
We could really use a few more workers here to move all this stone. While Dastot seems capable of dealing with a large amount of it highhandedly, there is always more.
Meanwhile, our stoneworker Shorast is busy smoothing stone at a trememdous rate. I just wish he would take some time off to make the things I asked for at the mason's workshop.
I've designated bedrooms for everyone, nice ones too. Not just your average 2x2, no sir, but 3x2. Very fancy.
Turns out the farms won't need irrigation after all, as the area I had reserved for them is made up of soft loamy clay-mud-dirt.
I've almost finished the garbage room, and am thinking of making a tunnel to direct any resultant miasma to the entrance of the fortress. That way, should we be invaded, we can lower a floodgate and let our attackers eat miasma.
Seemingly in answer to my prayers, some migrants have arrived. We have gained a trapper and a weaponsmith.
I have initiated construction of the cage traps to line the outer perimeter of the entranceway and a kennels to train war dogs. I am thinking of adding more workshops to the fort, such as a forge, a kitchen, and a butcher's shop.
The defensive smashing mechanism is finally complete. It is activated via a lever in the main entranceway.
I have ordered the construction of a siege workshop to construct ballista parts, a still to make some booze, a smelter, and a wood furnace to fuel the fires.
I told Dastot to give the crafts a break, and perhaps do some work on the damn masonry I asked for months ago. I want a functional dining room, dammit! Excuse my outburst, the lack of ale is getting to me. Here is another sketch:
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/Cap6.jpg

Shadowleaf
2011-12-20, 04:56 PM
Woah Dreaming, you do not use a lot of Z-levels. Had this been my fortress, I'd stretched the Fortress over at least 4-6 Z-levels already.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-20, 04:59 PM
Ah yes, I forgot the second z-level. It's basically just a corridor running west to the river and a pair of rooms at the end. The room to the south is a max size farm plot. The room to the north has two levers, and was going to be a floodgate control room until I figured out I don't need floodgates.
But yes, I do tend to use few z layers. I have a large screen, so if I keep everything on one level I can see it all at once.

Luzahn
2011-12-21, 12:41 PM
I do the same thing with z-levels. I can't stand asymmetry, so i end up making four rooms off of a shaft on each level. Very inefficient. :smallfrown:

Pokonic
2011-12-21, 05:56 PM
I do the same thing with z-levels. I can't stand asymmetry, so i end up making four rooms off of a shaft on each level. Very inefficient. :smallfrown:

I once made a fort that never extended father than ten tiles at its widest. I called it my nest fort.:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Do we have a Dwarfing list yet? All the best forts have a dwarfing list on the op.:smallredface:

Luzahn
2011-12-21, 06:28 PM
One day I'd like to close off the surface and treat the caverns as the overworld. It would fix tunnel-adaptation.

Weezer
2011-12-22, 10:29 PM
Do we have a Dwarfing list yet? All the best forts have a dwarfing list on the op.:smallredface:

Dwarfing list? What's that?

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-22, 11:14 PM
Indeed, what is it?

(I'm still here, btw, I've just been a bit busy with a giant party today. I'll post again tomorrow, probably the whole way to the end of the in-game year.)

Luzahn
2011-12-23, 12:02 PM
It's a list of in-game Dwarves named for players/people who want one on the forum.

They exist to provide us with something to laugh at when they die horribly.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-24, 02:14 PM
Entry 6: (23rd Galena - 18th Sandstone)
I've ordered the construction of parts for the balistae, and given instructions to dig deeper in search or more precious minerals. Now that we have the forges and smelters set up, I hope to begin production of more valuable crafts. Perhaps we might even hit an underground cavern.
Luck! We have hit native gold. I plan to mine it, smelt it, and make it into crafts for traders.
I ordered the dwarves to make more barrels to store booze from our new still and to make charcoal at our new wood furnace. I also ordered the construction of the balistae from the parts we built.
I told Edem Ikalkol, our farmer, to make a small outdoor farm to grow native plants for brewing.
Some migrants have arrived.
We are joined in our expedition by an animal dissector and mechanic; a gem-setter who knows more about fighting than anyone else here; an herbalist and military tactician; a fish cleaner who can also craft wood, make bows, operate furnaces, and take care of animals; and a child.
The balistae are complete. The dining room is being put together, and a study is being built for Mafol Zonakum, the expedition's leader/bookkeeper/broker/manager. The fortress is finally coming together as a coherent force, or maybe it just seems that way since we finally have enough haulers to get things done.
The cats had kittens, and while Moldath Stelidudil tells me that roast kitten tastes delicious and recommends their immediate cooking, I see no harm in letting them live and keeping our fortress free of vermin.
I plan to turn the main hallway northwards, and build a large storage cavern off of it.
Another quick sketch, not including the sub-levels:
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/Cap7.jpg

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-24, 04:54 PM
Sorry, I was just playing, but my computer crashed for unrelated reasons. This is what would have been is DF had saved.

Entry 7: (18th Sandstone -
The outpost liaison has arrived, and so has a caravan from Ingish Gamil. I had the dwarves load all our crafts out to the depot (all 8 and a half pages in my logs). Unfortunately, Mafol was a bit too busy sleeping, then eating, then hauling goods to the depot, to attend to the merchants.
Winter is upon us.
It's really rather funny, watching the liaison chasing Mafol around as he runs around avoiding the task I gave him. The poor liaison!
Ah well, Mafol finally got around to the trading. We managed to get some tin, some ale, a bin of cloth, some crossbow bolts, a few anvils, lots of food, a chain shirt, and several other miscellaneous items. Unfortunately, the head merchant got all annoyed before we could trade all we had. Looks like we won't have to make much more for the next group of merchants, as we have plenty left over.
I told Mafol to prioritize metals, seeds, and food, as well as some animals, weapons, and other such goods when talking to the liaison.

Grif
2011-12-24, 07:42 PM
Sorry, I was just playing, but my computer crashed for unrelated reasons. This is what would have been is DF had saved.

Entry 7: (18th Sandstone -
The outpost liaison has arrived, and so has a caravan from Ingish Gamil. I had the dwarves load all our crafts out to the depot (all 8 and a half pages in my logs). Unfortunately, Mafol was a bit too busy sleeping, then eating, then hauling goods to the depot, to attend to the merchants.
Winter is upon us.
It's really rather funny, watching the liaison chasing Mafol around as he runs around avoiding the task I gave him. The poor liaison!
Ah well, Mafol finally got around to the trading. We managed to get some tin, some ale, a bin of cloth, some crossbow bolts, a few anvils, lots of food, a chain shirt, and several other miscellaneous items. Unfortunately, the head merchant got all annoyed before we could trade all we had. Looks like we won't have to make much more for the next group of merchants, as we have plenty left over.
I told Mafol to prioritize metals, seeds, and food, as well as some animals, weapons, and other such goods when talking to the liaison.

Youch. That kinda sucked. I hope you got the year going again soon.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-24, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I saved before that. I'll start again soon, trying to get it done by later tonight. That way I can have Christmas off tomorrow, and pass the game on to the next person.

Sen isSaqqara
2011-12-24, 10:33 PM
Entry 7: (18th Sandstone - 27th Obsidian)
I have decided to note down only the more significant events from here on in. I'll note down new projects, finds, and buildings for future overseers, but other than that I'll try to refrain from talking about each and every thing that happens.
Anyways, everything seems to be going as per plan. With any luck, I should be able to get myself back to civilization by the new year.
I ordered the construction of a quern to grind local plants to seeds. Hopefully we will be able to grow some wild plants outside, for brewing in the future. The quern is located at the far end of the horizontal section of the main hallway.
The outpost liaison has arrived with merchants. This is our opportunity to trade away all these useless crafts for something of practical value. Accordingly, I've moved all our best quality goods to the depot. We'll give the worse ones as tribute back to Ingish Gamil.
I've focused mainly on getting us food for the winter ahead. Speaking of winter, it appears to be upon us. The first snow is falling and whatnot. I've got to get out of here, and back to the mountain-halls of my home city.
It is rather funny to see the outpost liaison chasing after old Mafol, our fearless leader. Even as he sleeps, the liaison stands over his bed waiting to ambush him with a meeting when he wakes.
After having stripped the merchants of every edible item they had and loading them down with stone crafts of no real value, I went to check in on how Mafol was doing with the outpost liaison. I signaled that we would be needing more food, seeds, drink, and metal, along with weapons. I have the feeling that we may need them eventually. I also managed to secure myself a place on the outgoing cart come new year's. They're shipping some new hot-shot to take my place. Now that I think of it, though, I don't really want to leave. This place has started to mean something to me. I may just stick around... I must be going mad.
The liaison has presented the list of goods required by Ingish Gamil:
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/export1.png
Hmn, looking at some of those goods, perhaps it would be a good idea for me to stick around and pick up a few crafting skills to help out...
I've ordered the construction of a gem-cutter's workshop, and a cage-trap setup to the north of the fort. I've seen a few herds or tribes of animals passing through, it would be nice to snare a few.
Speaking of snares, a goblin thief recently managed to avoid ours. He got away, but he didn't manage to steal anything of ours.
A sketch of the fortress as it stands (once again, without lower floors):
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j398/dreamingmage/Cap9.png

Entry 8: (28th Obsidian)
I have decided to stay. I hope that the next overseer has an easy time, but I'll stay here just in case. Perhaps I may take over as overseer once again some day.

OOC: I've nicknamed a dwarf after myself, and am in the process of putting a link to the save in the OP there is a link to the save file in the OP.

Luzahn
2011-12-27, 01:01 PM
Has the next person in line started his year yet?

Weezer
2011-12-27, 01:02 PM
Has the next person in line started his year yet?

I'll start it up today, what with Christmas and all I haven't had a chance until now.

Weezer
2011-12-27, 09:00 PM
Entry 1, Spring 552:

Today I take control of this fortress, the old overseer having tired of his duties and retired to a life of quiet craftdwarfship. In surveying my new holding I have settled on a few major changes that need to be made. Firstly the main drawbridge is facing the wrong way, it won’t even block the entrance! Need to replace that right away. Also there don’t seem to be enough defences, I will order construction begun immediately on a trap filled side entrance to lure invaders through. Dwarves tell me that there are outcroppings of hematite nearby, sending a few dwarves to mine them out, we need to get some mineral production going.

A new wave of migrants has arrived, dwarfing the numbers of colonists already present. I’m grateful for the added hands, but food may begin to be an issue.

Towards the end of the season an elvish caravan arrived. Being pansy tree-huggers they didn’t have much of value, just traded for some food and a bit of wine. Dumped some of our worthless stonecrafts on them…

Summer has arrived, closing out a largely uneventful season.

(I didn't include a screen shot, nothing has really changed.)

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-03, 09:24 PM
Well that died fast.

Gnoman
2012-01-03, 09:31 PM
Save was posted a week ago, so I'd rule the turn over. I'll get the save and start on it tomorrow, if there are no objections.

Grif
2012-01-04, 12:29 AM
Save was posted a week ago, so I'd rule the turn over. I'll get the save and start on it tomorrow, if there are no objections.

Very good. Let's try to keep this alive, shall we?

Shadowleaf
2012-01-04, 12:32 AM
No objections from here.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-05, 11:24 PM
None here, either. Go for it.

Moranica
2012-01-07, 12:36 PM
Gogogo!! :smallbiggrin:

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-07, 03:17 PM
It's officially your turn, Gnoman. Go for it!

Luzahn
2012-01-07, 04:42 PM
We're terrible at this. :smallsigh:

Gnoman
2012-01-07, 07:21 PM
I'm working on it. Having a little trouble deciding what to do.

Luzahn
2012-01-08, 10:36 AM
I'm working on it. Having a little trouble deciding what to do.

Fire. And war. It makes us strong.

Gnoman
2012-01-08, 02:01 PM
Journal of Gnoman Leadwalled, Metal King

28 Obsidian, 551

The leader of this fort has abdicated his post in order to aimlessly move stone between stockpiles. I now rule in Longcat.

1 Granite, 551

There are massive stone stockpiles everwhere. I have ordered them destroyed because they are absolutely useless. There is also, for some reason, an everything stockpile. While not useless, it is foolish to simply throw things everywhere like that. I will have to reorganize. To begin with, I will move the trade depot to a safer location, and place the stocpile for trade goods underneath it. I have created a large outdoor food stockpile for the moment, as we seem to have a shortage of storage. Finally, our defenses are completely useless, relying on one unreliable bridge, and two ballista built so close to the target zone that any operators will flee in the justified terror that an attacker will put a spear through the fortifications and kill them. I will have to relocate.

EDIT: I'm mostly finished, but have had problems with work that have orevented me from posting the save. I'll upload it when I gain access to the save in an hour or so.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-12, 11:21 PM
Gnoman, don't worry about double posting. When you just edit like that, we don't see it on our control panels.

Phew, i was worried it was dead for a while. Come on, lets keep this going.

Gnoman
2012-01-14, 02:28 PM
Sorry I haven't posted yet. I went blind for a few days (scratcfehd cornea, worst pain ever.) I'll have it up as soon as my laptop charges.

Moranica
2012-01-14, 03:06 PM
Wow, that sounds bad! Hope you're ok now.

Gnoman
2012-01-14, 04:37 PM
Painful and expensice, but not too bad in the long run.

28 Granite, 551

Ustuth has proved my wisdom in destroying our defenses by placing a large deposit of flash opals in the new ammuniton stockplie.

10 Slate

A small party of 18 migrants has arrived. Excellent, as the labour shortage was severe. Even better, the party was led by a seasoned warrior, well trained in the arts martial, who is also skilled in weaving, clothes-making, woodcrafting, stonecrafting, glassmaking, the working of leather, carving bones, pottery, glazing, and the shaping of wax. I feel we have found our general. (OOC note. I have never seen this many good skills on a migrant before.)

3 Felsite, 551

A blacksmith has withdrawn from society and stolen some tetrahedrite and iron bars. Hope the lazy idiot starves.

8 Felsite, 551

The lazy blacksmith has made an extremely well crafted, finely decorated bucket.

18 Felsite, 551

The enemy elven caravan has arrived. I've ordered a ton of crafts moved to the new depot. With luck, we'll be able to get some exotic meats and drinks.

25 Felsite.

Unfortunately, the disposable migrant that I handed a pick to has fallen to his death in the cavern that I ordered him to dig a deep shaft in search for. He will be missed by the next dwarf that I need to do something stupid.

22 Hematite, 551

7 migrants, all useless

6 Galena

The warmaster is more than a little frightening. I ordered him down into the caravan to kill a few troglodytes that were in the way of further expansion. He easily killed seven of them, leaven one legless one to crawl around for his amusement. He took sadistic pleasure in coldly butchering the others, severing one limb at a time, first the left foot, then the right, then the left leg, then the right, with his shiny new axe.

10 Galena, 551

A large force of troglodytes has ambushed one of the gem setters, throwing her and her baby off a cliff. Also, a cook has died in the same manner.

There's a few unlogged events. The warmaster was mauled in the foot by a bear because I forgot to give him good shoes, but he's doing ok with a crutch. I traded most of our cut gems to the humans for various useful supplies. Did not take the full year because of corruption (luckily, I had a backup.) The new bridge is not hooked to anything.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5364

Luzahn
2012-01-14, 05:57 PM
Hah, excellent results. The best part of a DF game is the listing of deaths.

It looks like Grif is next, correct?

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-15, 01:57 AM
Correct! Grif, you there?

Also, the link has been logged in the OP.

Grif
2012-01-15, 02:04 AM
I am. Just not checking the thread.

Okay, I'll get started in the next few days.

Grif
2012-01-17, 12:13 AM
Interesting layout. I'll start tonight if all goes well.

Still figuring out what goes where and how...

:smallconfused:

We need more Z-levels that's for sure.

Luzahn
2012-01-17, 10:38 AM
Do we at least have a mineshaft?

Gnoman
2012-01-17, 10:47 AM
We have access to two caverns.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-17, 11:47 AM
Some screencaps would be nice.

Grif
2012-01-18, 09:10 AM
Okay, just loaded the game up proper and I think I more or less figured out what goes where, barring the random levers which I sincerely hope are labelled.

Screencaps within the hour.

EDIT: Here we go.

Diary of Stukos Sodelnokzam
22 Limestone

Well, isn't this a right mess? The previous overseer just came up one fine day and said, "Stukos, you're the new boss. Congratulations. Here's the keys to the secret overseer's whiskey stash." Then he ran off giggling like a mad child. Of course, it wasn't later I found out that the "stash" was actually empty, but at the time, I was too shocked to even think of the liquor. Having a load of responsibility dumped on you does have that effect on you...

Ah. That's all bridge under the water. A cursory look of our stores seems to indicate we're fine, though a little low on drink. (On hindsight, that might explain why the overseer's stash was empty.) Of course, this situation was corrected at once and more stills are to be added as soon as able.

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files3/91908/lOcfF2GRZ.png

What was more alarming was the state of defense of our fort. Or rather, the lack of it. An unreliable bridge and a mere line of cage traps were all that stands between us and the goblin-filled outside world. We will need to rectify that, and fast. Before winter sets in. Not even our warmaster could protect us if the goblins decide to attack in force.

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files3/91909/KCqI4jHJ.png

We would also need to build stockpiles to accommodate our growing stocks. One small storeroom is hardly enough.

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files3/91910/UB4YAtj1.png

I will add more when I actually have something done.

PS: Why in the name of Armok is our depot located underground and inaccessible to merchants? :smallconfused:

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-18, 11:35 AM
Well, it's nice this isn't dead.

Gnoman
2012-01-18, 11:38 AM
It's completely accessible. Merchants don't bring waggons anymore due to a bug. I've used it twice. I put it underground to make it easier to link to the fort proper later if such was desired, and I don't like eaving buildings outside if there's a place prepared for them.

Grif
2012-01-18, 11:59 AM
Interesting. But meh, I just decided to move it into the fort proper instead, complete with a separate entrance. It makes hauling all our goods to the depot easier as well.

Grif
2012-01-19, 12:00 PM
I believe I just had the first casualty of the turn. Actually two.

Our former overseer fell to his death while designing a bridge. How? I will never know.

The second was a weaver. Thankfully no skills. More to come.

EDIT: Spring. And more migrants.

This time we actually have an influx of quite useful bodies, with no less than 5 possessing at least rudimentary military skills. (Mostly Hammerers. Sliver hammers ahoy!) We also got a very good doctor among them.

Other skills were mostly meh though. (A legendary Plant Processor though.)

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-19, 05:16 PM
Which former overseer?

Grif
2012-01-19, 06:13 PM
You. Sorry, didn't clarify. Gnoman is still very much up and alive. On the bright side, you got a nifty tomb.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-19, 07:27 PM
*grumbles* better well be a damn good tomb *grumbles*

Luzahn
2012-01-20, 09:20 AM
Hm, I never asked. What weapons-grade metals do we have?

Grif
2012-01-20, 11:06 AM
Hm, I never asked. What weapons-grade metals do we have?

We have plenty of iron, and overflowing with flux stones.

Anyway, minor update. Text and diary updates as soon as I get off my arse to write them.

It's now summer and we're chugging along just fine. Had a forgotten beast which slaughtered most of our livestocks. Said beast was caged though, so we probably could setup a pit for it later if you guys fancy it. I also finished the dodge trap bridge, and lost another guy in the process. (Whops, lever.)

@Dreamingmage, you got a pretty decent sized tomb, so that should be enough. Maybe I'll add the gold statues. :smalltongue:

Gnoman
2012-01-20, 04:52 PM
Had begun production of steel, but I ran out of charcoal because I forgot that pig iron and steel take two units of coal to make now (in older versions, the bar used for fuel would count as the one needed for the actual production.)

Luzahn
2012-01-20, 06:51 PM
...Forgotten Beast zoo?

Grif
2012-01-21, 01:06 AM
Right. Year's done. (Up to Winter 553).

While writing up my entries, here's something for you guys to snack on.

http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files3/92378/wFsDpKyB6E.png

A view of the fort as it is.
http://www.dumpyourphoto.com/files3/92394/4OQsVbpYUraL.png

Diary of Stukos Sodelnokzam
17 Sandstone
A party of stragglers from the mountainhomes stumbled at our doorsteps. Not much useful skills to be had. At least they're good for goblin bait if things go that bad.

1 Moonstone
Not much happening, apart from digging out our new depot and storage rooms just below the main level.

8 Moonstone
One of our newcomers got himself into a strange mood. He seemed to have claimed a clothier workshop and demanded yarn... which we do not have. I have taken precautions in case he goes insane. (As these cases are liable to end up.) I do not think we will be able to procure yarn and our dwarven brothers from the mountainhomes did not bring any either.

4 Opal
In the name of Armok, I swear some of us are born with half the brain they're supplied with. One of our former overseer, who goes by the strange moniker 'Zenowrath' somehow fell into the pit we're digging while trying to design the bridge above it. Foul play was ruled out, though I swear the miners were giving me shifty looks. Perhaps they had a grudge to settle? We may never know. I have ordered a proper funeral to be held and a tomb befitting his stature to be dug out below.

16 Opal
Yep, our weaver gone mad. He's now running around in the fort naked, shouting for yarn. At least he seemed harmless.

1 Granite
Armok be praised. Another group of migrants from the mountainhomes and one of them seemed to be actually competent with a weapon. I've assigned her, as well as a few other peons to the militia. Perhaps we might actually survive a goblin siege now. We also somehow managed to acquire a dwarf who knows the difference between a cold and a pneumonia.

11 Granite
Today, 'Xenowrath' was properly interned in his final resting place in our newly dug tomb. May he be less unlucky in his next life.

28 Granite
It seemed we got another moody dwarf. This one was at least demanding materials we actually have, so we let him claim the crafts workshop and see what he comes out with.

17 Slate
Today I was rudely awoken by my assistant who proclaimed that our fishcleaner had finally produced a masterpiece. "Minedwatch the Ashamed Confederations". I gave him an unamused stare for disturbing my sleep for a mere wooden ring and summarily sent him to haul stones for the rest of the month. A wooden ring? Really? Have we became elves now? I made a note to toss the ring into the nearest bin as soon as possible.

26 Slate
Armok take us! Somebody left corpses rotting in our butchery. There will be hell to pay for this insolence!

14 Felsite
It appears we have a shortage of bedrooms and beds in general. I stumbled into our new dormitory and found no less than a dozen dwarves dozing away happily on the floor! This must be rectified as once. Oh, and the elves arrived. Guess we should buy their environmentally friendly wood or something.

18 Hematite
PANIC! PANIC!
I shall record the last moments of my life here as a guide to future generations, should they stumble upon this diary. Today, a huge minotaur emerged from the wilds and is heading towards our fort. I can only pray to Armok's beard that we will emerged from this alive.

1 Malachite
Well. I do not know what to write.
The monster was apparently dumb enough to let itself be caged by one of our traps. The only casualty of this monster was a few livestocks unlucky enough to be caught outside. I must say that the fort shall remember my cool leadership in this time of crisis. Indeed they shall. None shall know of the trader who fell to his death because of a mistimed bridge retraction. No sirree!

16 Malachite
It seems we have another group of migrants banging on our doorsteps. Nothing noteworthy, but one of them seems to be a rather skilled doctor as well.

9 Galena
It seems we have an infestation of the supernatural... of that dead trader. Fortunately, he seems to be mute and I easily passed off his appearance due to some restless spirit from below. In any case, I discreetly ordered a memorial carved in his name.

19 Galena
Ah, our human neighbours have stopped by for their annual visit. At least they aren't pansies like those detestable elves.

20 Galena
Curses! Goblin ambushers. They must have lurked outside for quite sometime. I have ordered everyone to retreat into the fort.

23 Galena
On gut instinct, I order our most experienced squads to sally forth and rescue civilians trapped outside. To our dismay, another squad of goblin bowmen appeared and massacared them, leaving three soldiers and two civilians dead. The rest of the militia retreated behind our lines of cage traps.

25 Galena
The first squad of goblin pikemen wandered into our lines of weapon traps, slicing and dicing two hapless goblins, with the rest fleeing in terror. Our hammerdwarf, heartened by this display of terror, strode forth and struck down three of the accursed bowman, ignoring the bolts whizzing past her beard. She shall be honoured for this display of bravery.

1 Sandstone
This will be a month of mourning and rebuilding. I've started digging out a new grave as well as organising a new hospital on our main level.

27 Sandstone
More warm bodies arrived to grace our humble fort. I'm starting to think we should put up a sign saying "No vacancies".

1 Timber
We have yet another moody dwarf, this time a metal crafter. Hark, what's that-

It appears a troll emerged from the caverns below. A fistfight broke out between two of our wrestlers and the brute. The creature was finally subdued by a bolt to the head. We really need to watch that entrance.

15 Timber
Oh, our brethrens from the mountainhome has arrived. Hopefully with the whiskey I ordered.

16 Opal
I was astounded by the offer the liaison has put before me. Apparently the wealth of our fort has attracted the attention of the king and he has offered us to be elevated to a barony. As tempting as that offer is, I'm not sure we're ready that. I regretfully turned down the offer, but I leave the choice to my successors should we be offered the same deal again.

24 Opal
Tragedy strikes again! Apparently a cave crocodile wandered in from the caverns unnoticed and bit one of our civilians to death. It was swiftly clubbed to death, but the damage was done. I have ordered for the caverns to be sealed until we could find the time to secure it against critters.

6 Obsidian
Our miners reported that they sealed the caverns. That's one less worry for now.

25 Obsidian
I have decided to convert the room next to our barracks into a makeshift arena. Stripped goblin prisoners will be sent here to train our militia. It'll also be my final act as overseer and I hope future overseers will continue the fort's legacy.

OOC note:
-We suffered a double ambush shortly after my last post. Lost 5 dorfs, 3 of them military. Luckily, our (crippled) warmaster and newly minted hammerdorf took care of them handily. Traps dealt with the rest.
-On our dodge trap, I've built it so that all you need to do is to pull the lever in our meeting hall and retract the bridge. The theory is any invaders will then just dodge the weapon traps place in the hallway to the pit below. (7Z levels currently.) An interesting challenge would be to find a way to pit our forgotten beast into that.
-I've already stripped the weapons from our prisoner of the two ambush. (I think. Never hurts to check again.)
-Our fort was offered a baronship, but I have decided to decline it for my turn. Too much hassle to cater for another noble. You guys are welcome to accept it if you wish.
-We seem to be having a chronic shortage of drinks and barrels to store them in. Charcoal too, but that is to be expected.
-I walled off our initial entrance into an enclosed courtyard.
-We have a legendary metalsmith now.
-We also have a rudimentary hospital. With our excellent doctors, we shouldn't lose anyone to injuries, provided we somehow manage to obtain a supply of soap. (Tallow aplenty.)

EDIT: Save here (http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5389).

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-21, 06:58 AM
Journal of overseer 'Shpadoinkle'

1st Granite
Who the hell was the dumbass responsible for deciding to put me in charge here? I mean, I know it's tradition in some forts to change overseers every year but I don't see why I was chosen. There are 77 other dwarves living here, couldn't one of them have been given this job?

Hell... well, I guess I might as well take stock of everything, see what I've got to work with and give it my best. I mean, the worst I can do is get everyone killed, right?

http://i.imgur.com/wUsK5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/E4ouc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NUwsX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/mpB36.jpg

There are so many dwarves doing so many useless damn things I don't even know where to start. I chose to begin with the military. We have 15 soldiers, only 5 of which I'd call anything close to well equipped. I'll have to fix this.

Looking around, I find myself VERY uncomfortably reminded of the legendary Koganusan.

We apparently have ONE farm plot. This is inadequate.

Oh, nevermind, there's a second one underground.

Most upsettingly, we have a meager 26 drinks for 78 dwarves! Seriously, what the hell, guys? I set to correcting this oversight personally.

Okay, well, it seems things aren't as bad as my first impressions lead me to think, but by Armok we're going to do something about the military.

I spent most of the day thinking and planning about what I'm going to do over the following year and I've made some decisions. There are now three types of dwarves: Soldiers, Peons, and specialists. Most of the useless bastards who were attending a party today were given new titles: the men are now soldiers and the women are now peons. A total of forty-three dwarves were reassigned this way. I can't begin to imagine what the hell my predecessors were doing.

From what I can tell people were allowed to do pretty much whatever they damn well wanted. Well, no more of that crap: This year, we're going to have an orderly, well-oiled fort. No more damn parties and no more standing around with your thumb up your ass. If you don't have anything to do I will find something for you to do.

Gnoman
2012-01-21, 03:28 PM
Use stone pots instead of barrels. Stone is effectively unlimited, while wood is critical for beds, charcoal (since we don't seem to have a bitco or lignite deposit) and ashes.

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-21, 05:42 PM
I've been doing that. I pulled four peons to make them full-time stonecrafters. They're presently making mugs and pots.

Gnoman
2012-01-21, 05:46 PM
K. They were only introduced in the 31.XX series, and were bugged for the first few releases, so I wanted to make sure everyone knew that was an option. It's one of those things that can catch veterans and new players alike.

Grif
2012-01-21, 10:25 PM
K. They were only introduced in the 31.XX series, and were bugged for the first few releases, so I wanted to make sure everyone knew that was an option. It's one of those things that can catch veterans and new players alike.

Yeah, I'm kinda old-fashioned enough to like using wooden barrels for food. :smallbiggrin: Even if it is inefficient. (Same reason why I never took to danger rooms, or the atom smasher. I'd like to try the lava piston some day though.)

EDIT: Would you mind renaming Stukos Sodelnokzam to Grif? I kinda forgot to tag my name to him in my turn. Writing up the events of my turn now. Sorry, no screenshot. Forgot to save it with my thumbdrive.

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-22, 08:22 AM
I've ordered some more storage rooms dug out; two for the crafts I've ordered made, because I'll be damned if we're going to go without something we need because we don't have enough pretty rocks to trade, and six which will be dedicated to storing booze. I have no illusions about being able to actually fill them during my tenure as overseer, but I should be able to get us a pretty solid stock of alcohol. There's no way in hell I'm going to drink water.

I've also had some more equipment made for the military. Everybody should be fully outfitted now.

Felsite 18
Oh hooray, the bloody elves have arrived. I was privately hoping the damn leaf-ears wouldn't be able to make it, but hell, we might as well see what they've brought us. With any luck we'll be able to get some bears or something from them.

Well, the elves didn't have much of anything worth considering. I did buy a water buffalo and a cougar from them, along with some bloated tubers and tuber beer.

Hematite 2
I've begun work on a reservoir drawn from the river. Our current well, situated in the dining room, draws from an underground lake. Well why not invite ALL the nasty flying creatures of the underworld in for stay, hm?

I've repurposed a pit in the courtyard as a drowning chamber. I don't know what the original intent for them was but they're the drowning chambers now. I've also erected some windmills to power a pump to drain them.

Galena 10.
Well, that was smart. I ordered the wall of the river breached while overlooking the facts that 1: the floodgate I'd rigged up to drain the reservoir into the caverns wasn't hooked up to a lever, and 2: that even if it had been, it wouldn't have done any good because the passage to the caverns wasn't sealed off yet.

http://i.imgur.com/XUNsj.jpg

Fortunately the pump I'd rigged up to drain the reservoir back into the river is almost complete, so it shouldn't be too difficult to sort it out from here.

Galena 15
Ugh, the humans have arrived. Well I'm sorry, but unlike my predecessors I don't have forty dwarves sitting on their asses waiting for something to do, so you guys are going to have to hold on for a couple days until I can free up some workers to get our crates to the depot.

http://i.imgur.com/15Dz5.jpg

OH COME ON! We're busy dammit, go away! At least it can't fly. I think.

Galena 18

http://i.imgur.com/z5mQo.jpg

Oh crap, it's just one thing after another, isn't it? I knew things were going too well. Time to see if our soldiers have learned anything, I guess. I know I could just order everyone inside and let them deal with the traps, but what's the point of having an army of minions if you can't occasionally order them to march to their deaths for no reason beyond wanting to see how long they'll last?

EDIT: Would you mind renaming Stukos Sodelnokzam to Grif?

Done.

Luzahn
2012-01-22, 10:27 AM
Is there any chance we've edited the RAWs to enable exotic beast taming?

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-23, 05:24 AM
Well, I finished my turn yesterday. Here's the rest of the my year.

http://i.imgur.com/abQsN.jpg
Imush Emalducim is the first on the scene and promptly kneecaps the goblin, only to gain a brand new hole in her chest courtesy of the marksgoblin hanging back. Naturally she dies of this shortly afterward.

The rest of the army arrives before long and kills some of the remaining goblins, while the others decide to retreat.

Aside from Imush, we suffered two other casualties. Oh well, at last their equipment will go to dwarves who AREN'T stupid enough to get themselves killed.

The army starts back towards the fort but a hammergoblin who had been hiding pops up and attacks.

http://i.imgur.com/MQ40g.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NARg9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qOFrS.jpg

Our army decides to demonstrate why doing so is a bad idea.

Meanwhile, the mayor meets with the humans and shovels over a cartload of the mugs I've been having people make in exchange for all the iron stuff they have. While most of it is useless to us, being too large, we can still melt it down for the iron and make that into steel. He also buys a bunch of meat, fish, and cheese.

Timber 15
The dwarven caravan has arrived. I traded them the mugs we'd been making for anything made of steel they had. I'm not going to have enough time left as overseer to do anything with it, but maybe my successors will be able to get some magma forges up and running, so we'll be able to make something useful out of them. I know it's not really necessary given we have both flux and iron, but you can never have too much steel. I also bought all the alcohol they had, While my own efforts had managed to bring our stocks up to around 800 drinks, considering the record other overseers have had in keeping the booze supply flowing, I'm not hopeful for my successors.

I considered buying some more meat, fish, and cheese for meals, but we have plenty of all that already.

The outpost liason offered to make us a barony. I declined, because I'll be damned if we're going to have useless nobles hanging around and siccing the Hammerer on actually useful, productive members of the fort because we didn't meet their asinine demands for dragon leather codpieces or whatever.

Granite 1
Practically nothing happened between my last journal entry and the start of the next year. The fort's stable, everyone is at least content, the military is training, and we've got enough food and booze to last for some time. I'm managing to keep ahead of the demand for alcohol, but if we get any more migrants a second brewer may be neccesary. All in all, it was a fairly boring year.

End of year stocks:
http://i.imgur.com/6FlyF.jpg

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5393

Grif
2012-01-23, 07:01 AM
Wow that's another incredible jump in fort value. :smallbiggrin:

So all of our militia are fully outfitted in steel now eh?

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-23, 08:47 AM
Good. OP's updated with the new save, and it look like... [checks list] Jeriah is up next. You here?

Luzahn
2012-01-23, 12:09 PM
I'm glad this has gotten back to functioning well.

I have so many "evil" plans to enact.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-23, 12:16 PM
Sent a PM to Jeriah. Hopefully we'll be moving on soon.

(Of course it's going well! This forum is made of win! If we couldn't get a simple game of DF going, I would be severely disappointed.)

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-23, 12:56 PM
Wow that's another incredible jump in fort value. :smallbiggrin:

So all of our militia are fully outfitted in steel now eh?

They've got some decent armor, but I don't think they're all clad in steel- the dwarven caravan didn't bring a whole lot of steel armor. I think much of it is bronze.

Grif
2012-01-23, 01:00 PM
They've got some decent armor, but I don't think they're all clad in steel- the dwarven caravan didn't bring a whole lot of steel armor. I think much of it is bronze.

So long it's metal armour, it should be fine. (Anything other than copper anyway. Bronze is perfectly adequate to chasing down goblins.) We can always set their uniforms to Steel later.

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-23, 01:07 PM
I just gave everybody the "metal armor" uniform. Actually now that I think about it a bit more, I'm not sure I was able to outfit the entire military. We've got like 20 dwarves in the militia who are mostly still novices (going from memory; I don't feel like looking it up.)

Luzahn
2012-01-23, 01:47 PM
Do you assign each soldier a specific weapon category? I always seemed to have the trouble of a master axedwarf grabbing the nearest adamantine mace.

Grif
2012-01-23, 01:50 PM
Do you assign each soldier a specific weapon category? I always seemed to have the trouble of a master axedwarf grabbing the nearest adamantine mace.

I personally assign them specific weapons.

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-23, 02:43 PM
No, I just gave them "Individual choice: Melee." Some of them have daggers, for instance. I didn't feel like messing with it.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-23, 06:43 PM
OK, Jeriah's out, so that means it is... [looks it up] Luzahn! You there?

Luzahn
2012-01-23, 06:48 PM
Yep. Should be able to get started tomorrow.

Hm, its been a while since I've played without a tileset.

billtodamax
2012-01-23, 07:55 PM
Dwarf me please, but don't put me in line - I have a terrible track record on these things.

Grif
2012-01-23, 09:20 PM
No, I just gave them "Individual choice: Melee." Some of them have daggers, for instance. I didn't feel like messing with it.

That runs into the problem of hammerdwarves equipping swords and vice versa. :smallannoyed: Which is why I personally inspect all their equipment.

Luzahn
2012-01-23, 10:03 PM
I'm planning to reform the military on my turn, in terms of equipment.

Also my secret vault project.

Luzahn
2012-01-24, 10:01 PM
Overseer's Log - 1st Granite, 555

Bah! Lousy, Goblin-infested hills. I barely made it here with me skin intact. Damn beasts got me whole escort killed, it's just me and one guard left. Luckily we've spotted me new assignment's walls.

Apparently the last overseer was deemed "treasonous" by them blue-bearded barons back in the Capitol. Something about the fool turning down an offer of baron-ship. I've been ordered ta oust the sod and get the place running smooth enough fer a "Noble o' the Empire"'s residence.

After I lock up that fool, it looks like we'll be needing a proper crafting hall. Metal production seems low, and we're not looking ta be in a state to fight off an invasion. Lousy Greenskins probably followed me.

(Billtodamax, you have been made into a goblin-fodder soldier. May you die with honor/find glorious victory.)

Luzahn's Log - 3rd Granite, 555

Bah, some fool peon name o' Goden Rithlutimush's gone off the deep end. She's blocking a clothesmaker's shop and won't leave.

Luzahn's Log - 27th Granite, 555
The lass is finally leaving the workshop, having made a mask worth 33640 dwarfbucks. At least we've got a master weaver now.

Turns out the previous overseer makes a nice keg of ale. I think I'll let em off with a warning for the whole "high treason" thing.

(How do I take screenshots? Would like to post the item page for that artifact.)

Grif
2012-01-25, 02:00 AM
1) Open Paint (or an equivalent program).
2) Use Alt+PrtScrn to take a screenshot of Dwarf Fortress only. (Make sure it is your active program.)
3) Paste into Paint and save.

There are automated programs to do this, but this is the basic principle.

billtodamax
2012-01-25, 05:15 AM
Pressing just Prnt Scrn will get you the image of what's on your screen, but you can then easily crop it - and indeed, I would suggest doing so.

Also - give me a hammer, please.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-25, 08:43 AM
Unless of course you find yourself using a Mac. In that case, follow one of these two options:
1) Realize that you've been using a Mac, bang your head against the nearest wall, chuck it, and buy yourself a decent computer.
2) Use the 'grab' app in the 'utilities' folder. (Not recommended unless option (1) does not work).

TaRix
2012-01-25, 10:42 AM
What, command-shift-three doesn't work anymore?

Gnoman
2012-01-25, 05:50 PM
If you have Microsoft Onenote, you can paste the screen in there and extract the text from it. You'll generally have to make spot edits when the ocr goofs, but it saves the hassles of saving the image and hosting it. (note, this is purely for text. It will not work for game screenshots, but is ideal for artifacts, forgotten beasts, dwarf descriptions, and the like. For example, here is the description of the forgotten beast from Spadoinkle's turn.

The Forgotten Beast Bothon has come! A huge
humanoid composed of chromite. It has two broad
arms and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly
spittle.

I'd suggest using this method where possible, as it cuts down on the loading for the thread.

Luzahn
2012-01-27, 05:14 PM
Luzahn's Journal, 11th Slate 555

Hrm, a bunch o' vagrants arrived today, looking fer shelter. Hopefully some of them will be useful.

It looks like a previous overseer has a deep mineshaft planned out. I've set the miners to digging it out.

Luzahn's Joutnal, 14th Slate 555

The last o' the slackers is inside. Nothing notable besides a trio of skilled marksdwarves, and a master surgeon.

Luzahn's Journal, 17th Felsite 555

Bunch o' Elves just arrived to trade. Hopefully the worthless lot's got some good animals.

Hm. They've got a Giant Tiger. Best not to antagonize them.

Luzahn's Journal, 23rd Felsite 555

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/FB1-1.jpg

Luzahn's Journal, 14th Hematite 555

We have a Giant Tiger now.

Luzahn's Journal, 22nd Hematite 555

Some poor dwarf name o' Adil's been possessed, and just blocked a Craftsdwarf's shop. Least we have a lot o' those.

Luzahn's Journal, 27th Hematite 55

As per me duties as Captain of the Guard, Asmel Kilrudbasen has been slain. I do need to have a jail built. It's a shame our furnace operator wasn't tougher.

Grif has been slain. Apparently he also broke some sort of law.

(I think I'm going to remove captain of the guard now. Tell me if you want redorfing or save deletion Grif.)

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-27, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to be able to procure magma, but I didn't really have time with everything else I wanted to do. The miners are going to be digging for a while considering it's like 150 Z-levels down... I'd advise making a burrow down there and having the metalworkers just live down there. If you're feeling ambitious you can make a deep shaft and throw down food and booze, otherwise having a planter/brewer live down there with them might not be a bad idea. You'll have to muddy some stone before you start planting stuff, though.

Also I just now noticed that in order to dig the original shaft for the well in the dining room someone sacrificed a dwarf.

Luzahn
2012-01-27, 09:36 PM
I usually do a remote outpost for lava, but i've been busy dealing with the whole justice-murder thing. It's next on my list after i finish the archer tower.

Gnoman
2012-01-27, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I was hoping to be able to procure magma, but I didn't really have time with everything else I wanted to do. The miners are going to be digging for a while considering it's like 150 Z-levels down... I'd advise making a burrow down there and having the metalworkers just live down there. If you're feeling ambitious you can make a deep shaft and throw down food and booze, otherwise having a planter/brewer live down there with them might not be a bad idea. You'll have to muddy some stone before you start planting stuff, though.

Also I just now noticed that in order to dig the original shaft for the well in the dining room someone sacrificed a dwarf.

Yep. Grabbed a usless migrant and gave him a crappy pick. Much faster that way.

Luzahn
2012-01-27, 09:47 PM
22nd Malachite, 555

Another wave of migrants arrived today. Six of the sods, and all useless. I suppose it's past time for a marksdwarf squad to be made.

Grif
2012-01-28, 01:54 AM
Grif has been slain. Apparently he also broke some sort of law.

(I think I'm going to remove captain of the guard now. Tell me if you want redorfing or save deletion Grif.)

!

:smalleek:

Whatever did I do?

(Well, I'll redorf when my turn next rolls around.)

Luzahn
2012-01-28, 10:08 AM
I made an archer squad for my dwarf, and apparently placed him into Captain of the Guard instead. He then decided to uphold justice by killing two dwarves assigned blame for a months-expired mayoral request. I have a jail now.

Grif
2012-01-28, 10:19 AM
Fun fact. I think the second squad on the military list was supposed to be the archer squad. I just reassigned them to melee weapons with leather armour during my turn.

Luzahn
2012-01-28, 10:23 AM
Luzahn's Journal, 6th Galena 555

Blast! Th' beast has been sighted near our cavern worksite. To arms, lads! Fer...wha's th' name o' this place?

Dispatching all squads to fight it. It has poison breath, this could get messy.

We lost ten good dwarves, and a dog, to the beast. I ended it meself, blasting it in the head with an iron bolt. Their lives will not be lost in vain, we've uncovered a magma tube in the second cavern, which should maintain our metalwork for a long while.

Notable Deaths: Billtodamax, and the Warmaster.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/DFBeast.jpg

9th Limestone, 555

Mmm...Crundle.

18th Limestone, 555

A soldier went on a despair-driven rampage today, killing one of our farmers. He has been put down. Apparently th' lad refused to go quietly.

(I have a jail set up for Justice, no idea why the soldier wasnt apprehended.)

In less tragic news, we have a War Giant Tiger now.

3rd Sandstone, 555

Olon Alathar, Peon withdraws from society...

She's claimed a leatherworks.

(I've had several construction projects going, which i plan to post at completion. If you'd like images of their progress now, ask. I'm holding off further play for feedback.)

Gnoman
2012-01-28, 02:11 PM
Luzahn's Journal, 6th Galena 555

(I have a jail set up for Justice, no idea why the soldier wasnt apprehended.)

Murder is usually a capital crime rather than one that requires imprisonment. Having a jail only prevents "beat them to a pulp with whatever weapon you have, because we don't have a place to tie them up for three days" scenarios.

That was a really bad forgotten beast, apparently. Was it the poison that did the killing, or the monster itself?

Luzahn
2012-01-28, 02:18 PM
The monster actually did the killing. Combination of tough scales and disorienting poison, I think. That's why my single archer was able to take it out.

Still, lava forges are worth it.

I suppose that is what happens when the military is filled with fodder. I usually like to select soldiers with positive traits only.

A wave of 14 just arrived, with about ten with great stats, including a master military trainer. Military re-established.

Luzahn
2012-01-28, 05:27 PM
Luzahn's Journal, 8th Sandstone 555

Fourteen migrants arrived today, most in peak physical condition. Looks like that old tactician leading them has been keeping them busy. They'll make good soldiers.

Luzahn's Journal, 15th Sandstone 55

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/Art3.jpg

Lovely. A useless leather shirt.

Luzahn's Journal, 18th Timber 555

Damnation! A squad o' goblins followed that last caravan. One of our soldiers in the field stumbled onto them. May he die with honor.

So far, those scum have slain three dwarves caught outside the walls. We are ready now.

Luckily, our merchant friends made mincemeat out of the few that made it past our traps

27th Moonstone 555

Huzzah! We've been named a Barony! Me job's nearly over, I'll be retirin' soon, after th' bunker network is done.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/bunker_big.jpg
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/bunker_top.jpg
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/bunker_under.jpg

1 - Area view. Middle structure is Fort

2 - Individual Bunker - Early enemy detection

3 - Bunker connection tunnel

14th Obsidian 555

Bah, a siege. I've got all the dwarves retreating inside. We may not weather this one.

Does anybody know where the lever to the bridge is? :smalleek:

Shpadoinkle
2012-01-28, 07:40 PM
Check the Notes. All the levers I installed are labeled that way. The levers that control the entry bridges are in the barracks, as I recall... at least according to the notes. I don't think I ever bothered to try them out.

Luzahn
2012-01-28, 07:49 PM
Final Notes: 6 recruits died fending off the Goblins. Worthless migrants. Steel armor < silver scourge. They will need to be buried, terrible time for a turn to end. I think I have the highest deathcount.

The Baron's quarters are still incomplete, and the bunker chain could always use more additions. F2 leads to the lavaworks.

Additions below

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/Baronhouse.jpg
The Baron's Househttp://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/ballisa.jpg
Ballista addition - Ammo behind, should be restocked. http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/understore.jpg
Lava Forge storerooms. All bars have been moved down to the lava. http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/underpasture.jpg
Underground Pasture. Located below the river.
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/underforge.jpg
Lava Forge, built over a magma tube at -50. F2 reaches this level. Also contains exit into cavern level 2.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/tower_b.jpghttp://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/tower_t.jpg
Archery Tower. Located in from of the fort's entrance. http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/spare_wkrm.jpg
Spare workroom. http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q609/Luzahn/ctg_mansion.jpg
My (Guard Captain)'s mansion.

Save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5410

First time uploading a DF file. Tell me if it doesn't work.

Grif
2012-01-28, 10:59 PM
The levers to the bridge are in the meeting hall in the center. I believe I tagged them already? :smallconfused:

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-28, 11:13 PM
Right. OP's updated. I believe it is Moranica's turn. You there?

Luzahn
2012-01-28, 11:15 PM
We have a main hall?

Also, are we signing up for second shifts yet? I want to see if i can beat my death toll.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-28, 11:50 PM
Let's hold off on the second shift just a bit longer, K?

Grif
2012-01-29, 12:00 AM
We have a main hall?

Also, are we signing up for second shifts yet? I want to see if i can beat my death toll.

The first, smaller meeting hall in the junction of the main level I believe. Unless you guys freed the room on account of too much partyin' going on.

Luzahn
2012-01-29, 12:31 PM
Any idea if metal armor is detrimental to a marksdwarf?

Grif
2012-01-29, 12:49 PM
Any idea if metal armor is detrimental to a marksdwarf?

Not at all. But that metal armour would be better used on disposable melee squads who would be in the thick of the fighting instead of them archers pinging away from the safety of fortifications. (Unless you're facing a goblin master archer. Then metal armour is a must.)

Luzahn
2012-01-29, 12:54 PM
Makes sense, but I was just thinking that most forts, like ours, have metal in excess.

Grif
2012-01-29, 01:54 PM
Makes sense, but I was just thinking that most forts, like ours, have metal in excess.

Yeah, but our fuel isn't unlimited as of yet. (With the magma tube, that would change considerably.)

Luzahn
2012-01-29, 02:48 PM
Well, by the end of my turn i had set up a few forges and smelters on top of the magma tube. Did you see the screenshots in my last post?

Grif
2012-01-29, 02:59 PM
Well, by the end of my turn i had set up a few forges and smelters on top of the magma tube. Did you see the screenshots in my last post?

I did. I was talking about prior to our discovery of the magma tubes. :smalltongue: Now it's a cinch to armour everything in steel.

Luzahn
2012-01-30, 04:37 PM
Bump - Need to let next up know they are able to start.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-30, 05:41 PM
KK, I'll PM Moranica.

Luzahn
2012-01-31, 08:36 PM
What's the time for delay we had decided on? Sorry if it seem like I'm pestering, I just don't want it to die so easily.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-01-31, 08:41 PM
Yeah, i got a PM back from Moranica. They will start soon.

Moranica
2012-02-01, 05:57 PM
Will have to wait till weekend. That ok?

Luzahn
2012-02-02, 11:56 PM
I do hope the fort remembers me as the creator of Justice. I also hope it downplays my brutal murders of mandate-breakers.

Moranica
2012-02-03, 03:17 PM
Downloading.... so slow ..... new overseer might just be hyperactive, or really relaxed. :smallbiggrin:

Moranica
2012-02-04, 04:04 PM
Problems!! I've tried several games, but after several minutes it crashes... :smallfurious: ,while my pc should be able to handle this easily.

So passing on my turn to the next, while I bash/fix my cpu.

Luzahn
2012-02-04, 06:23 PM
It's not a problem with the save, is it? This was my first time uploading one. You could try editing your init file to turn temperature and weather off, that generally improves performance. Dwarf fortress is deceptively hard on the system.

Moranica
2012-02-04, 06:35 PM
Nope, it's not the save, I tried running one of my own as well. No good. :smallfrown:

Grif
2012-02-04, 11:19 PM
Lessee. Pinging ReluctantReaper then.

Luzahn
2012-02-06, 11:31 PM
Maybe it would be best to redo this next release. It's supposedly coming out this month, and it would probably interest people enough to keep a game going.

MonarchAnarch
2012-02-11, 10:48 AM
Happen to know what all will be added with the release?

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-11, 11:42 AM
Dunno. Go look at the wiki.

So where are we? Whose turn is it? Technical difficulties?

Aidan305
2012-02-11, 02:07 PM
Happen to know what all will be added with the release?

Mostly an adventure mode release furthering the Caravan Arc. Also Vampires, Mummys, Gods, Curses, Necromancers, Sewers, Dungeons and Therianthropes.

Gnoman
2012-02-11, 11:13 PM
One of the df forumites compiled this list from the devlogs.
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1u8jibE1TV7BAwAI2b4TzRkWFlBboLiXMrVBhYmDYPh I&pli=1

MonarchAnarch
2012-02-13, 07:35 AM
thanks guys, guess he got the raise dead feature to work. I rather like that every single organ raised as its own, hope Toady hung onto that code for a bizarre spell. :P

Luzahn
2012-02-15, 10:18 AM
It lives.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-15, 11:01 AM
Speaking of living, this thread is barely clinging to life. Perhaps we could figure out where we are in game terms? Are we waiting for the next version? Are we waiting on a particular player? What exactly is going on?

Wookieetank
2012-02-16, 01:16 PM
Dunno since I'm not participating in the fort. :/

On the side of keeping the thread alive however:
So i think I just lost my 2nd fort last night to a forgotten beast turned tantrum spiral (1st fort was lost to starvation). Apparently I got migrants crazy fast, because I never saw any goblins before the forgotten beast decided to come party in my unprotected fort. I had a draw bridge over what I thought was a pit, but once I put it up, there was apparently a slope down from the tile above the base tile of the bridge. So needless to say, the beasty got into my fort and started eating things (mainly critters so far, only lost about 8 dwarfs vs. a boatload and a half of critters). Now everyone is madly running around carrying items and I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to stop the madness. Is it worth waiting around to watch the tantrum spiral play out or should I just abandon and move onto the next round of Fun?

Grif
2012-02-16, 01:42 PM
Speaking of living, this thread is barely clinging to life. Perhaps we could figure out where we are in game terms? Are we waiting for the next version? Are we waiting on a particular player? What exactly is going on?

Currently we are waiting for another player. ReluctantReaper I believe.

The main problems I noticed with all these succession threads is that a lot of players tend to show interest when it first started, and then drop off the grid as the game progresses. Not only it kills the mood, it kills off the interest the active players has in the game.

At any rate, I'd vote for a restart of this fort in the new version. Possibly with the same worldgen if possible.

Gnoman
2012-02-16, 04:45 PM
Can't do same worldgen all that well because there's such huge differences. I do have a pretty god world generated at the moment that I've been adventuring in. I can throw up a new thread and start a new fort in that world, if that's acceptable to everyone. Blind forts are always Fun.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-02-29, 10:55 PM
Alright, I just ran into my more DF obsessed friend and he tells me the update is out. How shall we proceed? Start with the second turns or continue down the list? Start a new fort, or is the old one compatible?

Shpadoinkle
2012-03-01, 12:39 AM
Probably we should start a new game using the latest version. No giant mosquito swarms or immigration waves consisting of 2 adults and 19 kids. While those are Fun, they're the gamebreaking kind of Fun that isn't conducive to a successful (for a given value of" successful") succession fort.

Grif
2012-03-01, 05:34 PM
Probably we should start a new game using the latest version. No giant mosquito swarms or immigration waves consisting of 2 adults and 19 kids. While those are Fun, they're the gamebreaking kind of Fun that isn't conducive to a successful (for a given value of" successful") succession fort.

I would wait for more bug fixes to come in first before actually starting a succession fort of any kind. At least until Toady indicated that he is now done with bug fixes and moving on to implementing a new feature.

Gnoman
2012-03-01, 05:38 PM
Nah. I'd simply start one now. There's not many bugs that are all that bad, mostly crashes that are now fixed, and he's really unlikely to break compatibility. I'll start a new thread and pick a few possible sites in my 1050-year old 31.04 world in a little bit.

Luzahn
2012-03-01, 06:42 PM
I'd like to recommend we embark with a tower in range. Zombie invasions liven things up.

Gnoman
2012-03-01, 07:00 PM
I've found four promising sites. Might as well use this thread for discussion on that.

Site 1

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2068014/site1.png

Site 2

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2068014/site2.png

Site 3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2068014/site3.png

All Gonna Die

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2068014/Allgonnadie.png

2 and 3 have two towers in range. 1 and All Gonna Die have one.

Luzahn
2012-03-01, 08:23 PM
Casting my vote for 2. Savage is always more amusing.

Aidan305
2012-03-01, 08:39 PM
What are the neighbours like on the four sites?

Gnoman
2012-03-01, 09:02 PM
All sites have access to all four races, plus the mentioned towers. Personally, I like number 2.

Aidan305
2012-03-01, 09:15 PM
Two does look Fun.

Luzahn
2012-03-01, 09:20 PM
Any chance we could shift it over to that stream? Or is that area a different biome?

Gnoman
2012-03-01, 09:35 PM
That's doable. However, for some reason goblins don't seem to be availible there. I was sure I saw them when I checked before. Of course, there's always the humans to start a fight with.

Grif
2012-03-01, 10:17 PM
I'll vote two, though I might not be available to take a turn.

Luzahn
2012-03-01, 10:43 PM
Well, if you can manipulate it into goblins, its worth losing the stream. Or do you mean they weren't there initially?

Gnoman
2012-03-01, 10:58 PM
They doin't seem to be on that island, I must have mistaken the second tower as the goblin civ initially. I could try doing some bringbuilding with multiple embarks, but I'm not even sure that would work.

Luzahn
2012-03-01, 11:02 PM
Hm. I would prefer goblins, but it's up to everybody else. If we could find a savage, goblin, tower place, that would be preferable for me.

Sen isSaqqara
2012-03-07, 02:02 PM
Made a sort of jokes challenge map. If you like challenge, and don't mind dropping straight into the action, give it a try.
An Elegant and Finely Crafted Link (http://www.mediafire.com/?0ef15tz5wsy2845)

Wookieetank
2012-03-08, 08:56 AM
An Elegant and Finely Crafted Link (http://www.mediafire.com/?0ef15tz5wsy2845)

From a more civilized age. :smallwink:

Sen isSaqqara
2012-03-08, 12:03 PM
Not quite the reference I was going for, but that works too.

Wookieetank
2012-03-09, 09:01 AM
I figured, but my inner Star Wars geek couldn't help himself :smallsmile: