PDA

View Full Version : Fukimi-Bari; Surprise killer?

Campbellk8105
2011-12-14, 12:10 AM
So, I was read through Arms & Equipment guide, and again the Fukimi-Bari stuck out at me. I liked the idea of these little hidden darts to surprise enemies with. Sure they only do 1 damage and you cant add your strength to it but, there are a few things I was wondering.

First off, in the description it says you can spit up to 3 darts per attack at the same enemy. Does that mean up to three as your full attack action, or 3 per attack? If 3 per attack, a level 20 fighter that used these would be able to shoot/spit 12 in a round.

Second. Since it says in the description they are used for surprise attacks. Does this mean that a rogue using these, could apply his sneak attack damage to them if shot at a flat-footed enemy? If so, at level 20 a base rogue could shoot/spit 9 of them in a round. If the rogue can apply his sneak attack damage to them, if they all hit, that would total up to be 9 darts, 10d6 sneak attack each, for a total of 90d6+9.

Third. This stems off the previous question, could you use it with a scouts skirmish damage.

Fourth and final. How would you use them while wielding other weapons? Would you use them in conjunction with your other attacks normally, would you need TWF (possible multi-attack maybe?), or can you make no other attacks if using them?

I knew this would be the best place to ask and receive the best quality input. Thank you everyone for your replies.

AspectOfNihil
2011-12-14, 02:13 AM
I'd suscribe to the three-per-attack school of thought, so yes with >+16 BAB you could get 12 attacks with them.
If it wasn't for the fact you had to hold them in your mouth, they'd be perfect for poison.

On the sneak attack/skirmish deal. Yes, I'd say you'd get sneak attack, once per ATTACK, not dart. Standard procedure with these things is you only get precision based damage on the first arrow/bolt/dart in any grouping. See manyshot and co.

Logic dictates that merely spitting darts at your enemy wouldn't incur any TWF penalties. But then, logic dictates fighting with darts in your mouth is kinda a silly thing to do. Can't really help you RAW wise though, sorry.

Flickerdart
2011-12-14, 02:51 AM
1: Yes, you shoot 3 with one attack. However, that also means one attack roll, so you're not getting extra precision dice.

2: They're a weapon attack, so yes, everything that would apply with a normal weapon applies to these. However, see above regarding how many dice you actually get.

3: See #2.

4: You can use them interchangeably with your other attacks without suffering TWF penalties. For instance, if you had +6 BAB, you could stab your opponent with a dagger at +6, and then spit some fukumi-bari at him at +1.

Alleine
2011-12-14, 03:30 AM
All I can think of is an adventurer walking around, cheeks bulging out with the sheer number of darts in his mouth, and acting like everything is normal. The mental picture as any palace guards give him an incredulous look is hilarious :smallbiggrin:

Feytalist
2011-12-14, 03:35 AM
They actually work fine with poison. Just make sure it's an injury poison, not ingest or contact poison. It's silly, but it's RAW legal.

Flickerdart
2011-12-14, 03:38 AM
All I can think of is an adventurer walking around, cheeks bulging out with the sheer number of darts in his mouth, and acting like everything is normal. The mental picture as any palace guards give him an incredulous look is hilarious :smallbiggrin:
That's why you play a Buomman, they never talk anyway so it doesn't look suspicious. Or play a telepathic creature - Pseudodragon is especially appropriate, since you can pretend your needles are a breath weapon.

Big Fau
2011-12-14, 10:31 AM

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/3/33/Gentlemen.jpg/618px-Gentlemen.jpg

Like that?

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-12-14, 01:03 PM
They actually work fine with poison. Just make sure it's an injury poison, not ingest or contact poison. It's silly, but it's RAW legal.

Not silly at all. Plenty of injury poisons are perfectly safe if you swallow them-- rattlesnake venom is commonly used as a home remedy. Biggest issue is that most any injury poison that you can safely ingest is going to be broken down by contact with saliva...

Real Sorceror
2011-12-14, 01:11 PM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w212/BilgeXA/e70d7631.gif

Big Fau
2011-12-14, 01:28 PM
Real Sorcerer, you have been ninja'ed.

Real Sorceror
2011-12-14, 01:37 PM
Real Sorcerer, you have been ninja'ed.
Curses! Well, at least I wasn't the only one who immediately thought of that.

AspectOfNihil
2011-12-14, 06:34 PM
I feel like there's a brutally effective assassin lurking somewhere around this weapon, but I just can't quite put my finger on it.

Mosquito's Bite would be good, but you'd need to snipe attack (though you can use a crowd as cover) and you'd need to find some way to delay the effects of the poison.

Hmm... I guess I know what I'm doing for the next hour or so :smallsmile:

I was unaware of the Rattlesnake thing, cheers mate, always good to learn more. You'd have to be careful what venoms you used though, too many different things toxic to people in different ways, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that sort of thing unless I was a skilled (al)chemist.

The metabolising of the poison by saliva would be a problem though, but it feels like there is a way to counter that, perhaps having the poison stored in the fragile tip of the needle?

Mantarni
2011-12-14, 06:39 PM
Now I'm wondering if its feasible to store a bag of holding in your cheeks.

....Even better, is it possible to remove one of the pockets from a belt of many pockets? Because that responds to the owners intentions to take something out automatically.

Feytalist
2011-12-15, 04:56 AM
Not silly at all. Plenty of injury poisons are perfectly safe if you swallow them-- rattlesnake venom is commonly used as a home remedy. Biggest issue is that most any injury poison that you can safely ingest is going to be broken down by contact with saliva...

I didn't actually know that. Cool.

....Even better, is it possible to remove one of the pockets from a belt of many pockets? Because that responds to the owners intentions to take something out automatically.

I'm thinking some sort of mouth graft similar to a quiver of holding.

Real Sorceror
2011-12-15, 09:13 AM
Awakened Chipmunk, anyone? :smallamused:

JoeYounger
2011-12-15, 04:46 PM
Awakened Chipmunk, anyone? :smallamused:

this... +1

Alleine
2011-12-15, 05:09 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/3/33/Gentlemen.jpg/618px-Gentlemen.jpg

Like that?

Hehehe, yeah pretty much what I was imagining. After all, you don't want to run out of darts mid-combat do you?

SPoilaaja
2011-12-15, 05:15 PM
Factotum builds could be interested in these with their int to damage.

Campbellk8105
2011-12-15, 05:18 PM
I feel like there's a brutally effective assassin lurking somewhere around this weapon, but I just can't quite put my finger on it.

Mosquito's Bite would be good, but you'd need to snipe attack (though you can use a crowd as cover) and you'd need to find some way to delay the effects of the poison.

Hmm... I guess I know what I'm doing for the next hour or so :smallsmile:

That's what I was looking for. It seems to me that the mouth darts would actually be a decent surprise weapon since its easily concealable and all.

As for the bag of holding/portable hole in your mouth, it'd be awfully unfortunate to flip the bag upside and have that many mouth darts pour out.

And yes, as far as I'm aware, most venom's are safe to actually drink (Do not try it) since it has to get into your bloodstream for it to harm you. Poison, on the other hand, is toxic to you no matter how it gets to you via blood or ingestion.

Zale
2011-12-15, 05:19 PM
Can you make the Returning Fukimi-Bari?

What an interesting mental image. How would you catch them?

Campbellk8105
2011-12-15, 05:21 PM
Can you make the Returning Fukimi-Bari?

What an interesting mental image. How would you catch them?

Painfully, that's how.

Factotum builds could be interested in these with their int to damage.

That would be interesting. You can't add your strength damage, but it doesnt say you can't add your int.

Zale
2011-12-15, 05:38 PM
Now I'm imagining an anthropomorphic frog catching returning darts with his tongue...