PDA

View Full Version : WoD Vampire Vitae

LemuneSD
2011-12-14, 01:20 AM
I haven't played Vampire in a very long time. Me and some friends were discussing the game, and the question of what vampire Vitae would look like came up.

All of us seem to think it as very similar in visual appearance and properties to regular human blood, but can't find it anywhere in the books as being actually described as such, only that it is supernatural in nature. Any help (source) would be greatly appreciated!

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-14, 02:21 AM
Masquerade or Requiem? :smallconfused:

In Requiem, it's pretty clear that whatever stasis the vampiric body is kept in doesn't apply to Vitae once it's no longer in a Kindred's system, very quickly turning into a sticky mess of long-dead blood from several sources.

Venetian Mask
2011-12-14, 02:33 AM
If it's Masquerade it'll probably be a case of storyteller-fiat as I don't recal reading any rulings about how vitae looks. I don't recall it ever coming up in a game I played in though.

EDIT: Logically though I'd say Requiems ruling makes sense, does Requiem factor in the time the Vitae has been in the Vampires body though? (I'm just assuming that Vitae from a recently fed vampire would look less like old blood and more like fresh blood...)

TheCountAlucard
2011-12-14, 03:04 AM
If it's Masquerade it'll probably be a case of storyteller-fiat as I don't recal reading any rulings about how vitae looks. I don't recall it ever coming up in a game I played in though.Likely up to the ST; at least, I never saw anything saying one way or the other...

Logically though I'd say Requiems ruling makes sense, does Requiem factor in the time the Vitae has been in the Vampires body though?I don't believe it specifically takes it into account, but the individual blood cells would be in varying states of decay... :smallconfused:

I'm just assuming that Vitae from a recently fed vampire would look less like old blood and more like fresh blood...When you start mixing people's blood, and mixing old blood with new, the fact that some of it is fresh probably won't make much difference; it's still going to be a clotted something awful. :smallyuk:

Cirrylius
2011-12-14, 09:27 AM
IIRC there was an article about the scientific properties and characteristics of vitae in a White Wolf magazine a looooong time ago, back during 2nd ed. The only things I can remember is that it's darker, since it's not oxygenated, and for some reason there are no impurities in the plasma, so if you shine a light through it (just the separated plasma) instead of being dirty yellow it's gold.

LemuneSD
2011-12-14, 12:56 PM
Those are all very interesting notions to think about :smallsmile:

I talked it over with my friends, and the thought of the blood being darkened and brackish, maybe even a little bit thicker seems to be accepted more readily. The plasma comment is interesting, however, and may have to surface in a scientific campaign (probably crossover to Mage or Werewolf)!

Cirrylius
2011-12-14, 08:49 PM
You're right; it would be thicker too, because it's room temperature.