PDA

View Full Version : The undead sea captain

leegi0n
2011-12-14, 08:52 AM
Any ideas for a build regarding a cursed undead sea captain? Very good with the flintlock/carronade, etc., but also a TWF of sorts.

I'm thinking a collector of souls. Someone who loves and hates the crew he has adopted, post mortem.

Like a really cool, evil version of Barbosa.
hmmmm.....

GodGoblin
2011-12-14, 09:17 AM
I had an idea for a pirate captain to use as a villain in my games, was a Mind Flayer dread pirate on a plane hopping ship full of different planar ruffians making up his crew, the build idea was Psychic Warrior but some other ideas I was throwing around were Duckblade/Swashbuckler or even Warblade.

For your guy how about a Deathmaster? With his undead hoard/crew?

Edit: Just a couple of thoughts- he could raise the crew of his enemies to fight for him or he recruits in the usual way but requires that all members go through the 'initiation'.

leegi0n
2011-12-14, 09:35 AM
I had an idea for a pirate captain to use as a villain in my games, was a Mind Flayer dread pirate on a plane hopping ship full of different planar ruffians making up his crew, the build idea was Psychic Warrior but some other ideas I was throwing around were Duckblade/Swashbuckler or even Warblade.

For your guy how about a Deathmaster? With his undead hoard/crew?

Edit: Just a couple of thoughts- he could raise the crew of his enemies to fight for him or he recruits in the usual way but requires that all members go through the 'initiation'.

I'm right with you as far as the raising fallen enemies into his service. Or, how about someone who intercepts random souls on their way to the afterlife? How would that translate in the D&D world?

GodGoblin
2011-12-14, 11:08 AM
Now that sounds cool, maybe he rides through the Astral plane (Or whatever plane the souls pass through) collecting the souls of the damned in a big metaphorical butterfly net?

leegi0n
2011-12-14, 11:38 AM
That's the thing....I want him to be cursed to intercept random souls. He has no choice, they just occasionally end up on his ship as intelligent, corporeal undead (looking as they did in life) and he has to captain and command them. The good/bad bit of irony in his curse is that he is made to stay in a certain part of the world (a bay, for example), unless one of these intercepted souls abandons him and his crew. In that case, he can roam (in search of the defector), until they are caught or destroyed, but he must actively seek them out. Once they are caught or destroyed, he must return to his bay or whatever, until the next incident.

I'm thinking of naming his ship Lady Limbo.

Daftendirekt
2011-12-14, 11:59 AM
This is a weird mix of Barbossa and Davy Jones...

hamishspence
2011-12-14, 06:01 PM
Sounds a little like Captain Vanghiest of the Shadewraith, from Warhammer's Dreadfleet game. The ship certainly looks more undead-looking than either the Black Pearl or the Flying Dutchman- and can actually fly.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=18500010a

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-14, 06:02 PM
sort of like Cervantes from Soul Calibur II. sweet!

Bastian Weaver
2011-12-14, 06:05 PM
Reminds me of "Tales of the Black Freighter" from Watchmen.

kardar233
2011-12-14, 07:03 PM
Take cues from Captain Four Fingers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10609622&postcount=104).