PDA

View Full Version : A daunting task in character creation. (Complete with TL;DR)

NOhara24
2011-12-14, 11:51 AM
Alright, here's my situation.

My RKV is going to take the leadership feat. Wonderful. Of course, that means he gets a cohort. I wrote out his backstory beforehand and the character I envisioned becoming his cohort is a sorcerer. This works because we don't have any arcane spellcasters in the party, and choosing a sorcerer over a wizard won't have the rest of the party saying "OH GOD WHY?!" But here's my issue, I think our party is a bit...full?

Myself: Paladin 4/Crusader 2/RKV 5 (Tank, obviously.)

Druid 7/Planar Shepard 4 (Does whatever he wants.)

Cleric 7/Sovereign Speaker 4 (Primary Damage Dealer by way of DMM shenanigans)

Vow of Peace Cleric 11 (Dedicated healer/buffer.)

Rogue X/Invisible Blade X

Monk/I-Monk (He tries. Has some unique abilities that have come in handy.)

Alright, here's my issue, within the situation that I mentioned. Our party is already nigh-unstoppable. That's not to say that our DM has been throwing weak monsters at us, we've all just got REALLY SOLID builds and are experienced roleplayers. As much as I want to take the leadership feat and build a mailman sorcerer (because it's awesome.) I really don't think that we have room for it. I think it would just make us way too powerful as a party. Between that and we've already got six people. Adding a seventh would be rather excessive. Granted, she IS a cohort, so she would always be two levels behind us, but I still think it would be too much. So the mailman sorcerer is out, unfortunately.

I don't want to build a sorcerer that is below the optimization level of the party (High:Cheese is almost palpable, but we've got no arcane spellcasters and we're still only level 11. Blatantly cheesy stuff has already been banned.) but at the same time, I don't want to have my RKV's cohort outshine the party.

I thought a battlefield control sort of build would be a good fit, since all we have is damage dealing types. (Our battles typically follow the "blunt force", playstyle. "Is it dead? No? Hit it again.") but the more I looked into the guides for sorcerers, the more I got lost.

TL;DR

I need a well-optimized battlefield control sorcerer build that's still capable of a few tricks in a hail-mary situation. The Piranha Death Trap would be a nice failsafe. Can anyone help me out?

skycycle blues
2011-12-14, 11:54 AM
As far as I can tell from everything I've heard about Planar Shepherd, no matter what you do with this Sorcerer, it won't be cheesier than that.

Build a Mailman, but if it somehow seems to outshine the rest of the party, just dial her back a bit.

Flickerdart
2011-12-14, 12:18 PM
Kobold is the race of choice, obviously; you can negate the level disadvantage that way. Make sure to take the rapid metamagic stuff, and then use (Greater) Arcane Spellsurge and a quickened version of the same to drop lots of spells at once.

NOhara24
2011-12-14, 12:39 PM
As far as I can tell from everything I've heard about Planar Shepherd, no matter what you do with this Sorcerer, it won't be cheesier than that.

Our DM came up with a pretty useful solution for our PS character. He bound him to a homebrew plane. That way he doesn't get ten actions per round or anything else super-broken. The DM has pretty direct control over his power level, which is nice because it keeps him from winning fights by himself.

Kobold is the race of choice, obviously; you can negate the level disadvantage that way. Make sure to take the rapid metamagic stuff, and then use (Greater) Arcane Spellsurge and a quickened version of the same to drop lots of spells at once.

As soon as my DM hears "Kobold Sorcerer":smallfurious: his Pun-Pun related PTSD is going to kick in and he'll tear my head off.

But you all think a mailman wouldn't be too bad then? I won't make her a kobold, but I think a less-perfect race choice, coupled with the two levels behind wouldn't make it too bad based off of what you all are saying.

Flickerdart
2011-12-14, 01:00 PM
Pun-Pun was never a Sorcerer, though. First Psion, then Wizard/Divine Minion, then Paladin, but never Sorcerer.

NOhara24
2011-12-14, 01:20 PM
Pun-Pun was never a Sorcerer, though. First Psion, then Wizard/Divine Minion, then Paladin, but never Sorcerer.

I never said my DM was a sane one.

Coidzor
2011-12-14, 10:13 PM
As soon as my DM hears "Kobold Sorcerer":smallfurious: his Pun-Pun related PTSD is going to kick in and he'll tear my head off.

What? How wrong has he been doing it that he's had anything to do with Pun-Pun and would associate it with sorcerers? :smallconfused: