PDA

View Full Version : Using my weight to kill

SoliaTera
2011-12-14, 01:22 PM
ive recenlty made a character who has taken the willing obese feat and uses enlarge person to increase his weight and fall on people to do damage but my question is simple seeing as im just falling on people and doing damage do i need to make an attack roll to hit?

Big Fau
2011-12-14, 01:25 PM
No, you use the Falling Object rules.

Darrin
2011-12-14, 01:26 PM
ive recenlty made a character who has taken the willing obese feat and uses enlarge person to increase his weight and fall on people to do damage but my question is simple seeing as im just falling on people and doing damage do i need to make an attack roll to hit?

In the Core rules? No, although this is subject to DM interpretation.

If your DM has access to Heroes of Battle and the Aerial Bombardment rules, then yes. You make an attack roll to target a particular square, and anyone within the affected area can make a Ref save DC 15 to negate.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-14, 03:06 PM
Yes, you need to roll to hit. The only automatic hits in D&D are special full-round actions: to hit an object, and a coup de grace. Otherwise the PCs would all die from big flying things dropping rocks. :smallwink:

Socratov
2011-12-14, 03:33 PM
Yes, you need to roll to hit. The only automatic hits in D&D are special full-round actions: to hit an object, and a coup de grace. Otherwise the PCs would all die from big flying things dropping rocks. :smallwink:

exception to the rule: DM's, they autohit on falling objects :smallamused:

ericgrau
2011-12-14, 07:09 PM
I'd use a dragon's crush attack as a baseline rather than rules meant for stones. And as it happens stones tend to have a lower chance of hitting than most PCs' range attacks. The damage you get using object rules is way higher. Soon everyone will be one shotting foes Mario style (why do you think he's so fat and has such a high jump check...).

You could argue that obese + weights/etc. would bump you up a size category for the purpose of crushing.

sreservoir
2011-12-14, 07:46 PM
In the Core rules? No, although this is subject to DM interpretation.

If your DM has access to Heroes of Battle and the Aerial Bombardment rules, then yes. You make an attack roll to target a particular square, and anyone within the affected area can make a Ref save DC 15 to negate.

this is something to keep in mind if you want to hit creatures with evasion with the moon. or the sun.

jackattack
2011-12-14, 07:57 PM
This is covered in the core rules, if you consider that falling on someone (from a standing position) is basically the same as tackling them.

A simple "grapple" check should suffice, and gives you a +5 bonus against the same target in subsequent rounds, and allows you to "pin" an opponent.

Remember to factor in any penalties or bonuses for attacking targets in a smaller size category.

SoliaTera
2011-12-15, 12:10 AM
This is covered in the core rules, if you consider that falling on someone (from a standing position) is basically the same as tackling them.

A simple "grapple" check should suffice, and gives you a +5 bonus against the same target in subsequent rounds, and allows you to "pin" an opponent.

Remember to factor in any penalties or bonuses for attacking targets in a smaller size category.

so if im just using Benign Transposition and just belly flapping on someone its considered a "grapple"?

Tokuhara
2011-12-15, 12:38 AM
so if im just using Benign Transposition and just belly flapping on someone its considered a "grapple"?

So lemmie invision this:

Wizard's bat familiar flies above the target

Wizard casts Benign Transposition on you and shares it with his bat

You fall on unsuspecting BBEG

???

Profit!

Curmudgeon
2011-12-15, 02:46 AM
Wizard's bat familiar flies above the target

Wizard casts Benign Transposition on you and shares it with his bat

You fall
Yes.

on unsuspecting BBEG
Probably not.

Heroes of Battle specifies that you can avoid a falling object with a DC 15 Reflex save; see page 68. If you've only got the DMG the collapsing ceiling trap is a pretty good parallel for random dropping stuff, and you can avoid damage from that with the same DC 15 Reflex save; see page 66.

Any BBEG who can't make a DC 15 Reflex save probably deserves to die.

Tokuhara
2011-12-15, 03:53 AM
Yes.

Probably not.

Heroes of Battle specifies that you can avoid a falling object with a DC 15 Reflex save; see page 68. If you've only got the DMG the collapsing ceiling trap is a pretty good parallel for random dropping stuff, and you can avoid damage from that with the same DC 15 Reflex save; see page 66.

Any BBEG who can't make a DC 15 Reflex save probably deserves to die.

Unless the dice hate on the DM

Gwendol
2011-12-15, 04:46 AM
There's a feat in Savage Species to allow crushing opponents like a dragon could. I believe it requires Huge size though.

Keegan__D
2011-12-15, 06:41 AM
The flaw requires small size. This means, as a max weight gnome (fattest core), you're 88lbs. With Enlarge Person up, this goes to 704, dealing 3d6/10ft. So, you've got to play a gnome, use two spells, and hope the target can't make a DC 15 reflex save. Even if you do hit, you're taking 1d6/10ft as well.

Darrin
2011-12-15, 08:40 AM
The flaw requires small size. This means, as a max weight gnome (fattest core), you're 88lbs. With Enlarge Person up, this goes to 704, dealing 3d6/10ft. So, you've got to play a gnome, use two spells, and hope the target can't make a DC 15 reflex save. Even if you do hit, you're taking 1d6/10ft as well.

Sinfire_Titan's original idea (4500 lbs of stupid (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19863510/4500_lbs._of_Stupid?pg=1)) was a warforged with the adamantine body feat. Once you add expansion (doubling size actually cubes your weight, so x8), it isn't all that hard to get up to 4000 lbs.

jackattack
2011-12-15, 09:26 PM
If you are falling on targets from a height, I'd go with the target avoiding your character just as they would any other falling object -- unless you've got some kind of control over where you hit, you might actually need to use the rules for thrown objects.