PDA

View Full Version : Assistance Determining an Encounter Level [3.x]

Incriptus
2011-12-14, 02:35 PM
So I've been stalking y'all for a while, and finally got around to registering. So this will be my first post. This will one will most likely be subjective as I don't think there are any RAW response to this particular question/request for advice.

One of my players is seriously comptemplating trying to rob a magic shop now that the owner is dead. He's usually a smart player but I'm afraid he's blinded by treasure lust(tm) and isn't going to give serious considerations as to what defenses may still be there.

Anyways, this particular magic shop is well stocked. There primary defense is an Iron Golem. If the shop is closed, and the password is not spoken with in one round of it becoming aware of a trespasser, it pulls a lever.

When that lever is pulled a mechanical trap is activated, locking down the doors & windows . . . and activating the anti-magic field throughout the entire building.

I seriously doubt he's going to be able to defeat an Iron Golem in a locked down Anti-Magic Zone. . . But if he suprises me

What Challange Rating would you assign, given the situation, for defeating the Golem?
How much would you give should he manage a daring escape?
How much should I award if he researches the situation and realizes he's in over his head?

Aegis013
2011-12-14, 02:48 PM
I'd say encounter level 14.
If I were the shop owner rather than using AMF's I'd use contingent walls of force or something similar to block mundane exits and use a weirdstone or dimensional lock or similar effect to block teleportation. Then I would have a bundle of debuffing wands contingent animate object'd so you'd have to deal with the construct bruiser while a bunch of flying loot you want to steal (rather than break) are shooting Rays of Exhaust, Enervation, and other debuffs at you.

I would definitely have a contingent sending alert someone who could get the guards (or the captain of the guard depending on how influential the shop was) to come collect the thief.

Because if I was asleep in my shop, I would want the situation to be taken care of, hopefully without waking me up.

EDIT: for some reason I was looking at Shield Guardian instead of Iron Golem. adjusted the encounter level suggestion accordingly

Yora
2011-12-14, 02:53 PM
As it is, the moment he has a chance to realize that going in is not a good idea, he's already forced to destroy an iron golem without any magic or die.

Iron Golem is CR 13. He loses the magical effects of all his equipment and has no chance to escape. I'd say EL 16 seems appropriate.
Since it's a fight he probably can't win, I'd award full XP for making a succesful escape.
If he decides not to enter the building at all, then he'll get no XP. He would like to get to something hard to reach, but decides not to give it a try. So no XP.

However, I advice against doing it that way. Killing a player without him having a chance to notice that he's outmatched and retread would be very bad form. It's a bit like "You're character is now dead, because I'm in the mood for it right now".

Aegis013
2011-12-14, 02:57 PM
However, I advice against doing it that way. Killing a player without him having a chance to notice that he's outmatched and retread would be very bad form. It's a bit like "You're character is now dead, because I'm in the mood for it right now".

That's a good point, imo. Could have the bruiser be told to neutralize but not kill the intruders, that way (if you go with my previous method) the wands can take care of the target until the guards arrive to make an arrest.

Incriptus
2011-12-14, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the advice!

Personally I figure that the mechanical trap lockdown will the the "weak point" to allow for the excape. So i'm not going with the walls of force. Honestly I perfer the anti-magic field, running a shop with magic items, seems alot like running a gun shop and keeping all the weapons loaded!

I really don't plan on "killing" anyone. As part of it's programing is to avoid the "bull in the china shop problem" . . . This is going to give the character a little room to out manuever it.

So, I think I'm going with 16 if he somehow manages to invent a way to beat the golem, 11 for a successful excape, probably atleast a minor roleplaying experience if he actually works to investigate the shop and decides he's out matched.

[FYI, his character is level 8, but another GM gave him fantastical equipment]