PDA

View Full Version : How can I fit this all in to my pally?

Kaje
2011-12-14, 09:12 PM
So, I'm trying to make a build that incorporates ToM's Witch Slayer, OA's Witch Hunter, and CW's Occult Slayer, preferably slapped onto a Paladin chassis. I had devised the build Ranger 1 / Sentinel 5 / Witch Hunter 4 / Witch Slayer 5 / Occult Slayer 5, until I realized that Witch Hunter required a 3rd level spell. So, short of switching to cleric, is there any way I can manage to fit it all in? If not it's not a huge deal, the Witch Hunter has a bunch of features that overlap with paladin features that I would have spun off into ACFs.

Note: I know it's not a powerful build, but that's ok.

vampire2948
2011-12-14, 10:01 PM
Well... Five levels of the Avoral Monster Class in Savage Species would do it, or all 11 levels of Hound Archon... except I just noticed that the book tells you you have to finish the progression before multiclassing.
Being an Angel would be flavourful if you get your DM to ignore that rule slightly.

Anyway. You likely want RAW answers.

Taking the feat 'Shape Soulmeld : Boneshod Bracers' from Magic of Incarnum would allow you to have Magic Circle against Good... close... hmm.

Easiest way is just to take Cleric levels, as you said, or if you don't like the Cleric. Maybe 7 levels of Divine Bard for tasty skill points and music ability for your party.

CodeRed
2011-12-15, 01:54 AM
Prestige Paladin out of Cleric?

Tokuhara
2011-12-15, 02:06 AM
Weird idea:

Mystic Ranger 6/Sacred Exorcist 1/Prestige Paladin 1/Witch Hunter 4/Witch Slayer 4/Occult Slayer 4

Zaq
2011-12-15, 02:10 AM
Taking the feat 'Shape Soulmeld : Boneshod Bracers' from Magic of Incarnum would allow you to have Magic Circle against Good... close... hmm.

Boneshod . . . Bracers? 'Zat some new homebrew soulmeld? I don't see it in MoI or Dragon Magic.

vampire2948
2011-12-15, 02:42 AM
Boneshod . . . Bracers? 'Zat some new homebrew soulmeld? I don't see it in MoI or Dragon Magic.

Yes... ignore me. I derped slightly.

Kaje
2011-12-16, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have another question. The Arcane Hunter ACF from Complete Mage is a level 1 feature and has a pre-req of Know(Arcana) 1 rank. Does this mean that a ranger can't select this at character level 1 (without Able Learner)? That seems... idiotic.

Tokuhara
2011-12-16, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have another question. The Arcane Hunter ACF from Complete Mage is a level 1 feature and has a pre-req of Know(Arcana) 1 rank. Does this mean that a ranger can't select this at character level 1 (without Able Learner)? That seems... idiotic.

2 things:

1: IIRC, it adds Kno:Arcana to your skill list. Afb right now.
2: Spending two skill points to get it Cross-Class isn't that bad for basically hating on anybody slinging spells in your general direction

Person_Man
2011-12-16, 02:05 PM
So, I'm trying to make a build that incorporates ToM's Witch Slayer, OA's Witch Hunter, and CW's Occult Slayer, preferably slapped onto a Paladin chassis. I had devised the build Ranger 1 / Sentinel 5 / Witch Hunter 4 / Witch Slayer 5 / Occult Slayer 5, until I realized that Witch Hunter required a 3rd level spell. So, short of switching to cleric, is there any way I can manage to fit it all in? If not it's not a huge deal, the Witch Hunter has a bunch of features that overlap with paladin features that I would have spun off into ACFs.

Note: I know it's not a powerful build, but that's ok.

Fist of Raziel (Book of Exalted Deeds) gets Magic Circle against Evil continuously at first level,, as do several other BoED classes. A reasonable DM would allow it to stand in for the Witch Hunter's casting requirement of Magic Circle against Taint or Evil.

It's also on the spell list of most Good casters, including Apostle of Peace, which has very fast spell progression. And Witch Slayer provides 5/10 caster progression, so you wouldn't be throwing that class ability away. The only down side is that you'd have to play a technical pacifist who beats that hunts down Evil magic users and beats them into submission with non-lethal damage (or an actual pacifist, who uses his spells and special abilities to negate his targets' magic and Diplomancy them into submission).

Magic Circle Against Evil is also a 2nd level spell on the Exorcism Domain list (Eberron Campaign Setting), which means you could use Cleric 3 to get in.

And/or you could just use normal Cleric 5/Prestige Paladin 2/Witch Hunter X or something similar.

I would also suggest that you drop the Occult Slayer levels, which are garbage.

Coidzor
2011-12-16, 06:22 PM
Weird idea:

Mystic Ranger 6/Sacred Exorcist 1/Prestige Paladin 1/Witch Hunter 4/Witch Slayer 4/Occult Slayer 4

Doesn't Sacred Exorcist have some kind of awkward spell pre-req?

Kaje
2011-12-16, 09:17 PM
2 things:

1: IIRC, it adds Kno:Arcana to your skill list. Afb right now.
2: Spending two skill points to get it Cross-Class isn't that bad for basically hating on anybody slinging spells in your general direction

Nope, no additional class skills, and I was under the impression you could only get 1/2 rank per level for a cross-class skill.

Tokuhara
2011-12-16, 10:29 PM
Nope, no additional class skills, and I was under the impression you could only get 1/2 rank per level for a cross-class skill.

You have to spend double the skill points for cross-class