PDA

View Full Version : 3.5, Saint Nick, A Divine Rogue PRC

BelGareth
2011-12-15, 01:29 AM
Saint Nick, A Divine Rogue PRC

"HOHOHO."
A Saint Nick.

A Saint Nick is a rare combination of sneakery and altruism, being able to sneak into nearly anywhere undetected it has the capability to do great deeds, but nay, that is not what the Saint Nick does, it is the giver of gifts, the giver of hope to those in need, at least that’s what people think. In actuality the Saint Nick is a thief with a sprinkling of divine power.

BECOMING A SAINT NICK

There is only one Saint Nick at a time. To qualify to become a Saint Nick you must kill the current Saint Nick, take his clothes and wear them for a day.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Sneak Attack: +2d6
Hide: 6 ranks
Spells: Be able to cast divine spells of 2nd level
Special: See above

Class skills (6 + Int Modifier per level): The Saint Nick's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(Dex), Climb(Str), Concentration(Con), craft(Int), Escape Artist(Dex), Handle Animal(Cha), Hide(Dex), Jump(Str), Knowledge(Religion)(Int), Knowledge(History)(Int), Listen(Wis), Move silently(Dex), Profession(Wis), Ride(Dex), Search(Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex), Use rope(Dex).

Alignment: Any

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
0 | - | - | - | - | There can only be one | -

1st| +0 | +0 | +2 | +2 | You can't catch me | +1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd| +1 | +1| +3 | +3 | Extra Domain, Fitted Suit | -

3rd| +2 | +1 | +3 | +3 | Ghost Step | +1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th| +3 | +1 | +4 | +4 | Animal Companion | -

5th| +3 | +2 | +4| +4 | No bonds can hold me, Step Beyond | +1 level of existing spellcasting class

6th| +4 | +2 | +5 | +5 | One with the suit | -

7th| +5 | +2 | +5 | +5 | Irrepressible Mirth | +1 level of existing spellcasting class

8th| +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +6 | Minions | -

9th| +6/+1 | +3 | +6 | +6 | No walls can stop me | +1 level of existing spellcasting class

10th| +7/+2 | +3 | +7 | +7 | Beyond Reach | -

11th| +8/+3 | +4 | +7 | +7 | Second Skin | +1 level of existing spellcasting class

12th| +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +8 | Jovial Spirit | -

13th| +9/+4 | +4 | +8 | +8 | Other Worlds | +1 level of existing spellcasting class

14th| +10/+5 | +5 | +9 | +9 | Duplicity | -
[/table]

Proficiencies: The Saint Nick gains no proficiencies with weapons or armor.

There can only be one: Upon killing the current Saint Nick and wearing his clothes for a day you gain the benefits of wearing the suit of the Saint Nick, additionally you may never remove this suit, not even a wish or miracle can remove the suit. By Wearing the suit the Saint Nick gains Resistance Fire, Cold 10, and can cast Alter Self(to include tiny size) at will. In addition you can cast the spell Fabricate at will with the following exceptions: You can only make mundane items, The items must be for someone else, anyone person can only benefit from this class feature 1/year.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each odd-numbered Saint Nick level, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not; however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of turning or destroying undead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on). If the character had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a Saint Nick, the player must decide to which class to add each Saint Nick level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

You can't Catch me (Sp): The Saint Nick learns that he must never be caught lest he be killed and replaced, he gains the ability to cast Dimension door as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level.

Extra Domain: You are gain access to the Celerity Domain.

Fitted Suit (Su): The suit has magically shifted to fit you, your Fire & Cold Resistance increase by 5 and you gain a permanent Nondetection affect with a caster level equal to his character level.

Ghost Step (Su): You gain the ability to turn invisible as the spell Invisibility as a swift action a number of times per day equal to your Saint Nick class levels, the duration for this affect lasts a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom Modifier.

Animal Companion: You gain the services of a Megaloceros (Frostburn pg.117), this ability functions like the druid ability of the same name, except that the Saint Nick’s effective druid level is his level -10.

Step Beyond: Your 'You can't catch me' ability improves to Teleport at will as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level.

No bonds can hold me (Su): Ever increasing your repertoire to escape your enemies, you gain the ability to turn yourself into a gaseous form 3/day as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level.

One with suit: Your Resistance to Fire and Cold increase to 20 and you gain a constant Private Sanctum Affect as the spell.

Irrepressible Mirth (Su): Your countenance is such that you can shrug off the most vile of enchantments, you gain a resistance bonus to saves vs Enchantment affects equal to your Charisma bonus.

Minions: You gain the Leadership feat except as follows: All followers are an amalgam Elf/Gnome level one Ninja, and your cohort must be a Snow Weird (Frostburn pg.127).

No Walls Can stop me (Su): Your 'Ghost Step' ability improves to include the ability to turn ethereal. This functions as the spell Ethereal Jaunt and uses 1 use of your Ghost Step ability.

Beyond Reach: Your 'You can't catch me' ability improves to Greater Teleport at will as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level.

Second Skin: Your suit has become an integral part of you, you now enjoy immunity to Cold and Fire and a constant Sequester affect (though he or she does not become comatose as normal for the spell).

Jovial Spirit (Su): Your spirit's strength outshines the brightest stars, you gain a constant Mindblank affect as the spell.

Other Worlds: Your 'You can't catch me' ability improves to include Greater Plane Shift at will as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level.

Duplicity (Ex): You reach the pinnacle of your abilities, you can now create a duplicate of yourself (Maximum of 1), your replica has half your HP's and cannot use your 'You can't Catch me' ability, but otherwise is identical in every way (no items are replicated). Upon using your 'You Can't catch me' ability you may designate another place for your replica to appear at. This ability is usable at will.

Zale
2011-12-15, 02:12 AM
So, how long does the invisibility last? Rounds? Minutes?

It says Wis mod, but not what in Wis mod?

BelGareth
2011-12-15, 02:16 AM
So, how long does the invisibility last? Rounds? Minutes?

It says Wis mod, but not what in Wis mod?

Ah yes of course, rounds would be what I wanted to put there. Thanks for pointing it out.

Zale
2011-12-15, 02:22 AM
No problem!

This is a wonderful class. Can't say anything about balance because I lack System-Fu.

BelGareth
2011-12-15, 02:29 AM
No problem!

This is a wonderful class. Can't say anything about balance because I lack System-Fu.

Thanks for reading it!

The only thing you need to know is, it's saint nick, there can only be one. Case closed. :smallbiggrin:

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-15, 02:40 AM
Darn, I was hoping to beat anyone to a Christmas homebrew with the spell I'm making. Oh well.

I must say, I like the class. You did a surprisingly good job of turning the Saint Nick we love into a class, although I think it could use a couple tweaks. For example: Good alignment should be a requirement, or at the very least non-Evil. I'd also suggest that the character must have actually acquired the Saint template from BoED; it's hard to pull off as they wrote it, so it would drastically limit who can take this class, which is a good idea.

This class actually reminded me of the Legendary Classes from a couple of the 3.0 books I have, which is great. I always thought those should get more use/an update, and this is as close as I've ever seen.

Amusingly, I think the only class that could get this without multiclassing is a Paladin who took...can't think of the name of it, but it's a feat to make one skill a class skill for you. Anyways, apply it to hide to let him take full ranks in it. I think that would be the only way to get a +5 BAB, divine casting and 6 ranks of Hide without multiclassing. Just had to share, since the idea of Saint Nick as a Paladin made me laugh.

Dumbledore lives
2011-12-15, 03:05 AM
It's a nice class, but I think the entry requirements are kind of wonky. I'd say lower the BAB or something because as Noctis Vigil said only a Paladin can get into this class reasonably. And everyone knows Santa is a barbarian.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/26700/648479-santa1_large.jpg

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-15, 05:57 AM
What? No way, man, Santa is a ninja.

See how well he hides:
http://media2.inktastic.com/thumbnail/717/452/16/16452717.1.png

Steward
2011-12-15, 07:54 AM
Second Skin: Your suit has become an integral part of you, you now enjoy immunity to Cold and Fire and a constant Sequester affect.

in the spell: (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Sequester)

Creatures affected by sequester become comatose and are effectively in a state of suspended animation until the spell wears off or is dispelled.

Do you think a clause (ha ha!) that removes this effect of the spell 'Sequester' might be needed here?

It might seem obvious but you could just word it like this item (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_of_Sequestering).

BelGareth
2011-12-15, 11:34 AM
Darn, I was hoping to beat anyone to a Christmas homebrew with the spell I'm making. Oh well.

I must say, I like the class. You did a surprisingly good job of turning the Saint Nick we love into a class, although I think it could use a couple tweaks. For example: Good alignment should be a requirement, or at the very least non-Evil. I'd also suggest that the character must have actually acquired the Saint template from BoED; it's hard to pull off as they wrote it, so it would drastically limit who can take this class, which is a good idea.
I was going for the theme of 'everyone thinks he's a good guy, except he's just a thief'
But that could change.

This class actually reminded me of the Legendary Classes from a couple of the 3.0 books I have, which is great. I always thought those should get more use/an update, and this is as close as I've ever seen.
Funny, I have no idea what your talking about.

Amusingly, I think the only class that could get this without multiclassing is a Paladin who took...can't think of the name of it, but it's a feat to make one skill a class skill for you. Anyways, apply it to hide to let him take full ranks in it. I think that would be the only way to get a +5 BAB, divine casting and 6 ranks of Hide without multiclassing. Just had to share, since the idea of Saint Nick as a Paladin made me laugh.
good point, as it's a cleric/rogue Prc, I'll make it more in that lines.

It's a nice class, but I think the entry requirements are kind of wonky. I'd say lower the BAB or something because as Noctis Vigil said only a Paladin can get into this class reasonably. And everyone knows Santa is a barbarian.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/26700/648479-santa1_large.jpg
So true, What was I thinking!

What? No way, man, Santa is a ninja.

See how well he hides:
http://media2.inktastic.com/thumbnail/717/452/16/16452717.1.png
I like the way no one has any issues with his Gelf ninja Followers!

in the spell: (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Sequester)
Do you think a clause (ha ha!) that removes this effect of the spell 'Sequester' might be needed here?

It might seem obvious but you could just word it like this item (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_of_Sequestering).
This made me laugh, I can see it now, you level up and all of a sudden your PC drops comatose to the floor.....
'What happened?'
*sigh* 'I leveled!'

Steward
2011-12-15, 11:54 AM
This made me laugh, I can see it now, you level up and all of a sudden your PC drops comatose to the floor.....
'What happened?'
*sigh* 'I leveled!'

Honestly, that doesn't sound so bad. The Risen Martyr prestige class in the Book of Exalted Deeds is essentially killed off after reaching its capstone, and you're not allowed to multiclass out to avoid reaching that level.

And it's definitely debatable whether or not either that or the full sequester effect would be worse than the Truenamer.

super dark33
2011-12-15, 12:52 PM
THERE CAN BE ONLYYY ONEE!

i love hte class :smallbiggrin:

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 08:42 PM
Class skills (6 + Int Modifier per level): The Saint Nick's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(Dex), Climb(Str), Concentration(Con), craft(Int), Escape Artist(Dex), Handle Animal(Cha), Hide(Dex), Jump(Str), Knowledge(Religion)(Int), Knowledge(History)(Int), Listen(Wis), Move silently(Dex), Profession(Wis), Ride(Dex), Search(Int), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex), Use rope(Dex).
Fixed that for you. :smallsmile:

I don't understand why a man who is renowned for being fat and jolly has poor Fort saves.

You Can't Catch Me: - This is (Sp), not (Su), and it should say "cast dimension door as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level". (Dimension door directly uses your caster level to calculate how far you can run). This applies to all upgrades (Teleport and Greater Teleport)

Fitted Suit: Again, you need to specify a caster level here, as well as whether the nondetection effect is treated as if you cast it on yourself (it determines whether the level check to overcome is 11+CL or 15+CL)

No Bonds Can Hold Me: Is there a duration on this, or is it a spell-like ability? (SLAs don't have any components at all) If it's spell-like it needs a caster level.

This whole class looks great though!

Wyntonian
2011-12-15, 09:03 PM
Hahaha, I really like this. It's DAMN good too, plenty of really solid effects, perfect for a sneaky elusive bugger like the inspiration. Good work.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 09:08 PM
Needs more Sleight of Hand, by the way.

BelGareth
2011-12-15, 09:12 PM
Fixed that for you. :smallsmile:

I don't understand why a man who is renowned for being fat and jolly has poor Fort saves.

You Can't Catch Me: - This is (Sp), not (Su), and it should say "cast dimension door as the spell, as a spell-like ability at will, with a caster level equal to his character level". (Dimension door directly uses your caster level to calculate how far you can run). This applies to all upgrades (Teleport and Greater Teleport)

Fitted Suit: Again, you need to specify a caster level here, as well as whether the nondetection effect is treated as if you cast it on yourself (it determines whether the level check to overcome is 11+CL or 15+CL)

No Bonds Can Hold Me: Is there a duration on this, or is it a spell-like ability? (SLAs don't have any components at all) If it's spell-like it needs a caster level.

This whole class looks great though!
Thanks for the fixes, I swear I had caught that, but I've been making obvious blunders recently!

Thanks for reading, and again your input is greatly valued!

Glad you like it!

Hahaha, I really like this. It's DAMN good too, plenty of really solid effects, perfect for a sneaky elusive bugger like the inspiration. Good work.

Thanks! Tried to make it fun and legitimate at the same time.

GFawkes
2011-12-16, 02:44 AM
Dude....

You turned Santa into a Prestige Class.

I'm not sure whether to hug you or slap you across the head. In either case, why is there no mention of a weakness to cookies and milk?

DeusMortuusEst
2011-12-16, 03:43 AM
What happens if the current St. Nick dies of natural causes, or if a tarrasque eats him? Who takes his place then? (My natural solution would be that the suit makes him stop aging, and if he's killed by a monster the suit magically appears at some ancient shrine somewhere where it waits for someone to come and claim it.)

2 CP.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-16, 03:58 AM
What happens if the current St. Nick dies of natural causes, or if a tarrasque eats him? Who takes his place then? (My natural solution would be that the suit makes him stop aging, and if he's killed by a monster the suit magically appears at some ancient shrine somewhere where it waits for someone to come and claim it.)

Great. Now you have a mental image in my head of the tarrasque in a red suit, coming down my chimney with a sack full of toys. That is a mental image I can not unsee.

DeusMortuusEst
2011-12-16, 04:48 AM
Great. Now you have a mental image in my head of the tarrasque in a red suit, coming down my chimney with a sack full of toys. That is a mental image I can not unsee.

You're welcome :smallbiggrin:

Tingel
2011-12-16, 05:01 AM
Good alignment should be a requirement, or at the very least non-Evil. I'd also suggest that the character must have actually acquired the Saint template from BoED

That would contradict the requirement of having to murder the previous Saint Nick to take the class (which is a rather horrid requirement I must say; it screams Evil to me and does not fit the flavor of the class).

Rapidghoul
2011-12-16, 06:01 AM

Sigquote worthy.

paddyfool
2011-12-16, 06:11 AM
That would contradict the requirement of having to murder the previous Saint Nick to take the class (which is a rather horrid requirement I must say; it screams Evil to me and does not fit the flavor of the class).

I thought so too. But then I got to imagining two factions of more-or-less roguish characters feuding through time for this suit. And one of those factions could be good, if the other was evil.

BelGareth
2011-12-16, 01:12 PM
Dude....

You turned Santa into a Prestige Class.

I'm not sure whether to hug you or slap you across the head. In either case, why is there no mention of a weakness to cookies and milk?
OH YEAH!, Oh man I need to write that in....how to do it...

2 CP.
That is a great question, maybe I'll add a bit about how his Gelf Ninja Followers take the suit and find an appropriate replacement, preferably a brother of the previous Saint Nick. Or the Terrasque becomes the Saint nick, in all it's awesomeness

So true!

My interpretation here is that the Saint Nick is really just a very lucky and quirky rogue, but I ask you, how else do you become a Saint Nick? just wait for the old one to die? ooh wait....he's immortal....Gotta add in no aging....

I thought so too. But then I got to imagining two factions of more-or-less roguish characters feuding through time for this suit. And one of those factions could be good, if the other was evil.
I LIKE it!

togapika
2011-12-16, 04:54 PM
What happens if you become St. Nick, die and then get resurrected?

BelGareth
2011-12-16, 05:19 PM
What happens if you become St. Nick, die and then get resurrected?

Then you must kill the current replacement if the Gelf Ninjas have filled the spot, if not then they rejoice at your return and celebrate!

togapika
2011-12-16, 05:38 PM
Then you must kill the current replacement

While down all those class levels?

Mulletmanalive
2011-12-16, 06:03 PM
I'm kinda sad this wasn't a pun; "to nick" being a British vernacular for theft.