PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine and Crafting

Elboxo
2011-12-15, 02:25 AM
1) So with special materials, for example adamantine, when crafting, is the cost of the adamantine 1/3rd of the normal price for an adamantine weapon? Adamantine melee weapons normally add 3000 gp to the price, does this get added to the base price and then that total is cut into a third for crafting?

2) It says under special materials that "The masterwork cost is included in the prices given below" and in weapons that "All magic weapons are automatically considered to be of masterwork quality." Does this mean that a weapon already with a +1 enhancement costs 300gp ( Masterwork cost ) less to have adamantine added to it, thereby the total for adamantine is 2700gp, since it already technically has the masterwork property?

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-15, 02:36 AM
I do not believe you can change a weapon's metal composition after it has been crafted (sans spells). However, the first part should be correct.

Elboxo
2011-12-15, 02:43 AM
Yeah I know, but during crafting it will have the +1 enhancement crafted into it... right? D: Or does the enchantment HAVE to come later?

Baka Nikujaga
2011-12-15, 02:53 AM
The enhancement is factored in after the base adamantine object is finished. That is, if a random smith crafted the item it would not, by virtue of its material, be magical (the enhancement bonus).

[Edit]
Apologies if I misunderstood your question. If you are wondering whether or not it would still possess the Masterwork quality (and thus the bonus provided by it), then yes, you are correct. It would be factored into the weapon or armor upon being finished.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-15, 03:19 AM
1) So with special materials, for example adamantine, when crafting, is the cost of the adamantine 1/3rd of the normal price for an adamantine weapon? Adamantine melee weapons normally add 3000 gp to the price, does this get added to the base price and then that total is cut into a third for crafting?

Yes. An adamantine Longsword would cost 3015 gp, which would come out to 1005 gp to craft for yourself.

2) It says under special materials that "The masterwork cost is included in the prices given below" and in weapons that "All magic weapons are automatically considered to be of masterwork quality." Does this mean that a weapon already with a +1 enhancement costs 300gp ( Masterwork cost ) less to have adamantine added to it, thereby the total for adamantine is 2700gp, since it already technically has the masterwork property?

As was said, you can't change the material after you make the weapon.

However, it, by that, you mean "If I wanted an Adamantine Frost Brand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#frostBrand)/specific magic weapon/doohicky, would the cost of Adamantine for it be reduced", I'd say yeah, it would. Seems reasonable.

Elboxo
2011-12-15, 03:30 AM
Okay cool, thanks guys!