PDA

View Full Version : shoulda woulda

Strormer
2011-12-15, 03:46 AM
Alringht. Bit of a silly thread.
What is the one rpg you always wanted to play and never got to?

For me it is a tie between hol and saga edition star wars.

Crossblade
2011-12-15, 04:47 AM
Also Star Wars Saga.

Big Star Wars fan. No group to play with at the time it was being produced. Have a group now, but we're now playing PF Kingmaker which I'm DM'ing because our previous DM had burn out.

What's not to love about Star Wars?

KillianHawkeye
2011-12-15, 08:06 AM
Ugh, I bought a ton of SW Saga books, but when it came to playing it or running a game, I found I just didn't like Star Wars as a game setting. Still, SAGA is a great game system that could easily be adapted to a better setting with less BS Jedi shenanigans.

Yora
2011-12-15, 08:09 AM
Mouse Guard.

Though I have to say I played Star Wars Saga and Shadowrun both only once. Playing them a lot more would be cool.

Oracle_Hunter
2011-12-15, 08:11 AM
Hackmaster.

Ridiculous parody of AD&D or most faithful interpretation of the AD&D aesthetic. You be the judge! :smallbiggrin:

Also: Paranoia!

Saph
2011-12-15, 08:11 AM
Always kind of wanted to try Shadowrun, but no-one in my neighbourhood plays it.

Bosaxon
2011-12-15, 08:37 AM
kill puppies for satan.

Why? I'm the only one in my group that frequently professes my evilness(although we're all evil in our own special ways), and I want to see how I compare to my friends when they're uninhibited.

Velaryon
2011-12-15, 02:24 PM
Don't laugh.

The RPG I've wanted to play and never been able to is WWE Know Your Role, a d20-based pro wrestling RPG. I saw it in a gaming store, got a good laugh out of the concept, and walked away. Then out of curiosity I looked it up at home, and saw that it got some pretty decent reviews, so I bought the book on Amazon and read through it. I liked what I saw enough that I wanted to try it out.

Since then, I have convinced two gaming groups to try it out. Both times, the exact same thing happened: I taught them the basics well enough that they could create characters and have simulation matches (with me overseeing things to help them run smoothly), and for the most part people had a good time and were willing to play it again. But there was always one guy who said no, he wasn't going to play this game, and in the interest of not excluding anyone in the group we dropped it.

So both times, I have taught the group the basics of how to play the game, only to have the game dropped before I actually got to play it myself. :smallmad: They wouldn't even agree to just one more session so I could at least have a little fun trying it out myself. :smallfurious::smallfurious:

DrBurr
2011-12-15, 02:48 PM
The old Ghostbusters RPG

I tracked down a copy of it on eBay a couple months back after watching the two movies and bought with the intent that we'd play it during an off week where not enough people showed up or my brain is fried and needs a break from Dnd. Though every time any this has occurred my group always votes to play a One Shot run by someone else, Gamma World and even once monopoly.

Maybe one day we'll play it but I don't plan to get my hopes up.

LansXero
2011-12-15, 03:24 PM
Sine Requie, although Im getting the chance soon-ish I think.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_Requie

(It being exclusively in italian doesnt help matters either >_<)

Talyn
2011-12-15, 04:38 PM
Paranoia. No doubt.

Dimers
2011-12-15, 04:52 PM
Funny ... my first thought was "HOL", without even reading past the first question in the OP.

I'd really like to play oWoD Mage or Wraith, too, but only with just the right group of people. They're not adventure games -- one's an exercise in philosophy, the other an exploration of self through the prism of Jungian psychology. Uh. HOL and Wraith ... slight difference between game types, there.

Shyftir
2011-12-15, 05:27 PM
Mine is In a Wicked Age.

Also what is HOL?

cattoy
2011-12-15, 06:25 PM
HOL = Human Occupied Landfill. A parody sf game originally published by Dirt Merchant Games, later picked up by White Wolf.

Xefas
2011-12-15, 06:53 PM
I really wanna play me some 'Thou Art But A Warrior'. A game set in the Crusades, you get to play Islamic Paladins protecting Spain who will inevitably fail and be slaughtered to the last man by marauding Christian Knights.

Although, I've not exactly given up hope of playing it one day. I feel actual remorse for games like 'Storming The Wizard's Tower' and 'Silence Keeps Me A Victim', that've just been abandoned. Those are ones I really won't get to play.

Strormer
2011-12-16, 01:42 AM
You know, I completely forgot Mouse Guard, but that was always in my want collumn. Also, I know what you mean about Wraith. I played Demon once, and loved it, but you need a really good and particularly philosophical group to make it fun.

Totally Guy
2011-12-16, 03:35 AM
Mine is In a Wicked Age.

I'm going to run that next chance I get. I might even do a double session, Wicked Age and Fiasco.

Mono Vertigo
2011-12-16, 05:26 AM
Paranoia and Call of Chthulhu are on the top of my list.
Once these ones are done, there's also nWoD (Changeling and Mage in particular). There are just a lot of systems I never really got to try.

Incanus Kindler
2011-12-19, 01:39 AM
Definitely Call of Cthulhu for me. I've had the game forever but for some reason all of my friends are absolutely opposed to playing it. Actually, they are difficult to get playing anything that isn't 3.5. I think I need new friends.

Totally Guy
2011-12-19, 04:04 AM
I wasn't really planning on it but I managed to run In a Wicked Age this this weekend. :smallbiggrin: It was pretty good.

Krazzman
2011-12-19, 04:32 AM
A proper DnD/PF campaign....

2 sessions, campaign dropped because of ooc-conflict...

2 sessions of INTRODUCTIONS because of solo adventuring... game dropped because everyone had something else to do on weekends...suddenly...

Greenish
2011-12-19, 08:08 AM
Mouse Guard.

Also: Paranoia!Seconding these.

One day…

The Glyphstone
2011-12-19, 09:30 AM
kill puppies for satan, Paranoia, Shadowrun, X-Crawl (setting not game, but still).

Vknight
2011-12-19, 12:12 PM
For me
Shadowrun even if its just a short campaign or one shot

Star Wars Saga edition the only attempt ended when the Gungan Jedi's player had a hissy fit.

Monsters and Other Childish Things

and a full Mutants and Masterminds campaign not just some one-shots etc.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-19, 01:41 PM
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchhausen

...because drunk people have better things to do than RPGs

Zejety
2011-12-19, 01:53 PM
Definitely Paranoia.

Also a good CoC adventure.

Greenish
2011-12-19, 02:30 PM
The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron MunchhausenIs there a Münchhausen RPG? Sounds pretty likely.

...because drunk people have better things to do than RPGsLies and heresy.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-19, 02:50 PM
Is there a Münchhausen RPG? Sounds pretty likely.

Lies and heresy.

The heresy is the response to my suggestion

The RPG is great. Almost without rules, you take the persona of a baroque nobleperson and spin tall tales of an exploit that another asks you to remember while everybody "remembers" details of your adventure that you "forgot" to include. If you cannot incorporate the details well enough, take a drink. Because it is unseemly not to toast with your fellow nobles, everyone takes a drink. As you drink, the stories make more sense. The book is fairly difficult to track down though, but looks utterly hilarious.

Greenish
2011-12-19, 03:30 PM
The RPG is great. Almost without rules, you take the persona of a baroque nobleperson and spin tall tales of an exploit that another asks you to remember while everybody "remembers" details of your adventure that you "forgot" to include. If you cannot incorporate the details well enough, take a drink. Because it is unseemly not to toast with your fellow nobles, everyone takes a drink. As you drink, the stories make more sense. The book is fairly difficult to track down though, but looks utterly hilarious.I must have it!

Private-Prinny
2011-12-19, 03:40 PM
I've wanted to play Ars Magicka, but the group I'm in probably wouldn't want to.

DoctorGlock
2011-12-19, 04:22 PM
I must have it!

The entire 26 page book is written in the style of the titular baron himself. If you can find a group up for it, it will be a night to remember. Or not. Transcribe everything you come up with for future reading, from what I hear it is even funnier trying to make sense of it later. There is also a system involved for wagers which can get utterly hilarious. I deeply regret not having played it yet. Happily, when I return to school, all my RPG buddies will be over 21...

What I posted before should be enough to play the game. I'd like to say more but I do not know how much violates forum rules, so I can give only a few recommendations.

Foremost in importance is your choice of title. The book go so far as to recommend underlining it. Twice. Duke, Baron, Duchess, Earl, if foreign you may engage in the use of Sultan, Sheikh or for the Americans Chief Executive Officer. Do not forget to underline. Add a name. Estate and pedigree are optional.

If one cannot continue a story, it is likely that he needs to wet his throat. Bring some drink, brandy is preferable. It is most ungracious not to toast alongside your fellow nobles however.

Dueling is not permitted to the Welsh. It is above them. If you find yourself unable to incorporate a detail but find your honor impinged at being called a liar, you may opt to duel. This is done via rock paper scissors. Unless you are a peasant or Welsh, in which case it presumably results in fisticuffs.

I am leaving wagers out because those use a specific rule set and likely violate forum rules. But the ragging on the welsh and everything is the style of the book. If for no other reason buy it for laugh value.

I ask that if you manage to get a game going you post a log of it.

Totally Guy
2011-12-19, 05:02 PM
The entire 26 page book is written in the style of the titular baron himself.

My copy has 106 pages. There would be more than that but the last pages have been torn out!

DoctorGlock
2011-12-19, 05:13 PM
My copy has 106 pages. There would be more than that but the last pages have been torn out!

Huh? Are you trying to start a game on the forum here or are there more than 1 version? Perhaps yours is Welsh. Mine is the Hogshead Publishing one weighing in at 26 pages including the appendices, beyond that I don't remember much because it's at home some 6000 miles away.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-12-19, 05:18 PM
Several. Mouse Guard (which, at least, we have now, so it's only a matter of getting people to learn the freaking game), Maid, Paranoia, and Dread (notable for being played with a Jenga tower rather than dice) top the list though.

Totally Guy
2011-12-19, 05:19 PM
Mine is the Hogshead Publishing one weighing in at 26 pages including the appendices, beyond that I don't remember much because it's at home some 6000 miles away.

Mine is published by Magnum Opus.

I think I value it more as a book to read than as a role playing game. The character of the Baron amazing.

I love the combat system. It's basically challenging another player to a real life duel!

DoctorGlock
2011-12-19, 05:23 PM
Mine is published by Magnum Opus.

I think I value it more as a book to read than as a role playing game. The character of the Baron amazing.

I love the combat system. It's basically challenging another player to a real life duel!

Yeah, I just wiki'd that, multiple versions. Does the Magnum Opus version keep the same "combat" rules?

As a book it brings tears of laughter to my eyes whenever I read it. As a system... there is very little system but everyone should play a game or two. I am not sure if it can really qualify as an RPG.

Mordar
2011-12-19, 06:52 PM
Definitely Call of Cthulhu for me. I've had the game forever but for some reason all of my friends are absolutely opposed to playing it. Actually, they are difficult to get playing anything that isn't 3.5. I think I need new friends.

You know, as someone fortunate enough to have gotten to play a relative ton of CoC (including a little bit of modern age CoC, though 20s is BY FAR my preferred setting), I cry (figuratively) to see so much gamer-fear and misinformation about this game.

The perception that every character must either die or go insane by the end of the first story ("...or the Storyteller isn't doing it right!") is, I think, the primary thing keeping people from a fantastic investigation game with wonderful flavor, scary magic, scarier things-that-go-bump-in-the-night, and yes, a little action. There's a reason why Chaosium published so many multi-chapter stories/campaigns...they expected people to make it through to the end! Granted, not everyone does/should, and even if you make it to the end, you might not make it through the end...but it certainly wasn't meant to be the psychological meat-grinder many of the naysayers believe it to be.

In short, keep on trying...find a group and give it a whirl, and let them know that CoC /= Paranoia!

Oh, and so the post is on topic...I always wanted to play In Nomine, angelic.

- M

killem2
2011-12-20, 06:34 PM
Always kind of wanted to try Shadowrun, but no-one in my neighbourhood plays it.

I was lucky enough to get to play that, it was a great RPG. I remember my guy was kind of an evil bastard, and I tossed a grenade into a fast food drive through window, because I didn't get my order fast enough. :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2011-12-20, 07:16 PM
I was lucky enough to get to play that, it was a great RPG. I remember my guy was kind of an evil bastard, and I tossed a grenade into a fast food drive through window, because I didn't get my order fast enough. :smallbiggrin:

Hmph. :smallannoyed: Serves 'em right for not using plascrete windows and a delivery drone.

:smallbiggrin:

Jayabalard
2011-12-21, 05:36 PM
Also: Paranoia!This. As much as I've wanted to play it, I've never actually gotten a game going in it.

Trinoya
2011-12-21, 09:43 PM
Aces and Eights, sadly the time for that as a possibility has long since passed.

Strormer
2011-12-23, 12:19 AM
Aces and Eights, sadly the time for that as a possibility has long since passed.

You know I always saw that one because I use a lot of KoK in my games, but I never really gave it a look.

Bastian Weaver
2011-12-23, 06:29 AM
I was going to say Stuperpowers! and GURPS Black Ops. And maybe something involving GURPS Creatures of the Night.
But now I'm so going to play The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Münchhausen. Thank you, guys. This game is an awesome Christmas present.