PDA

View Full Version : Knockdown Clarification

Yorae
2011-12-15, 10:52 AM
I was looking for some clarification on the interaction between the feats knockdown (free trip when you deal at least 10 damage in melee) and Improved Trip (free melee attack on a successful trip).

Could I use a martial strike, dealing 10+ points of damage in melee, trigger knockdown, trip my opponent, and then get an additional melee attack due to improved trip?

Gwendol
2011-12-15, 10:58 AM
Yes. The Imp trip feat says that if you trip an opponent in melee combat, you get to attack again.

Darrin
2011-12-15, 12:35 PM
Could I use a martial strike, dealing 10+ points of damage in melee, trigger knockdown, trip my opponent, and then get an additional melee attack due to improved trip?

According to the 3.5 SRD, yes.

According to the 3.0 Sword & Fist errata, no.

There's some debate about whether the Knock-Down feat included in the Divine section of the SRD deliberately left out the Sword & Fist errata, or if it was an oversight and the editors/designers just plain forgot to include it.

By RAW, the 3.5 SRD was published sometime after the Sword & Fist errata and thus supercedes it. However, many DMs don't like melee characters getting free attacks, and don't allow it. This is usually referred to around here as "Melee can't have nice things."

Yorae
2011-12-15, 01:12 PM
According to the 3.5 SRD, yes.

According to the 3.0 Sword & Fist errata, no.

There's some debate about whether the Knock-Down feat included in the Divine section of the SRD deliberately left out the Sword & Fist errata, or if it was an oversight and the editors/designers just plain forgot to include it.

By RAW, the 3.5 SRD was published sometime after the Sword & Fist errata and thus supercedes it. However, many DMs don't like melee characters getting free attacks, and don't allow it. This is usually referred to around here as "Melee can't have nice things."

Could I ask what the errata was?

Edit: Found it - looks like the 3.5 SRD does ignore that errata from 3.0, though. Pretty comfortable with letting this work, then.