PDA

View Full Version : slightly odd questions

Kol Korran
2011-12-15, 11:41 AM
1) is there some way for a 14th level sorcerer to protect from a directed dispel magic? (for buffs) probably either empowered or maximized by a 10th level character?

2)barring that, is there a way for said sorcerer to whip out about 3 buffs (around 2-4th in level, undecided yet) as a standard or full round action?

the sorcerer has (had) quite a lot of resources, but any items to this effect should be in WBL.

wondering about this for a certain fight in the future, where i assume the party will start with a maximized or empowered dispel to begin with.

(search word: Tomer)

Aegis013
2011-12-15, 12:02 PM
If it's specifically Dispel Magic, you could grab a spell blade weapon from Player's Guide to Faerun. That should prevent it.

Edit: Between Arcane Spellsurge and Arcane Fusion you might be able to get 3 or 4 buffs out in one turn.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-15, 12:07 PM
Wield (i.e., walk around and threaten with) a weapon with the spellblade enhancement (Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 120); you gain immunity to a single targeted spell, chosen at fabrication. Greater Dispel Magic (targeted version) seems like a good choice.

Lord Il Palazzo
2011-12-15, 12:29 PM
If you're interested in a Core option (or even just a backup in case the Spellblade mentioned above gets disarmed or something) you could look at counterspells. Of course the guy could counterspell as a ready action, but it would be more efficient to just give him a Ring of Counterspells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#counterspells) (or two) set up against your pick of Dispel Magic or its Greater brother. Granted, it's only a one time counter, but it could still make a decent backup, and would be great if his opponents only have one Dispel Magic prepared when the fight starts.

Zaq
2011-12-15, 03:33 PM
Battlemage's Perception or one of the other spells that gives you a better ability to counterspell (at least, I think it's Battlemage's Perception) could work. "Disp—" "No, YOU Dispel!" If you don't want to use a spell known on it (though it's a fun spell), you could scroll it without even rolling, since it's on your list.

Also, a friendly Truenamer of 10th level or higher can undispel two spells per round for you, but we all know that 1) high-level Truenamers don't exist and 2) they're hateful and bitter people who wouldn't want to help you.

(OK, that last part isn't true. They may be so desperate to be useful that they'll attach themselves to your leg and never let go. If this is the case, ask them to learn Magic Contraction as well, or maybe Caster Lens.)

Glimbur
2011-12-15, 03:47 PM
1) is there some way for a 14th level sorcerer to protect from a directed dispel magic? (for buffs) probably either empowered or maximized by a 10th level character?

It should help you somewhat that Maximize and Empower don't actually help a Dispel Magic dispel any better. Both feats have the line
Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. If you don't buy that dispelling is an opposed roll, consider that it does not have a variable numeric effect, just a binary effect dispel/not for each spell.

You can also pre-buff with a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, which requires a dispel magic specifically targeted on it to have a chance of getting it down.

Psyren
2011-12-15, 03:48 PM
You're a sorcerer, so the 2nd-level spell Wings of Cover is also an option. You break line of effect as an immediate action, protecting you from all targeted spells and bursts (which includes both versions of dispel magic.)

It even blocks disjunction, providing supreme protection for your buffs (and items.)

gbprime
2011-12-15, 03:52 PM
And if you want to throw multiple buffs a round, ain't nothing beats War Weaver from Heroes of Battle.

JaronK
2011-12-15, 04:38 PM
There's also the Ring of Spell Battle from MiC. The cheesy way is to just pump your Caster Level to extremes so you don't care. Arcane Disciple to get Consumptive Field along with a way to persist it (Anima Mage, perhaps?) would get the job done pretty nicely. So would the Master Spellthief feat if you know how to play with it.

JaronK

Kol Korran
2011-12-16, 04:45 AM
just goes to show how much i don't know... Not that rules savvy, am i. a few ofthese i know, most i don't. lets see:

spell blade weapon from Player's Guide to Faerun.

Arcane Spellsurge and Arcane Fusion i don't have the Faerun book, but where are the two others from? are they feats? class features? spells?

spellblade enhancement (Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 120); you gain immunity to a single targeted spell, chosen at fabrication. i guess i might need to seek the book, or create a similar magic item. what would be it's worth (for dispel magic, the greater version is not a problem yet) for a worn item?

Ring of Counterspells(or two) this might work! the party might be confused at how the spell was immediately turned down. they might get discouraged to continue trying?

Battlemage's Perception

Also, a friendly Truenamer of 10th level or higher
what is battle perception and where is it from? a true namer won't fit at this point, the sorcerer needs sort of to be alone.

It should help you somewhat that Maximize and Empower don't actually help a Dispel Magic dispel any better. Both feats have the line . If you don't buy that dispelling is an opposed roll, consider that it does not have a variable numeric effect, just a binary effect dispel/not for each spell.

You can also pre-buff with a Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, which requires a dispel magic specifically targeted on it to have a chance of getting it down.

the lesser globe of invulnerability will be in place allready, and the party will most likely need to take it down.

as to the dispel magic interpertation - i think i will let it stand... i do thyink this counts as an opposed roll (otherwise the CL wouldn't be important, it's sort of like take 10) one could argue the effect is the dispelling power, which is not exactly binary, as it can effect lower caster level but not higher caster level, so the exact number is important. it seems so to me.

You're a sorcerer, so the 2nd-level spell Wings of Cover is also an option. You break line of effect as an immediate action, protecting you from all targeted spells and bursts (which includes both versions of dispel magic.)

It even blocks disjunction, providing supreme protection for your buffs (and items.)
i couldn't find Wings of Cover in my books. which book is it from?

And if you want to throw multiple buffs a round, ain't nothing beats War Weaver from Heroes of Battle.
hmmmm... the build was sort of complete, but i can check it out... it might do the trick nicely. thanks!

There's also the Ring of Spell Battle from MiC. The cheesy way is to just pump your Caster Level to extremes so you don't care. Arcane Disciple to get Consumptive Field along with a way to persist it (Anima Mage, perhaps?) would get the job done pretty nicely. So would the Master Spellthief feat if you know how to play with it.

JaronK

i don't know what consumptive field and anima mage are... ive never used a spellthief as well... hmmm...

thank you all, i'll try and think this through. :smallamused:

molten_dragon
2011-12-16, 06:01 AM
Another good option is the Ring of Enduring Arcana from Complete Mage. It boosts caster level for the purposes of counterspell and dispel checks.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-16, 06:09 AM
A slightly odd answer, would a miss chance work?
Or failing that an illusionary version of you in the wrong spot, a 14thlv sorcerer should have access to project image, would that work?
A disguised minion pretending to cast spells while you do so while under greater invisibility nearby?
If they wouldn't just use one of the above suggestions, they're all pretty solid.:smallbiggrin: