PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Weapon Enhancement Suggestions

Xander96
2011-12-15, 11:46 AM
Hello Fellow Paizons! I am currently involved in a campaign for Pathfinder, Kingmaker specifically. I was wondering what would be the best option to choose for a weapon enhancement? All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

jmelesky
2011-12-15, 01:13 PM
Depends entirely on what you're playing and what you want out of the weapon.

"Agile" is awesome, if you're playing a Weapon Finesse character, but useless for a strong melee type. "Undead bane" might be awesome, or not, depending on the campaign. "Spell storing" is super-useful for very specific builds.

Mr. Zolrane
2011-12-15, 01:16 PM
Depends entirely on what you're playing and what you want out of the weapon.

"Agile" is awesome, if you're playing a Weapon Finesse character, but useless for a strong melee type. "Undead bane" might be awesome, or not, depending on the campaign. "Spell storing" is super-useful for very specific builds.

"Spell-storing" was scary as all heck in 3.5 if you had Complete Arcane. Maximized Lesser Orbs of Acid in a rogue's rapiers... yup, you're pretty much screwed.

As for general stuff, if you're wielding a slashing weapon and you don't want to blow a feat on Improved Critical, Keen is lovely. And if you're using a high-crit weapon, the elemental Bursts supplement your damage nicely.

jmelesky
2011-12-15, 01:53 PM
"Spell-storing" was scary as all heck in 3.5 if you had Complete Arcane. Maximized Lesser Orbs of Acid in a rogue's rapiers... yup, you're pretty much screwed.

Yeah, it's useful for gish types, and still useful as long as you have a friendly caster in your party who's willing to piggyback her spells on your BAB.

Surprisingly unuseful for Magi, though, since they have something very similar in their spellstrike ability (though i suppose a spell storing weapon could let you invoke two spells at once if used in combination with spellstrike).

As for general stuff, if you're wielding a slashing weapon and you don't want to blow a feat on Improved Critical, Keen is lovely. And if you're using a high-crit weapon, the elemental Bursts supplement your damage nicely.

Every so often, i think that keen is underpriced at only +1. That's probably a reasonable cost for crit ranges of 20, but it's super cheap for the 18-20 crowd.

herrhauptmann
2011-12-15, 02:08 PM
Every so often, i think that keen is underpriced at only +1. That's probably a reasonable cost for crit ranges of 20, but it's super cheap for the 18-20 crowd.

18-20 crowd is quite rare. 19-20 is a lot more common.

Now, I know nothing of the Kingmaker path, but I'm a fan of the Runeforged weapons.
Covetous seems pretty weak unless you know you're fighting a lot of fire subtypes.
Domineering good if the DM likes to hit you baleful polymorph or something
Sadistic is great if the party wizard and the DM are willing to use Disjunction on each other. Also saves you a lot of rolling and looking up numbers midgame if the DM hits you with a dispel or something.

Miserly (opposes illusion): A union of transmutation and conjuration magic, a miserly runeforged weapon functions as a bane weapon against illusionists and creatures from the transitive Plane of Shadow. The first three times each day that this weapon strikes an illusion, it automatically makes a targeted dispel magic attempt to dispel the illusion.

Covetous (opposes evocation): A union of conjuration and abjuration magic, a covetous runeforged weapon functions as a bane weapon against evokers and creatures with the fire subtype. As long as the weapon is wielded, the wielder gains fire resistance 5.

Jealous (opposes necromancy): A union of abjuration and enchantment magic, a jealous runeforged weapon functions as a bane weapon against necromancers and against undead created by necromancy spells (not against self-manifested undead or undead created by the create spawn special ability). As long as the weapon is carried, it can absorb up to three negative levels inflicted on the wielder per day.

Domineering (opposes transmutation): A union of enchantment and illusion magic, a domineering runeforged weapon functions as a bane weapon against transmuters and against creatures with the shapechanger subtype. As long as the weapon is carried, it can absorb up to three harmful transmutation effects (such as baleful polymorph or petrification) inflicted on the wielder per day.

Tyrannical (opposes conjuration): A union of illusion and evocation magic, a tyrannical runeforged weapon functions as a bane weapon against conjurers and summoned monsters. The first three times each day that the weapon scores a critical hit against a creature with the Extraplanar subtype, the weapon casts dismissal at the creature struck.

Sadistic (opposes abjuration): A union of evocation and necromancy magic, a sadistic runeforged weapon functions as a bane weapon against abjurers and any creatures with an active abjuration spell effect. A sadistic runeforged weapon shrouds its wielder in an aura of mock magic—when the wielder is subjected to a dispelling effect, that dispelling attempt instead targets only the aura of mock magic. If the aura is dispelled, it replenishes again in 24 hours.

Parasitic (opposes enchantment): A union of necromancy and transmutation magic, a parasitic runeforged weapon functions as a bane weapon against enchanters and against creatures that are charmed, dominated, or otherwise under another creature’s magic control. The first time each day that this weapon strikes a creature under the effects of an enchantment spell, it automatically makes a targeted dispel magic attempt to dispel the enchantment—if the attempt is successful, it siphons that energy into the wielder, healing him of 6d6 points of damage (hit points in excess of maximum are gained as temporary hit points that last for 1 hour).

Xander96
2011-12-15, 02:36 PM
Sorry about that. I should have provided more indepth detail. I am playing a fighter wielding a polearm. I hope this helps for more future suggestions! And thanks to those that have provided suggestions thus far!

Xander96
2011-12-16, 06:50 AM
.....................*bump