PDA

View Full Version : [DM] - Tools for creating enemy classes?

killem2
2011-12-15, 11:54 AM
I have a session coming up again next month, and its a minor dungeon crawl, it will contain your various orcs and goblins, and goblinoids, but they are meerly slaves to an organization that is composed of a bit more intelligent beings, Humans, halflings, and a sprinkling of half orcs and half elves.

These races, are going to be more than just stuff from the MM, but not so unique they are seem like boss fights.

I'm thinking, of generating a barbarian, a few fighters, maybe an area with a crap wizard/cleric or similar class, but mostly rogues.

Aidan305
2011-12-15, 02:05 PM
One option that you have is using the NPC classes from (if 3, 3.5 the DMG, if Pathfinder, the back of the Core book). They can let you mix up the abilities of the enemies a bit more, and aren't as powerful as the PC classes.

You can also fiddle around with abilities, feats and skills so that while one 1st level elf warrior might be an archer, another might be a sword 'n board, or a spear wielder. If you have the time you can make a wide variety of sample NPCs with different stat arrays and skill distributions to populate the dungeon with.

LansXero
2011-12-15, 02:25 PM
http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm
I like this one, although it take a bit to load.

killem2
2011-12-15, 02:55 PM
Wow, so much info in the DMG, I don't know how I missed that the first time. :smallsigh:

I will check this over first.

Zaq
2011-12-15, 03:45 PM
Warmages are my favorite non-major enemy casters, since they take like five minutes to make, and they're likely to be noticed without being encounter-ruining.

Terrible PC class. Great NPC class.

zanetheinsane
2011-12-20, 07:50 AM
Myth Weavers has a pretty simple and straight forward NPC generator (http://www.myth-weavers.com/generate_npc.php).

Another great source is to track down some of the WotC adventure modules and look in there. For example, you could sit around and make tons and tons of orcs or you could just steal all of the orcs from Sons of Gruumsh :smallbiggrin: