PDA

View Full Version : Imbue Arrow+Blizzard?

gomipile
2011-12-15, 02:03 PM
Blizzard is one of those weird spells that By RAW can never use their full area, since the area of an AoE cannot extend beyond the spell's range.

Now, say an elf druid dipped one level of an arcane casting class to qualify for Arcane Archer, and dipped 2 levels of that to get Imbue Arrow. Would this allow him to use the bow's maximum range to determine the maximum area the spell could cover?

Imbue Arrow says "This ability allows the archer to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range." so I'm leaning towards yes.

I know this is an inefficient and bad idea in a standard campaign, but I'm thinking it could be viable in gestalt if there is a big focus on large scale battles, for a battlefield controlling druid build. If the druid takes Far Shot, then a heavy crossbow would have a range of 1800 feet, allowing a level 9 gestalt druid with this combo to stand at the edge of a Blizzard and not have it cut off by maximum range.

molten_dragon
2011-12-15, 02:13 PM
Blizzard is one of those weird spells that By RAW can never use their full area, since the area of an AoE cannot extend beyond the spell's range.

Is that actually a rule? I've certainly never heard of it before. If so, then what's the point of a spell like Apocalypse from the Sky?

Piggy Knowles
2011-12-15, 02:18 PM
By my reading, yes! And, not only that, but Imbue Arrow will allow you to cast it as a standard action, instead of using its one round casting time.

I used this combo to good effect during an Iron Chef competition:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11663884&postcount=122

The Random NPC
2011-12-15, 02:29 PM
Range
A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted. Standard ranges include the following.

Yes it is a rule, but many people ignore it and just say that it defines the range of the origin.

Edit: I just looked at Apocalypse from the Sky, yeah, RAW you just sacrificed an artifact to do 10d6 regular damage, 4d6+1d3 WIS damage, and 3d6 CON damage to yourself.

molten_dragon
2011-12-15, 02:35 PM
Yes it is a rule, but many people ignore it and just say that it defines the range of the origin.

Huh, I guess you learn something new every day.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-12-15, 02:41 PM
IIRC one of the Divine Crusaders builds for the Iron Chef contests actually used this as it's core trick.