PDA

View Full Version : Off to Windy Valley without V

Fish
2011-12-15, 03:30 PM
There's got to be a reason why the Giant has separated V from the party, if temporarily, prior to their visiting Windy Valley. Who has a theory?

First, one question: is it windy (full of moving masses of air) or windy (twisting, turning, or maze-like)?

Theory 1: For the simple reason that V's magic won't be available.

Theory 2: Because something V has done would otherwise make the Windy Valley people upset (eg, deals with devils, familicide) or cooperative (eg, he's a fellow spellcaster, he left the message in the desert).

Theory 3: Because the IFCC would have access to the valley, via V's bargain.

Thoughts? Theories?

Peelee
2011-12-15, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking it's simply to neutralize V's magic power. Though with the trip taking two days, the party should have enough time to figure out how to get him to rejoin the group, maybe it was a way to get him off the hook for the battle he and Z engaged in - they arrested Z, and that was while Tarquin was still under the impression he was an ambassador/spy seeing about a possible alliance. Even if V were to remain free, he would likely have been held for questioning, so having him plane shifted conveniently removes him from any such problems.

Also, I'm thinking a gusty Windy Valley

rbetieh
2011-12-15, 04:21 PM
Wild speculation:

Tarquin has Nale and Z, so he can get exactly what happened to V and what planar coordinates to go looking for him, so Tarquin recovers V and gets him to fill in any blanks that Nale might have left... Its important for the Villains to capture and torture at least 1 member of the Hero group, and that hasnt happened yet....

factotum
2011-12-15, 05:30 PM
Seems to me it's simply most likely that Durkon doesn't have Plane Shift prepared* and so they CAN'T rescue V until tomorrow. Since it'll take them 2 days to get to Windy Canyon anyway, that doesn't seem like much of an issue.

* I mean, think about it--if he DID have the spell prepared, everyone would be on here asking why he'd prepared such a highly situational spell on what appeared to be a normal day!

Peelee
2011-12-15, 05:36 PM
Seems to me it's simply most likely that Durkon doesn't have Plane Shift prepared* and so they CAN'T rescue V until tomorrow. Since it'll take them 2 days to get to Windy Canyon anyway, that doesn't seem like much of an issue.

* I mean, think about it--if he DID have the spell prepared, everyone would be on here asking why he'd prepared such a highly situational spell on what appeared to be a normal day!

That makes perfect sense if this was a simple campaign being run, or if real life worked according to the OotS universe, but it's a story. Let's say Durkon had that spell prepared. He could call V back next strip. So why bother having V sent to the plane in the first place? Sure, it made a good joke, but other jokes could have been made that could also have fed the narrative structure. V's being plane-shifted would basically be a waste of an idea if it has absolutely no consequences (bad or good) whatsoever, and is simply fixed at the soonest possible convenience.

Zherog
2011-12-15, 05:54 PM
He can't "call V back" with plane shift. Durkon would have to go get him (via one casting of the spell), then cast it again to get back to the material plane. Also, note this tidbit from the spell:

Precise accuracy as to a particular arrival location on the intended plane is nigh impossible. From the Material Plane, you can reach any other plane, though you appear 5 to 500 miles (5d%) from your intended destination.

So Durkon certainly isn't going to pop into the plane right next to V then pop back to wherever the group happens to be at that time.

Also, plane shift requires a focus component - and the focus component is different for each plane. So Durkon would need to acquire the correct tuning fork for the plane of ranch dressing (and material, for that matter).

Peelee
2011-12-15, 06:01 PM
He can't "call V back" with plane shift. Durkon would have to go get him (via one casting of the spell), then cast it again to get back to the material plane. Also, note this tidbit from the spell:

So Durkon certainly isn't going to pop into the plane right next to V then pop back to wherever the group happens to be at that time.

Also, plane shift requires a focus component - and the focus component is different for each plane. So Durkon would need to acquire the correct tuning fork for the plane of ranch dressing (and material, for that matter).

Unless all of that is ignored for the purposes of the story. While I doubt plane shift would function differently, I do think the focus component would be overlooked, for instance.

Zherog
2011-12-15, 06:06 PM
Yep, I think the focus is easy enough to ignore, especially since it doesn't have any sort of intrinsic value. It just exists to be a pain in the ass for casters.

My point, though, was that it's not just a matter of Durkon casting the spell and V will appear next to them. It's way more intricate than that -- at least when using plane shift.

(And, for the "why would he have that prepared" question: I had a caster who kept one handy as an offensive spell, sending creatures to the Negative Energy plane is, effectively, a save or die spell. ;) )

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-15, 06:18 PM
Other possible reasons:

-Something involving Blackwing. (The party getting used to his presence?)
-Xykon will show up, and might recognize V which would do...something.
-To even things out with the Linear Guild.
-V casts Dismissal or gets a Plane Shift if you can't self-dismiss, and ends up somewhere the plot wants him/her to be (I'm thinking Gobbotopia to tie Team Peregrine into the main plot and because their wizard can teleport).
-To not clutter up the previous Tarquin exposition scene.
-Some kind of punchline.

brionl
2011-12-15, 07:29 PM

You need a Salad fork, duh. :smallbiggrin:
I don't think V will be stuck out there too long.

Fish
2011-12-15, 07:40 PM
I'm less interested in the intra-story-reason why Varsuvius was placed there (spell components, casting times, magic colleges) than the meta-story reason. Just as the main plot reappears and the group is on track for the nearest Draketooth, one character exits stage left. Why?

Here's a thought:

Clearly the IFCC knows he's there; it was the imp who taught Zzdr'it the coordinates. It may be that they're going to offer to rescue V... for a price. Or similarly, offer to take V over long enough to free him — and run a few errands while they're about it.

The Anti Hero
2011-12-15, 08:20 PM
I'd actually just like to observe something interesting. V isn't stuck in the Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing alone: he's with Yukyuk. Frankly, I'm curious about what their interaction--if any--will be like :smallamused:

Amarsir
2011-12-15, 09:48 PM
I've been thinking it's so V can come in to save everyone, although some of the theories presented here are compelling as well.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-15, 11:10 PM
I've been thinking it's so V can come in to save everyone
Isn't the Giant on record somewhere (DStP commentary?) that he wants to avoid such a thing?

Anarion
2011-12-15, 11:35 PM
Isn't the Giant on record somewhere (DStP commentary?) that he wants to avoid such a thing?

I don't think there's an explicit ban on V ever being the cavalry and saving the day. The Giant is on record as saying he dislikes that magic can solve every problem, and therefore endeavors to get V out of the way sometimes.

Also, regarding the focus, I think this is one of the rare cases where having the focus for plane shift probably is important. Qarr explicitly mentions here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html) that he gave Z the planar coordinates to the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing, which implies that without those coordinates it would be very difficult to reach the same place.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-15, 11:59 PM
Also, regarding the focus, I think this is one of the rare cases where having the focus for plane shift probably is important. Qarr explicitly mentions here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html) that he gave Z the planar coordinates to the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing, which implies that without those coordinates it would be very difficult to reach the same place.
V's on a not particularly dangerous plane (at least that we've seen), can prepare and cast Sending, has been seen, within this arc no less, to be able to prepare and cast Sending multiple times per day, and has nothing better to do with her actions. She could conceivably prepare it in all her fifth-level slots and just keep casting until one gets through the 5% miss chance. Once she's gotten through to the party she can give them her own planar coordinates. Or Blackwing could tell the party where V is, assuming he knows/can figure it out from watching Z cast and whatever emotions (vexation, creaminess disparagement) he gets through the empathic link.

Actually, V's predicament bears so many hallmarks of the temporary inconvenience that I would not be surprised the comic that cuts away from Tarquin and Nale explores what, besides the time needed to prepare new spells, will keep V where she is. Qarr could show up to tempt V again, taking advantage of Blackwing's absence. Yukyuk could break the Domination and turn on a V who is low on spells after the duel with Z.

Warren Dew
2011-12-16, 02:16 AM
I suspect it's just to remove Vaarsuvius' unbalancing power to make an upcoming battle more interesting.

Grogmir
2011-12-16, 07:13 AM
I suspect it's just to remove Vaarsuvius' unbalancing power to make an upcoming battle more interesting.

I agree. Think it'll be harder to get back from as its an obsure plane.

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-16, 09:53 AM
Besides which, the characters have forgotten party members before. :smallwink: See also: Durkon's solo adventure, Elan and the bandits (briefly), etc.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-12-16, 10:23 AM
Besides which, the characters have forgotten party members before. :smallwink: See also: Durkon's solo adventure, Elan and the bandits (briefly), etc.
Except in this case they know they don’t have V.

Eh, more room for them on the carpet. :smalltongue:

pendell
2011-12-16, 11:11 AM
I can think of a story reason to plane shift V.

It appears that we're heading towards a confrontation between the IFC's henchpeople and the OOTS.

Given that they will be fighting over a gate, doesn't it make sense for the IFC to play their 20-minutes-of-Vaarsuvius-life card?

How, then, can we have this climactic confrontation while preserving the V card for the ultimate final battle next book?

A simple answer is to not have him in the dramatic conclusion of THIS book. Hence the plane shift and an inability to retrieve V until the quest is complete and the IFC has no reason to activate V.

It also gives us time for yet another buddy adventure as V and the interchangeable kobold (I can never remember their names) go on a whacky sidequest through salad dressing land.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ron Miel
2011-12-16, 02:17 PM
Why did The giant write V being plane-shifted? I speculate he did it because :
1) It allowed V to win the battle against Z
2) without killing Z permanently
3) so that Z will return in a future strip.

I don't think that V's temporary absence will affect the story at all. He will cast Plane Shift tomorrow, and rejoin the party long before they reach Windy Canyon.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-16, 02:18 PM
V can't cast Plane Shift, period.

Ancalagon
2011-12-16, 03:30 PM

I bet he simply can rent out his soul again to solve that little issue. :smallbiggrin:

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-16, 03:37 PM
I bet he simply can rent out his soul again to solve that little issue. :smallbiggrin:
Who's to say she'd be pre-approved again? The IFCC determined that the time they had already was "more than sufficient for [their] purposes". The also sold the splices to V as a "once in a lifetime offer". I suppose they could go for it to further secure their plans or to keep up the ruse that they care about V's soul, but it's hardly automatic.

Doug Lampert
2011-12-16, 03:57 PM
(And, for the "why would he have that prepared" question: I had a caster who kept one handy as an offensive spell, sending creatures to the Negative Energy plane is, effectively, a save or die spell. ;) )

It's a two-fer, you can use it to escape yourself if there is anyplane where you'd be safe (and for a good cleric your deity's home plane should be fine). And you can also use it to get rid of enemies.

It's typically a reasonable spell to prepare, but as has been pointed out, using it to retrive V is non-trivial. Durkon casts, he somehow finds V on an unknown plane.

Imagine the sending conversation:
"Where are you?"
"I'm right here, where are you?"
"I'm on the elemental plane of ranch dressing to rescue you?"
"Goody. How did you plan to find me?"
"I don't know, you're the wizard!"
"Well you're the cleric, ask a god or something."

Then when they get back to the material plane the problems all repeat for finding the rest of the party.

You need to two Plane Shifts and two "Find out what direction and distance the rest of the other guy is" spells and two Windwalks or something similar to have a reasonable shot at bringing back V.

DougL

Ancalagon
2011-12-16, 04:18 PM
Who's to say she'd be pre-approved again? The IFCC determined that the time they had already was "more than sufficient for [their] purposes". The also sold the splices to V as a "once in a lifetime offer". I suppose they could go for it to further secure their plans or to keep up the ruse that they care about V's soul, but it's hardly automatic.

A) They lied a lot in that scene.
B) Vaarsuvius has no way of contacting them.
C) I wasn't serious.
D) Please consider possible meanings of smiling smileys and how they might influence rather silly-ish stuff that comes before them in the context of internet conversations. Especially consider the possibility shown in C).

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-16, 06:54 PM
Yes, V is pretty well out of the picture for quite a while. It will not be easy getting back.

Valyrian
2011-12-16, 07:33 PM
it was the imp who taught Zzdr'it the coordinates.
Is this part of your assumption, or was that established somewhere?

ORione
2011-12-16, 07:45 PM
Is this part of your assumption, or was that established somewhere?

Panel 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html)

I suppose he could be lying, but I doubt it.

Fish
2011-12-16, 07:47 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html

Spookymurloc
2011-12-16, 11:49 PM
I don't think Blackwing knows exactly which plane V is in, so he can't tell Durkon where to plane-shift to if Durkon were to try and rescue V anyway.

I don't know much about DnD rules, but I think they need to know more than just the name of the plane in order to plane shift there as well, yes?
(They could learn the name from V via sending, but don't they need the exact 'planar coordinates' to reach it?)

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-17, 01:34 AM
I don't know much about DnD rules, but I think they need to know more than just the name of the plane in order to plane shift there as well, yes?
(They could learn the name from V via sending, but don't they need the exact 'planar coordinates' to reach it?)
Possible methods for learning "planar coordinates" (which presumably means "the correct focus to use in the Plane Shift spell, since that's what determines on what plane you end up) include:

1. Communing with Thor. Unlike with the Gates, the Gods presumably haven't got a blackout on information about the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing. Unless Tiamat pulls a Tiger, which would rather tip her hand, Durkon could probably get the information he needs this way.
2. Asking the locals. Most would probably give a nonsensical "second star to the right, and straight on til morning" type answer, but someone might know something.
3. Research. Lord only knows what kind of information's in those books V carries around.
4. Sending to someone who might know. Presumably there's an Iron Mage of Conjuration knocking about the Elven Lands.
5. Interrogating Z. He thinks it's a different plane, but he's got the coordinates. In fact, so does Qarr. The imp might even be easier to contact (and bind, and question), if Blackwing can tell Durkon enough about him. This one can't really be done on the fly, but maybe Durkon could Call Qarr.

Spookymurloc
2011-12-17, 01:50 AM
Possible methods for learning "planar coordinates" (which presumably means "the correct focus to use in the Plane Shift spell, since that's what determines on what plane you end up) include:

1. Communing with Thor. Unlike with the Gates, the Gods presumably haven't got a blackout on information about the Semi-Elemental Plane of Ranch Dressing. Unless Tiamat pulls a Tiger, which would rather tip her hand, Durkon could probably get the information he needs this way.
2. Asking the locals. Most would probably give a nonsensical "second star to the right, and straight on til morning" type answer, but someone might know something.
3. Research. Lord only knows what kind of information's in those books V carries around.
4. Sending to someone who might know. Presumably there's an Iron Mage of Conjuration knocking about the Elven Lands.
5. Interrogating Z. He thinks it's a different plane, but he's got the coordinates. In fact, so does Qarr. The imp might even be easier to contact (and bind, and question), if Blackwing can tell Durkon enough about him. This one can't really be done on the fly, but maybe Durkon could Call Qarr.

Hmm, but these solutions would require enough time and energy to deter the group from attempting it before they get to Windy Canyon, since they beleive themselves to be racing Nale and the Linear Guild to the prize.

It's possible they could try Sending to V's master, but that would require them to listen to Blackwing, and it's possible the master wouldn't listen to them anyway, since he/she doesn't know them.
I don't think they know of anyone else who is capable of doing anything. (Roy's sister maybe?)

Thor is another possibility, but he seems relatively unreliable as a source of information/power based on his previous appearances :smalltongue:

I'm not familiar enough with how magic works in DnD to know whether or not they would be able to summon and bind Qarr, especially if they don't know Qarr personally and if Qarr might be unwilling to be summoned by them.
(I don't know whether those would have an affect on it or not, just guessing.)

Boogastreehouse
2011-12-17, 06:18 AM
There's got to be a reason why the Giant has separated V from the party, if temporarily, prior to their visiting Windy Valley. Who has a theory?

Yes, the narrative may benefit from V's absence, but that is not a reason that explains Z's actions. The Giant is really good about providing compelling reasons for his character's actions, reasons that stem from in-story motivations, not just as flimsy plot-furthering mechanisms. The Giant may have decided that he wanted V separated from the party, but I prefer to focus on why Z banished Vaarsuvius, not why Rich banished Vaarsuvius.

I have found, during my years of playing D&D, that wizards, because they can posses such unbalancing power, are often the targets of spells that can remove the from the fight. Sometimes it's easier to remove a wizard in some fashion than it is to kill them.

This is all to say, that I think that Z had this spell prepared with Vaarsuvius in mind so he could a)banish V to a plane of torture once he had rubbed his victory in V's face, or 2)so he could use it as a last-ditch effort should the fight go against him (it did, so he did).

Z probably did not use this spell so that an upcoming battle in Windy Valley would be more interesting.

I know this is just a fun discussion about what might be coming up next in the story, but over the years this forum has really made me tired of phrases like "plot-armor" or "hand-wave." Rich writes well. His characters don't get separated because they need to be absent during the next part of the story, they get separated because they, and their enemies, make choices consistent with their established natures.

It just takes some of the fun away to continually have people point out that this or that happened because the plot demanded it.

What I want to know is why Z had planned to use Plane Shift on V. Plane Shift requires a will save, so V had good odds of negating it. I suspect that Z had really planned on using it on Haley (with her bad will save), in the event that the Petrification Spell failed to remove her from the fight. He only used it on V as a last-ditch effort.

Ron Miel
2011-12-17, 07:26 AM

How come? Why is he unable?

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-17, 08:02 AM
Conjuration is one of his/her barred schools. That's kinda the whole reason why V can't teleport and why s/he got a conjurer as one of the spliced souls.

CloakedDancer
2011-12-17, 09:53 AM
Yes, the narrative may benefit from V's absence, but that is not a reason that explains Z's actions. The Giant is really good about providing compelling reasons for his character's actions, reasons that stem from in-story motivations, not just as flimsy plot-furthering mechanisms. The Giant may have decided that he wanted V separated from the party, but I prefer to focus on why Z banished Vaarsuvius, not why Rich banished Vaarsuvius.

I have found, during my years of playing D&D, that wizards, because they can posses such unbalancing power, are often the targets of spells that can remove the from the fight. Sometimes it's easier to remove a wizard in some fashion than it is to kill them.

This is all to say, that I think that Z had this spell prepared with Vaarsuvius in mind so he could a)banish V to a plane of torture once he had rubbed his victory in V's face, or 2)so he could use it as a last-ditch effort should the fight go against him (it did, so he did).

Z probably did not use this spell so that an upcoming battle in Windy Valley would be more interesting.

I know this is just a fun discussion about what might be coming up next in the story, but over the years this forum has really made me tired of phrases like "plot-armor" or "hand-wave." Rich writes well. His characters don't get separated because they need to be absent during the next part of the story, they get separated because they, and their enemies, make choices consistent with their established natures.

It just takes some of the fun away to continually have people point out that this or that happened because the plot demanded it.

What I want to know is why Z had planned to use Plane Shift on V. Plane Shift requires a will save, so V had good odds of negating it. I suspect that Z had really planned on using it on Haley (with her bad will save), in the event that the Petrification Spell failed to remove her from the fight. He only used it on V as a last-ditch effort.

If Z planned to use it on Haley, and only used it on V as a "last-ditch effort", then why did Qarr specifically tell Blackwing that he gave Z the coordinates himself, coordinates that misled Z into sending V someplace safe instead of harmful? That certainly seemed to make it sound like the Plane Shift being used against V was planned ahead, since Qarr made an effort to manipulate Z into getting rid of V... just not in the manner Z had hoped for.

Jay R
2011-12-17, 10:15 AM
1. They can't get to Windy Valley without V. They will wind up in a windy alley.

2. V can't return straight to Windy Valley. But there is probably a simple connection between the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing and Hidden Valley

The Pilgrim
2011-12-17, 10:44 AM

Plus, the OOTS doesn't know what plane V has been sent to.

The crow raven bird knows that V has been plane shifted because he saw it, and knows that she has been sent to a safe place because Qarr told him:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html

However... First panel, Blackwing states that he doesn't knows where V has been sent. Qarr tells him it's somewere "safe" and pops off in the second panel, without giving out more details.

It's highly improbable that the OOTS can guess that V is in a Plane as improbable as "Raunch Dressing". Probably they don't even know that such a plane exists at all. Ok they can rule out the Demiplane of Extremely Intense Torture, but that's about it.

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-17, 12:39 PM
"Raunch Dressing" .... :smallbiggrin:

My theory is, the IFCC or whatever they're called want V alive, and they knew that Z was gunning for him. So, to prevent Z from killing V if he won, they gave an even "better" alternative -- sending the hated surface world elf the Demiplane of Torture or whatever.

In other words, it was there because Qarr talked Z into it so as to keep V alive for the Three Fiends' purposes.

Peelee
2011-12-17, 01:02 PM

.....excellent point. The only thing that makes me wonder on this is, if you're focusing on the character reasoning solely (which I think I might try to do now. I already don't much care for most of the theories spouting around, and much prefer to enjoy the ride and be surprised at whatever twists and turns come up, instead of paying more attention to trying to figure out when and what they'll be), I'm rather surprised you haven't hit upon it already. And of course, because this is not 1000% cut-and-dried, this is only my reading of the situation, but I fully believe it's entirely accurate.

Z was going to die. V is not a happy, goody-goody "once the enemy is neutralized, commence capture" person. Z's power over V was that Z studied him, knew how he operated, and that was why V was getting so thoroughly thrashed before he realized he was still acting like his old, magic-above-all-else self. Z knows V very, very well, and would know that surrender would not be an option. It was a duel to the death, a death Z was more than happy to deliver, considering how the last fight with V went. The plane shift to the demiplane of torture might have been only one of two plane shifts prepared, as insult and injury to V, who could not escape due to conjuration being banned. Z could have kept V there for hours, or even weeks or months, before retrieving him and then dealing the killing blow. There's a good chance Z might have planned to have kept V there for the same amount of time that Z was banished from the comic, as a bit of poetic (in)justice. And just in case Z was losing, it provided more than enough of a last-ditch backup plan, again because V cannot get back on his own. With his consciousness fading and V primed to keep pressing the attack, it was one of the only things he could have done to save his life and still win the battle (remember, he thinks it's a demiplane of torture, so while he falls unconscious, V is still sent to a plane of eternal suffering). He could have plane-shifted himself away, but that would not have solved the V-problem, while plane-shifting V does.

EDIT: I'm adding "genre savviness" to the top of that list of hated phrases being thrown around, because every time I see it mentioned, it somehow is used to mean "omniscient, infallible god-power."

Boogastreehouse
2011-12-17, 01:13 PM
1. They can't get to Windy Valley without V. They will wind up in a windy alley.

2. V can't return straight to Windy Valley. But there is probably a simple connection between the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing and Hidden Valley

I see what you did there...

EDIT: I'm adding "genre savviness" to the top of that list of hated phrases being thrown around, because every time I see it mentioned, it somehow is used to mean "omniscient, infallible god-power."

Agreed.

ChowGuy
2011-12-17, 01:42 PM
You need a Salad fork, duh. :smallbiggrin:
I don't think V will be stuck out there too long.

Wait, was that an Erfworld reference? Let's hope V keeps an eye out. Or not out, as the case may be.

And while we]re on the subject of genre saviness, obscure references, and/or bad puns

First, one question: is it windy (full of moving masses of air) or windy (twisting, turning, or maze-like)?

Dunno, but either way it should be an opportunity for someone (Elan) to slip in a remark about "a maze of twisty little tunnels, all alike."

Fish
2011-12-19, 01:12 PM
Getting Vaarsuvius off-stage may have nothing at all to do with Windy Valley's residents, Girard, or V's magic. It may simply be a way to keep V out of sight of the one guy we know is going to show up there sooner or later:

Xykon.

It's very probable that although Xykon fails to recall Roy, he (and for that matter, Redcloak too) will not easily forget the almost-epic elf mage who popped in, assisted O-Chul's escape, made off with the phylactery, and escaped Xykon's clutches while paralyzed. No, Xykon can more easily disregard the Order with Vaarsuvius absent.

Spookymurloc
2011-12-19, 02:14 PM
Getting Vaarsuvius off-stage may have nothing at all to do with Windy Valley's residents, Girard, or V's magic. It may simply be a way to keep V out of sight of the one guy we know is going to show up there sooner or later:

Xykon.

It's very probable that although Xykon fails to recall Roy, he (and for that matter, Redcloak too) will not easily forget the almost-epic elf mage who popped in, assisted O-Chul's escape, made off with the phylactery, and escaped Xykon's clutches while paralyzed. No, Xykon can more easily disregard the Order with Vaarsuvius absent.

I thought each of the souls spliced with V was that of an epic caster of some description?
If so, wouldn't that make V the double-epic elf mage who popped in, assisted O'chul's escape, made of with the phylactery, and escaped Xykon's clutches while paralyzed?
(Although I think Xykon blamed O-Chul more than V for all that went down)

Fish
2011-12-19, 09:29 PM
Other possibilities:

Removing V from the Prime Material Plane means the party has to acknowledge the existence of Blackwing. It would subsequently be possible for V to tell the party what the raven saw in the rift.

snikrept
2011-12-20, 02:16 AM
I too am hoping for some strips centering on The Hilarious Adventures of Vaarsuvius and YukYuk !

Adama
2011-12-20, 05:07 AM
Unless all of that is ignored for the purposes of the story. While I doubt plane shift would function differently, I do think the focus component would be overlooked, for instance.

Remember the previous times we've seen Plane Shift used: Qarr and Sabine both have regularly used it for highly accurate travel between the normal and lower planes, to within a few feet.

Peelee
2011-12-20, 11:38 AM
Remember the previous times we've seen Plane Shift used: Qarr and Sabine both have regularly used it for highly accurate travel between the normal and lower planes, to within a few feet.

True, but if I remember correctly, they also knew exactly where they wanted to go when they shifted, not merely which plane. I could be completely wrong on this, of course

Fish
2011-12-20, 03:47 PM
It would be hilarious if Vaarsuvius is rescued from the Plane of Ranch Dressing by
the process server who gave him the divorce papers.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-20, 04:15 PM
It would be hilarious if Vaarsuvius is rescued from the Plane of Ranch Dressing by
the process server who gave him the divorce papers.
Why on earth would he do such a thing? V bludgeoned him half to death and boasted about it.

It should be pointed out that Qarr is comspicuously absent from the team photo of Linear Guild 4.0.

Fish
2011-12-20, 04:19 PM
You said it yourself: V attacked him. Assault charges could be forthcoming.

Ron Miel
2011-12-21, 05:40 AM
It should be pointed out that Qarr is comspicuously absent from the team photo of Linear Guild 4.0.

He's only visible when Z acknowledges him.

Bulldog Psion
2011-12-21, 05:51 AM
Well, it occurs to me that since V is a potential pawn of the IFCC, they're going to pull out all stops to get him back in the action if there's going to be a chance that there's a fight for a Gate coming up soon.

After all, they want the Gates, too.

That's because he's off reporting on the situation to his masters. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0804.html

Toxinthegreat
2011-12-26, 03:41 AM
Panel 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0803.html)

I suppose he could be lying, but I doubt it.

He wouldn't lie, he is a Lawful Evil being. He witholds the truth, not outright lies.
Edit: But he did lie to Z about the plane co-ordinates.
I am guessing that when Qarr reports to the IFCC they will tell him to go get V back, due to their plan (Somehow) Involving V. Let's just wait and see how this plays out...

Adicted To
2011-12-26, 09:23 AM
Qarr works for the IFCC. If they tell him to lie to Z about plannar coördinates he will do it becouse he is more loyal to the IFCC than to Z.

Lawfull doesn't mean someone won't lie.

SoD spoiler alert: (only example I could recal.)
Roy's father also lied about how he met uncle Myrtok. So lawfull creatures can lie. "Yes, I spun an intrecate web of lies."

Icedaemon
2011-12-26, 09:31 AM

The IFCC will not make the deal, sure, but that elf does not need an epic-level caster right now. Any conjurer powerful enough to cast plane shift will do. Selling a soul to a mid-ranking fiend could probably get that.

zimmerwald1915
2011-12-26, 12:24 PM
The IFCC will not make the deal, sure, but that elf does not need an epic-level caster right now. Any conjurer powerful enough to cast plane shift will do. Selling a soul to a mid-ranking fiend could probably get that.
Could such "mid-ranking fiends" be considered "duly-appointed representatives of [their] respective planar domains"? The IFCC implies (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html) that only such duly-appointed fiends can initate a Soul Splice, and that such accreditations are rare. Qarr certainly didn't know what a Soul Splice was, though one would not imagine him to be "mid-ranking" at the time, or even now. In addition, contacting a mid-ranking devil, like Qarr's old boss (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0631.html), takes about an hour (and that's when you have an imp helping you deliver the application request) and involves filling out a lengthy application at the end of that hour, which application may or may not be processed. If V has the patience for that, and I'm not sure she does, she has the patience to wait for Durkon.

Gift Jeraff
2011-12-26, 12:40 PM
Qarr works for the IFCC. If they tell him to lie to Z about plannar coördinates he will do it becouse he is more loyal to the IFCC than to Z.

Lawfull doesn't mean someone won't lie.

SoD spoiler alert: (only example I could recal.)
Roy's father also lied about how he met uncle Myrtok. So lawfull creatures can lie. "Yes, I spun an intrecate web of lies."I think he means Lawful being as in a being literally made of Law, such as a devil. But still, Director Lee lied to V about the ridiculous alternative, so even creatures made of Law (and Evil) can lie.

Kish
2011-12-26, 12:43 PM
And, as already noted, Qarr lied to Zz'dtri about where the coordinates went to. He believes in order; that doesn't mean he doesn't lie freely.

Adicted To
2011-12-26, 05:53 PM
I think he means Lawful being as in a being literally made of Law, such as a devil. But still, Director Lee lied to V about the ridiculous alternative, so even creatures made of Law (and Evil) can lie.

That's what I said, only with an example.

How do you know Director Lee lied?

Toxinthegreat
2011-12-26, 06:19 PM
I think Lawful evil beings can lie, but they generally only do it when it's convenient for them. (Like 95% of the Human Race IRL)