PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian build help.

GeekGirl
2011-12-15, 04:38 PM
Greetings all, a friend of on of my gaming group is visiting from out of town and i need to roll a character up for him. He wants to play a " Half-orc. Very intimidating, and very strong." with some type of large mace. I first instinct would be a warblade, but we already have one.
The group is made up of :
Hammer wielding barbarian/warblade charger
Druid (very new player)
Unarmed Swordsage
Cleric/Cusader
Mindbender/buffing Wizard

We are level 9, and I really am not sure what to suggest for him, any ideas?

Edit: Pretty much any material except home brewed is allowed, third party pending DM approval.

Aegis013
2011-12-15, 04:58 PM
How about a Hulking Hurler? From the miniature's handbook?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 05:04 PM
Races of Destiny is where the half-orc support is. (I believe there's a racial feat in RoD that gives half-orcs a +4 bonus to Intimidate checks, but I'm not sure)

If he wants "very strong", there is only one choice, and that is the Frenzied Berserker prestige class from Complete Warrior, which will give him +10 untyped Strength and a haste effect that stacks with his rage.

Also, have him take the Reckless Rage feat (it's in Races of Stone, for some strange reason) for extra Strength.

If he wants to be "very strong", you should probably suggest he play an actual orc instead of a half-orc. He'd be 8 feet tall instead of 7, and have a +4 racial bonus to Strength instead of +2.

There is an intimidation-based half-orc prestige class in Races of Destiny. Don't have him take it. Instead, have him look at the picture, which features an incredibly well-drawn half-orc warrior wielding a deadly heavy maul, in what I can only describe as the best representation of a half-orc WotC has ever drawn.

Hope all this helps!

gbprime
2011-12-15, 05:07 PM
Large mace?

What about a Three Mountains build? (weapon style from Complete Warrior) It's one of the things that makes a straight fighter viable when there's a Warblade around.

Fighter 1 - Power Attack, Cleave
Fighter 2 - Weapon Focus
Fighter 3 - Close Quarters Fighting
Fighter 4 - Weapon Specialization
Fighter 5
Fighter 6 - Improved Bull Rush, Three Mountains

Continuing on as Fighter after this point is only useful if you want Melee Weapon Mastery at level 8. (And if not, you can skip Weapon Spec as well, since damage done doesn't affect the 3 mountains saves.) Otherwise, Barbarian for the STR boost that will up the save DC vs the 3 Mountains hits.

Don't forget to enlarge him in combat and pick up Combat Reflexes and Robilar's Gambit by 12th.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 05:13 PM
Melee Weapon Mastery does not have a Fighter Level prerequisite. It only requires +8 BAB, Weapon Spec, and Weapon Focus. You don't need Fighter 8.

Incriptus
2011-12-15, 05:14 PM
I don't have my reference books with me but perhaps use the Exotic Weapon Prof [War Mace] It's a D12 damage one handed weapon. Take 1 Level of Exotic Weapon Master with Uncanny Blow, so he can add two times his strength modifier when wielding it 2-Handed.

GeekGirl
2011-12-15, 05:37 PM
Awesome, you guys are the best ^_^

How about a Hulking Hurler? From the miniature's handbook?

Is there an easy way to qualify as large for this? Will he loose the benefits of this if he becomes medium?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 06:07 PM
Is there an easy way to qualify as large for this? Will he loose the benefits of this if he becomes medium?

Sure. You cast enlarge person and get someone to cast permanency on it. It costs like 4000 gp total if you go by the PHB services chart. (2500 gp for the XP cost, then you calculate the caster level you want and stuff).

And yes, if he stops qualifying for his prestige class at any moment, he loses all benefits of the class until he qualifies again.

Snowbluff
2011-12-15, 06:17 PM
Uneathed Arcana, Half-Orc paragon gives more Rage per day. And some Str. Then you can take levels in Human or Orc Paragons.