PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Rage (3.5 Feats, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 09:25 PM
I know people make classes for this all the time, but I don't understand that. So I'm going to make a feat, since it seems to me that a barbarian who put enough training and resources into his mind should be able to break the "No Spells while Raging" rule

Mystic Rage
Prerequisites: Rage class feature, able to cast 1st level spells
Benefit: You may cast spells while you are raging. You may also use the Concentration skill while you are raging, but only to use the Cast Defensively option, or to maintain a spell after taking damage. This feat does not allow you to use metamagic feats while raging.
Normal: A barbarian without the Mystic Rage feat is unable to cast spells or use the Concentration skill while raging.

Bardic Rage
Prerequisites: Rage class feature, Bardic Music class feature, Mystic Rage
Benefit: Your bard levels stack with your barbarian levels for determining the number of times you may rage per day, as well as the amount of power your rage bestows (Your bard levels stack with your barbarian levels to determine if you have the greater rage or mighty rage class features)

Your barbarian levels stack with your bard levels for determining the number of bardic musics you have per day, as well as how high the bonus of your Inspire Courage class feature is.

Additionally, while you are raging, you add your barbarian levels to your bard caster level, but this cannot exceed your HD.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-12-15, 10:30 PM
I'm dubious about the second part of Bardic Rage, but apart from that, I see no major problem.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 10:44 PM
I'm dubious about the second part of Bardic Rage, but apart from that, I see no major problem.

Why? It's like Practiced Spellcaster, and it doesn't stack with Practiced Spellcaster, but it's specific to a barbarian/bard combo. (I'll add a note about it only applying to your bard caster level though)

Grod_The_Giant
2011-12-15, 10:58 PM
Why? It's like Practiced Spellcaster, and it doesn't stack with Practiced Spellcaster, but it's specific to a barbarian/bard combo. (I'll add a note about it only applying to your bard caster level though)

It's better than Practiced Spellcaster, since it's potentially +19 instead of +4. Sure, it's only during a rage, but those pretty much last all of combat. And Practiced Spellcaster is an entirely separate feat that's often worth taking all by itself, while this also stacks a bunch of other things.

My suggestion would be to move the caster level stacking to a feat of its own, and leave Bardic Rage on its own-- the ability stacking is quite good enough on its own.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-15, 11:07 PM
It's better than Practiced Spellcaster, since it's potentially +19 instead of +4. Sure, it's only during a rage, but those pretty much last all of combat. And Practiced Spellcaster is an entirely separate feat that's often worth taking all by itself, while this also stacks a bunch of other things.

My suggestion would be to move the caster level stacking to a feat of its own, and leave Bardic Rage on its own-- the ability stacking is quite good enough on its own.

Yes, but it only works for two specific classes, instead of for any casting class. And also, have you seen the bardic spell list? Not many spells are that useful in combat, and many of them don't use caster level for anything except duration.

BelGareth
2011-12-15, 11:21 PM
GAHHH I love your homebrew!

I will be using this in my Epic Tristalt build with your Fire PRC as well.

Coidzor
2011-12-15, 11:33 PM
Mmm, Bardbarians would actually work a lot better and be more popular with this.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-15, 11:38 PM
Here, NeoSeraphi, have one more to add to the list:

Divine Rage
Prerequisites: ability to rage, ability to turn or rebuke dead, Mystic Rage
Benefits: Your Cleric levels stack with your Barbarian levels for determining the number of times you may rage per day, as well as the amount of power your rage bestows (Your Cleric levels stack with your Barbarian levels to determine if you have the greater rage or mighty rage class features)

Your Barbarian levels stack with your Cleric levels to determine how strong undead you can turn or rebuke.

Additionally, while you are raging, you add your Barbarian levels to your divine caster level, but this cannot exceed your HD.

I'm contemplating how to make a feat that lets you have both levels in Barbarian and Paladin. I'll get back to you on this when I figure out how it would work.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-12-16, 12:01 AM
Yes, but it only works for two specific classes, instead of for any casting class. And also, have you seen the bardic spell list? Not many spells are that useful in combat, and many of them don't use caster level for anything except duration.

Fair point about duration, but combat useful spells? How about Tasha's Hideous Laughter? Blindness/Deafness? Hold Person? Grease?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-16, 12:06 AM
Here, NeoSeraphi, have one more to add to the list:

Holy Rage
Prerequisites: ability to rage, ability to turn dead, Mystic Rage
Benefits: Your Cleric levels stack with your Barbarian levels for determining the number of times you may rage per day, as well as the amount of power your rage bestows (Your Cleric levels stack with your Barbarian levels to determine if you have the greater rage or mighty rage class features)

Your Barbarian levels stack with your Cleric levels to determine how many times per day you may turn undead, as well as your Cleric level to determine how strong undead you can turn.

Additionally, while you are raging, you add your Barbarian levels to your divine caster level, but this cannot exceed your HD.

I'm contemplating how to make a feat that lets you have both levels in Barbarian and Paladin. I'll get back to you on this when I figure out how it would work.

Your cleric level has nothing to do with how many times per day you turn undead. :smallconfused: If it did, DMM clerics would be UNBELIEVABLY overpowered :smalleek:'

Also, your feat excludes evil clerics. Why?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-16, 12:08 AM
Fair point about duration, but combat useful spells? How about Tasha's Hideous Laughter? Blindness/Deafness? Hold Person? Grease?

And what does increasing your CL have to do with any of those, other than increasing them a few rounds, by which time the character would have already died because you're a barbarian attacking someone who's paralyzed or prone?

GAHHH I love your homebrew!

If only you said "I love Seraphi Homebrew", I could have added that to my sig. :smallbiggrin:

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-16, 12:31 AM
Your cleric level has nothing to do with how many times per day you turn undead. :smallconfused: If it did, DMM clerics would be UNBELIEVABLY overpowered :smalleek:'

Also, your feat excludes evil clerics. Why?

You're right, I shall edit the feat accordingly so it says it only adds to how powerful an undead you can turn.

As for why it's only good, I don't see anywhere where it says you must be good. Did I miss something? :smallconfused:

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-16, 12:32 AM
You're right, I shall edit the feat accordingly so it says it only adds to how powerful an undead you can turn.

As for why it's only good, I don't see anywhere where it says you must be good. Did I miss something? :smallconfused:

Evil clerics can't turn undead. They rebuke undead.

Edit: By the way, I have a feat "Righteous Fury" in my sig that combines barbarians and paladins. So you don't need to make that one.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-16, 12:38 AM
Ahhhhh. OK, so I didn't specify. I meant they could, but I only stated turning. I can see how that could be misconstrued. Will edit now.

DeAnno
2011-12-16, 12:47 AM
For the Diamond Mind enthusiasts, and skillmonkey types mainly :smallsmile:

Focused Rage
Prerequisites: Rage Class Feature
Benefit: You can use all of your skills normally while raging, and can also use the Combat Expertise feat if you have it. In addition, choose one skill; it becomes a Barbarian class skill for you.

Coidzor
2011-12-16, 12:57 AM
Evil clerics can't turn undead. They rebuke undead.

The way things are worded generally, turning can refer to the overarching ability to influence undead via channeled energy, but clarification is always better.

What with there being some items that increase effective turning that work for rebuking.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-16, 12:58 AM
The way things are worded generally, turning can refer to the overarching ability to influence undead via channeled energy, but clarification is always better.

What with there being some items that increase effective turning that work for rebuking.

Just because WotC words things generally doesn't mean that us homebrewers have to stoop to that level.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-16, 01:17 AM
Anyways, if y'all want to take a look, it's all updated to be NeoSeraphi compliant in quality. Also renamed, because I have issues with an Evil character taking a "holy" ability.

BelGareth
2011-12-16, 01:48 AM
And what does increasing your CL have to do with any of those, other than increasing them a few rounds, by which time the character would have already died because you're a barbarian attacking someone who's paralyzed or prone?

If only you said "I love Seraphi Homebrew", I could have added that to my sig. :smallbiggrin:

GAAAHHH, I love Seraphi Homebrew!

:smallwink:

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-16, 01:52 AM
And BelGareth makes 3! :smallbiggrin:

Feel free to browse through my homebrewer signature for all kinds of epic stuff. If you see something you like that's a dead thread, PM some PEACH! I really enjoy reading feedback, so don't let the date stop you.

motionmatrix
2011-12-16, 11:13 AM
Can a vocal (non instrumental bard) use his bardic music while raging? I do not have access to my books at the moment and I am not sure of the answer.

If the answer is no, then can your Bardic Rage feat allow it or be a prerequisite for a feat that does?

This may be a complete moot point, and I am sorry if it is.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-16, 11:25 AM
Can a vocal (non instrumental bard) use his bardic music while raging? I do not have access to my books at the moment and I am not sure of the answer.

If the answer is no, then can your Bardic Rage feat allow it or be a prerequisite for a feat that does?

This may be a complete moot point, and I am sorry if it is.

He can't use songs that require concentration, such as fascinate or inspire competence, but he can use inspire courage and the others that don't require concentration.

Cieyrin
2011-12-17, 11:32 AM
Eh, I don't much care for Barbarian casters casting defensively, as raging is all about throwing caution to the wind to crush your enemies, drive them before you and hear the lamentations of their loved ones. What if, instead, you add your Barbarian class level to the Concentration check if you get hit while casting, as your rage girds you against pain? I'd also steal the 'activate IC as a swift' from Song of the White Raven for Bardic Rage.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 03:26 PM
Eh, I don't much care for Barbarian casters casting defensively, as raging is all about throwing caution to the wind to crush your enemies, drive them before you and hear the lamentations of their loved ones. What if, instead, you add your Barbarian class level to the Concentration check if you get hit while casting, as your rage girds you against pain? I'd also steal the 'activate IC as a swift' from Song of the White Raven for Bardic Rage.

Considering Concentration is not a class skill for barbarians, you'd simply be upping your Concentration check to the maximum for your level. Also, the rage doesn't guard you against the pain, you still take full damage...

Considering the nature of most bardic spells (illusions and enchantments), I think that a bardbarian would be more interested in casting defensively than yelling "Celestial Tree Sloth Attack!" while standing right in front of someone and getting hit for it.

As for the activate IC as a swift action, I think that's too many abilities for one gestalting feat. The higher caster level was already pushing it, so I figure you can just IC your first turn, then wait a round before charging in. After all, IC has no limit on its duration.

LibrarianHuntar
2012-01-30, 12:53 PM
Is your brain for sale? Mine just broke, and you apear to have ten of them.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-30, 12:56 PM
Is your brain for sale? Mine is broken, and you apear to have ten of them.

Sorry. Final Fantasy XIII-2 preordered my brain. It's arriving tomorrow, and FF XIII-2 expects to be using my brain for the next two weeks straight, at least. After that, you might be able to borrow it. :smalltongue:

LibrarianHuntar
2012-01-31, 11:16 AM
Sorry. Final Fantasy XIII-2 preordered my brain. It's arriving tomorrow, and FF XIII-2 expects to be using my brain for the next two weeks straight, at least. After that, you might be able to borrow it. :smalltongue:
How about a tissue sample of the brain, made legal through the limited part cloning act of 2973 after the Evenson Case? Then I can clone your brain but also fuse it with mine, and if it doesn't querltiate from the pure chaos force inside of it then I'll switch my origanal for it.