PDA

View Full Version : Help building a villainous quartet

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-15, 09:43 PM
In my RL game, I have a group of four main villains who are secretly running everything. Though other groups may at the moment be threatening our heroes, these four are the ones moving the pieces to accomplish their goals.

What the players think is happening

The small kingdom where the PCs have started is currently in civil war. The old king died, and his line of succession is in dispute. Should his capable brother rule, even though he most likely killed the old king, or should the benevolent and beloved son of the old king rule, even though he is too young to be ruler? Each side has many powerful military houses on their side, and these houses have marshaled powerul private armies.

What they're doing

They are trying to destabilize the surrounding kingdoms (as many countries as can be managed) and find the five parts of an artifact known as the "Astral Key". An old party of adventurers came to possess the key many years ago, and each of them took a piece to hide. Currently, the villains have one of the retired adventurers (the cleric), but cannot remove the key-piece from around his neck until he allows it, willingly. Arawn (see below) welcomes the challenge to do it mundanely.

What they'll do one they have it

The key opens a vault in which is sealed a being known as the "Heir who lost". She was once mortal, but fought with her sibling over who would inherit the crown. A contest was held, and she lost it, banished from the kingdom. She raised an army and struck back at her mother's kingdom, and in the process struck at an ancient wellspring of magic, causing fractures in her people's nature, creating different mortal races. Though she was destroyed, a shade remained, and was sealed years later when it gathered strength once more and had to be defeated by a holy order. This order placed her shade in the vault to contain her, but a cult formed around her worship, and the aforementioned adventurers (as ignorant of the holy order's war as the order was of the identity of the shade) defeated the cult and took their artifact for breaking the vault . . . blah blah, see above.

The group has a two fold objective therefore, to both free the heir and prepare the world to either accept her, or be destroyed.

The four are:

Arawn Lugus
Half-shadow dragon Shadar-kai graveknight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/graveknight-template) hellknight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight)

Known as the "Dread Rider of Carovoch", he's always encased in armour. He recruited the other three, having suffered maddening visions since he became undead. He hopes that, if he can no longer be the hero he once was in the new world the heir creates, he can at least finally die and be at peace. Though seeming to be bulky and loud, he is the only one applying direct pressure to several key players to get them to co-operate, and can move unseen in the shadows when he desires.

Clarahd Amaluaki Undlin’auvrearea
Grey elf factotum/swashbuckler/iaijutsu master

Posing as a doctor currently, he has lived many different lives (not really, but he's long lived, so humans don't remember), sometimes a bandit, sometimes a churchman, sometimes even ruling small patches of wilderness as a baron, always with his companion Wza'hei (a black etergaunt invisible to all but him) at his side. Ever since he was young, and first encountered the aberration, he has been able to understand its language, and the two have capriciously sought to bring about a cataclysm, never investing long in any one plan. This cabal that he was recruited for is simply the most promising in a long line of failed plans. However, he plans to replace one of the others with his daughter at the earliest convienience.

Kyra and Persephone
were-dire polar bear lady human knight and half-fey human warlock/shou disciple/fist of the forest
They both grew up in an orphanage together. The larger and stronger Kyra, her lycanthropic blood not yet manifesting, protected the shy and waif-like Persephone. When adulthood came, the two went their separate ways, Kyra to become a soldier, and Persephone to remain behind in the city, falling in as an enforcer for various gangs. Kyra found something of madness in her mercenary work, and Persephone lost her limbs to vicious attacks by rival gangs, having them replaced with mechanical replicas that brought her to favour close combat over her previous shunning of contact.

Kyra eventually returned to her close friend, and the two came to never be separated, Persephone now protecting the mentally fragile Kyra. When Arawn came to offer the two a chance to join his cabal, needing strong warriors to press forward the final steps of his plan, they accepted, wanting to ensure a better world for each other.

Notes about world if anyone cares
Elves that live in a caste-based system, with grey elf priests at the top, followed by high elf warriors, star elf (along with sea and winged) commoners, wild elf and wood elf slaves and the outcast (and embittered) dark elves. Elven gods are merely powerful figures from their history, exalted to divinity after death.
Dwarves that are sea-faring and ship-builders, fighting underwater races instead of orcs and goblins. Heavy armour still stays, but they are aware of the limitations it puts on their survival in water, so only the most rich wear it, as they can afford modifications and special craftsmenship to make the armour less heavy or more water-friendly. (changes to racial enemy, craft bonus and stonecunning, racial enemy now aquatic creatures, dodge bonus against dragons, and remove reference to stone, replace with wood)
Gnomes that take the dwarves place as masters of rock, earth and stone, ruling both hill and mountain, a xenophobic and untrusting race that when forced out into the world, adopts a facade of geniality and friendliness to confuse and mislead others. (racial enemies now changed to reptilian humanoids, dodge still giants)
Halflings that are the great keepers of magical lore, but instead of it being a written history stored in books and keep in towers, it is an oral history, one that reveals secrets of the oldest artifacts and the most ancient of heroes, but only if you can find someone who knows that particular story. Although underneath they appear similar, they dress in heavy masks and have floating sigils around their heads.
Orcs that live in the north and organize themselves into mercenary houses, selling entire clans as additional fighting forces to the greedy and warring humans to the south. A strict code of honour binds them to their employers, and they just as often go to war with other clans as the enemies of their employers.
Goblinoids as the great originators of democracy and republics as a system of government. The three monster manual goblinoids are all as smart as humans overall, so they could easily make a society that wasn't grubbing and war-based. Plus I liked the idea of all the other races still being more authoritarian in their governments, but the goblins have democracy.
Reptilian humanoids (kobolds, lizardfolk, trogs) are inappropriate to the game, as they take the place of what orcs and goblinoids are supposed to be in normal 3.5 (monstrous raiders, eat humans, hate civilized races)
Changelings (and other shapechangers) have been hunted to near extinction.
Raptoran and Goliaths are not playable as PC races (they are totally evil monsters confined to a stretch of forbidding mountains), and Illumians do not exist, though their PrCs are open to Halflings.
Dragons are antagonistic to non-reptilian humanoids, due to their gods being killed by the humanoid gods when they assumed power.
Anything else, assume normal roles

So, what do I need to do to make these guys work as a behind the scenes villainous group? What should I do to fill out their motivations and personalities?

rweird
2011-12-17, 07:54 PM
What level are these guys supposed to be? What are there other resources? What precautions did the old adventuring group take to make sure the key remained separate? I think the playground needs more information before we can help.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-18, 09:16 PM
What level are these guys supposed to be? What are there other resources? What precautions did the old adventuring group take to make sure the key remained separate? I think the playground needs more information before we can help.

Well, if that's what you need, it shall be given. Keep in mind I don't know (as of writing this sentence) the answers to some of those less concrete issues, so we shall discover them together.

Level

Current party level is 3, so as a side note, I'm looking for long term ways to develop these guys before conflict ensues. Build-up will be gradual.

Arawn Lugus is a bulky CR 18, (half-shadow dragon shadar-kai graveknight duskblade 4/hellknight 10) designed to be an actual encounter at high levels. Until then, he'll be the (assumedly) untouchable monster in the shadows, occansionally taking the field to seperate the aprty from their goals or drive the heroes back. When the final conflict happens, I want it big, I want it dire. According to the graveknight template, he's got 85 HD of undead minions to allot, so I'll need to figure that out too. Though it is not listed as possible on the template, when I made him I was trying to figure out if it would be fair to give him an energy immunity (see the template) of sonic or light (precident: see Radiant Dragon) which would also affect his extra damage.

Clarahd is CR 16 (grey elf prodigy of intelligence factotum 3/swashbuckler 3/iaijutsu master 10) (or, if paired with his black ethergaunt, ECL 19) and is investing heavily in all nowledge skills plus Iaijutus Focus. His etherguant is investing in making magic poisons (I believe the issue of Dragon is 332) so as to mass produce Doubt Bombs (see ethergaunts, wisdom damage poison)

Kyra and Persephone are both at the moment CR 8 (were-polar bear lord human something 2 and half-fey human warlock 5/shou disciple 1/fist of the forest 1), but I'm keeping them low and planning to have multiple encounters. As you might have noticed, I haven't made up my mind on Kyra. Do you think she should be a barbarian/fighter or a knight/crusader?

Open to suggestions for a 5th member.

Other Resources

Well, there's Arawn's 85 HD of undead minions

Clarahd has a fair stockpile of Doubt Bomb magicked up to be repeating maximized magic resistant wisdom drain, so that could help.

Other than that, they can have whatever they need through extortion, blackmail, coercion and outright theft.

Precautions (warning, may or may not be a shameless rip-off of Rich Burlew)

The 'cleric' has made it so that the piece cannot be removed from him unless he allows it. He is currently in the possession of Arawn.

The 'wizard' has built a genesis plane, and grown it regularly with repeat castings, planting vegetation and bringing wildlife to it which he regularly attends to. Within this forest of dangerous beasts is a cottage, where the wizard lives, and within his fireplace is a portal to a magnificent mansion, staffed not only by the usual unseen servants but a small force of mercenaries who are loyal to the wizard. And within the vault of this mansion is a small gem which acts as the key component to a teleport spell to the vault where the piece is kept. Because . . . wizard. Or some arcane spellcaster at least.

The 'rogue' had the wizard assist with this one. The piece was placed in a person, already undetectable now there is no way to find it. That person is somewhere, could be far or near, not even the rogue knows. It's magically encapsualted in the person's heart, and could only be found if the rogue either wanted to or told someone else what sort of magical signature to look for, and even then it would require a "by-hand" search for the person.

The 'fighter' did the only sensible thing, build a dungeon. At the end is the prize, a piece of the Astral Key. Simple right? Not with the most difficult traps, most cunning monsters (fed and healed with benign 'traps'), and the entire place protected with riverine. Anyone who could describe the appearance of the rooms would have survived and obtained the piece, so teleportation only works if someone survived. It cost every penny of the fighter's wealth and bankrupted the fighter's family, but the fighter is happy now, and lives a simple existence, making a journey once and a while to check the dungeon is not disturbed.

And the 'paladin', of course, founded an order. They protect the piece and hunt down any group similar to the cult they took this key from. Both the paladin and the 'squire' to the paladin hold prominent but largly ceremonial roles now, with new blood taking over since the glory days. The piece is not in a vault or a hidden place, but in plain sight, in the sword used to ceremonially "knight" new members and those moving higher in the structure, the blade is forged around the piece.

I've got a couple ideas for the class make-up of these guys, but I don't really know if the party will be fighting them. Any suggestions on anything?

gkathellar
2011-12-18, 09:19 PM
Well, usually you want two evil violinists, an evil violist and an evil cellist. (http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot)

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-18, 09:20 PM
Well, usually you want two evil violinists, an evil violist and an evil cellist. (http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot)

Well, good on you there. Since there are four of them, what would you suggest?

Rhaegar14
2011-12-19, 08:46 AM
Very cool in theory, but this group needs a primary spellcaster (Warlock doesn't count). A BBEG of CR 18 (such as Arawn) without any significant casting ability is going to get decimated by a caster PC who has any idea what he's doing without significant efforts to make magic useless against him.

One thing you could do with him that wouldn't require a lot of refluffing is to make him a Clericzilla/Bone Knight, which would give him massive undead armies and make him a monster in melee with all the benefits of tier 1 casting. Bone Knoght is in Eberron's Five Nations supplement, but the fluff that ties it to Eberron is mutable.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-19, 08:50 AM
Very cool in theory, but this group needs a primary spellcaster (Warlock doesn't count). A BBEG of CR 18 (such as Arawn) without any significant casting ability is going to get decimated by a caster PC who has any idea what he's doing without significant efforts to make magic useless against him.

One thing you could do with him that wouldn't require a lot of refluffing is to make him a Clericzilla/Bone Knight, which would give him massive undead armies and make him a monster in melee with all the benefits of tier 1 casting. Bone Knoght is in Eberron's Five Nations supplement, but the fluff that ties it to Eberron is mutable.

A black ethergaunt is a 17th level wizard. They have such an ethergaunt.

That's why I didn't put another spellcaster in here. Also, I can invest some of the HD Arawn has to invest in a decent lich. Either of those keep Arawn a) undead and b) indestructible.

Rhaegar14
2011-12-19, 09:01 AM
Well then it depends on your players' optimization level and how likely he is to have to fight alone; if he gets separated from that Ethergaunt, he's toast. Personally, I've always chafed a bit at the idea of a character with minions having minions stronger than he is, especially when the minion is stronger because spellcasting wins and melee can't have nice things, but that's a bit beside the point.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-19, 09:11 AM
Well then it depends on your players' optimization level and how likely he is to have to fight alone; if he gets separated from that Ethergaunt, he's toast. Personally, I've always chafed a bit at the idea of a character with minions having minions stronger than he is, especially when the minion is stronger because spellcasting wins and melee can't have nice things, but that's a bit beside the point.

Well, okay then, what I take from that is we should give him something more reliable than the abberation. *thinking*

Well, to answer the first issue, it's unlikely he'd fight alone, by metagame thinking. He's a major villain, and thus the fight he is in is due challenge and a host of minions. Would you object to him having spellcasting minions who are accompanying him?

The ethergaunt is, I'll admit, not a good option die to its capricious nature.

The advantage of undead minions is that he can control them utterly, so zero backstabbing at least.

On that note, I was thinking of giving him sort of a few nice undead instead of a hoard, so of like other riders to do his will, (SHAMELESS!!!) like he's the witch-king and they're the nazgul sort of. A lich here, a swordwraith or deathknight there, a bleakborn perhaps?

Rhaegar14
2011-12-19, 09:16 AM
That would probably work just fine. Though, I don't know the Graveknight template, so I don't know if there's some limitation on undead types (for instance, if it's a variation of animate dead, you're stuck with skeletons and zombies).

Still, I highly recommend you look at Bone Knight; it does basically everything you want this guy to do better than he's doing it now. It even has the distinctive armor (though it's bone armor rather than hellplate).

Deepbluediver
2011-12-19, 09:24 AM
I know it can be good to start working at the top, but since it looks like the heroes won't be confronting Arwan for a while I think we've got more time to figure that out.

Let's talk about the other 3 a bit.

Immediately latched on to the bit about Clara-of-the-really-long-and-unpronounceable-name having been a doctor and other professions at one point. This looks like a great opportunity to make contact with your party in less-than-lethal manner if he offers to help heal them up or provide some potions or even cure's a curse or illness one of them has come down with.
For example, Arwan may have ordered Clarahd to keep an eye on any potential enemies who might step up to thwart his plans, so Clarahd is seeking out well-known adventuring groups and either sending them off on a wild goose chase or getting rid of them entirely, if possible.

Your players aren't powerful enough to worry your evil quartet yet, but as they progress along the path they start to attract attention.
Maybe Clarahd joins them for a few days, either making some excuse to travel along the same route, or setting up some mini-quest so he can observe them in action, hiding his true strength. Perhaps he just hangs out in a town or city they visit regularly and in exchange for the group telling him what they've been up to, he keeps his ear to the ground about all this 'political instability'.
Maybe your group can stumble across him while they are traveling somewhere, and "rescue" him from Kyra and Persephone. Perhaps this is what leads them to befriend him. Later on, they come across other NPCs, who all have a similar story of rescuing their new "friend" from the same two enemies. No matter what rational they assume, it's something that probably bears closer investigation.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-19, 08:05 PM
That would probably work just fine. Though, I don't know the Graveknight template, so I don't know if there's some limitation on undead types (for instance, if it's a variation of animate dead, you're stuck with skeletons and zombies).

Still, I highly recommend you look at Bone Knight; it does basically everything you want this guy to do better than he's doing it now. It even has the distinctive armor (though it's bone armor rather than hellplate).

I have looked at Bone Knight. Little point as he is already dead, and if he wasn't this character wouldn't have the immunities and spell resistance he does. I appreciate the help though, and it's a very simple and awesome build, especially with ordained champion. Do you think that the cleric from the "Key" group should be one? Perhaps a Heironeon instead of Hextorite?

The link to graveknight is in the spoiler for Arawn, click on graveknight.

I know it can be good to start working at the top, but since it looks like the heroes won't be confronting Arwan for a while I think we've got more time to figure that out.

Let's talk about the other 3 a bit.

Immediately latched on to the bit about Clara-of-the-really-long-and-unpronounceable-name having been a doctor and other professions at one point. This looks like a great opportunity to make contact with your party in less-than-lethal manner if he offers to help heal them up or provide some potions or even cure's a curse or illness one of them has come down with.
For example, Arwan may have ordered Clarahd to keep an eye on any potential enemies who might step up to thwart his plans, so Clarahd is seeking out well-known adventuring groups and either sending them off on a wild goose chase or getting rid of them entirely, if possible.

Your players aren't powerful enough to worry your evil quartet yet, but as they progress along the path they start to attract attention.
Maybe Clarahd joins them for a few days, either making some excuse to travel along the same route, or setting up some mini-quest so he can observe them in action, hiding his true strength. Perhaps he just hangs out in a town or city they visit regularly and in exchange for the group telling him what they've been up to, he keeps his ear to the ground about all this 'political instability'.
Maybe your group can stumble across him while they are traveling somewhere, and "rescue" him from Kyra and Persephone. Perhaps this is what leads them to befriend him. Later on, they come across other NPCs, who all have a similar story of rescuing their new "friend" from the same two enemies. No matter what rational they assume, it's something that probably bears closer investigation.

Awesome note. Perhaps I'll have him disguise himself though, simply so they don't immediately know who he is.

deuxhero
2011-12-19, 08:16 PM
A BBEG of CR 18 (such as Arawn) without any significant casting ability is going to get decimated by a caster PC who has any idea what he's doing without significant efforts to make magic useless against him.

No, a caster that doesn't know what he is doing is the one to take out a tenth of his hit points.

The one that knows what he is doing forces him to make impossible saves or die (directly or indirectly).

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-19, 08:37 PM
No, a caster that doesn't know what he is doing is the one to take out a tenth of his hit points.

The one that knows what he is doing forces him to make impossible saves or die (directly or indirectly).

Fair enough again.

Saves are +18, +18, +19, SR is 25, immunities are cold, electricity, fire (as long as the armour is worn), one more energy type, and normal undead immunities, resistance is acid 10

So that SR is sucky at high levels, the saves aren't the best, so what do I need to do to assuage?

deuxhero
2011-12-19, 08:45 PM
He has no movement abilities and only seems to have melee attacks, so forcecage and other movement impairing spells (wall of stone/iron?) are a big deal to him, or even just a grease (much less a threat if you are using PF rules for the spell and skills). His immunities deal with most will effects, but ref stuff is still deadly.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-19, 08:53 PM
He has no movement abilities and only seems to have melee attacks, so forcecage and other movement impairing spells (wall of stone/iron?) are a big deal to him, or even just a grease (much less a threat if you are using PF rules for the spell and skills). His immunities deal with most will effects, but ref stuff is still deadly.

Hmmm

Okay, well what sort of things could help him there? Magic items or feats that help perhaps?

deuxhero
2011-12-19, 08:58 PM
Just want to make sure: 3.p correct?

MIC's anklets of teleportation will stop the various cages a few times and are fairly cheep for it.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-19, 09:00 PM
Just want to make sure: 3.p correct?

MIC's anklets of teleportation will stop the various cages a few times and are fairly cheep for it.

Yes to 3.5.

Will do on that one. Dang it, why didn't I remember that. Investing in acrobatics would also be in character, since before the armour and the undeath and such, he was still a shadar-kai, a race noted for grace if little else.

rweird
2011-12-20, 07:40 PM
To avoid hazards, Dimensional Hopper Greater (Sor/Wiz 6 I think in the SC, maybe CM) Lets you teleport 60 ft. per round. The evil wizard could cast it before the battle. That should keep him out of battlefield control spells some.

For actions, I think that the BBEG should send Kyra and Persephone with some undead out to capture a friend/family member of the cleric and threaten to kill the him/her unless he gives his piece of the key. Also see if the he/she knows anything about where the other pieces are. At least on of them should stay with the cleric at all times. (BBEG comes to mind because he can watch or have his minions watch 24/7.) The evil wizard should use Legend lore/Divination/Scrying too try to figure out how the other pieces are guarded. The evil wizard should also try to figure out the spells of the good wizard and get spells to counter them. I kinda see the baddies controlling the beasts and having them turn on the wizard and the PCs having to fight the monsters and Kyra and Persephone, while the evil wizard stops the good wizard from stopping the BBEG from claiming the key. After the Key Fragment is claimed they retreat.

I didn't post this in order of events.

Heatwizard
2011-12-21, 06:32 AM
Does the piece need to leave the Cleric's neck in order to be assembled into the whole? 'Cause I'm thinking just kill him and cut out his neck.

nyarlathotep
2011-12-21, 07:05 AM
One oft overlooked feat that can help to some degree with warding off casters would be Deny Divinity (either EoE or EE) which gives a small bonus against divine spells and allows a will save even if the spell normally allows no save. For arcane you could homebrew a similar Deny Arcane feat or just give him martial study iron heart surge.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-21, 10:42 AM
To avoid hazards, Dimensional Hopper Greater (Sor/Wiz 6 I think in the SC, maybe CM) Lets you teleport 60 ft. per round. The evil wizard could cast it before the battle. That should keep him out of battlefield control spells some.

For actions, I think that the BBEG should send Kyra and Persephone with some undead out to capture a friend/family member of the cleric and threaten to kill the him/her unless he gives his piece of the key. Also see if the he/she knows anything about where the other pieces are. At least on of them should stay with the cleric at all times. (BBEG comes to mind because he can watch or have his minions watch 24/7.) The evil wizard should use Legend lore/Divination/Scrying too try to figure out how the other pieces are guarded. The evil wizard should also try to figure out the spells of the good wizard and get spells to counter them. I kinda see the baddies controlling the beasts and having them turn on the wizard and the PCs having to fight the monsters and Kyra and Persephone, while the evil wizard stops the good wizard from stopping the BBEG from claiming the key. After the Key Fragment is claimed they retreat.

I didn't post this in order of events.

Wow! That is the such an awesome adventure path. Okay, that's what's going to happen, thank you.

Does the piece need to leave the Cleric's neck in order to be assembled into the whole? 'Cause I'm thinking just kill him and cut out his neck.

Now that raises a good point. Should the villains just keep him alive and drag him to the vault to complete the Astral Key?

One oft overlooked feat that can help to some degree with warding off casters would be Deny Divinity (either EoE or EE) which gives a small bonus against divine spells and allows a will save even if the spell normally allows no save. For arcane you could homebrew a similar Deny Arcane feat or just give him martial study iron heart surge.

I'll keep that in mind, along with the other stuff. All this is good people, GOLD!!

nyarlathotep
2011-12-21, 04:24 PM
Also a ring of freedom of movement is an absolute must for high level melee.

rweird
2011-12-21, 07:44 PM
Thanks, a few more ideas you could try.

This on only works if the villains have a sneaky character. He/she could sneak into the paladin order, doubt bomb them to cause the paladins to be easily fooled by the sneak, then he steals the sword and convinces them that other paladins in the order are traitors that stole the sword and planted the doubt bombs. He would need a way to hid his alignment, maybe a way to fool Zone of Truth/Detect lies. With lowered Wis, they'd have worse sense motives and more prone to make errors or believe that others are traitors.

Dealing with the rouges piece would be a problem. I think the villains track down the rouge and question him. That way the BBEG learns how it is hidden. It could just so "happen" to be in someone the PCs know and for one reason or another she/he tells the PCs. The villains learn the PCs know, maybe through scrying, and need to get the PCs to tell who has the piece in them. That could lead the PCs to feel more personally involved in this and thus the adventure begins.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-12-21, 11:03 PM
Also a ring of freedom of movement is an absolute must for high level melee.

Will do on that front too.

Thanks, a few more ideas you could try.

This on only works if the villains have a sneaky character. He/she could sneak into the paladin order, doubt bomb them to cause the paladins to be easily fooled by the sneak, then he steals the sword and convinces them that other paladins in the order are traitors that stole the sword and planted the doubt bombs. He would need a way to hid his alignment, maybe a way to fool Zone of Truth/Detect lies. With lowered Wis, they'd have worse sense motives and more prone to make errors or believe that others are traitors.

Dealing with the rouges piece would be a problem. I think the villains track down the rouge and question him. That way the BBEG learns how it is hidden. It could just so "happen" to be in someone the PCs know and for one reason or another she/he tells the PCs. The villains learn the PCs know, maybe through scrying, and need to get the PCs to tell who has the piece in them. That could lead the PCs to feel more personally involved in this and thus the adventure begins.

Wow, that's also cool.

Hrmm, rogue type . . . I'm sure someone could be arranged.