PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] I need to build the best Brawler

Grynning
2011-12-16, 01:56 AM
Hey Playground! Long time, no post, but I'm back again for a little help. A new alternate game is starting for one of my groups next week, and the role of melee fighter/tanky dude has fallen to me. This game is a bit weird though, so let me explain.

The world is similar to Eberron and the default PF setting, but bumped up to about 1840's era tech levels. We are playing as a group of evil scalawags, mercenaries and assassins in pseudo-Europe. Guns are advanced enough that armor is out of fashion, so we're using the Defense Bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) alternate rule. The game is based mostly on PF but 3.5 sources, including ToB, are allowed.

I figure this is a great opportunity to make a tavern brawler type character, but I can't seem to work out how I want to do the build without getting super-MAD. The idea is that he's a hit-man who makes his kills look like random bar fights. I want him to be good at basically 4 things: soaking hits, doing unarmed damage, throwing people through windows, and having a good intimidate check. Using Improvised Weapons well would be icing on the cake, but is not entirely necessary (I thought about a Drunken Master (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176049&page=5) build but it doesn't quite fit my guy's style).

The three classes I've narrowed down my build to using would be the Brawler or Unarmed variant Fighter from PF, the Urban Barbarian from PF (mainly just for the 1st level ability, because it's neat - the "Brawler" barbarian kinda sucks IMO), and of course Unarmed Swordsage from ToB. I just can't seem to figure out how to mix them together just right. So if someone can help me out with a framework and also some suggestions on allocating the stat points that'd be a big help.

HunterOfJello
2011-12-16, 02:34 AM
Unarmed Swordsage using Diamond Mind and Setting Sun.

Ignore the desert wind school and make good use of Setting Sun for throwing people around. You can also use Shadow Hand to covertly do damaging attacks that aren't obviously magical later on. Stone Dragon will allow you to do heavy damage while looking completely normal.