PDA

View Full Version : Kobold to the rescue [D&D 3.5]

kulosle
2011-12-16, 05:28 AM
So undeniabley one of the best races can help out almost any, if not all, class. Well I was wondering, what can it do for one of my favorite classes, the bard? Please feal free to fling cheese at this.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-16, 05:40 AM
Wasnt there a thread about how to build an all kobold bard party a while back?
It might be a good idea to check that out.

P.S dragonfire inspiration-might not be kobold specific but d**n it if it doesnt fit well:smalltongue:

molten_dragon
So undeniabley one of the best races can help out almost any, if not all, class.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Kobolds offer some amazing (ly broken) things to a sorcerer, but not a lot to most other classes.

Heliomance
Pretty sure Dragonwrought Kobold qualifies for Draconic Knowledge, which is essentially Knowledge (Plot). DCs are based on how important the information is to the universe, with more important information being easier to get - knowledge of the creation of the universe is given as DC 5, for example.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-16, 05:43 AM
A lot of what the kobold could bring is fluff, you have the race that gets knocked down with ease by just about everything else in the world, but still kick back.
They work harder than dwarves and have deep spiritual connections to dragons.
In other words think gosphel/new age/rock with a fantasy twist.

besides you dont play a kobold for cheese, you play it for cool and fluff and for the challenges it gives you.

TuggyNE
2011-12-16, 06:42 PM
besides you dont play a kobold for cheese, you play it for cool and fluff and for the challenges it gives you.

You do not play kobolds, the kobold plays you.

I couldn't resist!

motoko's ghost
2011-12-16, 07:11 PM
EXACTLY!, You've got it

Edit: sorry that was a bit louder then I intended but that is exactly what I was saying.

Treblain
2011-12-16, 11:12 PM
Funny thing I just found. We know dragons (including dragonwrought kobolds) automatically qualify for anything that requires the dragonblood subtype. Oh, silly WotC. :smallsigh: But the Singer of Concordance PrC, which requires 3rd level divine spells to enter, is designed to give full spellcasting progression to either divine or arcane spells, and requires the dragonblood subtype. A dragonwrought kobold can therefore enter it at level 2 and use it to advance arcane spellcasting.

You could be a singing kobold who floats around in a magic bubble of joy and peace! (That's not actually how spheres of concordance work, but I like to imagine it that way.) It's a great class for buffer bards, because Aspect of Refuge lets you just sit there singing and casting buffs, and anyone who attacks anything in the area has to make a will save or lose their action. With good positioning and tactics, you can avoid affecting your party with it.

Build idea: Dragonwrought Kobold Bard 1/Singer of Concordance 9/Sublime Chord 2/Singer 1/Heartfire Fanner 5/Sublime Chord 2. Heartfire Fanner is from Dragon 314, and helps make up for the lost bardic music in addition to provide some extremely powerful buffs of its own.

Heliomance
2011-12-17, 08:24 AM
how are you getting 3rd level Divine spells out of Bard 1?

motoko's ghost
2011-12-17, 08:30 AM

I also want to know,My best method can only get me CL4 2nd lv divine spells out of bard1, so an extra +1lv(draconic ritual?) could do it, its pretty cheesy though

Heliomance
2011-12-17, 08:47 AM
Draconic Rite of Passage only applies to sorcerer casting.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-17, 08:49 AM
whoops, sorry its about 1 in the morning over here, i'm not the sharpest at the moment:smallredface:

DogbertLinc
2011-12-17, 09:25 AM
We know dragons (including dragonwrought kobolds) automatically qualify for anything that requires the dragonblood subtype. Oh, silly WotC.

Because of this. Dragonwrought makes him a true dragon, therefore can ignore all pre-requisites. It's probably a lot cheesier than what motoko's ghost had.

Treblain
2011-12-17, 12:13 PM

You don't need them. Nor do you need to have the proper ranks in Know (Religion). Races of the Dragon says that dragons automatically qualify for any feats, PrCs, racial substitution levels, etc... that require the dragonblood subtype. Therefore, any dragon bypasses all prereqs for anything that needs the dragonblood subtype.

It's not even a matter of "true dragons" or "unclear language" or "RAW but not RAI". If it intended for dragons to just meet the qualification of having the subtype, but not the other prereqs, it would say that. And this is the same book that has dragonwrought kobolds, so it's not an oversight in any way.

Heliomance
2011-12-17, 12:59 PM
It's an oversight, and clearly an issue of RAW vs RAI. The unwritten ending to the sentence is "as if they had the Dragonblooded subtype."

Treblain
2011-12-17, 01:36 PM
Then why does it read "Dragons automatically qualify for..."? Why not just "Dragons qualify for..."? The word 'automatically' is entirely unnecessary to indicate that being a dragon qualifies you only for the dragonblood requirement. I'd agree that "rules as makes sense" would make dragons have to qualify normally, but it seems that the wording is intended to let dragons waive the normal prerequisites. I can't think of why WotC would write it this way, but it's not a mistake in wording.

Godskook
2011-12-17, 01:46 PM
Sorcerer + Prestige Bard = Done!

And this is the same book that has dragonwrought kobolds, so it's not an oversight in any way.

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Seriously, there's too many examples of WotC having oversights within the same chapter for me to accept this kind of logic.

kulosle
2011-12-18, 08:51 AM
yeah i agree with the prestigious bard and the abuse of automatic dragon qualifications. Yes the DFI does fit very nicely. Also the +3 to cha is great. The desert kobold moves the con penalty to wis which is still a +1. So I think i'm going to make this character. I don't have access to that dragon mag, is there a link somewhere to the description of the class, my google prowess is failing me tonight?