PDA

View Full Version : DM-friendly spell combo

Balor01
2011-12-16, 08:32 AM
I DM 80% of the time and play PCs 20% of the time, mostly low lvl PCs, thus my NPC optimization of PC classes suxx @ss.
I am good at re-statting monsters, but PC classes ... its horror for me. If someone says go Wizard 1/Beguiler 2/Ur Priest 2 I must first look up every single class, study study study and maybe even then not get an optimization a decent munchkin can pull off.

So, I humbly ask Playground for some spell-combos. What I really want is to play a PC class (As NPC since I DM) that actually has one or two good spell-combos figured out. I may even use this combos by switching some spells monsters have in MM. But first of all I need some useful ideas.

If possible, I'd ask to separate these ideas a bit by CR/lvl. Some spells, accessible at lvl 10 are not accessible at lvl 3. So quickened disjunction + empowered Wail of the Banshee is not really an option. Maybe, if you could say: "This spell combo is useful vs. lvl X party." Max lvl I am interested so far is 10.
So if you have anything beyond spamming Grease, Hold Person and Fear, I'd much appreciate that.
Also I am very interested in enchantments that give a permanent buff and help NPC survive. Foresight is similar, but it is lvl 9 and not really relevant in this topic.

tnx :smallsmile:

imneuromancer
2011-12-16, 10:03 AM
Spell combos like web + stinking cloud? That kind of thing?

Balor01
2011-12-16, 12:18 PM
@imneuromancer
Exactly. And I already like your suggestion. Intelligent combination of spells to really make that CR pay off. (instead of being just lots of hp and loot)

jaybird
2011-12-16, 01:56 PM
Flaming Sphere + Quickened Pyrotechnics. 120 ft Will SoS :smalleek:

Randomguy
2011-12-16, 04:20 PM
Solid fog or freezing fog and any damage over time spell, like cloudkill or vortex of teeth.

Cloudburst + call lightning, for druids, if it's not already rainy, to increase the damage dice of the lightning bolts.

Shrink item plus launch object, especially against someone in an antimagic field.

Ray of stupidity lets you drop T-rexes in one shot, so it's great against druids with very strong animal companions.

Illusions can be very powerful, but mostly through creative use rather than spell combinations.

At level 11 a wizard could use veil to make himself, his minions and his enemies all look like him, and then either teleport away or use benign/baleful transposition and illusions to add to the chaos.

For gishes there's wraithstrike+girrallon's blessing+enlarge person+enlarge weapon+bull's strength, for when you just need to burn all your spell slots to take out those pesky PC's.

Godskook
2011-12-16, 04:30 PM
Spectral Hand + Touch spell

Chain spell + Ray of Enfeeblement

bloodtide
2011-12-16, 10:30 PM
1.Summon Swarm with Wall of Force cast around opponent on round that summon swarm finishes.

2.Slow+Web - Renders opponent almost completely ineffective. Best when web can catch group of opponents.

3.Faerie Fire + Obscuring Mist
Give your party concealment, but retain you ability to attack the target.

4.Acid Fog + Black Tentacles

5.Forcecage, Dimensional Anchor/Lock, Cloudkill.

7.Web and Summon Swarm (spiders) or Web and Summon Undead IV, V or similar (Shadows, Allips, Wraiths ) and Blacklight and Summon Undead V ( shadows )

8.Wave of Grief/Curse of Ill Fortune plus Phantasmal Killer

9.Touch of Idiocy followed up by either a Bestow Curse (- Wisdom penalty) or a Feeblemind.

10.Pyrotechnics and Flaming Sphere: Pyrotechnics requires a source fire and, in combat, there are many spells and alchemical items that can start a non-magical fire. Unfortunately, pyrotechnics extinguishes non-magical fires. Flaming sphere, however, is a magical fire (if it was non-magical, it wouldn’t allow spell resistance), providing a lasting and movable source fire for pyrotechnics

kme
2011-12-17, 12:22 PM
Animated undead + stinking cloud
Invisibility + summon monster or summon swarm
wall of fire + resist energy (fire)
stoneskin + false life + fire shield
fly + wind wall
levitate + protection from arrows + flaming sphere
Multiple pre cast Walls of X + blink
Illusory walls + ranged attacks
waves of exhaustion + web
greater invisibility + telekinesis in a room full of random objects :smalltongue:

Balor01
2011-12-17, 04:09 PM
Thanks so much guys :smallbiggrin: This really helps.

Balor01
2011-12-17, 04:10 PM

Balor01
2011-12-17, 04:12 PM

Balor01
2011-12-17, 04:17 PM
Heh. Got "Internal server error" each time I posted ...