PDA

View Full Version : A colorful party (3.P)

JadePhoenix
2011-12-16, 12:24 PM
So, let's say I have an aasimar favored soul and a half-elf rogue. Let's say this is not a very optimized group.
Could you guys suggest about 3 other caracters to fill in such party? Mostly 3.5, but with a dash of Pathfinder. Think about levesl 6-8.

Morph Bark
2011-12-16, 12:41 PM
Tiefling Beguiler.

Half-Orc Bardbarian (preferably the dragonblooded half-orc kind).

Elf Gunslinger.

missmvicious
2011-12-16, 01:10 PM
Mkay... you've got you're healer/buffer and your skill monkey.

How about a tank and a blaster? Since you're going with an Elf adjacent motif, then...

Wild Elf Ranger and Eladrin Wizard?

Just spit-balling.

Imho: If you don't want to go for optimized, then go for broke on fluff. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but an un-optimized PC with a great backstory is more fun to play than an over-optimized PC who is an adventurer who adventures for the sake of adventuring. Your PCs backstories will tell you what race/class you are.

For instance: (going with cliches to keep this simple)

If you're traveling with Drow:
Drow are extremely racist. If you're not Drow, you're cannon fodder or you're a demon. So, either play another Drow, or play a demon. If you're a female Drow, you are almost certainly a Cleric and are probably the group's leader, so put ranks in Intimidate.

If you're traveling with Gnomes:
Gnomes are pranksters and tricksters. They prefer little folk over big folk, so A Halfling or Dwarf would make a good companion. If you're a Halfling, you're either in on the pranks or trying to be one step ahead of the pranks, so put ranks in Sense Motive. If you're a Dwarf, you're probably the long suffering victim of their pranks, so don't worry about a high CHA score, just build to be a good protector of your goofy friends.

If you're traveling with a mixed group:
Wherever there's an Elf, there's almost certainly a Dwarf. Where there's a Half-Elf, there's almost certainly a Half-Orc. Where there's a Halfling, there's almost always a big tough friend who's more muscle than brain... any medium or large race works for this.

Psyren
2011-12-16, 01:49 PM
Warforged Totemist nets you a brutal tank. You could also look into Crusader.

Crossblade
2011-12-16, 02:01 PM
You have Half-Angel healer and Half Elf Skill-Monkey.

You need a tank. So fighter or barbarian... why not Half-Orc?
You also need a caster. Going with half races, a Tiefling fits, they get a +2 int so wizard fits them.

Alternatively, as a 5th character, Gunslinger or Magus from PF also works well and Tielfling fits both those well also.

To avoid two of the same races (two Tieflings), you could also go for tongue in cheek humor and go with a Halfling as one of the other races.

paddyfool
2011-12-16, 02:04 PM
Bonus marks if you squeeze a mongrelfolk in there somewhere...

Psyren
2011-12-16, 02:17 PM
Bonus marks if you squeeze a mongrelfolk in there somewhere...

Mongrelfolk Totemist would also be pretty brutal and very thematic. The stat penalties wouldn't even slow them down.

Morph Bark
2011-12-16, 09:06 PM
Wild Elf Ranger and Eladrin Wizard?

Note: Pathfinder/3.5, not 4E, so Eladrin are not an option as a race.

To avoid two of the same races (two Tieflings), you could also go for tongue in cheek humor and go with a Halfling as one of the other races.

I fully support this.

Frosty
2011-12-16, 11:47 PM
This party needs moar Warforged. Plenty of roleplay and comedy potential.

Coidzor
2011-12-17, 02:09 AM
MORE WARFORGED!

*ahem* I mean, I concur, and you should heartily consider a warforged pimp.

Either that or Pimp Krusk the Bardbarian.

JadePhoenix
2011-12-17, 05:24 AM
I like the idea of a warforged. Not sure about the class yet.
An ophiduan caster might work. Maybe a warmage, since this is not supposed to be optimized. Or a wilder. Yeah, an ophiduan wilder.
I'm partial to dwarf gunslingers due to Leonel Caldela's books, but I don't think it would fit. I don't want a bard... maybe a dragon shaman. Yeah, definitely a dragon shaman.

Psyren
2011-12-17, 09:03 AM
If Psionics Unleashed races are on the table, think of getting a Half-Giant Psywar in there.

Ophiduans are great, but a very odd choice for Wilder. I'd go with Xeph or Maenad ahead of them.

Unless I'm not sure what you mean by "colorful."

The-Mage-King
2011-12-17, 03:31 PM
I third the suggestion of Warforged.

Specifically, warforged Bard.

Srs. Suboptimal, but... Well, think about it!

Daftendirekt
2011-12-17, 06:06 PM
Did somebody say Warforged Bard?

http://onmuteoff.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/guy-manuel-de-homem-christo1.jpg

Psyren
2011-12-17, 06:39 PM
I always thought the Reforged made a good visual for a Warforged Bard as well:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/roe_gallery/88257.jpg