PDA

View Full Version : Best Eldritch Spellblast Spells?

Snowbluff
2011-12-16, 01:47 PM
So, I am thinking about playing Eldritch Theurge. For my direct damage/ blasting, I am interested using the Spellblast for a Eldritch Blast/Area Spell one-two punch. So, my question is, which spell would be best for use with this sort of thing? Fire ball/Scintillating Sphere are the obvious options, and are what I will default to for Arcane Thesis and such.

Psyren
2011-12-16, 02:14 PM
Are you asking "which invocations should I add to my ES spells?" The answer to that depends to an extent on whether you have high Cha or not; many essences have saving throws and are a good choice if yours is high. If what you instead mean is "what are the best spells I can add essences to" simply pick your favorite ranged spell that is either RTA or targeted, and pick ones that have no SR if possible (as this opens up your essence options.) Orbs are great choices as they have neither saves nor SR.

Some essences are of course good regardless of the enemy's save. Vitriolic for instance simply helps your spell land on a high-SR foe and doesn't care about their saves, while Hammer is great for sundering or barriers. But your best bet is to be Charisma-based - there are very good essences with saves (e.g. Hindering and Repelling) and if you're a Cha-based caster, you'll key your regular spells and other invocations off the stat as well, not to mention your UMD checks.

Please note that area spells will still apply the essence to one target, regardless of how many targets the spell itself hits. So for instance, applying Frightful Blast to a Fireball won't let you clear out a room.

Snowbluff
2011-12-16, 02:27 PM
Are you asking "which invocations should I add to my ES spells?" The answer to that depends to an extent on whether you have high Cha or not; many essences have saving throws and are a good choice if yours is high. If what you instead mean is "what are the best spells I can add essences to" simply pick your favorite ranged spell that is either RTA or targeted, and pick ones that have no SR if possible (as this opens up your essence options.) Orbs are great choices as they have neither saves nor SR.

Derp, I meant spellblast not spellweave.

Psyren
2011-12-16, 03:16 PM
Ah, I understand now. I knew that sounded funny.

Good choices are personal area spells that you normally couldn't apply to other targets. You can slap an AMF onto an enemy caster 60 ft. away, for instance, though they could simply walk out of it on their turn.

Do note that unlike other means of turning area spells into rays (such as spellwarp), Spellblast simply triggers the spell at point-blank range. The target can therefore still use Evasion to escape if the spell allows a reflex save. Avoid using such spells unless you're aiming at bulky targets.

Snowbluff
2011-12-16, 03:42 PM
Ah, I understand now. I knew that sounded funny.

Good choices are personal area spells that you normally couldn't apply to other targets. You can slap an AMF onto an enemy caster 60 ft. away, for instance, though they could simply walk out of it on their turn.

Do note that unlike other means of turning area spells into rays (such as spellwarp), Spellblast simply triggers the spell at point-blank range. The target can therefore still use Evasion to escape if the spell allows a reflex save. Avoid using such spells unless you're aiming at bulky targets.

Yeah, I'll prep a selection of spells with different then. Spheres, fireballs, Scarabs, AoE status spells. You have spells to point out in particular, I don't exactly have a list of Area Sorc/Wiz spells on hand, and sifting thorugh these is a pain.