PDA

View Full Version : Retriever Demon Hit Points

aeauseth
2011-12-17, 12:20 AM
I am rebuilding/recalculating monsters from scratch based on their base characteristics for a program I am writing. I am stuck on the 3.5 Retriever Demon creature in Monster Manual 1. It shows Hit dice of 10d10+80 (135 hp). It is a construct so no CON bonus. The construct trait for a huge creature is supposed to get a +40 hit point bonus not a +80 bonus.

A spot check of other constructs (golems, animated object) seems to match the +10 for small, +20 for medium, +30 for large and +40 for huge as expected.

I have run across several discrepancies MM1, however an errata generally corrects the problem. I’ve looked all over (SRD + Errata + Web) to find a correction or explanation as to the Hit Point discrepancy, but have found nothing. I suppose it can be chalked up to artistic license, but I’ve gone A-D and this is the first time I was unable to reconcile a creature.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Runestar
2011-12-17, 12:41 AM
Probably a mistake, just like how the balor's str mod to damage is erroneous. Don't kill too many brain cells puzzling over this. :smallsmile: