PDA

View Full Version : Necklace of Natural Weapons.

Drelua
2011-12-17, 01:22 AM
It's funny that they're better for a Monk than an Amulet of Mighty Fists, which is better for something with a lot of attacks, but that's not nearly as funny as the example in the description. A +1 throwing returning necklace of natural weapons. Is it just me, or is that one of the weirdest things you've ever pictured. Does this let a Monk use his fists as throwing weapons? A wolf to bite you from across a room? Would their whole snout fly at you, or just the teeth?

As much as I would love to see this in game, it's far too ridiculous for me to allow it. I know the most likely party member to use this would be a Monk, so it's certainly not a balance issue, it just makes no sense. Would any other DM's allow this in a remotely serious game? How would you describe it for a punch, bite or claw? I'd love to hear anyone try to describe this in a way that makes some sense. A cookie to you if I can read it without laughing.

Fax Celestis
2011-12-17, 01:27 AM
Not like this is something new. Street Fighter has it, for god's sake. http://i.neoseeker.com/n/7/dhalsim_005_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Inferno
2011-12-17, 01:30 AM
I think I would allow it and call it a punch/thrust of "force" (not as magical force, still regular bludgeoning damage) call it ki or psionics or anything. I tend to try to let the monk catch a break here and there.

Drelua
2011-12-17, 01:38 AM
I think I would allow it and call it a punch/thrust of "force" (not as magical force, still regular bludgeoning damage) call it ki or psionics or anything. I tend to try to let the monk catch a break here and there.

I've sure got no problem giving Monks a break, but what about animals? What if you had a Ranger in the party who wanted to get the same thing for his group? I assume you wouldn't let the trip attack work, I sure wouldn't. Besides, any break you give the Monk here sets a precedent in the Druid's favour.

And now I'm picturing that picture working from 50 feet away, Fax Celestis. Thanks for that, that's even better than what I was picturing before.

Inferno
2011-12-17, 01:48 AM
The wolf wouldn't be able to trip unless it had some way of tripping with a thrown weapon, which its bite would be. If your too worried about the druid's companion abusing it or some such you could just say the animal companion won't use it, as it requires intelligence, focus, or is unnerving for the animal in some way.

Drelua
2011-12-17, 01:51 AM
The wolf wouldn't be able to trip unless it had some way of tripping with a thrown weapon, which its bite would be. If your too worried about the druid's companion abusing it or some such you could just say the animal companion won't use it, as it requires intelligence, focus, or is unnerving for the animal in some way.

That's true, I'd certainly find it unnerving to be sitting on the couch with my teeth in the neighbour's yard. What if the Druid casts Fox's Cunning on his companion, though? That just seems like something a player would bring up.

Coidzor
2011-12-17, 01:59 AM
Deal with it the same way you deal with the spell Bloodwind which lets you use natural weapons to make ranged attacks.

Personally I favor the "X so hard it travels through the wind and does damage" school.

Inferno
2011-12-17, 02:01 AM
Then why not let him? If that's the worst your druid is pulling, well...things could be much worse. Wildclasped Dragonhide full-plate clad Cyrohydra's with natural spell and the like being a wildshape option, a wolf with some ranged capability is going to be the least of the worries the DM of a druid should have.

Drelua
2011-12-17, 02:06 AM
Then why not let him? If that's the worst your druid is pulling, well...things could be much worse. Wildclasped Dragonhide full-plate clad Cyrohydra's with natural spell and the like being a wildshape option, a wolf with some ranged capability is going to be the least of the worries the DM of a druid should have.

I guess you're right, it just seems so ridiculous to me that I wouldn't let it happen. I'm not gonna tell you that you're wrong for allowing in your games, of course.

I just thought of a much better question...what if you have throwing, but not returning? You could rule that you can't take one without taking the other, or you could rule that the animal companion has to go get his teeth and the Monk his fist. Make everyone think your dog has dentures. Keep in mind that if this thread is being taken seriously by anyone, there has been an error in communication, almost certainly on my end. :smallbiggrin:

BobVosh
2011-12-17, 02:07 AM
Just imagine if it didn't have returning. Actually, returning returns at the beginning of the next round...

This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it. It returns to the thrower just before the creature’s next turn (and is therefore ready to use again in that turn).
Does this mean that if you punch with it, you lose your fist for a round? Or the ability to speak if you bite? That is both AWESOME and creepy.

Drelua
2011-12-17, 02:21 AM
Just imagine if it didn't have returning. Actually, returning returns at the beginning of the next round...

Does this mean that if you punch with it, you lose your fist for a round? Or the ability to speak if you bite? That is both AWESOME and creepy.

That is a very good point, I hadn't even realized that. Your fist or whatever just lies there for a while until it flies towards you and reattaches...that is creepy.

BobVosh
2011-12-17, 02:24 AM
That is a very good point, I hadn't even realized that. Your fist or whatever just lies there for a while until it flies towards you and reattaches...that is creepy.

That is an even better point...It is just lying there. Normally you could sunder it I guess, but since it IS you, I bet they can chop it up and hurt you. Without any risk of AoOs or what have you.

Drelua
2011-12-17, 02:33 AM
That is an even better point...It is just lying there. Normally you could sunder it I guess, but since it IS you, I bet they can chop it up and hurt you. Without any risk of AoOs or what have you.

And what if they steal it and teleport away? I guess you'd need a regenerate spell, if you can afford it. If not, you're screwed.

BobVosh
2011-12-17, 02:41 AM
And what if they steal it and teleport away? I guess you'd need a regenerate spell, if you can afford it. If not, you're screwed.

No range, and it doesn't really limit how long it will try to come back. Unless destroyed, I guess it will return. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Determinator)

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore —
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door —
Only this and nothing more."
Little known fact, this poem was originally called "The Thrown Returning Hand" instead of" The Raven".

Drelua
2011-12-17, 03:01 AM
No range, and it doesn't really limit how long it will try to come back. Unless destroyed, I guess it will return. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Determinator)

Little known fact, this poem was originally called "The Thrown Returning Hand" instead of" The Raven".

I just thought of a campaign where this happens a lot and the characters eventually get to the BBEG's study and find a shelf full of hands in jars, each more rotten than the last, pulling towards their former owner But he already has a hand. When freed, they pile onto his hand, fighting for his already occupied wrist. This just keeps getting creepier, especially when you bring Poe into it.

BobVosh
2011-12-17, 03:11 AM
Why make him evil, have him be a paladin using the hands as "extras." There is no reason for a paladin to not be prepared. Also gentle repose is a great spell.

I just can't help but think how great it will be for the PCs to enter the room with the Great Good Guy and to see how many decapitated hands he has in cages. (I'm imagine a cage like you would keep pet scorpions) The PCs then will probably doubt he is a GGG.

gomipile
2011-12-17, 06:39 AM
Why make him evil, have him be a paladin using the hands as "extras." There is no reason for a paladin to not be prepared. Also gentle repose is a great spell.

I just can't help but think how great it will be for the PCs to enter the room with the Great Good Guy and to see how many decapitated hands he has in cages. (I'm imagine a cage like you would keep pet scorpions) The PCs then will probably doubt he is a GGG.

Wouldn't that be demanitated?

motoko's ghost
2011-12-17, 07:21 AM
Did anyone else think of rayman? the videogame guy who had detached floating limbs?

IdleMuse
2011-12-17, 07:41 AM
Did anyone else think of rayman? the videogame guy who had detached floating limbs?

Yes I did... There's another way of doing this, using Kensai to upgrade your fists as your chosen weapon.

http://poparma.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Rayman_punch-screenshot_large.jpg

motoko's ghost
2011-12-17, 07:44 AM
Oh man,kensai=flaming fists of fury(flaming,speed)
or brilliant energy! or Vorpal!
I may have to build one of these.

BobVosh
2011-12-17, 04:02 PM
Oh man,kensai=flaming fists of fury(flaming,speed)
or brilliant energy! or Vorpal!
I may have to build one of these.

Fistbeard Beardfist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116838) already fights with a throwing, returning, flaming beard.

KicktheCAN
2011-12-17, 06:02 PM
A campaign I was in recently had a monk with a Sizing Necklace of Natural Weapons. We decided to flavor it as a Green Lantern thing where he had magical projections of his fists.