PDA

View Full Version : Magic Mistletoe (3.5 spell, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-17, 03:23 AM
Of note: I suck at writing spells, so please point out anything you see wrong.

Magic Mistletoe
Illusion (Figment), Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: one living creature within range
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will Disbelief (if interacted with)/Will Negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

As you cast the spell, an illusory image of a sprig of mistletoe appears over one living creature you designate within range. The creature must make a Will save or be effected by the spell, and kiss anyone who comes up to him under the effects of the spell. The sprig hangs over the creature's head for one minute per level of the caster.

Any living creature who looks at the character with the mistletoe hanging over them must make a Will save or be overcome by an urge to kiss them regardless of race or gender, and will do whatever it takes to get to them to do so until either the spell ends or they receive their kiss, whichever comes first. They will do whatever is needed to get to them, including casting spells to teleport them to the person if there is no other means of reaching them or attempting dangerous stunts, though they will never do anything outright suicidal. Should someone else become effected by the spell, all effected parties will fight to be the one to receive the kiss of the effected person, employing both physical and magical combat to get there first, though they will still be able to recognize friend and foe and adjust combat styles accordingly.

This spell requires a creature to see the mistletoe. Any creature that is blind, has no eyes, or cannot see the spell for whatever reason is unaffected. The caster of the spell is also immune to the spell's mental compulsions.

Thoughts?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 03:30 AM
There should be a Will save to resist (and spell resistance) for the observers of the mistletoe as well, not just the victim.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-17, 03:31 AM
I thought I had put one in, thanks for catching that.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 03:33 AM
Also, this is a (compulsion) effect, not a (charm) effect. (Charm effects only influence a creature's attitude, but the creature itself retains normal control over its behavior, while compulsion effects directly force a creature to do something, as long as it doesn't threaten the creature's well-being)

Nice spell. I could see a succubus really getting a kick out of a sexy Santa costume and this spell, give her all the negative levels she wanted.

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-17, 03:50 AM
Corrected, thanks, NeoSeraphi. I tend to be more of a blaster when I make casters or spells, so the fact I got as much right as I did sort of surprises me.

Do you think I leveled it well? I'm bad at judging spell power. Does this sound like a level 2 spell?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 03:54 AM
Corrected, thanks, NeoSeraphi. I tend to be more of a blaster when I make casters or spells, so the fact I got as much right as I did sort of surprises me.

Do you think I leveled it well? I'm bad at judging spell power. Does this sound like a level 2 spell?

I don't see why not. It's pretty much a very limited silent image spell, with a small compulsory effect locked in. Seems good to me.

The Succubus
2011-12-17, 06:15 AM
Also, this is a (compulsion) effect, not a (charm) effect. (Charm effects only influence a creature's attitude, but the creature itself retains normal control over its behavior, while compulsion effects directly force a creature to do something, as long as it doesn't threaten the creature's well-being)

Nice spell. I could see a succubus really getting a kick out of a sexy Santa costume and this spell, give her all the negative levels she wanted.

:smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2011-12-17, 11:33 AM
Rather than making this a spell, why not make it a magic item? It seems to be two spells (one creates the mistletoe and the other imbues it with its magical properties). Spells are normally only one school and this spell uses two, which is what made me think of the result being an item rather than the effect of a spell.

As a spell, it is far too limited in scope. Other than use for creating mayhem at Christmas parties, is there a reason a character would take this? Also, the caster is just as easily affected as anyone else. After all, the caster can see the target!

Debby

Cieyrin
2011-12-17, 11:37 AM
You could probably get away with just calling it an Illusion (Pattern) [Mind-Affecting], like Hypnotic Pattern (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hypnoticPattern.htm), since its the image is the thing making them strongly consider oral bondage. :smallwink:

Eurus
2011-12-17, 12:59 PM
Hah, for some reason I imagine discreetly casting this spell to provide an excellent distraction in social interactions. Anywhere from a busy marketplace to a high society dinner... :smallbiggrin:

Noctis Vigil
2011-12-17, 02:31 PM
Rather than making this a spell, why not make it a magic item? It seems to be two spells (one creates the mistletoe and the other imbues it with its magical properties). Spells are normally only one school and this spell uses two, which is what made me think of the result being an item rather than the effect of a spell.

As a spell, it is far too limited in scope. Other than use for creating mayhem at Christmas parties, is there a reason a character would take this? Also, the caster is just as easily affected as anyone else. After all, the caster can see the target!

Debby

Thanks for your input. The spell is really more of a joke than a serious spell, and in fact started out as an offhanded comment a buddy made to me. I just took it and ran with it. I'm not super concerned about how limited the scope is, though if you have any suggestions to make the spell better/more useable, by all means share, I'm all ears.

As for the caster...he's supposed to be immune, I can't believe I forgot that part! :smalleek: