PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Things!

Rhaegar14
2011-12-17, 05:06 AM
Is it at all possible to pull off a throwing weapon build? I can see how you could do it okay-ish by level 9 or so (Scout/Bloodstorm Blade mounted on a Riding Dog to get full attacks with Skirmish Damage), but I'm looking for more than okay-ish.

Before someone says it, Hulking Hurler is not at all what I'm looking for. XD

Gandariel
2011-12-17, 05:49 AM
i am making such charachter right now..
What i have come up with is, for now,

Rogue1/Swashbuckler 3/Rogue+2/Master thrower5/Invisible blade5/BloodstormBladeX With a dip in swordsage somewhere to get both Assassin's stance AND the feat which gives Dex to damage while in a shadow hand stance.
Feats would be Daring outlaw, point blank shot, rapid shot, precise shot, weapon focus(this is to qualify for PrCs...), the two weapon fighting chain.
Weapon finesse and quickdraw are free from classes
Race is either whisper gnome or strongheart halfling, and i'm considering taking the Dark template for the cool Hide in plain sight thing.

This guy should be quite sneaky, get consistently sneak attacks, and be good with daggers both melee and ranged..

What do you think?

Rhaegar14
2011-12-17, 06:00 AM
Couple things I see right off the bat:

1) Shadow Blade only applies to melee attacks.

2) You need an Iron Heart Maneuver and Stance to qualify for Bloodstorm Blade.

3) All of your WBL will go to daggers if you plan on throwing them. Even with the Returning property, they don't return until the beginning of the next round. A Master Thrower will throw four daggers per iterative. That's what makes Lightning Ricochet (Bloodstorm Blade 4) really, really good; the weapons return instantly.

4) Sneak Attack isn't very good on ranged attacks without spellcasting or some other way of ensuring enemies are flat-footed.

5) Invisible Blade just seems unnecessary.

Gandariel
2011-12-17, 06:17 AM
aww =(
heh, i'm still a newbie, i'll get better eventually :P

Anyway, the point was being good at using daggers both in melee and ranged

Also i have very good Hide and Move silently, hide in plain sight and eventually a ring of blinking.. i don't think i'll have that many problems getting a sneak attack (in melee i also have the Invisible blade feint thing)

Rhaegar14
2011-12-17, 06:23 AM
Also, Master Thrower is pretty lame, mostly because all of their cool abilities cost them their full attack. Palm Throw was errata'd so that you only apply precision-based damage (Sneak Attack, etc) once, even though you're throwing two weapons.

Lastly, Daring Outlaw probably isn't worth the feat if you're only taking three levels of Swashbuckler. If you're trying to save feats on it, dip one level of Fighter for Weapon Finesse and all those nice proficiencies.

Curmudgeon
2011-12-17, 06:44 AM
Being on a mount of any sort will never trigger skirmish damage; check the Complete Adventurer Errata.

Rhaegar14
2011-12-17, 06:46 AM
Really? Damn. Why can't people who don't fling fireballs with their minds have nice things?

Rorrik
2011-12-17, 11:16 AM
I saw this and got excited, I know cantrips aren't supposed to be powerful or anything, but I saw mage hand can throw things 15 ft. If these throws can be effective attacks you could throw one enemies unattended dagger at another enemy from around the corner or something.

Rorrik
2011-12-17, 11:18 AM
I saw this and got excited, I know cantrips aren't supposed to be powerful or anything, but I saw mage hand can throw things 15 ft. If these throws can be effective attacks you could throw one enemies unattended dagger at another enemy from around the corner or something.

Salanmander
2011-12-17, 01:23 PM
Also, Master Thrower is pretty lame, mostly because all of their cool abilities cost them their full attack. Palm Throw was errata'd so that you only apply precision-based damage (Sneak Attack, etc) once, even though you're throwing two weapons.

Uhhh...weak spot? All your attacks are now touch attacks, have a nice day? If you /have/ a reliable way of getting your opponents flat footed you never have to worry about attack rolls again, and can TWF and rapid shot to your heart's content.

Also, palm throw may not apply precision damage more times, but being able to fling more weapons, even small shuriken, is nothing to sneeze at when you're making 5-8 attacks a round. (oils of flaming arrow anyone?)

aeauseth
2011-12-17, 02:39 PM
You might find Mjolnir Bloodstorm (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mjolnir_Bloodstorm_-Thor) an interesting throwing build.

Warblade 7 / Crusader 1 / Barbarian 1 / Bloodstorm Blade 4/ Master Thrower 5

Lateral
2011-12-17, 03:17 PM
I'm actually playing a 6th level throwing build right now, and he's kicking some ass. He's a Scout 3/Ranger 3; Swift Hunter, of course. The one thing that the DM gave the character that isn't RAW is that he let me ignore the errata that prevents a scout from triggering skirmish on a mount, but he did that mostly because that errata was completely pointless and stupid as hell. (Honestly, I haven't played with a single DM who stuck so closely to what WotC says that they've used that rule; check with your DM.)

I have the sheet here. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=335658) The main schtick is that he uses Boomerang Daze to lock down an opponent; with Improved Skirmish, he consistently does enough damage per hit that the DCs are usually nearly impossible to make. He only gets one attack per round, though, but the build as planned is to take a level of Wizard and then head into Unseen Seer; next level, he gets Boomerang Ricochet as a bonus feat (Martial Wizard variant) and the level after, he gets his first iterative.

Rhaegar14
2011-12-17, 08:50 PM
Uhhh...weak spot? All your attacks are now touch attacks, have a nice day? If you /have/ a reliable way of getting your opponents flat footed you never have to worry about attack rolls again, and can TWF and rapid shot to your heart's content.

Also, palm throw may not apply precision damage more times, but being able to fling more weapons, even small shuriken, is nothing to sneeze at when you're making 5-8 attacks a round. (oils of flaming arrow anyone?)

Just reread that entry. Totally thought it said "as a standard action" in there somewhere hahaha.

Lateral, what book is the boomerang in?

Lateral
2011-12-17, 09:05 PM
Lateral, what book is the boomerang in?

One of the Eberron books. ECS, I think. Boomerang Daze and Ricochet are in Races of Eberron, and Dead Eye is Dragon Compendium.

Elboxo
2011-12-17, 09:15 PM

3) All of your WBL will go to daggers if you plan on throwing them. Even with the Returning property, they don't return until the beginning of the next round. A Master Thrower will throw four daggers per iterative. That's what makes Lightning Ricochet (Bloodstorm Blade 4) really, really good; the weapons return instantly.

Gauntlet of infinite blades, MiC 6,500 GP

Also I built a level 10 Thug Fighter - Master Thrower ECL 10 that I was thinking of using for the campaign I'm in atm, our DM gives us feats at odd levels, so it worked better, but the basis of the class was Brutal Throw ( Power Attack on thrown weapons ) Palm Throw with the Master Throw peak ability on a small race, so touch attacks to hit targets your size or larger. It also had Ranged Weapon Mastery for extra To-Hit and Damage with daggers, a well as ITWF for extra attacks.

In the end with 10/5 BaB and 2 Off hand attacks on a full attack, full Power attacking gave it quite a bit of damage, along the lines of 1d4+13, 1d4+13, 1d4+8,1d4+8,1d4+13,1d4+13,1d4+13,1d4+13 ( Four attacks, Palm Throw for 2 knives per attack, Power Attack of 10 or 5, with +3 damage from Ranged Weapon Mastery. The bonus to hit was rather low ( +7 - +2 ) though this was on a medium sized character and was excluding Point Blank Shot, and on touch attacks you stand a decent chance of at least half of these hitting.

Lateral
2011-12-17, 09:20 PM
Oh, yeah; it's possible to make kickass psionic throwing builds, as well; Telekinetic Boomerang is a 3rd level power that allows you to, as a swift action, give your thrown weapon 'super-returning' for rounds/level.

Rhaegar14
2011-12-17, 09:22 PM
Yeah, but the problem with the Gauntlet is that the "spammable" daggers are nonmagical... all your WBL is going to go into daggers because of what happens when that dragon shows up with DR/magic, or worse yet, that incorporeal wraith shows up.

Tr011
2011-12-17, 11:18 PM
I am currently playing a Half-Minotaur Neraph (LA 1) / Barbarian 1 / Ex-Chaos-Monk 1 / Fighter 2 / Warblade 1 / Bloodstormblade 10 / Swordsage 1 / Master Thrower 2 / Swordsage +1. (Right now he is lvl 12).

He got 32 base Strength (no items, just permanent enlarge) at lvl 12 and does 25d6+Str via Fling Enemy. He can easily throw teammates and/or enemies thru the battlefield, does tons of damage via Full Attack, got an ok AC and good saves, he has Improved Grab, Improved Grapple and Multigrab to ensure to use his Grapple modifier of +34 well while he still can Trip Enemies as a free action when using his Natural Weapon. He also got Mage Slayer for some additional AoOs. Just OK+ at dealing damage in melee, range, tanking, tripping and grappling.

kulosle
2011-12-18, 09:41 AM

1) Shadow Blade only applies to melee attacks.

2) You need an Iron Heart Maneuver and Stance to qualify for Bloodstorm Blade.

4) Sneak Attack isn't very good on ranged attacks without spellcasting or some other way of ensuring enemies are flat-footed.

5) Invisible Blade just seems unnecessary.

1) BSB ranged attacks counts as melee
2) feats can get you this but a warblade dip is better
3) this is just true. He needs four awesome daggers.
4&5) invisible blades free feint is great, except... DARN ERRATA!!! both of these are totally unnecessary nerfs.

Suggestion: drunken master and bloodstorm blade. Literally throw anything. not too strong but fun as hell.

The Underlord
2011-12-18, 09:47 AM
I'm in Lateral's campaign and he is kicking ass.

I'm making a character for a different game that is a little riducluous. Its a ranged grappling build

Barbarian 1/Totemist 3/ Fighter 1/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm blade 2//LA 1/Cleric/Radiant Severnt of Pelor the Burning Hate 7.

He uses girallon blessing's and arms to get 6 arms. Persisted bloodwind lets me throw natural attacks, bloodstorm blade lets them count as melee atttacks again. Improved grab means I can attempt to grapple them. By taking a -20 penaly, I can grapple with only the arm, meaning I grapple up to 6 enemies at a time.

Rhaegar14
2011-12-18, 09:49 AM
1) BSB ranged attacks counts as melee
2) feats can get you this but a warblade dip is better
3) this is just true. He needs four awesome daggers.
4&5) invisible blades free feint is great, except... DARN ERRATA!!! both of these are totally unnecessary nerfs.

Suggestion: drunken master and bloodstorm blade. Literally throw anything. not too strong but fun as hell.

I was commenting on the build he gave me, which had no Warblade and very late Bloodstorm Blade. The throwing anything theme, while awesome, is not the theme this thread is looking for. I'm talking about the guy who throws weapons that were intended to be thrown lol.