PDA

View Full Version : Rebirth

Haedrian
2011-12-17, 05:43 AM
Hopefully this won't sound like a shameless plug.

I've written (together with a friend) a rule system for a post-apocalyptic pen and paper game. I've released the game (together with the documentation, a helper for DMs and a ready-made adventure) under the Creative Commons license so its free.

If anyone wants to give it a try, give me some feedback/advice or just play it and enjoy it you get download it from the website. There's a summary in the main documentation if you don't want to bother reading the whole book.

www.exogendenied.com

Thanks in advance.

(Should this have been under the homebrewing forum?)

Incanus Kindler
2011-12-17, 01:44 PM
I think it looks very interesting. I love games that aren't level or class based and I like the fact that you leave charisma up to the players, not the characters. I haven't looked at the whole thing yet, seeing as how the player's guide is 300 pages, but it looks like you have a solid roleplaying game there.

You said you wrote this with your friend? Just wondering how much playtesting this game has gone through.

Haedrian
2011-12-17, 01:55 PM
Well I'm the one who did all the writing, but we discussed the ideas and rules and thought everything up together.

Regarding playtesting, we had 7 or 8 campaigns with different people. The ready made adventure was played twice by different groups both by people who never Oversaw anything earlier.

It could still use some more testing and more different playthroughs. There are still some overpowered builds but we diminished them as much as we could. So if you try it out and catch anything do tell me.

Haedrian
2011-12-19, 01:17 PM
If any of you gentlemen or ladies want to try it out, I might be enticed to hold an online gaming session if there is enough interest. You won't be expected to read more than the 10 minute summary.

Vknight
2011-12-19, 02:03 PM
I grabbed it pulled it and will now prepare some scenarios to test it etc.
And once my work Is complete I will know what needs be done

Haedrian
2011-12-23, 01:21 PM
I grabbed it pulled it and will now prepare some scenarios to test it etc.
And once my work Is complete I will know what needs be done

I'm not sure what you're doing exactly, but do you have any results?

And thanks.

Volos
2011-12-23, 03:07 PM
This looks downright amazing. This is inspired by fallout I take it? I'll give my review once I've had a chance to really read it over. I may be inspired to run a PbP game based on this, or to play in such a game at the very least.

Bearpunch
2011-12-23, 06:38 PM
The only problem I see with it (and I only read up to and thorugh the skills pages) is the skill explanations are vague, and the sample DCs aren't on all skills, unless I am just imagining things.

The concept, however, is pretty sweet. I love classless systems.

Haedrian
2011-12-24, 04:55 AM
The only problem I see with it (and I only read up to and thorugh the skills pages) is the skill explanations are vague, and the sample DCs aren't on all skills, unless I am just imagining things.

The concept, however, is pretty sweet. I love classless systems.

Hmm, I went through them. The production and combat skills really are void of explanation - but that's because they're more explained in the crafting and combat section.

I will however make the section a bit larger than the one or two lines it is currently. It does look too short.

Sample DCs aren't avaliable on all skills because some of them don't really have sample DCs. The mechanics/electronics are a good example - locks are produced using the crafting system and so the designer (and his skill) chooses how difficult they are to break through. I will put additional notes to that effect. Thanks for the feedback. I will update it later today.
--
@Volos:

It was inspired by fallout as we were both playing a lot of Fallout1/2 in the earlier periods. However the similarity in the mechanics ends there, the mechanics are totally different, although the setting is rather similar.

I'm glad you seem to like it and hope it'll continue that way ;)

Nepenthe
2011-12-25, 03:18 AM
I gave this a quick skim, and I have to say I'm intrigued. Unfortunately, my group has too many irons in the fire already. I'll definitely keep an eye on this though. It seems like a good fit for my group once we resolve some of our ongoing games.

You should really consider finding a proof/copy reader though. The document is absolutely riddled with typos, and I almost quit reading entirely the first time I saw "s/he."

Haedrian
2011-12-25, 03:23 AM
Finding a proof-reader will be rather hard, but I'll try. I realise its full of typos, but finding someone willing to read deeply though 280 + 100-something pages isn't very easy.

What's wrong with s/he ? What's the PC term these days?
--
I expanded on the skill chapter yesterday by the way, hopefully it looks better now.

DefKab
2011-12-25, 12:41 PM
Regarding proofreading, you could probably find a couple of people, split the document by chapters, and it would be less of a slog to go through. I'll put in my hat. I'm no certified proofreader, but I'm confident that I can knock out a good ammount of the typos.
And for the s/he problem, the most common convention is to pick a gender for the entire document, or switch genders per chapter or the like. I personally prefer a straight masculine gender, with a small part mentioning that the term 'he' refers to any character, of any gender.

Nepenthe
2011-12-26, 02:11 AM
The correct third person pronoun when dealing with a person of undetermined gender is "he." This does not assume that all players (or characters) are male. Non-words like "s/he" actually create a distinction that wouldn't otherwise exist just so people can feel "PC."

It's like saying "Please pass the red, blue, green, yellow, orange, pink, white and black jelly beans" instead of just "Please pass the jellybeans." The default usage is inclusive, so there's no need to go out of your way in order to not exclude.

Sorry, just one of my pet peeves.

Haedrian
2011-12-26, 01:44 PM
Regarding: S/he - Duly noted. I will remove them for the next release.

Regarding: Proof Reading. Breaking it up into chapters is a good idea, I'll have a think about how it can be done (I think pdfs support highlighting now). The problem is getting volunteers. I can't pay people for the service. Ah well. I'll see.

-
For those who have read the crafting section (if you haven't, please read it I'm very very proud of it) - would it be easier if I go to the trouble of writing a computer program to help? It'd take a bit of effort to write it, so do you think its worth the effort? Would it make the crafting aspect easier or is it easy enough?

Vistar
2012-01-04, 07:30 AM
Hi guys. I'm the friend haedrian is talking about. We tested the game out with a couple of groups and haedrian ran a few online games as well I think. Mechanics wise it works, but we are really interested to see how easy it is for someone to pickup without the creators being available however.

Haedrian
2012-01-05, 09:26 AM
Allright I went through the document personally and corrected any mistakes, typos and s/he s I found. Didn't take me as long as I thought it would.

Anyhoo if you spot any additional typos feel free to hit me up. Any one of you gentlemen and ladies tried a campaign yet?