PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5]Samurai Rework[DnD 3.99 Project] P.E.A.C.H.

Drako_Beoulve
2011-12-17, 12:54 PM
Samurai that relies on Iaijutsu focus skill.

This is an Alpha version, I think it needs more work.

THE SAMURAI

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/20/d4/18/20d4187621fd12788549462b3bdb496f.jpg

LevelBABFortRefWillFeaturesMax Weapon bonus
11022Samurai Blades, Bonus Feat
22033Kiai Shout (1/Day)
33133Uncanny dodge, Kiai Shout (HP Recovery)
44144Iaijutsu Strike
55144Ancestral link, Indomitable Will(Immune to Fear), Bonus Feat+1
66255Kiai Shout (2/Day)
77255Evasion, Kiai Shout (Shake off negative conditions)+2
88266Iaijutsu stance,+3
99366Indomitable Will(Immune to Charm), Bonus Feat
1010377Kiai Shout (3/Day)+4
1111377Improved Uncanny dodge, Kiai Shout (HP Recovery x2)+5
1212488Maximize Iaijutsu
1313498Indomitable Will(Immune to Compulsion), Bonus Feat+6*
1414499Kiai Shout (4/Day)+7*
1515599Mettle, Kiai Shout (Ability damage Heal)
161651010Supreme Iaijutsu+8*
171751010Indomitable Will(Immune to Illusions), Bonus Feat+9*
181861111Kiai Shout (5/Day)
191961111Indomitable Warrior, Kiai Shout (HP Recovery x3)+10*
202061212Iaijutsu of Legend
EPIC LEVELS
21+11
22Kiai Shout (6/Day)
23Bonus Epic Feat
24Kiai Shout (HP Recovery x4)
25Bonus Epic Feat
26+12
27Kiai Shout (7/Day)
28Bonus Epic Feat
29Kiai Shout (Heal Ability Damage = CHA x2)
30Bonus Epic Feat

*: * A weapon can’t actually have an enhancement bonus higher than +5 at non-epic levels, but it can have special abilities that are the equivalent of additional bonuses.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Class Skills
The Samurai’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft(Weaponsmithing) (Int), Craft(Armorsmithing) (Int), Craft(Bowmaking) (Int),Diplomacy (Cha), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int),Listen (Wis), Profession() (Wis),Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis) and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

All the following are class features of the Samurai.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Samurais are proficient with all simple martial weapons and Samurai blades (see below); with light, Medium and heavy armor. Samurais doesn't have proficiency with shields.

Samurai Blades(Su)
Samurais gains Weapon Focus(Samurai Blades) at 1st level. Samurai blades are: Katana(Exotic Bastard Sword), Wakizashi(Exotic Short Sword), Tanto(Exotic Dagger) and No-Dachi(Exotic Greatsword, 10' Reach). The Samurai Blades are considered signature weapons to Samurai, also all samurai blades the Samurai may craft are considered masterwork.

Kiai Shout(Ex)
Starting 2nd level and as a free action, the Samurai can shout a word that invigorates him. Add a Morale bonus to Attack and Damage Rolls equal to your CHA modifier (min +1) for 1 round plus any number of rounds equal to your CHA modifier if it's positive, Alternatively, at level 4th and as immediate action, the Samurai can Expend one use of the Kiai Shout for the day in order to recover Hit Points equal to CHA mod + Samurai Class Levels; at level 8th, the Samurai can instead expend one use of the Kiai Shout as an immediate action to shake off any negative conditions he is suffering except for death condition; at level 12th the Hit point recovery from this feature doubles; at level 16th the Samurai can expend one use of the Kiai Shout as an immediate action to heal ability damage equal to CHA Mod points, you may distribute this healing between abilities; at level 20th the Hit point recovery from this feature triples it's effect.

This feature can be once per day and you gain an additional use of it every four levels (6th, 10th, 14th and 18th)

Uncanny Dodge(Ex)
At level 3rd, the samurai gains Uncanny dodge as the Rogue class feature.

Iaijutsu Strike(Ex)
Starting at level 4th and once per round, when doing an attack (either single attack or as part of a full round attack), you can make a Iaijutsu Focus skill check Vs your target's Sense Motive skill check (If your target has no Sense Motive ranks you automatically win the contest), if you win the contest treat your signature weapon as if it where just drawn this turn and the target is considered flat-footed for this attack. Iaijutsu Strike does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Ancestral Link(Su)
Starting at level 5th, The character focuses part of his life energy on a Samurai blade, making it more effective in the hands of the Samurai, others see and feels the Samurai blade as a regular weapon when seeing or using it, only the Samurai with the linked weapon can benefit of the effects of the weapon. The Samurai can create a spirit link with a Samurai blade imbuing it with an enhancement bonus or special weapon property according to the Samurai's feature table; to doing so, the Samurai must find a quiet, safe spot to meditate and pray to it's ancestors' spirits for 24 hours. At the end of this meditation the blade becomes a magic weapon (if it wasn’t already) and gains an enhancement bonus and/or special abilities. His current class level limits the amount of enhancement a Samurai can place into the blade.

If the ritual is interrupted, it can be begun again at any time, but it must run for a full 24 hours for the signature weapon to be imbued. A Samurai’s blade weapon has a caster level equal to the character’s class level + Half his CHA Modifier.

Bonus Feat
At 1st level and every Four levels thereafter (5th, 9th, 13th, and 17th), the Samurai gets an additional bonus feat from the following list: Weapon Finesse (Samurai Blades), Weapon Specialization (Samurai Blades), Greater Weapon Focus(Samurai Blades), Skill Focus(Iaijutsu Focus), Alertness and any other Fighter or Martial Feat. You must meet feat prerequisites; treat levels in Samurai as levels of Fighter class for purposes of meet Fighter level prerequisites.

Indomitable Will(Su)
Against all Odds, the Samurais keep fighting no matter what. Starting at level 5th the samurai gains Immunity to all kinds of fear effects, as well as charms (9th level), compulsion (13th level) and Illusions (17th level).

Evasion(Ex)
At level 7th, the samurai gains Evasion as the Rogue class feature.

Iaijutsu Stance(Ex)
As a swift action, starting from level 8th, the Samurai can enter an Iaijutsu Stance. while in Iaijutsu Stance, the Samurai can Sheathe or fold back his weapon as a free action. You gain a +1 Insight bonus per each five levels of Samurai to your iaijutsu Focus checks, In addition, you can perform a Iaijutsu Strike when doing an AoO but only if you are in Iaijutsu Stance.

Improved Uncanny Dodge(Ex)
At level 11th the Uncanny dodge feature improves.

Maximize Iaijutsu(Ex)
Starting level 13th the samurai can maximize the rolls of the damage bonus from the Iaijutsu focus skill check. You can use this feature CHA times per day up to Samurai class level.

Mettle(Ex)
At level 15th the Samurai gains Mettle class feature. If a Samurai makes a successful Will or Fortitude saving throw that would normally reduce the spell's effect, the samurai suffers no effect from the spell at all. Only those spells with a Saving Throw entry of "Will partial," "Fortitude half," or similar entries can be negated through this ability.

Supreme Iaijutsu(Ex)
At level 16th, You can cut the air with your weapon when doing a Iaijutsu Focus check, effectively attacking your target from distance at range of 10ft + 5ft times Samurai Class. Although this attack still counts as a melee attack, the Samurai can benefit from feats and effects that affects Throwing weapons.

Indomitable Warrior(Su)
The Samurai are know for their willpower to continue fighting when there is so much hurt done to them. At 19th level you add your CHA modifier as a bonus to your HP the same way as your CON modifier bonus.

Iaijutsu of Legend(Su)
Your Iaijutsu Focus bonus damage Increases to +1d6 beyond the 9d6 limit every 5 points above 50 in your Iaijutsu focus check result.

New Feats

Extra Kiai Shout
Gain an aditional use of the Kiai Shout for the day. This feat can be selected multiple times, it's effects stacks.

Kyuu Himura
2011-12-22, 09:34 PM
Kodashi(Short Sword

I think you mean the wakizashi, which is the shortsword traditionally paired with the katana, I would treat a kodachi as a different kind of weapon, maybe making stats for it.

The Samurai’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft(Samurai Blade) (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Forgery (Cha), Iaijutsu Focus (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int),Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Run (Str), Sleight of Hand (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis) and Tumble (Dex).

I see no reason for forgery in there, Samurai were supposed to be honest and truthful warriors, forgery and other such activities are below a true warrior. Why is there no Sense Motive in there??

Honorable Kill(Su)
Whenever the Samurai attacks and leaves with 0 or less hit points an enemy that is equal or greater than his Character level, the Samurai heals itself 1d4 hp per two Samurai levels (rounded down) plus CHA mod.

Do you add your CHA mod to every d4 or just once?? please clarify.

Also, there are a lot of class features you aren't explaining.

Other than that, it actually looks pretty good

Drako_Beoulve
2011-12-29, 12:46 PM
I think you mean the wakizashi, which is the shortsword traditionally paired with the katana, I would treat a kodachi as a different kind of weapon, maybe making stats for it.
I'll change the name to wakisashi, the kodashi seems to be the same as wakisashi. Also adding the Masamune (Two-Handed Sword with reach little reach), stats later.

I see no reason for forgery in there, Samurai were supposed to be honest and truthful warriors, forgery and other such activities are below a true warrior. Why is there no Sense Motive in there?? good catch, I'll remove forgery and add sense motive.

Do you add your CHA mod to every d4 or just once?? please clarify.just once, I'll clarify this with an example.

Also, there are a lot of class features you aren't explaining.

Other than that, it actually looks pretty good
thank you for your review

Drako_Beoulve
2012-03-26, 10:18 PM
Some updates:

-Removed the 1st level bonus Feat as Samurai already gains Weapon Focus at the same level.

-Added missing Blade defense, Unanny dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge's missing description.

-Bonus feat list redone

-Iaijutsu Smite becomes Iaijutsu Smiting and now is usable times per day and adds it's bonus equal to CHA modifier. Also speed is decreased to Swift action rather than free action on the first levels.

-Added the Ancestral Link feature and modify the table to show the weapon bonuses and Xp costs (Like Kensai's feature).

JadePhoenix
2012-03-27, 08:24 AM
I really don't think a samurai class should be only focused on iaijutsu. It's too narrow. Not all samurai were skilled in iai. Mounted archery is a big part of samurai mythos, as is dual wielding, and none of it is focused upon with this class.
You have a typo on weapon proficiencies - marital instead of martial weapons. You also have samurai proficient with light and heavy (but not medium) armor.
Since when is Run a skill? Sleight of Hand is a Dex skill... and also something that samurai shouldn't get. Samurai should get all Craft skills as class skills (caligraphy springs to mind), and there is no 'samurai blade' craft (it's weaponsmithing).
Masamune is the name of a blacksmith. The type of sword is called no-dachi.
The class features seem too generic and bland. When they don't, they feel too powerful and forced. The one thing I really did like was Samurai getting uncanny dodge.
Sorry but as written I see no point to this class. The Iaijutsu Master fills the role a lot better. You really should add different fighting styles (zen archery, mounted archery, two-handed brute (Kojiro), dual wield (Musashi) and of course iaijutsu), scale down the iaijutsu skills (you keep multiplying everything by X!), review that messed up skill list and add some fluff. This really does need a lot of work, but it looks like you're willing to put work into it.

Drako_Beoulve
2012-03-28, 02:08 AM
I really don't think a samurai class should be only focused on iaijutsu. It's too narrow. Not all samurai were skilled in iai. Mounted archery is a big part of samurai mythos, as is dual wielding, and none of it is focused upon with this class.
You have a typo on weapon proficiencies - marital instead of martial weapons. You also have samurai proficient with light and heavy (but not medium) armor.
Since when is Run a skill? Sleight of Hand is a Dex skill... and also something that samurai shouldn't get. Samurai should get all Craft skills as class skills (caligraphy springs to mind), and there is no 'samurai blade' craft (it's weaponsmithing).
Masamune is the name of a blacksmith. The type of sword is called no-dachi.
The class features seem too generic and bland. When they don't, they feel too powerful and forced. The one thing I really did like was Samurai getting uncanny dodge.
Sorry but as written I see no point to this class. The Iaijutsu Master fills the role a lot better. You really should add different fighting styles (zen archery, mounted archery, two-handed brute (Kojiro), dual wield (Musashi) and of course iaijutsu), scale down the iaijutsu skills (you keep multiplying everything by X!), review that messed up skill list and add some fluff. This really does need a lot of work, but it looks like you're willing to put work into it.

Thank you for the feedback. As you can see in the very top of the post I wrote that this homebrew it's an alpha version, this idea was sppited out of my mind while at work and no book for references; as a half cooked idea there is almost all fluff missing.

This Homebrewed CLass was intended to have all the prerequisites to do a clean multiclassing with the Iaijutsu Master class.

You're right, Samurais have a world of combating to cover, I'll try to assemble an idea to reflect the diferent combat styles including archery and mounting, maybe changing the Samurai Blades feature to Samurai Weapons and divert into bows, lances, etc. not only in swords.

The Iaijutsu Focus skill was the star of this homebrew and I tried the class to use it often with the Sleight of Hand skill, but seems that Bluff is the right skill to use. Maybe I'll move the Iaijutsu to a combat style and reduce the skill that relies on Iaijutsu focus.

Drako_Beoulve
2012-03-28, 02:14 AM
Updates:

- Skill list redone.
- Some typos corrected.

Drako_Beoulve
2012-04-04, 08:16 PM
More Updates:

- Removed Blade defense, replaced with Indomitable warrior.

- Replaced Sleight of Hand for Bluff in the Iaijutsu Strike entry

- Removed Sleight of Hand from the class skills.

Empedocles
2012-04-05, 04:29 PM
This class is good for what it's trying to accomplish. Flavor wise, you have a fighter who jumps into combat, shouts loudly, then makes a slash that deals obscene amounts of damage.

But...what if the enemy is flying? There's a magic wall up? The enemy has a bow? You're subject to an illusion? This class has literally no alternative options. No versatility. Even the fighter is more versatile then this, since it can at least be optimized for specific situations. This is like a fighter who's been optimized for fighting for you.

EDIT: Also, don't cross stuff out if you remove or change it in the base class itself. Just delete it for ease of reading, and so it looks nicer :smallbiggrin:

Drako_Beoulve
2016-07-30, 10:46 PM
Revamped features and table

Spiryt
2016-07-31, 06:05 AM
Really haven't played 3.5 enough, I guess, but it seems somehow weak still to me.

Bonus Feat are particularly unimpressive, kick in at somehow high levels, while all Feats it offers would likely be needed straight away at lower levels.

Free Improved Initiative is very nice, but that's probably it?

Drako_Beoulve
2020-11-10, 12:18 AM
- Removed XP costs for Ancestral Link Feature
- Changed Supreme Iaijutsu feature to be a Ranged option
- Modified Bonus feats to include all Fighter and Martial feats
- Added more stuff to do with Kiai Shout
- Modified Epic progression to add Weapon enhancement progression and Kiai shout effects progression