PDA

View Full Version : Building a Paragon-Level Artifact from scratch?

Christopher K.
2011-12-17, 03:11 PM
'eyy, Playground. Does anybody have advice for creating an artifact to last through Paragon Tier for one of my characters(a Deva Invoker)? I'd like to draw from the Redeemer implement in the Fourthcore Armory for story reasons. (Consider it a failsafe in case the party is at the brink of failure at the beginning of Epic Tier)

The story thus far that requires such an artifact:
The party has been, for some time, on a fetchquest in which they battled a criminal organization, a cult, and an army of Warforged for the crown jewels of a long-dead demon lord, said to have the power to resurrect him when reunited. They've been doing pretty well, acquiring two of the twelve, the criminal organization having the other two. The locations of the other eight are still unknown.

The demon lord was defeated in ages long past by champions of several gods in the Dawn War, Io, Moradin, Kord, the Raven Queen, and Haramathur amongst them. When this demon lord was finally defeated, his presence lingered in the form of a dangerous malevolent spirit, which could be broken into pieces, but never truly destroyed. With his last breath, he warned the gods of a disaster in which they would need him alive for his knowledge. Knowing this was probably a ploy but also still wise enough to see the value in it, the gods sealed him into his crown, and divided its jewels amongst their champions. The demon's prophecy has been ignored by the faithful for about a millennium by virtue of never seeming to come true.

Here's what I have so far:
Rod of the Pantheon
The Rod of the Pantheon was carved from the branch of what scholars believe to have been the first tree to grow after the Dawn War. It is notched with religious carvings and symbols of a slew of deities, each depicted to have been involved in the battle with Dreigor. Adorning it are metal rings forged by each of these gods' champions.
The Rod of the Pantheon is a +5 Magic Rod with the following properties and powers:
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: You or one ally within 10 squares of you may spend a healing surge and regain half the normal hit points as a free action, or roll a saving throw against one effect a saving throw can end.
Property: This weapon deals an extra 1d10 damage against anyone directly affiliated with Dreigor. (This includes cultists of Dreigor and the leader of the Obsidian Guild, but does not include mercenaries hired by either party.
Goals of the Rod of the Pantheon
-Oppose the Crimson Crown, the symbol of Dreigor's power
-Keep Dreigor in check if the pieces of the crown are reunited for the wrong reason
-Remind the world that the gods have their best interest in mind, even if at times it seems prayers fall upon deaf ears.
Roleplaying the Rod of the Pantheon
The Rod of the Pantheon itself has only limited means of communication - it provides the wielder with usually subtle clues as a tiny voice's suggestions. It was kept in a vault since its creation, only being removed recently, so it has no idea of Io's bisection, Haramathur's sacrifice, or any world history since the Dawn War.
Concordance
Starting Score 5
Owner gains a level +1d10
Owner can use at least one divine power +2
Owner completes a quest given by a servant of a deity or a deity +1
Owner defeats a demon (maximum 1/day) +1
Owner or an ally renounces any of the gods -2
Owner disobeys a mandate of their religion -2

For when the artifact is pleased, I want it to be given the following as a power:
Power(Consumable): Standard Action Prerequisite: The Crimson Crown has been assembled. Effect: The Rod of the Pantheon crumbles to dust, leaving only the rings that banded it. The wielder of the Rod is stunned for one round, and the Crimson Crown cannot be activated for 24 hours.

At normal Concordance and above, I've decided on this property:
Power(Encounter): Free Action Trigger: You roll damage on a burst or blast attack and one of the dice reads 1. Your attack is considered to have Brutal 1 for resolving this attack's damage.

Other than what I've written, I have no idea what sort of powers to put on this weapon, unless I go for a divine motif, giving a power for each god whose champion was involved in the battle