PDA

View Full Version : Friendship Is An (Ex) Ability [Persona 4/D&D 3.5, PEACH]

Vespe Ratavo
2011-12-17, 04:42 PM
http://www.makigumo.com/n_img/persona4-02.jpg
Bonds of people is the true power.

Not A Chance! [General]
Benefit: When an attack would reduce an ally to 0 or negative hit points, you may use an immediate action to (take a five foot step?/move up to your speed?) to intercept the attack and take the damage/effects yourself. The attack hits you, regardless of AC, but Resistances and Immunities (if applicable) still apply. You may never be reduced to 0 or negative hit points in this manner. You may use this ability once per encounter. The Massive Damage rule still applies.

Follow-Up Attack [General]
Prerequisites: Not A Chance!
Benefit: When an ally scores a critical hit on an enemy (or does damage to an enemy’s Vulnerability?), you may use an immediate action to make a Standard Attack on that same enemy. (If the attack connects, the enemy is knocked prone?)

Don’t Give Up [General]
Prerequisites: Not A Chance!, Follow-Up Attack
Benefit: When you score a critical hit on an enemy (or do damage to an enemy’s Vulnerability?), you may use an immediate action to remove one Status Condition from an ally (except Dead). This is an Extraordinary ability. Your ally must be able to see, hear, or feel you (in the case of a friendly slap) to gain this effect.

Snap Out Of It! [General]
Prerequisites: Not A Chance!, Follow-Up Attack, Don’t Give Up
Benefit: When you score a critical hit on an enemy (or do damage to an enemy’s Vulnerability?), you may use an immediate action to cast (Remove Curse? Heal?) as an Extraordinary ability. Your ally must be able to see, hear, or feel you (in the case of a friendly slap) to gain this effect.

Hang In There [General]
Prerequisites: Not A Chance!, Follow-Up Attack, Don’t Give Up, Snap Out Of It!
Benefit: As long as an ally of equal or higher level than you (with a Friendly or Helpful attitude, if NPC) remains in the battle, you may, once per day, freeze your hit points at 1 when you would normally be reduced to 0 or negative hit points. This effect lasts from the first attack that would bring you to 0, to the same initiative count in the next round. You may not “save” this ability, it applies to the first such attack. The Massive Damage rule does not apply to this ability.

Unbreakable Bond [General]
Prerequisites: Not A Chance!, Follow-Up Attack, Don’t Give Up, Snap Out Of It!, Hang In There
Benefit: Gain two of the following:
* Cold Immunity
* Damage Reduction ?/-
* Fire Immunity
* Resistance To Energy ?
* Spell Resistance ?
* Turn Resistance ?
* Remove one Vulnerability
* (Other Immunities?)
* (Something else cool?)

The Immunities do not give the Vulnerabilities stated in their descriptions.

All feat abilities are Extraordinary if applicable or necessary.

Notes: Long story short, I'm trying to convert some elements of the video games Persona 3 and 4 into D&D terms. These feats are a rough conversion of the Social Link (http://persona4.wikidot.com/linkeffect) effects from 4. Your allies' combat abilities improve the closer you are to them. I'm not much of a crunch person, but I have a feeling these are unbalanced. They might end up part of a class or Social Link optional rule or something, instead of feats. I'd like some advice on how to beef them up and make them more interesting for players, and to bring them more in line with 3.5 language/mechanics. I also have a feeling some of these exist somewhere already, and if they do, I'd like to know where.

Persona 4 has a big emphasis on attacking enemy's elemental weaknesses (i.e. fire, ice, wind, lightning, light, dark) while protecting your own, which D&D doesn't really have. Some of the question-marked, italic sentences in parentheses would be more appropriate in a game with such a focus. These feats also really need some kind of friendship prerequisite, but that's more of a roleplaying thing, I think.

Eakin
2011-12-17, 04:53 PM
I love Persona 4 and I love these. Although I would call the last one "Unbreakable Bond" since "Unbreakable Tie" caused me to immediately think "well, why don't they just flip a coin or something... Oh, THAT'S what he meant!"

You could model strengths as DR against X, but most creatures don't have weaknesses the way they do in Persona. Maybe you could have a scan/pinpoint weakness ability that inflicts them for other party members to follow up on?

And you gotta do something for All Out Assaults. And pick one member of the party who, if he dies the entire party gets instantly KO'd

Vespe Ratavo
2011-12-17, 05:04 PM
I love Persona 4 and I love these. Although I would call the last one "Unbreakable Bond" since "Unbreakable Tie" caused me to immediately think "well, why don't they just flip a coin or something... Oh, THAT'S what he meant!"

You could model strengths as DR against X, but most creatures don't have weaknesses the way they do in Persona. Maybe you could have a scan/pinpoint weakness ability that inflicts them for other party members to follow up on?

And you gotta do something for All Out Assaults.Unbreakable Bond does sound a lot better. I named it Unbreakable Tie for Innocent Sin PSP's opening song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFuO626eug0) of the same name. I have a feeling Scan and All-Out Attack are next, though at this rate I might have to just go and make a Persona-User class (or two, or...). Not sure how All-Out Attack would work, though, maybe make it a Persona-User feature that critical hits and Scan-weakness-exploiting knock the enemy prone? Make the All-Out Attack some kind of group-coup-de-grace?

And pick one member of the party who, if he dies the entire party gets instantly KO'dI think that's called the Cleric. :smalltongue:

Eakin
2011-12-17, 05:39 PM
Unbreakable Bond does sound a lot better. I named it Unbreakable Tie for Innocent Sin PSP's opening song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFuO626eug0) of the same name. I have a feeling Scan and All-Out Attack are next, though at this rate I might have to just go and make a Persona-User class (or two, or...). Not sure how All-Out Attack would work, though, maybe make it a Persona-User feature that critical hits and Scan-weakness-exploiting knock the enemy prone? Make the All-Out Attack some kind of group-coup-de-grace?

Well, for most of the characters in the game a persona-using class is unnecessary since they only pick up a couple different skills. It's the MC who's special and gets to pokemon the crap out of his own psyche. That would be a pain to work into a usable class since it makes him (in-story even) VASTLY more powerful than everyone around him.

AOA just becomes a single melee attack from everyone in the party on a stunned enemy, maybe? That's the best I got off the top of my head