PDA

View Full Version : Vote Up a New Playable Race! Race is Finished! PEACH!

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 05:53 PM
Meduthid

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/365/4/9/the_meduthid_by_lugialegend-d4ku4i8.png
Fantastic Meduthid picture by TinyMushroom

The Meduthid is a hybridization between the mysterious illithids and the deadly medusa. It possesses both the serpent hair of a Medusa and the eerie facial tentacles of the Illithid.

Alignment: The Meduthid tends towards the Lawful Evil alignment, like its parents.

Religion: Meduthids worship Cthulhu. If Cthulhu isn't allowed in your game, chances are meduthids aren't either. If your DM allows you to play a meduthid but not worship Cthulhu, his/her idiocy provokes an attack of opportunity. :smalltongue:

Racial Traits

+2 Charisma, -2 Constitution- A meduthid is a charming creature and her eyes can stop any creature in its tracks. However, she is much frailer than a human.
Medium Aberration- As Medium creatures, meduthids receive no special Size bonuses or penalties. As an aberration, meduthids are not subject to spells and effects that target humanoids, such as dominate person
Land Speed- Meduthids have a base land speed of 30 feet
Gaze Attack (Su)- As a standard action, a meduthid may use a gaze attack against any creature within 30 feet who can see her. Her piercing eyes carry some of the weight of her mother, and any creature who looks into them must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 her character level+her Charisma modifier) or be dazed for one round. After using this ability, a meduthid must wait 1d4 rounds before using her gaze attack again.
Psi-Like Ability (Ps)- The meduthid is able to psionically transfer some of her own wounds to her foe. A meduthid whose Charisma score is at least 13 is able to manifest hostile empathic transfer once per day as a psi-like ability, with a manifester level equal to her character level. The save DC for this ability is 13+her Charisma modifier.
Automatic Languages: Common and Undercommon
Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven
Favored Class: Psion (or Sorcerer, if psionics is not allowed)
LA- +0

Racial Ability Scores and Special Attack (Closed)

Racial Ability Score Adjustments
{table] Name | Votes
+2 Str | 1
+2 Dex |
+2 Con |
+2 Int | 5
+2 Wis | 1
+2 Cha | 12
-2 Str | 5
-2 Dex | 1
-2 Con | 8
-2 Int |
-2 Wis | 3
-2 Cha | 2
[/table]

Extraordinary Abilities
{table] Name | Votes
Tentacles/Improved Grab | 1
Gaze Attack | 12
Natural Bite (snakes in the hair) | 4
[/table]

Psi-Like Abilities (Closed)

Psi-Like Abilities
{table] Name | Votes
Brain Lock | 4
Cloud Mind |
Deja Vu | 1
Demoralize | 1
Disable |
Ego Whip | 1
Empty Mind |
Hostile Empathic Transfer | 5
Mindlink | 1
Mind Thrust | 2
Psionic Blast | 1
Read Thoughts | 4
Time Hop | 2
Ubiquitous Vision | 4
[/table]

Size and Type (Closed)

Size
{table] Size | Votes
Small | 6
Medium | 15
Large | 1
[/table]

Type
{table] Type | Votes
Aberration | 17
Monstrous Humanoid | 5
[/table]

The Options (Closed)

The Options

{table] Name | Votes
Aberration | 1
Air Elemental | 2
Angel | 4
Aquatic Humanoid|
Archon | 1
Centaur | 2
Demon | 1
Devil |
Earth Elemental |
Eladrin |
Fey | 5
Fire Elemental | 1
Genie | 2
Harpy | 1
Illithid |
Intelligent Undead | 2
Invisible Stalker | 1
Living Construct |
Lycanthrope |
Medusa | 1
Meduthid | 7
Ooze | 5
Storm Elemental | 1
Treant | 1
Water Elemental | 1
[/table]

Veklim
2011-12-17, 06:01 PM
Not to be awkward dude, but I'd personally like to see a half-decent Fey race to play. There's so much you can do with them, but so little to start with, and there's only so many pixies one can play before you hanker for something Fey without all the cliches!

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 06:04 PM
Not to be awkward dude, but I'd personally like to see a half-decent Fey race to play. There's so much you can do with them, but so little to start with, and there's only so many pixies one can play before you hanker for something Fey without all the cliches!

Oooh, nice idea! Updated the options. Thanks for your vote. I'm going to go back through the MM carefully and see if there's anything else I missed.

TinyMushroom
2011-12-17, 06:09 PM
I think I'll vote for Fey as well. :smallsmile:

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 06:13 PM
Added a few new options. Didn't want to put too many, as too many options would probably result in a bunch of 1s in the voting.

Zeta Kai
2011-12-17, 06:16 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105652) is how such a contest was attempted in the past.
I shall also like to see a Fey.

Zeofar
2011-12-17, 06:37 PM
I'd like to see a Fey as well.

UrsielHauke
2011-12-17, 06:43 PM
I would love to see a fae. Particularly something having to do with the seelie/unseelie courts.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 06:51 PM
That's 5 votes for Fey so far, and no votes in any other categories. I've decided to keep the voting open until the 23rd, so please, if anyone has any friends who would also be interested in seeing a new playable race, please let them know so we can get a whole lot of input!

The Underlord
2011-12-17, 06:55 PM
I'm going to go with illithid for my vote.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 07:01 PM
Update! Sorry to keep changing the rules, like I said, I'm new to this. Each poster now gets 2 votes, and one of those votes may be used to vote down an option, or both votes may be used to vote for two different options.

Each poster who has already voted once gets an additional vote, of course.

Dandria
2011-12-17, 07:12 PM
Fey? Nay, for me it's Intelligent Undead all the way! And just to make that clear, I think I'll give my vote down to Fey.

Razanir
2011-12-17, 07:23 PM
Fey and LotR-based Treant

UrsielHauke
2011-12-17, 07:37 PM
In that case, I'll give my second vote to Angel.

Zaydos
2011-12-17, 07:38 PM
I've got enough fey to play, and enough ways to be fey themed without being a fey (I'm looking at you fey-heritage warlock I love so much); so I'm going to go for Illithid and Treant.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 07:50 PM
Votes tallied.

Gallus
2011-12-17, 08:16 PM
I'd like to put in my two votes for Harpy, provided it isn't a One Gender Race (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneGenderRace). If not, then 2 for Medusa, with the same stipulation. If neither of those work out, I'd like to double-down vote Fey, just to be fickle.

The Witch-King
2011-12-17, 08:18 PM
Apologies to the denizens of the Seelie and Unseelie Courts but I'm going to have to vote up for the Illithid and down for the Fey.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 08:21 PM
None of my races will be One-Gender specifically, but all of the Elementals and the Living Construct will have no gender, if I make them. Votes tallied.

The Underlord
2011-12-17, 08:26 PM
Voting down fey then.

Zale
2011-12-17, 09:18 PM
I love these.

Vote up Medusa and Demon.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-17, 09:19 PM
Illithid and Fey, for my votes.

Zeofar
2011-12-17, 09:29 PM
If we're getting two, my second vote will be Medusa.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 09:36 PM
All votes tallied.

Mo_the_Hawked
2011-12-17, 10:14 PM
Fey Up and Illithid down. The world has enough scary squid monsters.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-17, 10:21 PM
I'd like to put in my two votes for Harpy, provided it isn't a One Gender Race (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneGenderRace). If not, then 2 for Medusa, with the same stipulation. If neither of those work out, I'd like to double-down vote Fey, just to be fickle.

Just to be clear, you can't use both votes on the same race. So I interpreted this as 1 vote to Harpy, 1 vote to Medusa for now. (Both of them are dual-gender). If that's not the vote you want, then please correct me.

Gallus
2011-12-17, 10:24 PM
That's fine with me, I just seem to have mis-read, but this is probably better, seeing how popular Medusa is getting.

Hyudra
2011-12-17, 10:31 PM
Harpy +1
Centaur +1

togapika
2011-12-17, 10:31 PM
Angel and Genie

Bastian Weaver
2011-12-17, 10:44 PM
Air Elemental. And Fire Elemental.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-17, 11:00 PM
The world has enough scary squid monsters.

LIES! There are NEVER enough scary squid monsters!

Ninja_Grand
2011-12-17, 11:01 PM
Well well well......I want to see a Fae (or Fey) and vote for Angle

Maybe throw it in the campaign :smallamused:

Castiel
2011-12-18, 01:59 AM
Personally? the leshay from the epic rules. They just... seem awesome, but as an epic race its pretty much impossible to do with normal rules. But, thats not on the list so I'll upvote Angel

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 02:02 AM
Personally? the leshay from the epic rules. They just... seem awesome, but as an epic race its pretty much impossible to do with normal rules. But, thats not on the list so I'll upvote Angel

Sorry, I don't deal with epic stuff. Is there another race you'd like to up or down? (You get two votes)

motionmatrix
2011-12-18, 02:17 AM
Throw me down for Invisible Stalker and fey.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 02:19 AM
Throw me down for Invisible Stalker and fey.

Done. :smallbiggrin:

togapika
2011-12-18, 03:13 AM
Change one of mine to add Genie to this list. I've always wanted to play a genie that wasn't some half-breed or watered down descendant crap...

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 03:16 AM
Change one of mine to add Genie to this list. I've always wanted to play a genie that wasn't some half-breed or watered down descendant crap...

Absolutely! But please select one of your votes for me to change. I'm not comfortable just messing one up at random.

Veklim
2011-12-18, 08:25 AM
ooooo, a second vote! I feel so special!

Gonna have to be Medusa for my second then! (I like snakes)

FallenEco
2011-12-18, 09:55 AM
I'll vote up Medusa and Down Fey.

Because I love fey so much, i'd never let my players play them 'cause I want them for plot.

Timeless Error
2011-12-18, 10:54 AM
Fey +1
Illithid -1

The Dark Fiddler
2011-12-18, 11:34 AM
Additionally, I will not be making a playable mindless creature, no matter how many write-in votes they get. So no vermin, oozes or swarms.

You could... you know... make them not mindless. :smallfrown:

Randomguy
2011-12-18, 12:12 PM
If possible I'd like to vote for Crayolons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212740&), since I'd like to see a racial class for them that improves their abilities and stuff. My other vote goes to Water Elementals.

TinyMushroom
2011-12-18, 01:01 PM
I'll vote Illithid up as well.

togapika
2011-12-18, 01:12 PM
Get rid of my vote for storm elemental and add Genie

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 01:28 PM
If possible I'd like to vote for Crayolons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212740&), since I'd like to see a racial class for them that improves their abilities and stuff. My other vote goes to Water Elementals.

I'd rather not step on my fellow homebrewer's toes, sorry.

Edit: Current votes tallied

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-18, 01:50 PM
Upvote Angel X2

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 01:51 PM
Upvote Angel X2

You can't use both votes on the same option, sorry.

Mordokai
2011-12-18, 01:57 PM
Sign me down for a fey and a demon.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 01:59 PM
Sign me down for a fey and a demon.

That's some odd word choice. Do you want me to upvote fey and demon, or downgrade them? (For now I'm going to assume you want upgrades, because that's what it sounds like, but your use of the word "down" is a little strange)

Augmental
2011-12-18, 02:03 PM
Maybe you could make an intelligent ooze? If you can, I'll upvote Ooze and Aberration. If you can't make an intelligent ooze, I'll upvote Aberration and downvote Fey.

radmelon
2011-12-18, 02:06 PM
I'd like to upvote undead and medusa.

Sgt. Cookie
2011-12-18, 02:07 PM
Oh ok. Upvote Angel, and Downvote Fey.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 02:07 PM
Maybe you could make an intelligent ooze? If you can, I'll upvote Ooze and Aberration. If you can't make an intelligent ooze, I'll upvote Aberration and downvote Fey.

The ooze type has the trait "Mindless". I cannot make an ooze that does not have the "Mindless" trait, it's impossible.

Edit: Added the Aberration option, added your vote to it, and moved all the Illithid votes to that category.

Downgrading fey, as you requested.

Mordokai
2011-12-18, 02:34 PM
That's some odd word choice. Do you want me to upvote fey and demon, or downgrade them? (For now I'm going to assume you want upgrades, because that's what it sounds like, but your use of the word "down" is a little strange)

You have a choice to do both?

Yeah, I wanted to upvote both of them.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 02:39 PM
You have a choice to do both?

Yeah, I wanted to upvote both of them.

Nope, you don't, but other people have been having trouble understanding the rules, so...

Okay then! :smallsmile:

The-Mage-King
2011-12-18, 03:22 PM
Changing my vote for Fey to vote down Fey.

I want a playable Illithid, dammit.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-12-18, 03:24 PM
The ooze type has the trait "Mindless". I cannot make an ooze that does not have the "Mindless" trait, it's impossible.

Edit: Added the Aberration option, added your vote to it, and moved all the Illithid votes to that category.

Downgrading fey, as you requested.

Sure you can. Give it:

Mindful (Ex): Unlike most oozes, a FOO is not mindless.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 03:25 PM
Changing my vote for Fey to vote down Fey.

I want a playable Illithid, dammit.

Sure, I'll do that. And if you want a playable illithid, you should get some like-minded people to come and boost aberration.

Deepbluediver
2011-12-18, 04:01 PM
I vote for for the Archon!

There's been so much more fluff written about the evil side of things because most adventurers are at least nominally good-ish, but also because evil is just more awesome, right?

But I'd love to see some more support for the celestial races of good; the good guys could frankly use a little more direct support these days. :smallsmile:

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 04:06 PM
I vote for for the Archon!

There's been so much more fluff written about the evil side of things because most adventurers are at least nominally good-ish, but also because evil is just more awesome, right?

But I'd love to see some more support for the celestial races of good; the good guys could frankly use a little more direct support these days. :smallsmile:

Archon vote added. Did you want to do something with your second vote? Either downgrade another option, or perhaps vote up a different option you'd like to see?

Tvtyrant
2011-12-18, 04:09 PM
I vote Fey.

The Witch-King
2011-12-18, 04:11 PM

Two things:

One, sure you can make an intelligent ooze. You can do whatever you want. And as someone already said, you can just add Mindful. (Besides which, wasn't there already an intelligent ooze PC race in Dragonstar somewhere?)

Two, and I'm not trying to start anything with anybody--but I didn't vote for Aberration, I voted for Illithid. If the new rule is that we're going to vote for types instead, shouldn't Angels and Archons be merged into Outsiders or Celestials or something, shouldn't Medusa be changed to Monstrous Humanoid?

Give me Illithids or give me de--okay, that might be going too far. How about--give me illithids or please play fair?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 04:14 PM
Two things:

One, sure you can make an intelligent ooze. You can do whatever you want. And as someone already said, you can just add Mindful. (Besides which, wasn't there already an intelligent ooze PC race in Dragonstar somewhere?)

I've never heard of "Mindful". What is that?

Two, and I'm not trying to start anything with anybody--but I didn't vote for Aberration, I voted for Illithid. If the new rule is that we're going to vote for types instead, shouldn't Angels and Archons be merged into Outsiders or Celestials or something, shouldn't Medusa be changed to Monstrous Humanoid?

Give me Illithids or give me de--okay, that might be going too far. How about--give me illithids or please play fair?

That's true. Alright. I'll separate them, sorry.

Zale
2011-12-18, 04:15 PM
I want to swap my vote for Demon over to Genie.

'Cause Genies are just that awesome.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 04:16 PM
I want to swap my vote for Demon over to Genie.

'Cause Genies are just that awesome.

Alright, done.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-12-18, 05:11 PM
I've never heard of "Mindful". What is that?

A made up ability I made up a few posts ago that removes the Mindless quality. I mean, you're homebrewing, so you're already making up stuff, why not this?

TinyMushroom
2011-12-18, 05:14 PM
Swapping my vote for Illithid to a down-vote for Medusa.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 05:14 PM
A made up ability I made up a few posts ago that removes the Mindless quality. I mean, you're homebrewing, so you're already making up stuff, why not this?

*sighs* Okay. So then that would make two votes for Oozes...I'll put Oozes in the contest....since it's what the people want! :smallbiggrin:

Hazzardevil
2011-12-18, 05:30 PM
Elemental and Angel.
We don't have any playable non-homebrew races for either I think.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 05:36 PM
Elemental and Angel.
We don't have any playable non-homebrew races for either I think.

You need to select an elemental, please. I have five different ones to choose from.

EdroGrimshell
2011-12-18, 06:02 PM
Will vote for Fey

The Witch-King
2011-12-18, 07:00 PM
On behalf of illithids, oozes and democracy, I thank you sir.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 07:08 PM
On behalf of illithids, oozes and democracy, I thank you sir.

You're welcome. After all, I'm not doing this contest for me, I'm doing it for all of you. That's why I homebrew. Look forward to the conclusion and the finished playable race.

Deepbluediver
2011-12-18, 07:14 PM
Archon vote added. Did you want to do something with your second vote? Either downgrade another option, or perhaps vote up a different option you'd like to see?

I'm allowed to have TWO votes? Oh frabjous day!

I don't want to put anything else down though, that feels too negative.
I guess my second vote can go towards angel then, in keeping with the good-guy theme.

How many versions of the Fiend Folio are out now? I keep waiting for WotC to release the first Celestial Compendium.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 07:21 PM
I'm allowed to have TWO votes? Oh frabjous day!

I don't want to put anything else down though, that feels too negative.
I guess my second vote can go towards angel then, in keeping with the good-guy theme.

How many versions of the Fiend Folio are out now? I keep waiting for WotC to release the first Celestial Compendium.

Sorry, you're not allowed to use both votes on the same race (The idea of giving two votes was to encourage variety, not to help you beat the -1 people)

However, if you still want to go with the good guy theme, may I suggest using your second vote for eladrin or archon? They are both options as well!

Deepbluediver
2011-12-18, 07:24 PM
Sorry, you're not allowed to use both votes on the same race (The idea of giving two votes was to encourage variety, not to help you beat the -1 people)

However, if you still want to go with the good guy theme, may I suggest using your second vote for eladrin or archon? They are both options as well!

My first vote WAS for Archon, sorry. The Angel was the second, because it is a good-aligned race but it seems kind of cliche.

I have to look up eladrin; I've never heard of them before.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 07:28 PM
My first vote WAS for Archon, sorry. The Angel was the second.

I have to look up eladrin; I've never heard of them before.

Oh okay! I see that now! I'm terribly sorry. My bad! :smallredface: Right. I have your vote as archon already up there. I'll go ahead and mark up angel for you too.

And yeah, Eladrin. Chaotic Good outsiders. They're the demons of Good.

radmelon
2011-12-18, 07:50 PM
I apologize for making more work for you, but I would like to change my vote from Intelligent Undead to Ooze.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 07:58 PM
I apologize for making more work for you, but I would like to change my vote from Intelligent Undead to Ooze.

Haha. Believe me, I understand the urge. Not a problem at all. :smallsmile:

The Witch-King
2011-12-18, 08:47 PM
And yeah, Eladrin. Chaotic Good outsiders. They're the demons of Good.

OMG--that TOTALLY needs to be a book title or a band name or something!

And now...

The Demons of Good!

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 08:49 PM
OMG--that TOTALLY needs to be a book title or a band name or something!

And now...

The Demons of Good!

Oh, man! You're right! Geez, that sounds like a race I should homebrew the crap out of!

UrsielHauke
2011-12-18, 09:00 PM
Arg! Changing my vote from Fae and Angel to Fae and Down-voting Angel.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-18, 09:01 PM
Arg! Changing my vote from Fae and Angel to Fae and Down-voting Angel.

No problem. Changed.

TuggyNE
2011-12-18, 09:29 PM
I think I'll put in a good word for Centaur, but drop Medusa down one.

EdroGrimshell
2011-12-18, 10:07 PM
Forgot to put my down vote, which will be on Angels

Acidic_Cakes
2011-12-19, 04:14 AM
I'm going to upvote Undead and Ooze.

Veklim
2011-12-19, 06:27 AM
Seraphi. Note for future endeavours:

Fix the rules before people start voting! I keep getting images of steam eminating from your ears! :smalltongue:

With that in mind, I'm afraid I must tweak my vote... Remove my vote for Medusa and replace with Illithid please!

Razanir
2011-12-19, 08:20 AM
Because I love fey so much, i'd never let my players play them 'cause I want them for plot.

I'd want my players to consider Fae. I have an idea for a world which involves a democracy of Fae within a human monarchy.

By the way, 1) I propose we call them Fae to distinguish from the monster type Fey. 2) Can I change my vote from Treant to an elemental with flying?

Hazzardevil
2011-12-19, 12:13 PM
My elemental vote from before goes to storm, never was one for the traditional ones.

Zeofar
2011-12-19, 04:04 PM
By the way, 1) I propose we call them Fae to distinguish from the monster type Fey.

I propose we don't since I voted for the creature type Fey.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-19, 04:11 PM
All votes tallied. Also, the Fey option is for the creature type Fey. Anyone who voted Fae and wanted something different, please feel free to post here and explain what you mean, because honestly, I don't see the difference. (Nymphs, sprites and pixies are all fey, so what separates fae from fey?)

The Witch-King
2011-12-19, 04:49 PM
Currently, we Illithid fans are tied with the Medusa fans for fourth place, coming in behind the Fey, Angels and Oozes. As such, I reach out to the Medusa fans and suggest we pool our votes for a combined race of Medusa-Illithids! If the males have the wiggly bits coming out of the bottom of the head and the females have the wiggly bits coming out of the top of the head, we'll both get what we want! :smallsmile:

Zale
2011-12-19, 04:53 PM
Oooo.

I move my Medusa vote to the Illithiusas!

Gallus
2011-12-19, 05:05 PM
Currently, we Illithid fans are tied with the Medusa fans for fourth place, coming in behind the Fey, Angels and Oozes. As such, I reach out to the Medusa fans and suggest we pool our votes for a combined race of Medusa-Illithids! If the males have the wiggly bits coming out of the bottom of the head and the females have the wiggly bits coming out of the top of the head, we'll both get what we want! :smallsmile:
I would be willing to move my vote, if all the other Medusa-supporters also do, and the two races are combined into one category of Meduthids or Illiae, with females having serpententacle hair, and males having serpententacle beards as you proposed. Can we have an official vote on this matter?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-19, 05:09 PM
I would be willing to move my vote, if all the other Medusa-supporters also do, and the two races are combined into one category of Meduthids or Illiae, with females having serpententacle hair, and males having serpententacle beards as you proposed. Can we have an official vote on this matter?

Oh geez...*facepalm*

See, on the one hand, that is a ton of more work for me. On the other hand, that just sounds so freaking amazing that I have to agree with you.

Everyone who wants a Meduthid is welcome to post their interest.

Eldest
2011-12-19, 05:33 PM
I will upvote the Fey and the Meduthid.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-19, 05:37 PM
Okay. Meduthid is officially on the chart (and Eldest's vote was its first). Anyone who likes can move their votes over to it. Good luck to you all against the fey.

Gallus
2011-12-19, 05:39 PM
With this change I'd like to reallocate my Medusa vote to the Meduthid, and my Harpy vote to downgrade the Fey.

Zale
2011-12-19, 05:45 PM
Did my Medusa vote get shifted to Meduthid?

Just making sure! :D

Dimonite
2011-12-19, 06:01 PM
Meduthid: +1
Ooze: +1.
See, I would downvote fey for an intelligent ooze... but the awesomeness of the Meduthid calls to me!

The Witch-King
2011-12-19, 06:17 PM
What--what have I done? It--it was a joke. Oh God--why didn't I listen to my classmate when he told me to use my powers for good instead for evil?

Really--I'm thrilled you guys like the idea--but I was kidding...

EDIT: Meduthid is just an awesome sounding name though.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-19, 06:19 PM
What--what have I done? It--it was a joke. Oh God--why didn't I listen to my classmate when he told me to use my powers for good instead for evil?

Hey, I think it's hilarious, so why not? :smallbiggrin: Besides, you guys won't have a chance against the Fey crowd if you have to split your vote between the two.

Razanir
2011-12-19, 06:23 PM
All votes tallied. Also, the Fey option is for the creature type Fey. Anyone who voted Fae and wanted something different, please feel free to post here and explain what you mean, because honestly, I don't see the difference. (Nymphs, sprites and pixies are all fey, so what separates fae from fey?)

I just want a generic Fey-type race.

Dimonite
2011-12-19, 06:43 PM
Actually... please change my ooze upvote to a fey downvote. I care only for the meduthid now...

Eldest
2011-12-19, 07:00 PM

EDIT: Meduthid is just an awesome sounding name though.

With great power...
...comes the ability to corrupt others very easily.

Veklim
2011-12-19, 07:19 PM
Since my 2nd vote has jumped between Medusa and Illithid already, I would happily shift my vote to Meduthid

I'm keeping Fey in there though, since I suggested it in the first place! :smalltongue:

The Witch-King
2011-12-19, 07:44 PM
With great power...
...comes the ability to corrupt others very easily.

And now you're quoting Saint Stan at me (sort of). *sigh* I guess if I didn't want to take care of my little Meduthids I shouldn't have slept with their mother. Go ahead and move my up vote to Meduthid. An Illithid's gotta take responsibility for his actions after all.

Veklim
2011-12-19, 07:57 PM
An Illithid's gotta take responsibility for his actions after all.

....since when?!

The Witch-King
2011-12-19, 08:09 PM
An Illithid's gotta take responsibility for his actions after all.....since when?!

THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...

Gallus
2011-12-19, 08:13 PM
THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
So...what would that make me in this "family"?

The Witch-King
2011-12-19, 08:20 PM
So...what would that make me in this "family"?

You don't have to beat around the bush, baby. *kneeling* I promise I'll make an honest medusa of you. I--uh--don't know the traditions of your people. Do I just need to get a ring or do I have to make a goat sacrifice or something?

Gallus
2011-12-19, 08:32 PM
You don't have to beat around the bush, baby. *kneeling* I promise I'll make an honest medusa of you. I--uh--don't know the traditions of your people. Do I just need to get a ring or do I have to make a goat sacrifice or something?
Ahh...uh...umm, I guess just trying to make sure we have a successful 'birth' will be enough.

The Witch-King
2011-12-19, 08:38 PM
Ahh...uh...umm, I guess just trying to make sure we have a successful 'birth' will be enough.

You got it! I'm gonna go out and mind-control a PC cleric right now! You've made me the happiest Illithid in the world!

The-Mage-King
2011-12-19, 08:43 PM
Changing my vote for Illithid to Meduthilid. Because this idea is WIN.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-12-19, 08:45 PM
I'm glad you changed your mind on the Ooze thing. It has a lot of potential as far as races go, and it's a shame it gets passed over so often. If you hadn't counted me before, put me down for +1 Ooze. Meduthids, however, sound ridiculous. In a bad way. -1 Meduthids

Dimonite
2011-12-21, 05:29 PM
Meduthids, however, sound ridiculous. In a bad way. -1 Meduthids

Is the Meduthid a horrible abomination compiled of two horrible abominations? Yes. Does that mean that I don't want to play as one? NO. NO, IT DOES NOT.

Also:

May I sig this?

The Witch-King
2011-12-21, 06:52 PM
May I sig this?

Please be my guest.

Hazzardevil
2011-12-23, 06:25 PM
Swapping my vote for fey to meduthid.

Also, I think we ought to start setting up a game so we can test drive it when the race is done.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-24, 08:10 PM
And voting for the race has ended! The time limit is up! The winner, after the last vote was taken into account, is the Meduthid! I will begin Round 2 next week, after the holidays have ended.

Congratulations to the winner!

Zale
2011-12-27, 06:32 PM
VICTORY IS OURS!

:smallbiggrin::smallsmile::smalltongue:

TinyMushroom
2011-12-27, 06:34 PM
I would've like to see a Fey, but I guess the Meduthid sounds awesome as well. :smallbiggrin:

Gallus
2011-12-27, 06:53 PM
I, for one, welcome our new tentacle-haired overlords. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheQuisling)

But seriously, there are several different facets of both the biology and culture of an Illithid-Medusa hybrid to be considered: gender, reproduction, religion, the place of Maedars (the male counterpart to the female Medusae), diet, and many others I'm sure.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-27, 07:41 PM
New rules and new tables are up! Have fun in the second round!

The Underlord
2011-12-27, 07:46 PM
Abberation. This monstoricty is defineitly not any form of humaniod. Also what does a meduthid look like?

Zale
2011-12-27, 07:49 PM
Medium Abberation

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-27, 07:58 PM
Abberation. This monstoricty is defineitly not any form of humaniod. Also what does a meduthid look like?

That will be discussed later, of course. I'm going to ask the voters what they think and then interpret that to the best of my ability.

Gallus
2011-12-27, 08:04 PM
I'll cast my vote for a Medium Abberation, with the Reptilian sub-type, if possible.

radmelon
2011-12-27, 08:08 PM
Medium monstrous humanoid. It was a tough choice.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-27, 08:12 PM
I'll cast my vote for a Medium Abberation, with the Reptilian sub-type, if possible.

That is not possible, I'm afraid. The SRD clearly defines the Reptilian subtype as used to identify a group of humanoids, not all animals and monsters that are reptiles. So an Aberration that was a reptile would simply be a reptilian Aberration, not an Aberration (Reptilian).

The Witch-King
2011-12-27, 08:18 PM
Medium Abberation

Gallus
2011-12-27, 08:20 PM
That is not possible, I'm afraid. The SRD clearly defines the Reptilian subtype as used to identify a group of humanoids, not all animals and monsters that are reptiles. So an Aberration that was a reptile would simply be a reptilian Aberration, not an Aberration (Reptilian).
Fair enough, how about the Psionic sub-type then?

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-27, 08:22 PM
Fair enough, how about the Psionic sub-type then?

Psionic, eh? Hmm...yes, I suppose I will be giving the Meduthid psi-like abilities, so I'll go ahead and make that part of the planned race, no need to vote on it or anything.

Eldest
2011-12-27, 08:31 PM
Medium Abberation with the Psionic sub-type.

Deepbluediver
2011-12-27, 10:00 PM
I vote Small-Abberation

At this point I'm basically picturing one of those brain-slugs from Furturama; I can't wait for the finished product.

radmelon
2011-12-27, 10:01 PM
I would like to add the psionic subtype to my vote, please.
<edit> which has proven to be unnecessary.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-27, 10:06 PM
I would like to add the psionic subtype to my vote, please.

The Psionic Subtype is already a given. I have decided to add it in regardless of what everyone wants. I certainly can't have an Illithid of any kind without psi-like abilities. No need to vote for it. :smallsmile:

The Underlord
2011-12-27, 10:56 PM
Forgot about size. If we can vote on subtype, I'm going to be wild and throw out Incarnum subtype and Large

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-27, 11:01 PM
Forgot about size. If we can vote on subtype, I'm going to be wild and throw out Incarnum subtype and Large

No! Argh! Okay, that's it, I'm updating the OP with regards to this. But your size vote is being tallied, thank you.

Timeless Error
2011-12-27, 11:34 PM
I suppose I'll pitch in with what most others are saying and vote for a medium aberration.

ShriekingDrake
2011-12-28, 12:03 AM
Medium Monstrous Humanoid

Acidic_Cakes
2011-12-28, 01:37 AM
Throwing in another vote for Medium Aberration.

TravelLog
2011-12-28, 01:43 AM
Medium Aberration with the Incarnum subtype.

The-Mage-King
2011-12-28, 02:31 AM
Medium Aberration with the Incarnum subtype.

Seconded. An incarnum using meduthillid? AWESOME.

Tvtyrant
2011-12-28, 02:52 AM
small aberration. Adding in Incarnum subtype as well. Sounds awesome.

Hazzardevil
2011-12-28, 02:53 AM
I'm voting small abberation with the incarnum subtype and another subtype from a magic system so we can have a midget tentacle creature using psionics, soul power and something else.

radmelon
2011-12-28, 03:16 AM
It was clearly stated that we will not be voting on subtypes, and that incarnum was not an option.

Veklim
2011-12-28, 12:53 PM
I don't see how these things could be anything other than a medium aberration, although the idea of them coming out large size and slightly wrong in the head appeals to me greatly!

Vlos
2011-12-28, 01:16 PM
Preference would be Small Aberration.

A little Meduthid Pixie with tentacles sucking the brains out through your ear...

:smallamused:

KainelWyst
2011-12-29, 05:41 PM
Small Abberation. Radioactive Octopus Stewie. Yes, please.

Recherché
2011-12-29, 06:03 PM
Small Monstrous Humanoid

I don't know why but it just sounds awesome.

Lizard Lord
2011-12-30, 03:04 AM
Medium Monstrous Humanoid.

TinyMushroom
2011-12-30, 05:39 AM
Medium Monstrous Humanoid

Zeofar
2011-12-30, 01:32 PM
Medium Aberration.

Zaydos
2011-12-30, 05:33 PM
Medium aberration

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-31, 01:53 AM
Round III begins! And I'm sure everyone's been looking forward to this!

Veklim
2011-12-31, 06:44 AM
I think I'll vote for Mind Blast and suggest Hostile Empathic Transfer. I may wish to change though, gonna go through the powers later and see if anything Medusa-esque pops out at me!

TinyMushroom
2011-12-31, 07:07 AM
Cloud mind
Mind blast

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-31, 09:38 AM
Oooh, actually, sorry guys. I'm not offering mind blast, that was a typo. The real power on the list was mind thrust, which is quite different. Please revote. :smallredface:

Veklim
2011-12-31, 10:05 AM
OK then fella, replace my erroneous vote with one for Brain Lock, a rather nice power and very much on the pulse of an Illithid/Medusa crossbreed imo.

TinyMushroom
2011-12-31, 11:01 AM
I'll switch my vote to Hostile Empathic Transfer, then.

Eldest
2011-12-31, 12:15 PM
I'll vote up Hostile Empathic Transfer and Brain Lock.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-31, 01:13 PM
Votes tallied.

radmelon
2011-12-31, 01:32 PM
Read thoughts and Brain lock.

The Witch-King
2011-12-31, 01:46 PM
Mind thrust and psionic blast.

TinyMushroom
2011-12-31, 01:59 PM
I made a drawing of a Meduthid (she's flying, that's why the legs are a little weird).

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/365/4/9/the_meduthid_by_lugialegend-d4ku4i8.png

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-31, 02:03 PM
I made a drawing of a Meduthid (she's flying, that's why the legs are a little weird).

That's pretty cool! But I think the consensus was if it's male, it's an illithid, if it's female, it's a medusa, not like, a combination. What does everyone else think?

TinyMushroom
2011-12-31, 02:08 PM
That's pretty cool! But I think the consensus was if it's male, it's an illithid, if it's female, it's a medusa, not like, a combination. What does everyone else think?

I thought it was a merged medusa/illithid :smalltongue:

Eldest
2011-12-31, 02:13 PM
I like the drawing anyway. And I think they should have some sort of characteristics of the other race, as well. Otherwise it doesn't show up very well.

NeoSeraphi
2011-12-31, 02:14 PM
True. And the drawing is really good...okay then! That's how I'm going to make it work. Thanks TinyMushroom. :smallsmile:

Gallus
2011-12-31, 05:24 PM
My votes will be for Time Hop and Déjà Vu.

Zale
2011-12-31, 05:43 PM
This is hard.

I like the idea of Demoralize.. Because a Illithid/Medusa hybrid should be pretty darn intimidating, and the idea of them literally scaring people into immobility is fairly awesome.

One vote goes to Detect Thoughts, at least, because it's a staple power.

My votes have been chosen! :smalltongue:

Veklim
2012-01-01, 12:34 PM
Might I suggest that detect thoughts be in there regardless of other votes. As Zale pointed out, it's pretty much ingrained in the Illithid concept anyhow.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-01, 12:37 PM
Might I suggest that detect thoughts be in there regardless of other votes. As Zale pointed out, it's pretty much ingrained in the Illithid concept anyhow.

It's pretty difficult to justify an LA 0 race when it has multiple psi-like abilities, especially one as useful as read thoughts. But I'll consider it. It depends on which other power wins.

Acidic_Cakes
2012-01-02, 01:57 AM
A vote for Ego Whip, and a write in vote for Mind Link, please.

Dragon Star
2012-01-02, 05:24 AM
+1 to Detect Thoughts and Time Hop

Deepbluediver
2012-01-02, 09:12 AM
True. And the drawing is really good...okay then! That's how I'm going to make it work. Thanks TinyMushroom. :smallsmile:

Why does it have to have a male/female gender? Can't we also say that it's just asexual?

Or I guess you could also say it's a hermaphrodite, but that might get kind of icky for some people.

P.S. I've never used Psionics, so I'm abstaining from this round, since I don't know what any of those abilities are like when used in play.

Zaydos
2012-01-02, 11:11 AM
Brain Lock and Read Thoughts

Lizard Lord
2012-01-02, 11:23 AM
Read Thoughts and Psionic Blast

Eldest
2012-01-02, 11:27 AM
P.S. I've never used Psionics, so I'm abstaining from this round, since I don't know what any of those abilities are like when used in play.

I've never used it either, just look up what some of the frontrunner powers do and then decide which one you like best.

Lizard Lord
2012-01-02, 11:34 AM
Actually can I change my vote? I so I would like to change my vote of Psionic Blast to write in Ubiquitous Vision. A Meduthid could use their psionic abilities to connect to the minds of the snakes on its head to a gain a 360-degree sphere of sight.

Ajadea
2012-01-02, 11:48 AM
Vote Ubiquitous Vision (as Lizard Lord said, really fitting)

Vote Read Thoughts (what proper Illithid-based creature can't?)

TinyMushroom
2012-01-02, 11:51 AM
Why does it have to have a male/female gender? Can't we also say that it's just asexual?

Or I guess you could also say it's a hermaphrodite, but that might get kind of icky for some people.

I just drew my vision of a meduthid, it doesn't necessarily need to have a gender/sex. It doesn't even have to look like that. :smalltongue:

I will change my vote from cloud mind (since it doesn't seem to be popular) to ubiquitous vision.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-02, 12:14 PM
Votes tallied.

Acidic_Cakes
2012-01-02, 12:18 PM
Hmm, I was thinking for a bit, and I think the idea for a medusa/illithid hybrid that I had in my head was closer to something that had a ring of snakes surrounding its mouth. I'm not even sure how that would work, but it appeals to me for some reason.

radmelon
2012-01-02, 01:51 PM
Yeah, that's a cool idea.:smallcool:

Razanir
2012-01-03, 12:29 PM
Ubiquitous Vision and Hostile Empathic Transfer

EDIT: Also, I support and prefer the idea to have to be that cross between the races TinyMushroom drew

The-Mage-King
2012-01-03, 07:26 PM
Up with Mind Thrust, Down with Read Thoughts.

TravelLog
2012-01-03, 07:59 PM
+ Hostile Empathetic Transfer
- Read Thoughts

The Witch-King
2012-01-04, 10:14 PM
Prepare for the dawn of the Meduthid Star Empire...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/15850_188255544616_103137454616_2680179_3216352_n. jpg

radmelon
2012-01-04, 10:29 PM
Two questions:

1. What the heck is that?

2. Where can I get one?

Deepbluediver
2012-01-04, 10:34 PM
Two questions:

2. Where can I get one?

1) a magi-tech eldritch abomination; it feeds upon the souls of your enemies!....or KFC; whatevers good, really

2) Walmart has them the cheapest, but they fall apart if you play with them to hard; the ones at Target are better quality.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-04, 10:40 PM
*sigh* Almost 200 replies...why can't any of my actual homebrew ever receive this much attention?

The Witch-King
2012-01-04, 10:45 PM
Two questions:

2. Where can I get one?

No idea and no idea.

Picture's from here (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=188255544616&set=a.136558534616.98898.103137454616&type=1&theater). Or at least, that's where I found it.

Eldest
2012-01-04, 10:47 PM
*sigh* Almost 200 replies...why can't any of my actual homebrew ever receive this much attention?

Because the playground is ADD and - SHINY!
And we like audience participation.

The Witch-King
2012-01-04, 10:52 PM

Just a thought--you do so much homebrew for other people--instead of just giving it to them for free--you should ask them to review at least one piece of your homebrew in exchange.

Or--you could set up a homebrew review exchange thread. A place where if you want your homebrew reviewed, you can post it there but you have to review one of the pieces of homebrew on the list.

Deepbluediver
2012-01-04, 10:56 PM

going by what people voted for in this thread, it's because it doesn't include enough quasi-Chuthulu, obviously

All those spells you've been writing up? You really just need a dozen variations of "you/your enemy sprouts horrible tentacles and begins the rapid descent into madness".

:P

The Witch-King
2012-01-04, 11:03 PM
1) a magi-tech eldritch abomination; it feeds upon the souls of your enemies!

A magitech eldritch abomination, a Star Kraken over a mile long--a living construct starship, capable of housing an entire army within its coils and transporting it across the stars from world to world--armed with not only with huge, destructive bio-magitech tentacles but homing magical force missiles and psionic crystal weaponry as well, capable of battering its way through an entire enemy star fleet and conquering a whole world--singlehanded.

Please, please, please, please--tell me there's someone who'll take on the challenge of statting this thing out. Maybe if we ask Debihuman really, really nicely? :smallsmile:

radmelon
2012-01-04, 11:04 PM
What would it be? A creature? Or maybe you could use the D20 Modern/Future starship stats?

Deepbluediver
2012-01-04, 11:10 PM
Please, please, please, please--tell me there's someone who'll take on the challenge of statting this thing out. Maybe if we ask Debihuman really, really nicely? :smallsmile:

oh look, something besides the Barbarian that can use a d12 for HP

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-04, 11:23 PM
Just a thought--you do so much homebrew for other people--instead of just giving it to them for free--you should ask them to review at least one piece of your homebrew in exchange.

...With all due respect, hell no.

It's a good thought, looks kinda decent on paper, but I homebrew because I enjoy it, and because people come to this particular part of GitP to see something created that they wish existed, you know? And I feel pretty good when someone makes a request and I can make something happen.

People review my homebrew because they think it's worth leaving a comment. At least, that's what I think.

Asking for something in exchange, even just thirty minutes out of someone's day to read something and type a comment, would just taint it, in my mind. Like charging a commission. I don't want to be that guy.

oh look, something besides the Barbarian that can use a d12 for HP

I'm sure you know this, but I'm going to say it anyway, since I'm already responding to The Witch-King: Knight, warblade, dragon, undead, dwarven fighter, and plenty of melee-based prestige classes.

All those spells you've been writing up? You really just need a dozen variations of "you/your enemy sprouts horrible tentacles and begins the rapid descent into madness".

Hahaha! Not me, that's Cipherthe3vil's thing! ...Heh...*sighs* :smallfrown:

Deepbluediver
2012-01-04, 11:50 PM
Hahaha! Not me, that's Cipherthe3vil's thing! ...Heh...*sighs* :smallfrown:

I was referring to things like Don't Believe in Yourself! Believe in Me, Who Believes In You! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227648)

I only just watched that anime last month, and its a good thing too or I would have thought that title was written by some one who didn't speak english as a first language...or second, or third; and was maybe translating all his posts via Babelfish
:P

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 12:05 AM
I was referring to things like Don't Believe in Yourself! Believe in Me, Who Believes In You! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227648)

Yes, and I was referring to Cipherthe3vil's homebrew tentacle-themed spells thread she did a while back.

Deepbluediver
2012-01-05, 12:07 AM
Yes, and I was referring to Cipherthe3vil's homebrew tentacle-themed spells thread she did a while back.

Oh, I don't think I've been around long enough to have seen those....time to go on an epic quest to search out this ancient lost knowledge!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 12:11 AM
Oh, I don't think I've been around long enough to have seen those....time to go on an epic quest to search out this ancient lost knowledge!

Please, allow me. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204226)

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 12:14 PM
The Final Round begins!

Zaydos
2012-01-05, 12:18 PM
+2 Cha, -2 Con (because -2 Str doesn't balance a mental ability bonus), and Gaze Attack.

Deepbluediver
2012-01-05, 01:26 PM
+2 Cha, -2 Con (because -2 Str doesn't balance a mental ability bonus), and Gaze Attack.

Good point about the balance; I probably wouldn't have thought of that.

I disagree though; I suspect this combination of creatures would have a permenantly bad disposition in addition to being butt-ugly, so I vote -2 Cha and +2 Wis.

Maybe a racial bonus to intimdate checks too though, I don't know how much LA that kind of thing adds.

Also, I vote for the Natural bite attack, cause y'know, snakes, and I'd still love to see a snake-beard :P

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 01:57 PM

I disagree though; I suspect this combination of creatures would have a permenantly bad disposition in addition to being butt-ugly, so I vote -2 Cha and +2 Wis.

Maybe a racial bonus to intimdate checks too though, I don't know how much LA that kind of thing adds.

Also, I vote for the Natural bite attack, cause y'know, snakes, and I'd still love to see a snake-beard :P

Fair enough, but be aware that psi-like abilities are always Cha-based.

Lizard Lord
2012-01-05, 01:59 PM
I vote +2 Int -2 Cha and Gaze Attack.

TinyMushroom
2012-01-05, 02:49 PM
+2 CHA -2 CON

Natural Bite Attack

The Witch-King
2012-01-05, 02:56 PM
+2 Int, +2 Cha, Gaze Attack

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 02:58 PM
+2 Int, +2 Cha, Gaze Attack

You can't vote for two positive stats. You get one positive, one negative, one special attack.

Vlos
2012-01-05, 02:59 PM
+2 CHR, -2 STR, Tentacles/Improved Grab

Jon_Dahl
2012-01-05, 03:08 PM
+2 STR -2 CON

Gaze Attack

Eldest
2012-01-05, 04:07 PM
+2 Int, -2 Con, Natural Bite Attack
Intellect because they are smart, con because such an unholy fusion might have a few health problems, bite attack because it fits the best out of the three options.

Eldest
2012-01-05, 04:11 PM
Intellect because they are smart, con because such an unholy fusion might have a few health problems, bite attack because it fits the best out of the three options.

Eldest
2012-01-05, 04:17 PM

TravelLog
2012-01-05, 04:51 PM
+2 Cha, -2 Dex, Gaze Attack

Razanir
2012-01-05, 05:30 PM
+2 Cha, because although it's hideous, it sure leaves an impression
-2 Str, because it just sounds like a super-mind-based, not-at-all-strong race
Gaze Attack, because it's gotta show its Medusa heritage somehow

Just to Browse
2012-01-05, 05:49 PM
+2 Cha, -2 Str
Gaze Attack

Gallus
2012-01-05, 06:11 PM
+2 cha, -2 wis, and gaze attack with a feat option for a combined tentacle grapple attack, and snake bite attack.

Veklim
2012-01-05, 06:51 PM
+2 Cha, -2 Con (because it really does make the most sense imo)
Gaze Attack (because that was half the reason I voted Meduthid in the first place!)

...with a feat option for a combined tentacle grapple attack, and snake bite attack.
I'd like to +1 this too, but that's for later I guess... :smallbiggrin:

The Witch-King
2012-01-05, 07:07 PM
You can't vote for two positive stats. You get one positive, one negative, one special attack.

+2 Int, -2 Con, Gaze Attack then

radmelon
2012-01-05, 07:11 PM
+2 cha, -2 str, gaze attack.

Kinda one-sided, isn't it?

Veklim
2012-01-05, 09:02 PM
Just posting a breif thought/suggestion... These guys should have some sort of shared conscious space, and probably close-range telepathy with each other, if nothing else...

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-05, 09:07 PM
Just posting a breif thought/suggestion... These guys should have some sort of shared conscious space, and probably close-range telepathy with each other, if nothing else...

What, you mean some kind of hive mind? Why?

Deepbluediver
2012-01-05, 11:23 PM

Fair enough, but be aware that psi-like abilities are always Cha-based.

Oh, hmm, I didn't realize that.

In that case I'll swap my choices to -2 Con, +2 Wisdom; cause I like Eldest's reasoning about potential health problems and this way it get's neither a racial penalty nor a bonus to the psi-like abilities.

Acidic_Cakes
2012-01-06, 02:13 AM
I think I shall vote +2 Cha and -2 Wis, as the idea of a powerfully charismatic but quite insane entity quite appeals to me.

Veklim
2012-01-06, 03:48 PM
What, you mean some kind of hive mind? Why?

No, more akin to the shared 'dreamstate' of the Kalashtar if anything. Nothing as far as a hive mind, that's for insects and freaky outer planar stuff!

I'm just suggesting that perhaps they're not capable of total telepathy, but can use such with each other.

Razanir
2012-01-07, 11:42 AM
This is unrelated to the Meduthid, but can I ask how you're actually making the race? I've heard references to a system that lets you point-buy cool stuff for the race and I was wondering how it works

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-07, 12:00 PM
This is unrelated to the Meduthid, but can I ask how you're actually making the race? I've heard references to a system that lets you point-buy cool stuff for the race and I was wondering how it works

Hm? I don't use any of that stuff. I just reason it out by comparing it to other common LA 0 races and then rely on PEACH to hit just the right balance point. It's all me.

Dragon Star
2012-01-07, 04:00 PM
+2 Cha
-2 Con
Gaze Attack

Timeless Error
2012-01-07, 06:08 PM
+2 Int
-2 Str
Gaze Attack

Egiam
2012-01-07, 06:15 PM
+2 INT
-2 CHA
Gaze Attack

Dimonite
2012-01-09, 09:58 PM
+2 Cha, -2 Wis, natural bite attack I like the insanity and the beard of snakes.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-11, 02:21 AM
And the meduthid is done! Well, I hope it's what you all wanted! What do you think?

Lizard Lord
2012-01-11, 03:00 AM
I am going to have to disagree with your comment under religion. You can have cosmic horrors and nightmare fuel monsters like the Meduthid without Cthulhu (though you probably should have your own cosmic horror god, that is inspired by Lovecraft and the Cthulhu mythos). Really if someone wants a universe with only their own homebrewed gods and still have Lovecraftian inspired monsters like the Meduthid, who are you to say they shouldn't? Perhaps they should have something fill that void, but it doesn't have to be the original Cthulhu.

Heck, both Medusas and Mindflayer's exist in settings without Cthulhu so why shouldn't Meduthids?

Now I could agree with you if you said/meant that Meduthids would worship, and should only be in the setting of, Cthulhu or the closest equivalent to him. That's not really how your comment came across though. Not to me at least.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-11, 03:05 AM
I am going to have to disagree with your comment under religion. You can have cosmic horrors and nightmare fuel monsters like the Meduthid without Cthulhu (though you probably should have your own cosmic horror god, that is inspired by Lovecraft and the Cthulhu mythos). Really if someone wants a universe with their own homebrewed gods and still have Lovecraftian inspiried monsters like the Meduthid, who are you to say they shouldn't?

Heck, both Medusas and Mindflayer's exist in settings without Cthulhu so why shouldn't Meduthids?

Now I could agree with you if you said/meant that Meduthids would worship, and should only be in the setting of, Cthulhu or the closest equivalent to him. That's not really how your comment came across though. Not to me at least.

...That paragraph was supposed to be humorous, but okay. I edited it.

Lizard Lord
2012-01-11, 03:11 AM
...That paragraph was supposed to be humorous, but okay. I edited it.

Oh. Sorry. :smallredface:

In my defense this is the internet where you can easily come across people who say and seriously believe in the most ridiculous of things (and yours wasn't nearly as absurd as some of the things I am thinking of right now). This is why emoticons were invented.:smallbiggrin:

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-11, 03:18 AM
Oh. Sorry. :smallredface:

In my defense this is the internet where you can easily come across people who say and seriously believe in the most ridiculous of things (and yours wasn't nearly as absurd as some of the things I am thinking of right now). This is why emoticons were invited.:smallbiggrin:

True. Guess I'll put it back up and add some emoticons to make sure that the joke is clear. :smallsmile:

The Witch-King
2012-01-11, 05:58 AM
Very nice! The Elder Brain would be proud!

Veklim
2012-01-11, 06:23 AM
Sweet. These guys are going directly onto my list of 'Campaign Available Homebrew' on my table :smallbiggrin:

Eldest
2012-01-11, 08:07 AM
I like them. Seems well balanced, not too complex.

Deepbluediver
2012-01-11, 09:07 AM
+1 for keeping it simple and straightforward; I love things you can pick up and play right from the get-go

Question about Roleplay:

Are we thinking that there are enough of these creatures to form their own society, or is the Meduthid a horrible accident of magic (and maybe alcohol) with the rare individual living in the shadow of their parent races or hiding away from the cruel and hostile world?

Steward
2012-01-11, 04:43 PM
Nice! There's no LA, right? I didn't see one (and I don't think it needs an LA!) but I just want to clarify!

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-11, 04:46 PM
Nice! There's no LA, right? I didn't see one (and I don't think it needs an LA!) but I just want to clarify!

Right, just clarified LA +0

Elfstone
2012-01-11, 08:22 PM
Can't believe I just now saw this.

My first thoughts:
Awesome!

He must be reaaalllyyy bored...

I hope this is how he continues to make homebrew...

*dissolves into random thoughts about making own class using a pokemon trainer style theme*
/thoughts

Anyway, well done.

NeoSeraphi
2012-01-11, 09:01 PM
I hope this is how he continues to make homebrew...

...Ah, what the hell. This was pretty fun. Here's another contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228589)