PDA

View Full Version : BRP Does D&D Better Than D&D

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-17, 06:14 PM
Basic Roleplaying (http://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=4fb9478162b4e76f4240ed859330f93f) (download the stripped-down version legally and for free HERE (http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf)) is a genaric d100-based RPG system that I have been playing quite a lot as of late. It is sleek, logical, and flexible, with a heavy focus on skills. One of the things that I have been noticing about it is that it is better suited for hack-and-slash dungeon crawling than any edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Combat is smoother (and more realistic), character creation is less tedious, everything moves more quickly, and it can be played with or without miniatures. The only thing I don't like is the slow character progression, but that can be easily remedied through house-ruling.

Another one of BRP's virtues is its plethora of optional rules. One can shape they system to do exactly what they want, and with the appropriate optional rules applied, it is great for medival fantasy. The combat system is relatively gritty, but it can be made more forgiving by doubling everyone's hit points, which does not break the game. It is not well-suited to mass combat, but I'm sure this can also be fixed through house-ruling.

Eldan
2011-12-17, 08:00 PM
Thing is, I'm pretty sure there have always been systems that did any aspect of the game better than D&D. But I don't know any systems that can have a character grow in power from a peasant that dies to a kid with a dagger to a god-slaying multiversal hero commanding armies of summoned angels, that can handle steampunk, magitech and Sword and Sorcery, that can do hacking, eploring and intriguing, and that has two dozen power systems in the same game.

Arbane
2011-12-17, 08:04 PM
Ah, that takes me back. BRP is the base system used for Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer. Runequest, and several other games. It's good, but it's got stuff to watch out for - the biggest one being that even experienced characters are _fragile_. One good hit with a battleaxe will ruin even Conan's day.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-17, 09:06 PM
Thing is, I'm pretty sure there have always been systems that did any aspect of the game better than D&D. But I don't know any systems that can have a character grow in power from a peasant that dies to a kid with a dagger to a god-slaying multiversal hero commanding armies of summoned angels, that can handle steampunk, magitech and Sword and Sorcery, that can do hacking, eploring and intriguing, and that has two dozen power systems in the same game.
I admit, BRP doesn't do the character progression thing quite as well. It does - however - handle multiple settings better than D&D does, and work with dozens of different power sources as well as D&D does.

Ah, that takes me back. BRP is the base system used for Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer. Runequest, and several other games. It's good, but it's got stuff to watch out for - the biggest one being that even experienced characters are _fragile_. One good hit with a battleaxe will ruin even Conan's day.
As I said in the original post, doubling player, monster, and NPC hit points makes combat more forgiving and D&D like. I tried it in a medieval fantasy game I ran, and it worked out quite well. Another option is to only double the hit points of "named" characters and creatures, emulating D&D 4e and Savage Worlds.

Also, if you haven't played BRP since Strombringer and Runequest, I recommend you give it another look. It has changed for the better since then, and is now in its fourth edition.

Incanus Kindler
2011-12-17, 10:38 PM
It surprised me to see your post, as I've always been pretty sure that BRP was the secret game that, despite being around forever, only I knew about.

It's one of my favorite systems ever, although every once in awhile I think that there might be too many skills. If you really like Basic, I would suggest trying out Openquest. (http://d101games.co.uk/books/openquest/) It's an even more stripped down version of Basic and can be a little easier to understand than BRP (If you can even believe it.) The PDF is pretty cheap and you can look at the rules for free in the developer's kit. It's the game that I'm currently running and I'm in love with it.

Ozreth
2011-12-17, 10:44 PM
Meh, your argument is the one used for just about every "basic", "classic", "old school" etc game out there.

Basic Role Playing
Castles & Crusades
Dark Dungeons
Labyrinth Lord
Swords & Wizardry
Lamentations of the Flame Princess

The list goes on. Easy to learn rules, fast combat, quick character creation, tons of optional stuff, combatible with a lot of systems...

And yeah I agree :)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-17, 10:45 PM
It surprised me to see your post, as I've always been pretty sure that BRP was the secret game that, despite being around forever, only I knew about.

It's one of my favorite systems ever, although every once in awhile I think that there might be too many skills. If you really like Basic, I would suggest trying out Openquest. (http://d101games.co.uk/books/openquest/) It's an even more stripped down version of Basic and can be a little easier to understand than BRP (If you can even believe it.) The PDF is pretty cheap and you can look at the rules for free in the developer's kit. It's the game that I'm currently running and I'm in love with it.

I've already checked out the Developer's Kit, although I've never tried the game. Looks good. The art on the cover is also stunningly awesome.

Incanus Kindler
2011-12-17, 10:54 PM
I've already checked out the Developer's Kit, although I've never tried the game. Looks good. The art on the cover is also stunningly awesome.

I really love it, and it does fix a few issues I had with Basic. It has pretty easy to implement mass combat rules that have seemed to work for me so far, and combat is slightly less lethal than in Basic, because the players have Hero Points that they can use to re-roll checks or prevent death.

Definitely look into it more if you're into BRP. My only problem is that it's built more for medieval fantasy, but they are developing a sci-fi and modern version of the game. I also wish there were more spells, but its compatible with other d100 systems so it's not like you can't take from other sources.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-18, 12:08 AM
Another thing I love about BRP is the fluff. The core book is pretty much fluff-less, but the quality of the fluff in supplements is unsurpassed. Some of my favourite supplements include Agents of the Crown (http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=3743), Witchcraft (http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=5068), and The Magic Book (http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=6622). Amazing stuff.

Knaight
2011-12-18, 05:48 AM

GURPS
Fudge
Probably a few other generic systems.

Tetsubo 57
2011-12-18, 03:07 PM
If I were to pick a system other than Pathfinder to run a D&D game, it would be HARP. BRP just leaves me cold.

gkathellar
2011-12-18, 03:09 PM
GURPS
Fudge
Probably a few other generic systems.

Fantasy Craft
Burning Wheel

Knaight
2011-12-18, 04:06 PM
Fantasy Craft
Burning Wheel

I'm not familiar with Fantasy Craft, but Burning Wheel really doesn't do most of those things. It has fewer subsystems for one, and doesn't follow the "weakling peasant becomes a god" paradigm at all, nor does it have the capacity. Now, if these are just games that do D&D better than D&D, then I agree. Also, I'd add WR&M.