PDA

View Full Version : I "Curse" your name!

Draig
2011-12-17, 08:43 PM
Ok so I've been a dm/pc for awhile now and just recently the "Bestow Curse" spell has come up. I noticed in the description it mentions custom curses. My question to the playground, What are some unique or funny curses that you have made or used?

gkathellar
2011-12-17, 08:44 PM
Permanent delusions of having been turned into a newt.

Dumbledore lives
2011-12-17, 08:45 PM
The Book of Vile Darkness has a few extra ones, including infertility and making animals hate the person permanently. They vary wildly in terms of power, so as the DM you should really only curse someone with something that makes sense for the character, and has a minor but noticeable effect.

Big Fau
2011-12-17, 08:54 PM
One of the more interesting uses I've seen lobbied around by the CO boards back at Gleemax was using Bestow Curse as an essentially dispel-proof, permanent buff with minor RP-based drawbacks.

While that's certainly not the intent of the spell, the idea of invoking Cursed with Awesome intentionally is rather cool.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-12-17, 08:57 PM
Permanent delusions of having been turned into a newt.

As long as you get better....

Noblesse
2011-12-17, 09:06 PM
My old DM gave someone a curse where their body had the arrow attraction quality to them. -- And they were a blasty wizard.

Another one was where if you were lieing or otherwise being deceitful your ears started glowing flame red

I think the worst one was where if you rolled a die and it came up as an unmodified 13 you would then proceed to roll again against a list of mishaps.

Mr. Anon Omys
2011-12-17, 10:03 PM
I have a warlock who delights in surreptitiously cursing his allies to automatically roll natural 1s on attack rolls and will saves against him. When confronted, he calls it "Insurance."

fryplink
2011-12-17, 10:05 PM
One of the more interesting uses I've seen lobbied around by the CO boards back at Gleemax was using Bestow Curse as an essentially dispel-proof, permanent buff with minor RP-based drawbacks.

While that's certainly not the intent of the spell, the idea of invoking Cursed with Awesome intentionally is rather cool.

In a low magic campaign, finding someone capable of casting a remove curse spell might be an entire arc (or if high level-low magic, protecting such a person)

motoko's ghost
2011-12-17, 10:31 PM
Dragon magazine also had some interesting variant, such as you had to drink a pint of bloood each day, or you showed up as evil to detect evil.
There was one that made everyone forget you at the end of the day.
Check it out

Incriptus
2011-12-17, 10:55 PM
A particularly vile little fellow, had a very powerful curse placed on a small villiage. Should his life come to an end by an unnatural cause, all the inhabitants would be stuck sterile. Essential should he be put to death for his crimes the blood line of everyone in that village was over. In reality it didn't follow any game rules, it was just a GM fiat as to why this Vilely evil person was not put to death.

Well, one of the player characters needed information that only he had. Convinced the town's folk to allow him to leave with the guy. The player killed the guy anyways . . . listening to the DM and his plotline was not this player's strong suit.

Infernalbargain
2011-12-17, 11:42 PM
You become a celebrity and always have an obnoxious paparazzi following you around.

Arbane
2011-12-18, 12:39 AM
Curse of Vulnerability: Lower the victim's DR and resistances by 5 each. (Thought up to deal with a rather annoying daemon my group ran into.)

elvengunner69
2011-12-18, 10:27 AM
My party just had a member cursed - He's a half Ogre Barbarian and he got cursed by Hag (no not his Mom) where he has to a roll a 50% chance or lose his action. He actually loves this curse as his character is kind of dumb anyway...and he figures he doesn't know it. They had to chase this rogue through the streets and he was the only one who could keep up with him so it kind of added a fun dimension that he had to keep rolling to see if 'followed' the Rogue twisting between the streets.

He's playing into the curse brilliantly as well.

onthetown
2011-12-18, 07:42 PM
You become a celebrity and always have an obnoxious paparazzi following you around.

I have an in-battle one that's similar to this, sort of: For the rest of the fight after you've been cursed, you draw aggro.

Just make sure to use it on somebody that can't handle drawing aggro, or their fighter is going to have fun playing meatshield while everybody else kills off your minions.

Snowbluff
2011-12-19, 02:04 AM
I have a warlock who delights in surreptitiously cursing his allies to automatically roll natural 1s on attack rolls and will saves against him. When confronted, he calls it "Insurance."

He got decapitated in his sleep, right? Cuz it's the first I'd, since you allowed it by letting him curse me...

BobVosh
2011-12-19, 02:46 AM

That is an incredibly overpowered curse. Also anything splitting the party like this is bad.

Draig
2011-12-19, 02:51 AM
That is an incredibly overpowered curse. Also anything splitting the party like this is bad.

I actually have a modified form of that curse, at the beginning of each campaign I DM I now have the Gods bestow a curse on all the PC's that prevents them from being able to hurt each other, natural 1's on all attack rolls, 100 percent arcane spell failure chance, etc. To prevent any PC's from trying to lord over the others.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-12-19, 05:15 AM
I like the pathfinder Oracle's curses (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/oracle-curses) they're pretty flavourful and not overly powerful.

Edit: obviously with bestow curse you'd impart the drawbacks and not the positive aspects :p

BobVosh
2011-12-19, 05:18 AM
In a joke campaign I cursed a fellow PC with chicken infested between the hours of 4 am-10 am.

motoko's ghost
2011-12-19, 05:19 AM
I think there was one published that meant that the person couldnt attack anyone for the first 1d4rds of combat:smalleek:

Krazzman
2011-12-19, 05:34 AM
Permanencied light on an assassin/thief.

In a campaign my dm was in there was an association of bright shining thieves and assassins that couldn't get rid of a permanencied light spell later.