PDA

View Full Version : Spells that are effective with a low CL

Yorae
2011-12-17, 10:36 PM
I'm looking for Cleric spells that are effective from a caster with a low CL.

In this case, the character in question has 9ths, but a CL of only 11. I'm not looking for ways to raise his CL, "Y U NO practiced spellcaster", etc - just hoping to find spells that are effective regardless of what your CL happens to be.

I imagine that these are mostly spells with an instantaneous or set, non-scaling duration and, obviously, effects that do not increase with CL (so damage spells are mostly right out). Things useful in melee combat or for battlefield control are especially interesting, but really anything that is good even at a reduced caster level would be valuable information.

Thanks!

Kenneth
2011-12-17, 11:32 PM
Miracle, Energy Drain, implosion.. and those are just 9th level spells off the top of my head.. there are probably a lot mroe cleric spells that do not rley on caster level than other caster classes.

Zaq
2011-12-17, 11:43 PM
Just checking, you're ignoring the rule that says that there's a minimum CL necessary to cast spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#casterLevel), right?

Caster Level

A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most spellcasting characters is equal to your class level in the class you’re using to cast the spell.

You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.

In the event that a class feature, domain granted power, or other special ability provides an adjustment to your caster level, that adjustment applies not only to effects based on caster level (such as range, duration, and damage dealt) but also to your caster level check to overcome your target’s spell resistance and to the caster level used in dispel checks (both the dispel check and the DC of the check).

Assuming you're intentionally ignoring that rule (or that you've found a way around it), hmm. Hours/level spells are almost as good at CL 11 as CL 17. I'll have to think of some others.

Flickerdart
2011-12-17, 11:44 PM
It might be Ur-Priest, meaning that its minimum CLs are different.

dextercorvia
2011-12-17, 11:50 PM
Just checking, you're ignoring the rule that says that there's a minimum CL necessary to cast spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#casterLevel), right?

There is normal, and then there is normal...

Urpriest, for example could easily have a CL11 and 9ths.

Also, it only specifies that if you choose a CL, it must be enough. There is an argument that you don't choose to cast at your default CL.

/derail

Greater Planar Ally cares not for your CL.

Yorae
2011-12-17, 11:56 PM
It might be Ur-Priest, meaning that its minimum CLs are different.

That's it exactly.
Do note that at low-mid levels his CL is really quite low. Hours/level is probably still pretty usable, though.

Good input so far guys, thanks - keep 'em coming! :smalltongue: