PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Character Ever

Dragon Star
2011-12-18, 02:45 AM
Basicly what the title says. What was your best character of all time? It could be the most powerful, the most fun, or the most interesting concept.

Mine was probably a 8 year old girl called Lucy. She was (is actually, still playing her) a rogue, with ridiculous skills. +25 stealth at level 5. Almost always got at least 30 on checks. She was the leader of a thieves guild. The best part was that a dwarf with full plate and a greatsword called Mr. Bubbles followed her around and protected her. He was another PC, and could kill pretty much anything in one hit. Lucy had to break him out of jail more than once. She was smarter than most normal people, child prodigy or some such fluff. The reactions NPCs had to her after she dropped the innocent little girl act were priceless.

Morithias
2011-12-18, 02:53 AM
Definately Astronema. A wizard 10/Master Astrologist 10 who by using a truespeak check and a level 9 spell could 1/day summon either an Archdevil or a Demon Lord of CR 21 or less to do her bidding.

"I can cast gate and summon a pit fiend to fight you!"
"I can use my magic to summon Fierna to fight you how's that."

Ossian
2011-12-18, 08:54 AM
Vairembre the assassin! Drow Rogue/Assassin/Shadow Dancer (high teens). He was a scary-as-hell NPC that gave the party months and months of nightmares, basically they lived in fear of death night and day!

He was pretty buff and well equipped, good archer and better swordsman, and had an artefact called the "Veil of Darkness" that boosted the shadowjumps through the roof. He could practically appear wherever/whenever, and his sneak attack was really a pain :smallbiggrin:

Tetsubo 57
2011-12-18, 03:05 PM
1st edition AD&D. Sir Ranger Lord T'can. I played him from 1st level to 26th. By the time I stopped playing him he had a number of artifacts, a Sylph wife, a cybernetic Pegasus steed, powerful followers, a Mark V blaster pistol and part ownership of both a city and a space station. I loved him.

Vitruviansquid
2011-12-18, 03:43 PM
My favorite character that I ever came up with was an NPC in a game where the players were monster slayers for hire. In this session, they were supposed to investigate and resolve claims of undead coming to life in a quiet little hamlet known for having old burial mounds in its outskirts. As it turned out, the undead the coming out of the mounds because someone had stolen a precious item from their barrows.

The character was Dr. Ficker, professor of history, who was enchanted by everything old to the point of being fascinated with instead of afraid of the undead that killed and burned everything they came acros. He talked in an annoying, nasally voice and slept in the nude. Yes, him sleeping in the nude turned out to be a big deal in the players' investigation.

My favorite character that I played as a PC is probably Aven, the elf fighter (more realistically bandit or thug) who believed anything you could take was yours.

Aidan305
2011-12-18, 04:03 PM
Mine would be either Jonathan Tory, an 8-year old human reincarnation of an immensely powerful dragon (who would occasionally chat to him in his head and, on one occasion, took control of Jonathan) or Urkrug, a classic cliché Half-orc barbarian with all the tropes played to the fullest extent possible.

Radar
2011-12-18, 04:36 PM
My most memorable character would probably be a gnome alchemist I came up with for a freeform campaign on a small forum. Yes, he was talking fast and a lot, when he got excited and waved his hands like little helicopters. He was also immensly ugly due to all the burns and other alchemy-related injuries (pitchfork wounds count as that). He hauled his portable laboratory, ingredients, books and other posessions in a pair of humongous bags on his back. Was also fairly poor, so he usually experimented with cheap replacements of costly reagents and was quite eager to test his concoctions on unsuspecting party members (he was a cook) as well as himself. Ahh... good times, good times.
In fights he used flour or moonshine to blind his opponents and employed other dirty tricks. I even got to weaponize ogre's stomach into a concrate spitter (a bit like flame thrower, but build to keep monster's mostly intact).
He only ever feared farming tools.

Dr.Epic
2011-12-18, 04:40 PM
Tie:

One had +28 to bluff at level 5 (and some other decent skills).

The other had 22 str, 20 con, was a barbarian and had a hammer that did 3d6 damage with a crit modifier of x4 (this was at level 5).

Hunter Noventa
2011-12-19, 08:56 AM
One of my favorites had to be Saya Saeron, the most intimidating 16-year old girl in the world. Of course, wielding a pair of dwarven waraxes and having the ability to sometimes cleave someone twice her level in half probably helped with that.

Of course the character I'm playing right now is closing in awfully fast. But being a gestalt PF Soulknife//Swordsage who is more or less the Burning Gundam in catfolk form will kinda do that to you.

Merellis
2011-12-19, 11:01 AM
Angry Bear

He had an actual name, but spent the entire time as a bear just eating people.

Druidic Avenger/Frenzied Beserker/Warshaper/Natures Warrior

The reason he was my favorite? Came into the campaign biting a princess' head off, and left the campaign by getting stuck in Celestia fighting Solars until Frenzy ran out. Nearly killed this gestalted 20/20 Solar/Monk by coup-de-grace until too many Solars pulled him off by getting lucky.

So sad the GM wouldn't let me finish my last 10 rounds of frenzy to kill thos angels, would have been epic. :smallfrown:

Dimonite
2011-12-19, 05:35 PM
Zomwee Murnig, Gnome Sorcerer15/Dragon Disciple10. In a campaign setting designed around a bad pun, he rose from being a tiny, outcast mutant dwarf (the campaign setting did not, for some reason, include gnomes) to a force of nature that could burn through just about anything. My DM didn't like giving us magic items, so I took ALL of the crafting feats. We ended up with an arsenal that made the rouge about as effective as a mid-level Wizard at spellcasting. It was amazing.

TechnoScrabble
2011-12-20, 02:50 AM
Boad Hoignar's Son. Based off one of my DF dwarves. I brag about him all the time. I use him in multiple campaigns. The last surviving child out of a dwarf king's (who was also epic) 17 children.

As a light armor wearing, shield and short broadsword (I used bastard sword stats) and occasionally greataxe wielding fighter (I plan to try using him as an iron heart/stone dragon warblade or crusader at some point or another), Boad has:

Killed a fiendish great wyrm green dragon by stabbing it in the jewels
Used that dragon's head to kill a demon lord
Shield bashed a giant into submission
Cracked open a volcano with his admantine sword and threw several ogres into it
Strangled a seven headed pyrohydra to death
Lead a charge into hell itself
Killed an assassin/shadowblade dark elf with his own poisoned crossbow bolt while in the nude
Ripped a lich's arm off and pimp slapped him with it
Tackled an orc chieftain off of the chieftain's red dragon mount, stole (read: cut off the finger and slid the ring off) the chifetain's ring of feather falling, and then donned the ring, righted himself mid air, caught the chieftain by his foot, weed on him, and dropped the bugger
Took a ballista bolt to the face and lived to return it
Was abandoned in a forest with just an anymug (the goblins comic version) and a torch by some elves, and proceeded to burn the forest down, along with the elven city sequestered in it.
When the surviving elves of said city declared war on his dwarven sanctum (swearing to 'repay the favor') , he responded by mailing them a flint and tinder.

Krazzman
2011-12-20, 09:49 AM
Dr. Ficker,

I see what you did there...

My two favourite concepts are lost because of the campaign breaking up.

One was a tiefling that was once human, became a demon and was betrayed (lost his power and became a mere tiefling). He was member of an assassination guild and had to kill the paladin PC. He did it but since we were kicked out, the dm let him die too...

The other is Serek Thunderstrike. A Magus that had a rather harsh childhood, scarred like vash the stampede (from trigun) and he runs around with his intelligent scimitar called zelieve. Never got to ANY Roleplaying with him because of 2 sessions of introduction where the rogue and the damned wizard had to do solo adventuring by talking to the commander trice, tried to get a hooker and so on...

Bearpunch
2011-12-20, 11:14 AM
My favorite character is a tie:

A Lawful Evil Deva Psion that truly believes he is the worldy incarnation of Bane. He travels the world looking for followers in his upcoming conquest of the game world. He slaughters his enemies with no mercy, but he believes that those who fight for their own, or don't get the chance deserve some respect. (He obviously believes that the cult of Bane has some things wrong) I have yet to find out whether or not he actually IS the incarnation of Bane, but it should be fun either way.

And then there's Sensei Kurt (fighter/monk hybrid), also known as C**K Smasher, G-F***er, and MAST-er. THe first nickname was receieved back in his gladitorial days, where that was his chosen method of finishing his enemies, the second came from beating a level 9 (monster of course) Goliath in a fistfight. At level 1. And the third came from when he used his Cacaphonous Shout Daily, coupled with flammable alcohol he stored in his mouth, and gunpowder, and a Pixie Vampires cantrip to blow up the mast of a ship. Once again, at level 1.

During this same fight, he was turned into a hedgehog, so his Pixie pal (who always sits atop his shoulder) gave him the Pixie flight encounter, Kurt the Hedgehog then proceeded to crawl down the witches throat, into her stomach. On the witchs next turn, she didn't redo the hex, so I turned back into a medium sized creature... inside of the witch. Huzzah?

But the best thing he did was when the Kraken attacked their boat. Luckily, both Kurt and this Kraken spoke primordial, so Kurt not only talked the Kraken out of eating the boat, but they also became best friends forever. During this, the Pixie casted his fly encounter on the Kraken, and, due to its strange and magical nature (or DM desire), it began to fly, forever. So, our party mount is now a flying, talking Kraken. Then, to bring the adventure toa close, we all sang Come Sail Away while riding into the sunset.

Whoa, sorry for wall of text there.

Starscream
2011-12-20, 11:15 AM
I don't know about "best", but one I had a ton of fun playing was Alix, the sorcerer who didn't believe in magic.

Alix was basically a 13 year old mad scientist with an ego the size of the moon. He'd grown up in a tiny village without even so much as a local adept to provide magical services, so he assumed that all the adults who believed in things like magic and deities were complete idiots. He also thought that he himself was utterly brilliant, and devoted his life to studying "science", or at least what he thought was science.

Then he started developing sorcerer powers, and this just made him think he was right all along. All of his spells were based on "inventions" that did nothing at all, but Alix was entirely convinced they were amazing. He'd build some useless contraption out of sticks and metal (and coincidentally the necessary spell components) and declare it to be his Fireball Machine. "Obviously no one can just create a fireball from thin air, but this machine will do it. The bat guano is fuel, of course. And it only works so many times a day due to wear and tear on the parts. Oh, it doesn't work for you? Clearly you are an idiot and can't use it properly."

The other characters were driven mad by the depths of his delusion (though the players thought it was a scream). And it was a delusion; subconsciously Alix knew what was going on, but his rational brain would not accept such a thing. Magic items were just forgotten technology that modern people could recreate, but had no idea how they worked. Clerics were part of a conspiracy to abuse such technology and ascribe its properties to "gods" in order to rule the populace. Supernatural monsters were originally created in a lab somewhere, and had such technology grafted onto their genes.

To make the kid even more twisted, he was so committed to his perception of himself as a cliche "mad scientist", that he thought he was evil. He wasn't, but insisted on acting like it. When the party offered to help out a village, Alix would rant about how these tiny minded fools were undeserving, and should instead pledge their eternal loyalty to him on return for assistance. Then he'd go along and help anyway, because he had abandonment issues, and didn't want to be left behind. When we met the BBEG, Alix would propose an alliance (with the Big Bad subordinate to him, of course). And when rejected would help save the day just to prove that the guy was unworthy anyway.

The DM enjoyed this, and got in on the act. Anyone affected by Alix's Charm spells would not suddenly perceive him as a friend, but would instead start to believe his delusions; that he was right about everything and therefore deserving of respect. And dim-witted monsters would often take his claims at face value, and try to steal or buy the useless junk he claimed was responsible for his magic working.

Strormer
2011-12-20, 11:57 AM
A tie.

One was Count Johann Sebastian De Verius Faustus XIII, a LN necromancer cleric of WeeJas. He was a terribly jovial necromancer who ended up being the only nonevil character in the party except for the cleric of Pelor.

The other was Kiset the Long Arm, a womanizing rouge/assassin/vigilante who used a kusari gama among many other supplies. He had a number of weapons including spears and a dart thruster. He also wore a bandoleer, a scroll organizer, a potion belt, and a wand bracer. In other words, he had several weapons and a utility belt. In other words, I made the assassin batman. :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2011-12-20, 01:46 PM
A human monk. His personality was a strange mix. He was similar to say, xander from btvs in that he was a goof, frequently embarrassed himself in front of the rest of the party, yet frequently managed to find a way to save the day. He was a MASSIVE playful flirt, loved to sing love songs in his attempts to "seduce" the ladies, and would go into an insane rage any time he saw a woman get attacked. Let me put it this way, an elven female got hit once by some big white dragon, and he dashed right up into this huge monster and just started swinging away. Didnt matter that it could easily kill him, a lady got hurt, and this monster would pay. Thankfully my group was pretty good at keeping me alive in such scenarios. :p

Worguron
2011-12-20, 03:44 PM
So many choices.

I am going to have to go with Brother Bolson Supplicant of Deneir, a Human gestalt Fighter/Dervish//Monk. I joined a game well into the campaign (level 14 or 15) and had to come up with a way to integrate my character into a group that had been together since the EARLY levels (I think the newest character came into the group at around level 7). The hook I came up with was the wandering monk of the god of knowledge who has heard of the world-shaping exploits of the group and come to chronicle their feats.

Bolson was an older man who heard a fragment of the Song of Universal Harmony as a young man and became consumed with a desire to hear the song again. His Dervish skills were explained as him dancing and giving himself in to the power and flow of the Song.

Along the way, he became fast friends with Brand, the group's Halfling Sorceror//Monk, and Team Monk performed many feats of awesome together. Some highlights of their exploits:

1. The two of them taking point when the group was attacked by a large number of arrow demons and a barrage of around forty arrows per round each.

2. Approaching said Arrow Demons who were on tall pedestals and completely shocking them when Brand Dimension Doored next to one and Bolson made a standing high jump to land next to another.

3. Bolson being swallowed whole by an Advanced Fiendish T-Rex and then punching his way out of the thing's stomach.

For joining the group late in the game (we ended up going to level 19 or so) and only being part of the game for eight months out of the three year span the game took, Bolson was beloved by the group and myself. His final reward after helping defeat an evil god who was trying to overthrow Ao the all god was the ability to hear the Song of Universal Harmony.

Gimur
2011-12-21, 02:35 AM
Oh man, compared to some of the stories here, mine seem to pale in comparison.

But one character in particular I'll always remember for one particular moment. A 3 Wizard/3 Psion whose name I can't quite recall..
We needed a distraction to get by some guards, and there was some rotted furniture off to the side that was going to be hauled off later. My character saw this as a perfect opportunity to animate them, and have them run off and attack the guards, and lead them off on a wild goose chase, freeing up the party to continue. Oh how I love it when the dice fall in favor of the ridiculous.

Sermil
2011-12-22, 02:58 AM
One thing I like about Ars Magica is how it encourages cool character concepts. I've built a lot of interesting magi, but I'll always have a soft spot for Therissity of the Silver Eye.

The Ars Magica rules say that one of the few flaws that magi can't take is "Blind". Of course, as soon as I saw that, I had to make a blind magus.

Therissity (Argentum Terisitia Oculi, to give her proper magus name) was born utterly blind, to a poor peasant family. When her mater Octavia found her and began her apprenticeship, she tried to get Therissity's sight restored, as normal for the Order. But the covenant's only Creo expert was unable to help, muttering darkly about "essential nature." Octavia, being a following of Verditius (magi famous for their skill with magic items -- and the weakness of their spontaneous magic), solved the problem in typical Verditius fashion -- with a magic item, the Silver Eye.

The Silver Eye is a necklace with a large circular, silver pendant on the end, into which is traced the symbol of an open eye. Its main power is a simple & permanent Intellego Imaginem spell which lets the wearer "see" out of the eye of the pendant. For 15 years now, this has been Therissity's only means of sight.

The Silver Eye was actually one of Therissity's main flaws -- it counted as a missing eye (-1) and also basically left her unable to use both hands in combat or other situations with a lot of motion (she needed to use one hand to steady the pendant). It was also just a bit disturbing to watch her -- she was clearly blind (her eyelids were sunken inwards, as happens with people with no eyeballs) yet she moved like a sighted person. As much as possible when playing her, I talked to other people with my eyes closed while pointing an imaginary pendant in my hand at them. She also had a deep and lasting fear of losing her sight again, of being cast back into the darkness of her childhood, and she would freak if anything threatened to take the Silver Eye away from her.

Unfortunately, that saga ended before we got very far, but I always hope I can get into another Ars Magica game and resurrect her.

KingofMadCows
2011-12-22, 03:13 AM
Probably Vandore, a psion/monk/homebrew psionic prestige class. Formerly a member of the Society of Sensation, he was captured and blinded by slavers. After he escaped, he chose not to restore his sight because using his powers to see gave him new insight into nature of psionics. Over time, he used his physical senses less and less in favor of his powers. Eventually he chose to remove or destroy his sensory organs and nerves all together, relying entirely on his powers to perceive the world.

Bobmufin52
2011-12-22, 03:20 AM
Mine was defiantly Zanathar. He was a two bladed sword fighter in a PF game who’s entire goal in life was to gain as many titles as possible, going so far as to break into a multi-dimensional arena so he could fight in the gladiatorial games. His general antics included using his own name as a battle cry, using his team mates’ blood as ink (without their permission), speaking in the 3rd person, and being an overall hyperactive annoyance. My entire group loved him OOC, not so much IC though. XD

Averil
2011-12-22, 03:31 AM
My favorite so far was from a homebrew system based off of the Mass Effect series. She was a Krogan (the tanks, in other words) who was scared of every living thing except for plants. Her name was Rox Wyn (I was going to name her Rox Sox or just 'Wynning', so I just threw the names together). She has saved 2 plants in the session so far by gluing them onto her head-plate and gets thrown into a blood rage frenzy whenever they are harmed. I got 3 points of damage away from killing a teammate because of it.

NichG
2011-12-22, 03:39 AM
My best character? I guess it takes a bit of background. I generally consider myself a high-Int low-Wis person IRL, so I decided to try to play a character that was very very Wisdom driven to ridiculous degree, to see if I could learn from the experience. It worked out pretty well in my book.

The character was Mardyr the Wise, Born of the First Mountain, etc, etc, etc. Essentially a god stripped of his powers due to the destruction of his world and entire faith base. The character concept was 'considered the wisest out of his pantheon of Norse-alike barbarian-esque deities' as in, not wise at all. And he basically presented this front to the party, all the while working stuff out about the campaign in his head.

So then I'd have Mardyr randomly go off and declare 'These corpses we have found: you prepare to fight them upon their rise as undead, yet have you considered, who else could have sent the rescue request that we have received? These undead clearly need our help!' This would be comic, except that he had about a 95% accuracy rate on these things, usually involving spotting crazy twists the GM had planned far in advance. The party called him 'the natural enemy of pattern recognition', but he ended up kind of having a subtle mentorship/leadership role.

He also had a tendency to totally eschew subtlety to apparently disastrous levels at just the right time so that it actually worked out. At one point we were investigating a world with an underdark that had seemingly been stripped clean of the normal inhabitants of such places. We found evidence of some sort of light that captured things and took them to another plane (it was a demon pretending to be a god of light that was torturing the inhabitants of the underdark). Along the way we heard noise produced by an army that had marched down to the underdark in the name of their god to cleanse the evil underdark races. The rest of the party hid, but Mardyr basically stood out in plain sight in the tunnel.

The commander said 'Who are you and what are you doing here?', to which Mardyr responded 'I'm a god hailing from beyond the death of all universes, hunting a demon pretender to find out what it knows about the end times'. They asked him to prove this. Enter Lv2 Swordsage maneuvers refluffed as divine power 'The stone of this mountain doth not stand before me - look as I cut it with my bare hands! Watch as I glow as the sun!' etc. This worked pretty well, so we ended getting the entire army to hesitantly believe us and support us in the battle.

The biggest example of weird insight was that the big bad guys we discovered early on were actually put there specifically for us to fight by someone whose only real goal was to get us to open a door only we could open. Essentially we found out that there were 13 Asura who were responsible for destroying all of our worlds, and we kept hearing that if we fought and defeated them we could save our worlds. But it didn't really fit - the Asura were too self-interested and didn't seem to have a real reason to fight or do whatever. So Mardyr ended up almost causing the party to dissolve over whether or not to actually fight these Asura (there was another PC who was really gungho about killing them). But in the end, the insight was right.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed playing the sort of intuitive high-wisdom don't need to explain, just feel type character. The character also developed a lot, starting as a kind of impulsive rowdy battle-loving and mostly amoral god of growth through conflict (in his backstory he let monsters out of the underworld just to give mortals something to fight and triumph over), and ended up as a pretty strongly compassionate and thoughtful defender of other cosmic entities that were essentially abused by their fates and cosmic roles. Save those fated to die from having to sacrifice themselves, that kind of thing. Ended up being very concerned over the distance created by personal power, the tendency to just make a mess because you know you can just trivially wave your hand and undo a thousand deaths.

Vacant
2011-12-22, 09:51 PM
I don't know if I'd solidly say my best, but one of my favorites was Klilo Deathbound, a halfling fighter/paladin. I joined a campaign somewhere shortly before moving away, so I set up a character who was foretold to die at a certain time to make fun of the fact that his days in the campaign were objectively numbered. He was a halfling fighter/paladin, and he for real did not give a ****. At all. He knew when he was gonna die, why bother worrying at any point up until then. This lead to him losing his arm fighting a dinosaur, then having it replaced with a medium-sized flail (his next feat was "Exotic Weapon Proficiency: flail-arm"). Then he went up against a dragon. Having learned his lesson about using an arm as a distracting chew-toy while stabbing something in the eye, decided to be swallowed whole, then chug a potion of enlarge person on the way down and see who was suffocated first. The dragon lost that one, but not before it killed the rogue. So, a while later, the party found themselves at a trapped door that led into the next big fight. We all know we can't disarm the trap, but we've managed to discern it's explosive. Klilo Deathbound knew the solution, and it was punching that insolent-ass trap right in its mouth. After all, the explosion would open the door, so it wasn't like he'd need a hand to pull it open. So he loses his other arm about halfway up the forearm. Well, he does have a grappling hook, why not just have the sorcerer fuse it into his arm?

This leads to brave little Klilo, on the day he's foretold to die, facing down a demon with a flail for an arm and grappling hook for a hand. Well, he's got a strong chain and something to anchor to it, and he had his motto: "If it has a neck, I can kill it." Cue a series of unbelievably lucky strength checks to continue garroting a minor demon lord while it slams him into the walls with all its strength, he takes fire damage from its body, and he's included in every AOE your party throws at it. That wasn't his plan, though, that was just to get it mad while he worked the grappling hook around and stabbed it into the demon's neck. Of course, a puny little grappling hook isn't still going to kill it. No, what was going to kill it was when, still trying to throw off the forty pounds of fury ineffectually attempting to choke it, it made a bad roll and snapped its own neck on the fulcrum of his grappling hook, weasel-versus-bear style. Much like the tenacious weasel, little Klilo just had to hang on long enough, and he did. Of course, the last two rounds he was unconscious and dying but, since the grappling hook was fused onto his body, he wasn't about to let go. He finally died from the crushing damage of being beneath the demon when it fell.

Kulture
2011-12-25, 06:58 PM
My favorite character was Tobias Kirkland, a Rogue 2/ Assassin 3/ Master spy 10 I played in an extremely low magic pathfinder campaign (no divine magic, arcane caused sanity damage).

He spent his time as the party's eyes and ears, using scrying shards and scrying beacons to keep track of the corrupt nation the party worked for.

I managed to get the DM to swap out my nondetection ability at level 5 mastery spy for the 3.0 song and silence version that allows me to detect divination on a DC20 spot check.

This was largely forgotten about until he rejoined the party when they returned to the city and the DM started scrying on the party.

The person scrying was meant to be a recurring guile villain mage who had increased casting but greatly lowered health due to a con of about 6.

He tries scrying on the party and I roll a spot check in the mid 40s (low for me) and suddenly the evil corrupt magister's brain is foaming out of his ears as my deathglimpse locket maxes its damage out and causes 60 points of damage to him, killing him instantly.

Best thing is that the government knew that someone was scrying on them, but Tobias' scry defences were so high that no one could tell who he was, causing mass paranoia within the courts that lead to a civil war that purged the local assassins' guild's leadership after some high profile hits.

By the end of the campaign I'd successfully become head of the paladin order, the intelligence bureau, the assassins' guild and a cabal of antipaladins, all under different identities.

In the entire campaign the only attack I ever made was a death attack against a visiting young noble's would-be assassin. With a wand of create water. It was reasoned that I tore his brain apart with hydrolic pressure.

Wings of Peace
2011-12-26, 04:55 AM
A human Sorcerer by the name Michael J. (Julius) Valentine. It was a level 40 campaign (none of the players except me knew much about optimization so it worked).

He was a pimp from Sigil who used his massive charisma score and magic to make up for not being the best at conducting business. Since his business in Sigil was essentially self sustaining he decided to take a "vacation" and see what all the ha-bub about adventuring was.

He was originally a whimsical comedy character who got excited when adventures matched tropes and when it seemed like the group was going to die. After awhile people got fond of him so I decided not to kill him off.

Lifeson
2011-12-26, 10:05 AM
Either my Kokiri bard in the Ocarina of Time game here, who managed to get most of Hyrule's guards to believe he was just some noble's kid, or when I played Twilight Sparkle under my buddy's nose without him realizing it. (Complete with being a cleric of Celestia.)

Anecronwashere
2011-12-27, 10:23 PM
Davik Kang (D&D4E)
A 1,000+ year old man with Death's Cloak (literally Death's Cloak, he won it in a card game.. don't ask) who was learning all he could about magic. He was the Ritualist of the Party as well as a Minionmancer (his Zombies upped everyone's AC by standing next to them and could lay the beatdown on anyone despite only having 1HP each)
The DM played a bit loose on the rules and came up with Aura magic (among other things, this one was focused on my char though).
Basically due to his high Arcana (+12 for Arcana checks, +14 for Aura due to a +2 from reading) he could take control of Zombies who were bound to a Controlling Ritual (the Ritual allowed users designated as "Master" to change the commands of the Zombies and he essentially hacked into it's Aura to be designated as the only "Master"), literally stepped into a pit and took no falling damage (the ground was cushioned by the Corpses I threw down to reanimate later) while I intimidated the crap out of my enemies (billowing cloak, unable to see my face except for two glowing eyes that shot out crackling purple lightning to play around the hood as I land gracefully ontop of a pile of cadavers).
I'm also a lvl20 (in backstory, I'm holding back to lvl4 and am going to be the BBEG later on) and am collecting an army to rule the world.

My other one is Anon Y. Mouse (D&D3.5). The Incarnation of Chaos who was the Ultimate Shapeshifter.
As long as it had 20 or less HD/LA she could become it completely.
she could be treated as Hiding in Cover despite standing in an open field for IntMod Rounds and generally pretends to be a Longsword on the Incarnation of "Pragmatic Loyalty" *cough*Betrayal*cough*.
she hasn't assumed her "True Form" in thousands of years ever since her identical twin shapeshifter sister was tossed into a 1-use mirror-portal to an empty void.
It's been so long that Anon can't remember whether she was the reserved one or the one that always dragged the reserved one into pulling pranks on everyone (especially the other Incarnations who were around then, though most have passed on their titles to others).

She is also the rightful ruler of several thousand kingdoms, empires and dictatorships and can assume the form of all the rulers of all the kingdoms she doesn't own.

Anderlith
2011-12-28, 12:48 AM
Starwars Saga

I played an Imperial Soldier during the time between the prequels & the original trilogy. Named Andin Archfire, human, male, I started out as a mercenary who around level 3ish took over an entire Star Destroyer solo (with some good planing & a Computer Check or two) When I worked for the Empire I developed a fondness for thermal detonators & jury-riging bombs to things like speeder bikes. Most of my badass feats came from not caring if my character lived or died (It was supposed to be a one shot adventure that turned into a full campaign) after I survived & thrived, I made the over-the-top heroics a permanent trait of the character. My party kind of hated me because for some reason I could charge enemy lines & do heroic stuff but when they tried they died. Andin developed such reckless nature that none of my original party survived (please note that I never got them into a situation where they would die, & tried to save them as much as I could) He was kind of like Spears in Band of Brothers. He killed a force user & took his lightsaber (officially making him even more badass) He even stared down a Hutt crimeboss & got him to back down (while surrounded by guards & only wielding a Carbine & a few grenades). He wasn't bulletproof though, he nearly got killed a lot. The DM had a love/hate relationship with trying to kill him. He never broke the rules or fudged the dice... but he wanted him killed. We eventually stopped playing, but now everytime I play Starwars my character's last name is always Archfire & they are all part of the "Archfire bloodline" no matter what the era of play

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-28, 01:25 AM
Mine was probably a 8 year old girl called Lucy. She was (is actually, still playing her) a rogue, with ridiculous skills. +25 stealth at level 5. Almost always got at least 30 on checks. She was the leader of a thieves guild. The best part was that a dwarf with full plate and a greatsword called Mr. Bubbles followed her around and protected her. He was another PC, and could kill pretty much anything in one hit. Lucy had to break him out of jail more than once. She was smarter than most normal people, child prodigy or some such fluff. The reactions NPCs had to her after she dropped the innocent little girl act were priceless.

Is this Bioshock inspired?

SCPRedMage
2011-12-29, 06:25 AM
In a Blood of Heroes game (basically the MEGS system from the old DC Super-Heros game, with a new setting since they lost the DC license), I played a character with VERY potent Illusion and Telekinetic powers, in a campaign were heroes essentially acted as licensed super-powered bounty hunters.

I should probably mention that this character was a cat, and spent his bounty money on tuna and cable TV.

Tobimaro
2011-12-30, 12:14 AM
My two favorite characters were both in the Living Greyhawk (D&D 3.5) campaign. My first was Grovar Duden, dwarven high priest of Muammam Duathal (minor dwarven diety of travel and refugees). He finally retired as a cleric 18, a noble in a couple of realms, and a guardian of a human baby as well. He met many adventurers along the way, with his favorite companions being the paranoid half-elf rogue/sorcerer/arcane trickster and the hippy halfling druid (with her celestial rhinoceros animal companion). Grovar also had a dwarven barbarian/fighter henchman, who's greatest accomplishment was to kill the son of Old Wicked in one round (three confirmed critical hits with a holy greataxe will do that).

The second character was Master Euripides Burton the Liberator, master actor from Dyvers. The 15th level bard was at his best near the end of his adventuring career, as he amassed a lot of tools (magic items and feats) to enhance his versatility. He had 20 daily uses of bardic performance (a feat and a magic item gave him more uses) which he used to increase his spell casting ability (lyric spell feat), and his lingering song feat made his performances last longer. He also owned the item set The Raiment of the Four, which gave him more options.

His two best adventuring stories were when he saved his fellow adventurers from a harpy by blindly starting a countersong when the fighters started to act funny, and when he stopped a deathshrieker by casting a Sculpt Sound spell on it and then telling the shrieker to shut up (after having several dice rolls go in his favor). Euripides's only boon companion was Joan, the warrior priestess of the Lord of Swords. His story was that he got tired of being the only healer in several adventures, so he hired a cleric to help out. And her owning a magic sword that could cast Stoneskin (for the cost of three turn checks) only increased their versatility.

Those were good times indeed.

TurtleKing
2011-12-30, 01:26 AM
Oh god.

First is Thigardo, Prinny Deity of Legend. He was legendary.

Dr. Frunkon a Fleshcrafter 9 who didn't raise the dead. He died to a cure resistant disease. His daughter gets infected so adventuring to find the cure.

Lockheed a Baby Black Dragon 4/Duskblade 2 in a pirate campaign. Could solo encounters due to his talents.

Starscream
2011-12-30, 02:53 PM
First is Thigardo, Prinny Deity of Legend. He was legendary.

Prinny? You have Prinnies in your D&D campaign?

...I want to join, dood.

Erik von Nein
2011-12-30, 07:57 PM
There was Daneilla THE CRIMSON DYNAMO (a Wizard/Warblade/Jade Phoenix Mage/Abjurant Champion) who fancied herself a true hero. Impulsive, somewhat wreckless, and prone to announcing her name with a dramatic pose she was hilarious to play. Went with unarmed striking anything within reach. Managed to half kill a beefed up Tarrasque at 16th-ish level on Mars.

Then there was Xander from the same game. Was a Psion/Anarchic Initiate who ended up becoming a god via saving the town he was mayor of from a falling giant stone phallus with ectoplasmic walls. Ended up taking over Earth in a snowglobe. Always had some power or the other for the situation, even if they were mostly mind-effecting.

One of my NPCs always was good for a laurf. Ben, the completely un-optimized warrior 2/monk 10. His one redeeming feature was that he'd constantly be rolling 20s, while anything that attacked him rolled ones. I went out of my way a couple times to try and kill him, just because I never meant for him to last past 2 sessions, but the party kept saving him. Ended up becoming the leader of the nation he came from, until he became a de facto god of luck in our group.

TurtleKing
2011-12-31, 01:13 AM
@Starscream: I played Thigardo and was awesome in spite of all the treatment and failures inherent to a prinny. One instance of awesome is becoming a deity at level 5. If you really want to play a prinny (aka DM's _itch) go PM Pika.

togapika
2011-12-31, 02:51 AM
My favorite character was one from a hackmaster game. He was an elf who's alternate identity was The Scarlet Pimp
He had two PC characters obsessed with him, one was his pretty pink princess cavalier type girlfriend who was obsessed with him normally, the other was the spellcaster who was a fangirl of The Scarlet Pimp

Silus
2012-01-02, 01:39 PM
1. Jillian, my 12-year-old Lawful Neutral Human paladin for a videogame inspired 3.5 game. Ended with the highest kill count. Wanna bring her back at some point. Butchered enemies with a Medium sized (she was Small) blue-ice Greatsword (+1 slashing damage). Monkey Fist, Power Attack and Extra smiting =3

2. Nikolai, by first OWoD character. A Russian Brujah (cliche, I know) that, while having angst, didn't let himself be controlled by it. Never went "Oh woe is me", though he did tend to fly into rages at times (Like when he found his newly turned childe butchered with her fangs torn out). Was a merc that used a lead-filled steel pipe to kill things. Spoke in a bad russian accent whenever I played him. Fun as hell.

@Starscream: I played Thigardo and was awesome in spite of all the treatment and failures inherent to a prinny. One instance of awesome is becoming a deity at level 5. If you really want to play a prinny (aka DM's _itch) go PM Pika.

Warning: Broken in terms of combat (Cannot die).

TurtleKing
2012-01-02, 07:18 PM
Also another warning to playing a prinny. It is in some ways a very Mary/Marty Sue-ish character due to being at the mercy of the DM. As long placate the DM you have Plot Armor. The other players may hate you. ALOT!

@Silus: Wish could still play with you. You were so fun to play with because of your characters that just watching would be enough. Oh what about your "Morale Officer" of that pirate campaign. Also your "Bards". You are also a pretty good DM and loved how well done your NPCs were. Any chance of getting into pbp games on this forum?

Silus
2012-01-02, 07:25 PM
Also another warning to playing a prinny. It is in some ways a very Mary/Marty Sue-ish character due to being at the mercy of the DM. As long placate the DM you have Plot Armor. The other players may hate you. ALOT!

@Silus: Wish could still play with you. You were so fun to play with because of your characters that just watching would be enough. Oh what about your "Morale Officer" of that pirate campaign. Also your "Bards". You are also a pretty good DM and loved how well done your NPCs were. Any chance of getting into pbp games on this forum?

*Laughs* Ah, Amalee. The "Moral Officer" that shagged then murdered a pirate captain. Then got knocked up.

And for those that are wondering, the Bard in question turned a goblinoid garrison on itself by convincing half of them to unionize.

As for pbp, not sure to be honest. :smalltongue:

Shadowleaf
2012-01-02, 07:30 PM
Abu Zarbek Imal Ibn Nirai Ibn Misrï al-Rashiid Abd al-Hakam I think his name was (it was a few years back, and I had an Arabic-speaking friend helping me with the name).
I remember his name roughly translated to father of Zarbek, first name Imal, from Egypt, son of Nirai, the righteously guided servant of the Judge.
He was an Assamite I played in a 2 year playthrough of the Transylvanian Chronicles. Despite being the most stereotypical Assamite (religious, warrior caste, diablerist, etc.), he was still the most interesting character I have ever played, mainly because I had to learn so much about Arabic culture (which I still love and learn about today). He ended up being pretty powerful with something like 6 dots in Melee, 5 dots Obfuscate, 6 dots Quietus, 4 dots Potence, 4 dots Celerity and almost all 4-6's in his Attributes. He even ended up with Thaumaturgy and Dark Thaumaturgy.
I will never forget his death: He, alongside two equally screwed Assamites, charged a 4th generation Tremere in the middle of performing a circle magic ritual (as he was cursing the Assamite clan, Treaty of Tyre). My storyteller even let me attempt to dodge/soak the 46 damage aggravated. :smallbiggrin:

legomaster00156
2012-01-02, 11:48 PM
My favorite was my 4e character Vasylay. He was a Drow Rogue/Sorcerer Hybrid (PHB3 for the rules). He was very, very charismatic. He had a pocketwatch that boosted his Charisma, literally. He was also greedy, cunning, and occasionally ruthless. However, he was most definitely good-hearted. He worshipped Kord, god of strength and storms, and was undyingly loyal to him. His favorite weapon was a simple, 1d4 Dagger.
One of the more humorous aspects of Vasylay was his nature as a Fourth Wall Observer: he, and only he, knew that he was merely a character in a game, and he would frequently use game terms. He was, due to this, marked as slightly insane by even his own party. (There was one other character that knew: Death, an NPC. He was the typical Grim Reaper type, and he served the DM directly. This put him even above the gods of death.)

His first quest was put to a quick end, but a fun one. The entire world was highly racist, mostly against the "hellspawn" Tieflings. While our Tiefling Bard rallied people around him in peaceful protest, Vasylay went to a tavern to find any quests. He decided to interrogate the bartender... and killed him when he was denied information. Ok, maybe he was a teensy bit insane during this particular campaign. When that happened, Paladins immediately entered the bar, looking for the murderer. Vasylay was safely hidden in the shadows. He lit up some barrels of alcohol, and the tavern went into flames. One Paladin nearly caught him, but in an acrobatic stunt Vasylay kicked him into the path of a falling ember. Vasylay escaped the tavern safely, but the Paladins did not.
Now, through a series of events I cannot remember, we ended up at court... and Death himself was the judge. Vasylay viciously defended his alignment of Chaotic Good (we were using the traditional 3.X alignment system) whilst demanding his saving throws against death. Finally, he took out 3d10 and rolled them. He rolled decently, but he'd just pissed off Death, the ultimate judge. He was sent to eternal torment, where he cackled madly at his percieved "victory" over Death.
----------
The only quest Vasylay actually survived very long in was called Altar of Evil. The main city was on the edge of a demon-ruled valley, and on the opposite side was the demon's lair. He was guarding an artifact that may have been the key to his undoing. Naturally, the party was tasked with going after it.
I'll summarize the prologue briefly for your sake. Basically, what happened was that Vasylay got hit with his Daily spell and his own At-Will in the first encounter, and he delivered the killing blow to the first solo monster in another encounter. Also, he discovered his +1 CHA pocketwatch.
The party advanced into the valley. At one point, they descended into a sloped pit... and wer set upon by a harpy, to whom it was a home. In a stupid moment, Vasylay grappled it. The harpy could fly. Vasylay could not. However, he could hold on... but instead, he decided it was time for a crazy stunt to finish this battle. He cut off the harpy's wings with his dagger. He then rode the falling harpy to the ground, maneuvering it so that the harpy would take the majority of the damage, and making an Acrobatics check to halve the damage. The harpy died in the crash against the ground... and Vasylay didn't even get a scratch. Upon looting the body, Vasylay found a mysterious gold locket. He kept it with him, realizing that it would probably help him with something later.
In a later development, we found a large rock outcropping by a river. Underneath the outcrop was a black dragon. You read that right. And he was on a pile of treasure. Now, being the kleptomaniac that he was, Vasylay couldn't leave until he had a piece of that shiny treasure. Unfortunately, the dragon woke up. Vasylay went into "social Rogue" mode, insisting on playing a game for the treasure. He chose Hide and Seek. Against all odds, he lost. The dragon scarred his cheek permanently as punishment for attempting to steal his treasure.
Now, here's where it got interesting: when Vasylay died. He tried to befriend a shark for some mad reason, and got killed by it. Yeah, pathetic death, I know. But then, Death told him that he had been chosen by the DM to come back, albeit in a different body. He was reborn... as a Revenant.
After explaining his new body to his allies, they befriended the black dragon, learning that he was the typical exception to the chromatic = evil rule. In a battle against a demon later in the story, the dragon was near-fatally wounded. In the meantime, Vasylay had been stealing the freaking chamber door. The reason for this was that rather than simply walking in, Vasylay had blasted it, and the DM concluded that the door was not harmed at all. Vasylay took this to mean that the otherwise normal oak door was impervious to damage, and would serve him well as a shield. Yeah... for whatever reason, the DM let me carry it. He let me carry an enormous, solid oak door to use as a shield.
----------
Well, there's more, but the details of the game are sketchy to me. It ended on a disappointing note, when we got sucked into a void between time and space to wander lost forever, but it was a fun campaign while it lasted. Sorry about the lack of detail in my story.

Axon_Viking
2012-01-05, 02:03 AM
I played a Shadar-Kai, except we got his race stats off the internet instead of the books (we were to lazy to look for it and google just looked so easy). So he ended up being way better then he should have, greater teleport every 3 hours and +8 hide and move silent when in the dark. So I played a rouge 5/shadow dancer 5/ assassin 2 and stole everything I laid eyes on.

Deck of many things, another player got a card that made an NPC attack you (picked by the DM) so we enter a wizards shop, he magically puts all the item in the store in a chest behind him, while summoning monsters. The party fights them and the wizard is just sitting back casting spells, I run dead at the wizard everyone thinks yeah he will kill the wizard! Run past the wizard grab the chest and teleport out. Almost had a full party wipe because of that. I ended up with so many magic items from that... and after i sold them I bought stealth items. I could roll hide easily in the 60's and had almost a 500k gp. The rest of the party were always short on cash and wondering why they were missing that 1000 gp.

brann miekka
2012-01-05, 07:09 AM
Well my best has to be Beau bramblestrider, a lvl 30 glimmerskin halflng rogue/whisperknife/fighter/invisible blade/dervish who had been chosen (he considered it a curse) by dalla thaun to be the savior of his clan. A little information stat-wise was his close to 50 reflex save a 189 hide/move silently check and a pair of dragon bone daggers that served as his main weapons that could pull 13d6 extra damage out of the sky with 16 attacks around all against a flat footed apponent. He also carried 5 returning daggers around for ranged attacks.

Probably his greatest exploit was soloing a cr 30 ancient white dragon and his fallen paladin dragon born rider without ever being seen (due to the dark templates hide in plain site) so he would appear out of the swirling snow singing, in halfling, a dirge to the dragon and riders death, dervish dance, then dissapear back into the snow leaving only a chilling echo of his song 'til next round. Walked back into town after that one, covered in blood holding a large and In total probably +16 greatsword that I stabbed into the chair, right between the kings legs. His guards drew their swords on me so I stopped, smiled then vanished (due to my cape of the mountebank) only leavin a note that said "I'll be back for my pay" on the stone ground in the circle of guards ( who I very easily could have slaughtered)

DigoDragon
2012-01-05, 07:41 AM
My best character was Amaya Miyagi, a 16-year old emancipated goth-loving girl with a gift for spell casting. The campaign ran much like X-Files (using d20 modern) and Amaya worked for the FBI as a field consultant in their Paranormal Research department. She was street-smart, sassy, and good with dry humor.

What I really liked about Amaya was that her role on the investigative team often became that of Dana Scully from X-Files: She was usually the rational one that would come up with resonable explanations for the various paranormal cases she was assigned. Yeah, despite the fact she could cast low-level arcane spells.
Kinda ironic. And I loved that aspect.

Her "Fox Mulder" foil was Ronnie Cordova, another agent on the team who was willing to believe anything paranormal and went to great lengths to try and get evidence of such. Put these two in a room with some paranormal happenstance and our respective players came up with the wittiest banter ever. Often left the Game Master in stitches. :smallsmile:

Tolan Axender
2012-01-06, 06:42 PM
Ulfgar Axender II (My current 3.5e character - Dwarf Fighter 6)

To start, his ancestry is a bit... strange. His father was one of my original 3.5e characters, Ulfgar Axender. His mother was also one of my original characters, Ulfgarita Axender. As you may have guessed, they also happen to be the same character, since Ulfgar Senior's backstory included being cursed by a witch for being a lecherous misogynist. The curse involved being revived immediately upon death, but in the opposite gender. It also involved an intense desire to live (unless dying would protect any children of his.) I did this originally to make it easy to "roll a new character." However, my DM eventually had enough of Ulfgar's shenanigans (he died frequently... but more out of stupidity than any premeditated actions) and decided that he needed to be drowned in some (very deep) quicksand. And since he was wearing his signature full-plate armor, he sank to the bottom - to suffocate for all eternity (or until the quicksand dried up).

So when I created Ulfgar Axender II, I decided that his father, Ulfgar Axender I, eventually got out of the quicksand (after many decades of death-by-suffocation) but ended up emerging as a male dwarf. Many years passed and, after a night of intense drinking and copulation, he died during the night and got himself pregnant after reincarnating as the opposite gender (I will not go into details...) Sadly, Ulfgar(ita) did not survive giving birth to Ulfgar Junior, but after reincarnating again as a male, he did raise Ulfgar II in a fatherly role, though he would always tell Ulfgar Junior that his mother died in childbirth... (which is technically true...)

And now Ulfgar II's current quest involves finding his father after he mysteriously "disappeared" one night...